The Value Of Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes that is the same here in Australia. But i think that the only reason why she gets a good reception when she comes is not because we have close feelings for the Queen but simply because she is famous and simply because she is a queen. Its the same when celebrities come, its not because we feel a closeness to them, its just that they are famous.

wymanda said:
Canada has a female Govenor General????

You really are ahead of Australia! :cool:
Some pictures of Governor General Adrienne Clarkson, she was born in Hong Kong

1. October 5, 2004. With Prime Minister Paul Martin
2. Canada Day, July 1, 2004
3. Canada Day, July 1, 2003
4. With Queen Elizabeth in Ottawa, October 15, 2002
5. With the Late Queen Mother at Clarence House in London October 31, 2000

Attachments

• DWF15-936990.jpg
    DWF15-936990.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 265
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 267
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 297
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 279
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 273
Queen visiting Australia
georgestreetdecorations.jpg
City
queenflyingdoctor.jpg
Alice Springs

that was when she came ages ago, i think she came recently,im not sure. Diana and charles came after their wedding to Australia.

Queen Elizabeth last came to Australia in 2002 for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting on Queensland's Sunshine Coast. I'll stop posting now, im annoying i know haha

Did she not come to Australia for her Golden Jubilee tour? That was in 2002

Yes she did come for the golden jubilee coming to think of it. This is what she said in Australia on her last day:

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are due back in Britain on Monday morning, having visited Jamaica, New Zealand and Australia in their Commonwealth tour.

Speaking to the crowds at the People's Reception in Roma Street Parkland, the Queen said: "On this last day of my visit to Australia, I would like to express my gratitude to you all for the warmth of the welcome Prince Philip and I have received at every stage.

"Although the visit has been brief, it has provided both Prince Philip and I with the chance to witness at first hand the way in which Australia is facing up to the challenges and opportunities of the 21st century. "Once again we have both been struck by both the diversity as well as the dynamism of Australia, and the vigour and humour of Australians everywhere.

im from australia and would be so sad if we ever lost our link with the royals... its herratige its important to keep what ppl have fought for in the past

Yes tradition is important, but where do you draw the line?
Canada has fought alongside Britain during the two world wars and before, but it wasn't out of love for the British monarchy. It was because Canada was a Dominion until the 1930s. Canadians had to go fight for Britian. Thousands of Indians fought for Britian as well, but hardly out of love for the empire.
I dont know about Australia but there have been conflicts like the Boer War during which many Canadians exressed an unwillingness to fight an unjust colonial war for the British.
I personally am somewhat indifferent about the monarchy issue but I do think that clinging to the monarchy just for the sake of "tradition" isnt a very good reason, especially in a country where not everybody agrees whether that tradition is worth keeping or celebrating. Im sure that Canadians of British decent will have a somewhat different view of the monarchy than those that come from lands that have experienced oppression and exploitation under the British Empire.

bad_barbarella said:
im from australia and would be so sad if we ever lost our link with the royals... its herratige its important to keep what ppl have fought for in the past
this is true...its sad because a majority of the time people even forget that Australia even has a Queen!!! If you ask people who's head of Australia they immediately reply Johnny Howard [will u please go on rove!]...

Oh well, even if australia gets rid of the monarchy it wouldnt make much difference to how we are now i guess. Im not sure but personally i would love to see Australia become a republic.

For me as a swede the monarchy is part of our history and for me that is importand
i also think the royal family is ambasedors for sweden
just see how victorias role in australia was when she was there in march

Yes Josephine, i agree, i started this thread some time ago and have since changed my mind about royalty, i noew think that royalty is important. Victoria confirmed my belief when she visited us here in Australia. I just dont agree with foreign monarchies governing other countries like Australia, thats all.

The Queen and Australia

Australian said:
I just dont agree with foreign monarchies governing other countries like Australia.
The Queen doesn't govern Australia. Her powers are vested in the Governor-General and the State Governors. Like her, they act on the advice of the elected government of the day.

Their importance in the Constitutions (Federal and State) is that the G-G and Governors have the "reserve powers" of the Crown. This means that no politician can ever achieve absolute power; it is the safeguard.

