The United States and Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tenngirl said:
Iain,
Do you really think that Hawaii is up for independence? Could they survive without all the American tourists???:rolleyes:

Do you remember about 8 or 9 years ago when Life had a special issue on the Royals and they covered a Princess of Hawaii? So I guess there is still a bloodline available.

Tenngirl

I firmly believe that every nation has the right to independence if they want it. The Hawaiian's never voted to become part of the USA and should be able to leave if they so wish. There are many countries smaller and poorer than Hawaii that have voted for indendence and are making a go of it. You don't honestly think that Americans would stop visiting if they did leave the union, do you?

The Hawaiian royal family is still in existence. I believe the present claiment to the throne is a prince Quentin.

I've also heard that in French Polynesia, there are some Independentist movements. I'm curious to know if there also are royal families there , claiming to rule again...:confused:

Vanesa.

In the Wallis and Futuna Islands, not part of French Polynesia but a French colony, there are Three kingdoms. They are Uvea which consits of Wallis Island and who's king has reigned for over 40 years, and on Futuna there is Sigave and Alo. In French Polynesia Tahiti, Bora Bora, Huahine and Raiatea were all kingdoms and mainly ruled by the same family, the Pomares. The Marquesas Islands and Mangareva were also Kingdoms. Decendants of all these royal families are still to be found and I think that most Polynesians still prefer a monarch rather than a president.

i am from the pacific and i can totally understand why. i mean these countries are smaller and therefore back in the days of the monarchies people actually saw the royals more often and got to meet them, thus they were and are very close to their heritage in respect to their monarchies. hawaii is a really sad story....

I think Hawaii should be able to leave USA too. It's so far away from most of USA, that it hardly feels like a part of USA! And I still think tourists would be able to go to Hawaii from USA.

Since I know nothing about Hawaii's history and how they became part of America, can anyone point me in the direction of a good history book?

Alaska is a distance from America. Not as much as Hawaii, obviously, but its not close like the "lower 48". Do you think they should leave the Union and go back to Russia?

What about some of our territories: for example, Puerto Rico and is it the Marshall Islands? Do you think they should be allowed to be free?

Back to a new Royal Family, personally I hope one does not appear. Although I enjoy the message boards, etc. I think that they can be a drain to a country and if they have real power, not use it correctly.

Just my 2 cents!!!:cool:

tenngirl said:
Since I know nothing about Hawaii's history and how they became part of America, can anyone point me in the direction of a good history book? :cool:

Try to get hold of Hawaii's story by Hawaii's Queen. It was written by Queen Liliuokalani and gives a great insight into what really happened and how America was behind the overthrow of the monarchy because it suited their purpose.

tenngirl said:
Alaska is a distance from America. Not as much as Hawaii, obviously, but its not close like the "lower 48". Do you think they should leave the Union and go back to Russia?

What about some of our territories: for example, Puerto Rico and is it the Marshall Islands? Do you think they should be allowed to be free?
Let's just say, that if Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico would want to break away from USA, I would understand them. They're far away and very different from the rest of USA. Okay, maybe not Alaska is so different culturally, but Hawaii and Puerto Rico are.

Back to a new Royal Family, personally I hope one does not appear. Although I enjoy the message boards, etc. I think that they can be a drain to a country and if they have real power, not use it correctly.

Just my 2 cents!!!:cool:
I actually don't think a royal family of Hawaii would have any real power. They would be like symbols for Hawaii, like the royal families in Europe are for their countries.

Last edited:
Toledo said:
The United States based their form of government in the style of the Republic of Venice and from there created their own version and identity.

I don't want to pick at details, but the association between the Federal Republic conceived in the United States and Italian republics of the 14th and 15th centuries is one made after the fact. The conscious inspiration at the time (for people such a Ben Franklin, who conceived the system) were actually largely based on the system of the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois), who had a government of united tribes which far closer resembled the new American government than Venice (especially since the United States never had a Doge). European inspirations were found and claimed post-production of the American government, partly because the United States found itself in increasingly hostile relations with the Iroquois, from whom the system is borrowed.

What if the US was divided into Kingdoms, Dukedoms, and Principalities? There would be so much more royalty! You could have the King of New York’s daughter marry the King of California’s eldest son, or the Duke of Tennessee (cousin of the King of the Carolinas) fall in love with his 3rd cousin, the Empress of Louisiana; however, the Empress of Louisiana wants to make a political marriage to strengthen her alliance with the Grand Duke of Texas. The Principality of Washington DC is eager to set up a similar economic system as the Principality of Las Vegas, so they invite the third son of the King of Las Vegas to come and be their new Hereditary Prince, since the ancient royal line of Washington-D-C has no male heir. LOL. There would be less royals marrying their cousins, and a lot more politics to talk about if the US were not united under one Federal government. Maybe more wars lol, but definately more royals.

I think that (former Soviet) Georgia is very serious about bringing back the Monarchy----they have already traced the two-descendent lines, and found the ruling member of each line. I can't remember what they did next (but it was somethig positive going in that direction).
The religious group (very very powerful) wants a Monarchy.

I certainly would like to see the Shah's son (Iran) back in power, he and his family want to go back.

