Which Country Could Become A Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Germany these titles still exist as part of the persons surname. Only in Austria they are forbidden (but still used anyway). The diplomatic form has always been to use titles after the first name, so the present practice isn't all that peculiar. Restoration of monarchies in Germany on a state basis? King of Bavaria, Grand Duke of Hesse etc. I think it would be great but it's not going to happen. It's gone and will not return.

Gerard

Thank you for your answer. I fully agree that it is not going to happen but I was wondering whether, other than Bavaria, there are any parts of Germany where monarchist sentiment for the 'local' royal house exists, not as a political 'movement' necessarily.

Thank you for your answer. I fully agree that it is not going to happen but I was wondering whether, other than Bavaria, there are any parts of Germany where monarchist sentiment for the 'local' royal house exists, not as a political 'movement' necessarily.

Well, I feel the Germans are besotted with Royalty, as long as it's not their own. I've encountered many Germans who take an interest in their local history and in for instance Prussian history, but it never seems to be joined by a longing or sentimentality about the lost monarchies. In Lippe, where a Prince is still residing in the old castle, I've heard people refer to him and they kind of like that he's still there, but it doesn't go any further than that.

Gerard

Russia

With Nationalism rising in Russia due to political issues and several heirs to the Russian throne still exist, including Maria Vladimirovna and Nicholas Romanov, there is a possibility that one day in the not to distant future, say 15-20 years Russia could become a constitutional Monarchy a evren further step from the dark ages of Stalin and the communist gulags, and USSR disintegration, that could also give more morale to Russian citizens and lead to better relations with the European powers.

:previous:
Perhaps, people of the Russian Federation should call the Zemsky Sobor and elect a new dynasty to rule. It is worth noting that "the dark ages of Stalin and the communist gulags" left lovely space programme and a base for developing military weapons.

Last edited:
The problem with Russian monarchism is that there's so much infighting within the family making it unclear who the monarchists should be supporting and making them come across as a bit petty and unfit to rule.

I think if the Romanovs are serious about wanting a restoration they have to go a long ways towards getting their act together first.

The problem with Russian monarchism is that there's so much infighting within the family making it unclear who the monarchists should be supporting and making them come across as a bit petty and unfit to rule.

I think if the Romanovs are serious about wanting a restoration they have to go a long ways towards getting their act together first.

I don't think that being a Republic is their biggest problem at the moment....

Gerard

Russia is not a Republic. Russia is a Federation.

A federation of republics...

The SU was a federation of Republics. Only a few of Russia's federal subjects are called Republics. Federation is in the name and make up of the country. That doesn't make it not a Republic. It's basically a Federal Republic.

Gerard

To come back on topic: the only way to re-instate a monarchy is going the Franco way. That means: a strong man who decides that it is in the country's interest to have a (purely ceremonial - he does not want to loose power, of course) royal head of state from "the historic dynasty" which has to be the embodiment of the country's new-found self-consciousness, pride and glory.

Well, that means "strong men" as a Vladimir Putin, as a Viktor Orbán, as a Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who propose the Parliament -which often acts like puppets to their puppet master- to restore the Russian, the Hungarian or the Turkish royal families into a "Sweden-style" monarchy.

Other than this "strong man scenario" I see no any possibility to let republics turn into monarchies again. The case of Greece, where a state has so utterly failed as no any other European state in recent history, where the people are so confronted with the toughest and most draconic austerity measures, even there no any call was made to send the utter failures home and bring back "the good old days" (well... they were not thát good, but okay). When even in such a situation, a nation shaking on its foundations and on the brink of total collapse, there is no any desire for the monarchy as an alternative to the arch-corrupt, nepotist, disfunctional constitiution, then there is no hope for old royal families to be restored again.

The only possible way is an "enforcement", for an example by an alliance of Putin, the Orthodox Church, the elite, the armed forces. In fact similar to Franco, backed by the elite, the Catholic Church and the armed forces enforcing that Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón would be his successor as head of state, as King of Spain.

A few questions for posters from Germany and Austria:

Does anyone think that one day the law that abolished the nobility and forbids the use of titles may one day be changed in Austria to allow people to use their titles again?

Similarly, in Germany, how would people feel about legal recognition of the use of old titles, for example say, Alexander Prinz zu Schaumburg-Lippe using the form Prinz Alexander zu Schaumburg-Lippe?

Finally, if the German constitution were amended to allow individual länder to have a monarch as ceremonial head, alongside a minister-president, which states would be most likely to adopt one? I'm guessing that Bavaria is the clear favourite, but are there any other regions where monarchist sentiment is present? Saxony?

Thanks

In Austria there was recently even a discussion to have a higher charge for the use of noble titles which is forbidden since 1919. At resent it is 1 cent. Adelstitel: Auch Koalition für höhere Strafen « DiePresse.com

In Germany this is diofferent as the former titles have become a part of the name.

Restoration of monarchies in Germany on a state basis? King of Bavaria, Grand Duke of Hesse etc. I think it would be great but it's not going to happen. It's gone and will not return.

Gerard

The Problem is that many of the former stetes don't exist anymopre as often partes heave merged. For example i live in Baden-Württenmberg and to it belongs the territory of the former Kingdom of Württemberg, the fornmer Grand Duchy of Baden and the former priciplaty of Hohenzollern. And to Baria belongs now also parts of the territoty of the former Duichy of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

Restoration of monarchies in Germany on a state basis? King of Bavaria, Grand Duke of Hesse etc. I think it would be great but it's not going to happen. It's gone and will not return.