For better or worse the G-G in 1975 exercised this power to dismiss the elected government of the day as the only way (as he saw it) of resolving a political impasse. At the subsequent federal election the former government was overwhelmingly defeated. In effect, the G-G forced an election so that the popular will of the electorate could be expressed.

Apparently Buckingham Palace was aghast (the Queen had not been consulted by the G-G), but the point is that the G-G, by using the reserve powers of the Crown, was able to dismiss a government and resolve a political crisis.

The republic referendum in 1999 failed because there was no agreement on 1) how to elect or appoint a proposed president; and 2) what to do with the reserve powers. I suppose many people thought that to give a hack former politician who became president such sweeping (emergency) powers was not such a good idea.

As a general rule the G-G and State Governors do not have political backgrounds (or ambitions) and remain above the political fray.

The third reason why the referendum failed (not a single state of Australia voted in favour of the republican proposal) is because we have a stable political system and Australians do not like major change, especially when there is no pressing need, and even more so when the alternative has not been spelled out.

The Commonwealth of Australia Constitution defines the Federal Parliament as consisting of the Queen [then Queen Victoria], a Senate, and a House of Representatives. So even though the reigning monarch does not play a role in Australia's affairs, the G-G and Governors, as representative of the Sovereign, have a vital constitutional role to play.

Last edited:
I learn a lot with this thread! i didn´t know that Autralia and canada have monarchies!;)

Well, I´m from a American country, Argentina, and we are far from royals (and all the wold). I think most of people in my country don´t know the name of one royal and we see them as a show.I discover 1 year ago that spain still have a mornachy! And netherlands royalty is faumous since Maxima married Willem.
Almost 200 years ago that we are independient .
Royalty of Spain made disasters with our native people when they discover America (1492), they murder, took in ambitius people who only want money, power and gold :mad: , and tried to change our religion with bad ideas . They only think in them and the best for Spain and left us to our destinity. Well after 300 of reing all the countries in America got independient.(araund 1810)

For me monarchy is irrelevant, they are famous people but I think that they aren´t soo important. And remember I´m from a country that is a republic, so I have a diferent history and different thouhts. Maybe a lot of people in Arg. think that is imposible that some countries still have a monarchy and these live in palace and have a lot of money, but we have politics that rob a lot of money and now we are a poor contry (50% of our poblation is poor) so I think that is a cultural difference.:rolleyes:

Sorry for my bad english:eek:

Last edited:
As a Canadian, I would say that most people I know are indifferent about the Monarchy.

Yes, although the monarchy costs us financially (spendings of Governer General Adrienne Clarkson), most seem to forget the War of 1812. Without British help, Canada could have very well been taken over by the US and today, we wouldn't be Canadians but Americans. However, theres the two World Wars where we were obligated to fight for Britain.

In light of recent British royal events, I don't think many Canadians would be too happy in having 'Queen'/'Princess Consort' Camilla as part of the monarchy. Prince Charles himself isn't even very popular in Canada. Polls suggest QEII is the most favourite member of the royal family taking up 28% of the votes, William with 22%. Charles with only 9%. The most interesting stat is that 20% of Canadians dont like any of members of the royal family.

Nevertheless, It'll be interesting to see how the commonwealth reacts to 'King' Charles and 'Queen' Camilla.

(Personally, I would rather see Canada as a republic after the reign of QEII.)

i can understand that cuntries like canada and australia can feel that the monarchy do not fit in due to that thier royal family do not live in thier country iand i guess do not promote thir imaage and produkts like the royal families of sweden denmark and norway and many other royal family
if the royal family would move to canada or australia and promote that country would that be a difference?

Last edited:
Josephine

I believe that if Australia had its OWN monarchy, made up of Australians, then it would be necessary and beneficial regarding promotions.

Josefine said:
i can understand that cuntries like canada and australia can feel that the monarchy do not fit in due to that thier royal family do not live in thier country iand i guess do not promote thir imaage and produkts like the royal families of sweden denmark and norway and many other royal family
if the royal family would move to canada or australia and promote that country would that be a difference?

I think Canadians are so use to their current monarchy being pretty much non-existent that another monarchy would be hard to implement. (Unless you make up the monarchy using famous hockey players ;) ).

I think that if the queen were to visit some of the commonwealth countries more often, it wouldn't hurt.

Piewi said:
I learn a lot with this thread! i didn´t know that Autralia and canada have monarchies!;)

Well, I´m from a American country, Argentina, and we are far from royals (and all the wold). I think most of people in my country don´t know the name of one royal and we see them as a show.I discover 1 year ago that spain still have a mornachy! And netherlands royalty is faumous since Maxima married Willem.
Almost 200 years ago that we are independient .
Royalty of Spain made disasters with our native people when they discover America (1492), they murder, took in ambitius people who only want money, power and gold :mad: , and tried to change our religion with bad ideas . They only think in them and the best for Spain and left us to our destinity. Well after 300 of reing all the countries in America got independient.(araund 1810)

For me monarchy is irrelevant, they are famous people but I think that they aren´t soo important. And remember I´m from a country that is a republic, so I have a diferent history and different thouhts. Maybe a lot of people in Arg. think that is imposible that some countries still have a monarchy and these live in palace and have a lot of money, but we have politics that rob a lot of money and now we are a poor contry (50% of our poblation is poor) so I think that is a cultural difference.:rolleyes:

Sorry for my bad english:eek:

I think you've made a great point Piewi. I completely understand where you're coming from. Though I am Canadian, my background is Pakistani. I have, for the past 6-7 months been learning the history of the region of my origin and I can tell you that what you've attributed to Spain isn't much different from what the British did in the Indian subcontinent or what other imperial European powers did elsewhere in Asia, Africa, South America and even to the native populations of North America. It was exploitation and suppression under the veil of imperialism and "civilization".
Many European countries have been guilty of the same thing. As a result of which the damage suffered by the colonized populations has been irreversible and the effects of which can be seen even today.
So im sure some people will excuse me for not have a special attachment to the Queen. That is not to say ofcourse that I dislike her or any other European monarch. They're not responsible for what their ancestors did.
Like I said, my point-of-view is different from what a European's might be, or perhaps even that of a Canadian of European origin.
But ofcourse I dont expect the rest of Canada to share my opinion. Many of them do though, since this is a country of immigrants and South Asians are increasingly the fastest growing segment of the immigrant population here. Who knows, a time may come when Queen Elizabeth will no longer be Queen of Canada. Right now though, Canadians are indifferent about the issue. It is way down the bottom of our priority list.

Last edited:
I think you've made a great point Piewi

Thank you Humera. Im glad that you understand me so well.
As you said , not only in America royals did desasters, but of course monarchs of our times are not guilty of things that they ancestors did. Well, my history teacher told me (and my classmates) that English royals made a different thing with native people in northAmerica, they took off of their lands, but Spanish people made indians hard work and that was really bad ´cause they didn´t know how to do that and a lot them died

Well i forgot something i post it later.

its six eggs in one hand and half a dozen in the other, royal families bring in a lot of money from people traveling to see different events. but on the other hand they fall short of setting a good example of how families should act

What Is the Point of Monarchy?

Hello, I would like to hear your opinions about the sense and utility of a monarchy.
What do you think monarchs should do/be/represent: national symbols, moral models, activists for good causes, tourist attractions, political figures, sources of entertainment, etc...?
What monarch(s) in your opinion represent best the ideal of monarchy?
Are monarchies relevant to a modern world?

Idriel said:
Hello, I would like to hear your opinions about the sense and utility of a monarchy.
What do you think monarchs should do/be/represent: national symbols, moral models, activists for good causes, tourist attractions, political figures, sources of entertainment, etc...?
What monarch(s) in your opinion represent best the ideal of monarchy?
Are monarchies relevant to a modern world?

I´m against monachy, so for me they aren´t relevant, i mean they don´t lead their countries or have a politicy just are famous or made their country famous (as Monaco).
They represent nacional symbols and their countries ( some of them, for example last year i discovered that monarchies exist, i only knew British royals-Diana- and Caroline of Monaco. And i was shocked to knew that Spain still have a monarchy! They were/are a famous country, how i didn´t know that they had royals?:eek: )
They also are huge sources of entertaiment.
For me royals have to help poor people on their countries(and others), do carithy, be in hospitals , create new schools...They have to use the love and money that they get in relevant things.