Gerard

The Problem is that many of the former stetes don't exist anymopre as often partes heave merged. For example i live in Baden-Württenmberg and to it belongs the territory of the former Kingdom of Württemberg, the fornmer Grand Duchy of Baden and the former priciplaty of Hohenzollern. And to Baria belongs now also parts of the territoty of the former Duichy of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

Well, in the unlikely scenario that something like that is contemplated, some accommodations would have to be made. Not all former monarchies can be reinstated, that would be too much. King of Bavaria, of Saxony and of Lower-Saxony (Hanover). Grand duke of Hesse and maybe of Mecklenburg. That would be about it I think. Perhaps a Prussian King in Brandenburg?
But again. It's not going to happen I think... These monarchies have gone for a hundred years. It would be anachronistic. The German monarchies were, in their days however, the core of the European monarchical system. Without them the heart and much of the tradition of the whole business was gone I believe.

Gerard

Many royal families still enjoy some prestige, as they are received by the current President of their former kingdom, invited for acts of state, with other words, given honour to what they are and what they represent.

For an example the State of Romania having arrangements set for the former royal family. The wedding of the current head of the Portugese royal family being attended by the fine-fleur of (republican) Portugal and broadcast on television. The State of Bavaria acknowledging the Duke of Bavaria, the who-is-who of Austria whom assembled together to bring homage to the late Archduke Otto, the last Crown Prince of the Austrian-Hungarian monarchy. President Putin ordering full military honours and state ceremonies for the reburial of Tsarina Maria Feodorovna née Princess Dagmar of Denmark, etc. That is it and they can be happen with these public tokens of recognition and honour.

Oddly, I think Greece could be possible. Financially, I think they are out of options. A monarchy could be viewed s a new tourist attraction, although they have all the original tourist attractions.

With Nationalism rising in Russia due to political issues and several heirs to the Russian throne still exist, including Maria Vladimirovna and Nicholas Romanov, there is a possibility that one day in the not to distant future, say 15-20 years Russia could become a constitutional Monarchy a evren further step from the dark ages of Stalin and the communist gulags, and USSR disintegration, that could also give more morale to Russian citizens and lead to better relations with the European powers.

Putin is the Tzar now, he will not give up the title, may be after he is gone, but the Russians will always want a strong ruler, whatever his name may be, Stalin, Putin or Romanovs, and all the Tzars will end up the same in Russia, revolution and death. Thousand years, nothing changes. I would advise the current Romanovs to stay far far away

In truth, nobody is going to give the Romanovs the red-carpet treatment. The current Romanovs are useless for the country. Russians are entitled to have a ruler/president they feel like electing.

Last edited:
In a poll in Germany 88% voted against the idea of reinstating a monarchy in the country instead of the current republic, only 9% would like this to happen

So i think we can safely say (if we hadn't already) that as far as "which country is most
likely to return to monarchy", it isn't gonna be Germany ;)

:previous: Maybe because germans are happy with the current government?;)

I should imagine that most countries who have been a republic for a long time will prefer to maintain the status quo - changing from a republic to a monarchy and vice-versa would be a huge thing. Provided people in republics have a proper choice when choosing their head of state and are not denied a fair voice of candidates, they are most likely happy to stay as they are.
As for Greece - well anything seems possible, although I am not sure how becoming a monarchy would help. Still anything would be worth trying!

The monarchy in Greece probably be long enough yet. The last thing that employs the Greeks is the monarchy.
And as for me to see the crown prince couple a party to another i can not say i go crazy.
Besides i do not think even they and especially Marie-Chantal crazy to come in Greece. The prefer their country house in the Baxamas.

The monarchy in Greece probably be long enough yet. The last thing that employs the Greeks is the monarchy.
And as for me to see the crown prince couple a party to another i can not say i go crazy.
Besides i do not think even they and especially Marie-Chantal crazy to come in Greece. The prefer their country house in the Baxamas.

yes it would seem that they get all the glory of being royals without any of the actual work or responsibility

I think that Russia might want to become a monarchy again.

I was thinking that PUTIN might want to become a monarch, and thus keep himself and his family in power forever, even as a figurehead Czar. There are plenty of examples of strong-willed elected officials doing that: Albania, France, etc.

Last edited:
I certainly think that Vladimir Putin wants to remain in power in Russia until his old age. I hardly think that he wants to found a monarchy or become a Czar, however.

The only countries IMHO that are at all likely in any way to return to a monarchical system are ones like Romania or Serbia. Even then there are large question marks.

From what i've read, it seems like the support for the former royal family seems to be very high in Romania. That doesn't have to be the same as a support for a new monarchy but it is a prerequisite if it should ever happen.

I can't see that in any other european country right now. Constantine would certainly love to end his life back on the greek throne but it won't happen. He wasn't very popular when he left tbh and i don't think the greek people would love Pavlos and M-C as their royal couple. They seems to be more interested in living jet set life than to become hard working royals and that's extremly far from the greek culture. Nikolaos would be a better King. But i can't see a restoration of the greek monarchy happening in a foreseeble future. What Greece could do and should do is to stop pretend the monarchy has never existed restore Tatoi, It's surrounding gardens and the royal cemetery to full royal splendour and open it to the public as a museum over the Greek monarchy. That would make a great tourist attraction and younger greeks can learn about their royal history.

The only way Russia would become a monarchy is if Vladimir decides to change his title from President Putin to Tsar Vladimir :-D
I agree that the Romanovs should stay far away.

If there is a country i would LOVE to see as a monarchy again, it won't happen but France has so much of It's royal history and palaces kept that it would be a fantastic constitutional monarchy. But it won't happen. And who should be the King or Emperor ? As the dynasties are fighting with each other now over a throne that doesn't exist and haven't existed for a very long time, how would they do if the throne suddenly did exist ? :-D hahaha. No France is better as a republic !

Back
Top Bottom