The idea of monarchy in America, in my opinion is absolutely frightening. I mean, they're alright for a novelty and everything, but I believe that monarchy breeds elitism and arrogance and too much centralized power, which, in turn, leads to abuse of power. That's why I'm so proud to be an American, and that's why, every time some one on this forum suggests we have a king or monarch, I gag.

Last edited by a moderator:
In times of crisis, the monarchy can be seen as a bonding national force that is above politics, example: King George VI and the British royals during WWII. But today, they are mostly for entertainment, tradition, and pomp. However there are those who argue that the money it costs a country to keep a monarchy is not as wasteful as it may seem. Countries w/o a royal family must still hold state galas, entertain politicians, and live and dress similarly to what royals do. The cost of doing this is about same, if not more, than what a royal family would cost. However, in these countries, the money spent is spread out throughout various gov't agencies so it doesn't LOOK like as much as what a monarchy would cost. Personally, I have not researched/kept track of spending, but this is another way of looking at things.

Im not a monarchist. But from the various opinions I've heard on this subject, monarchies today can also do a lot of good. Not having a King or Queen isnt reason enough to be proud. Im sure there are many people on this board who live in monarchies and are just as proud of their country and their monarch.

What's the point of this post?!?! I read the news shown in chats around, similar to the Royal Forums, and if I recall recently this question, but phrased in a different way, caused quite a stir in another Forum to a point the Adms, Netty and Toni, had enough with the personal attacks, mainly from pro-republicans, and ended closing the thread.

So, are you bringing that war zone over here, to the quite waters of Les Tribunes Royales/Royal Forums? :mad:

EmpressRouge said:
In times of crisis, the monarchy can be seen as a bonding national force that is above politics, example: King George VI and the British royals during WWII. But today, they are mostly for entertainment, tradition, and pomp. However there are those who argue that the money it costs a country to keep a monarchy is not as wasteful as it may seem. Countries w/o a royal family must still hold state galas, entertain politicians, and live and dress similarly to what royals do. The cost of doing this is about same, if not more, than what a royal family would cost. However, in these countries, the money spent is spread out throughout various gov't agencies so it doesn't LOOK like as much as what a monarchy would cost. Personally, I have not researched/kept track of spending, but this is another way of looking at things.

Hi Empress,

I agree with what you have written, however, comparatively monarchies do tend to cost more than republics of similar size -- but not always. It depends on the type of republic, who's running it, etc. However, if the citizens feel that they are getting value for money,then that's all that matters.

Personally, I'm not always a monarchist. Like everything It depends on the situation. Every country is different, and has its own needs, etc. I'm totally against dictatorships posing as monarchies (Saudi, Jordan, etc.). That being said, a crown, can however, be a unifying force in divisive, multi-ethnic countries and confederate countries (e.g. Belgium, Malaysia, etc.). What's more, in my opinion, rather than becoming anachronisms in the European (and some non-European) countries in which they exist, in my opinion I think they will become even more important institutions. More specifically, with increased regional and international integration, the erosion of national borders, the spread of a global (ie American) consumer culture, and the compression of space and time, monarchies will provide their citizenry with a sense of national identity, continuity, and traditon -- a pillar of stability if you will, in a fast changing, hyper, and often politically and economically tumultuous world.

Toledo said:
What's the point of this post?!?! I read the news shown in chats around, similar to the Royal Forums, and if I recall recently this question, but phrased in a different way, caused quite a stir in another Forum to a point the Adms, Netty and Toni, had enough with the personal attacks, mainly from pro-republicans, and ended closing the thread.

So, are you bringing that war zone over here, to the quite waters of Les Tribunes Royales/Royal Forums? :mad:

I followed a bit the discussion on this other board...and I really hope, we can avoid such kind of discussion. We had a similar discussion before...and then people behaved. So I want to ask you in advance to do the same again. Please don´t get too much into politics, and please accept other opinions.

Lena, as moderator

Back
Top Bottom