Actually, I can think of a lot of Countries that need the tradition and stability a Monarchy "could" bring.As long as the Monarchy was loved/respected as they are in the Netherlands,Sweden,Norway,Denmark and cared about the pople/country--etc

It isn't if the monarchy is loved and respected, it is are the people loved and respected by the monarchy.

If only theoritically, I would think that the only family that could hope of becomming the "Royal Family of the USA" is the Kennedy. JF was practically a King and Jackie was pratically a Queen, with their children being regarded almost as real Princes.
It's a funny thread but I don't think it could ever be true, especially in the case of USA.

True...the Kennedy's were sort of unofficial American royalty...

Basically American royalty is the the old money families in the northeast...or movie stars like Brad and Angelina...at least they think they are. LOL

But the US could never have a real monarchy because of the whole "all men are created equal"...although there is a class system...it can easily be broken into....

It isn't if the monarchy is loved and respected, it is are the people loved and respected by the monarchy.
I think it's both ways. The monarchy and the people have to love and respect each other.

I think that (former Soviet) Georgia is very serious about bringing back the Monarchy----they have already traced the two-descendent lines, and found the ruling member of each line. I can't remember what they did next (but it was somethig positive going in that direction).
The religious group (very very powerful) wants a Monarchy.

I certainly would like to see the Shah's son (Iran) back in power, he and his family want to go back.

Actually, I can think of a lot of Countries that need the tradition and stability a Monarchy "could" bring.As long as the Monarchy was loved/respected as they are in the Netherlands,Sweden,Norway,Denmark and cared about the pople/country--etc

I think there are two chances for monarchy in Iran, Slim and None. None held the door open as Slim ran far, far away.

well, even though we have a Queen, i'll go for it. Our royal family would make it a priority to spread the word that Canada, contrary to what you've read/heard is not completey covered by snow, polar bears do not roam around most of this country, not all canadians love celine dion.
:eek: Say it isn't so???? I knew about the snow and polar bears, but I thought Celine Dion or Shania Twain were loved and adored by all of my neighbors to the north!:lol:

Imagine, if you can, what would happen if a new branch of royalty was created. For example if a county that formerly had a monarchy was to establish one again (Ireland, USA in Hawaii, etc whatever). Forget the common sense reasons of why, whatfor and it would never happen. Lets just say it did.

1. Do you think they would be accepted by the people, the other royals, and of course, everyone here at TRF, hahaha, as the real deal if lineage was proven. Even if they were commoners up to that point and had not lived their lives in anticipation of reigning? Would it make them any less worthy of reigning that any of the current royal families?

2. What would you like to see them do as new representatives of their people?

3. Would it be better if they were conservative and traditional, or more "with the times"?

4. And of course, finally, (especially for you jewelry fans) what could they do for regalia and the normal trappings for royalty when these things did not exist and could not be handed down? Should new things be made to resemble ancient symbols or should new symbols for a new reign be made?

Be creative and give me your suggestions. Lets have some fun!

If the United States re-established Monarchy as it's government and had it's own Dynasty the whole world will soon follow suit.

1.I frankly would like a real Royal and Imperial Family with a genuine Monarchic lineage.It is hard to determine if Americans would accept them.Americans love all the glitz and glamour of Royalty.But they also are a revolutionary people that are far too proud and well entrenched in republicanism to feel comfortable with Monarchy.Definately most likely the American Royal and Imperial Family would be exceedingly rich and would reflect the youthful vigor of their Empire.

2 I would like them to put on the Ritz.I would like them to merge Hollywood glamour with Washington DC political power and show the world an America that is just over the top spectacular.You know,the fireworks of wealth,power,and creativity.

3.I woud like them to be all of these things.Because Americans are all of these things,but they have to do it with alot of style.And Yanks are good at that.

4.Because we have always had a thing for Romans and Greeks.I think the Royal and Imperial regalia and jewels should be like those of the Roman and Byzantine Empires.With of course a dash of British,German,and French influence here and there.It might seem Napoleonic,but being parvenu that seems to be the only way to go.

I have thought about this so many times and I can see it now.The world will drastically change.America is the most powerful nation in the world.And its every whim will cause ripples around the world.

I would love to see Monarchies re-established in Iran,Iraq,Pakistan,Russia,Hawaii,China,infact the whole world.Certainly if this happened the British Royal Family will be given a run for their money.They will have so much competition for the glamour headlines.Because those Bourbons,Romanovs,Hapsburgs and Phalavis were even at times more specatcular than the British Royals.I can imagine all these countries with Monarchies again because we have seen their Monarchies.But the one I am most curious about is Latin America.Mexico,Brazil and Haiti had independent non-Colonial Monarchies.But how would the Latin American Monarchies and Courts look like?Would it look like the Royal Courts in Madrid and Lisboa?

What if the US was divided into Kingdoms, Dukedoms, and Principalities? There would be so much more royalty! You could have the King of New York’s daughter marry the King of California’s eldest son, or the Duke of Tennessee (cousin of the King of the Carolinas) fall in love with his 3rd cousin, the Empress of Louisiana; however, the Empress of Louisiana wants to make a political marriage to strengthen her alliance with the Grand Duke of Texas. The Principality of Washington DC is eager to set up a similar economic system as the Principality of Las Vegas, so they invite the third son of the King of Las Vegas to come and be their new Hereditary Prince, since the ancient royal line of Washington-D-C has no male heir. LOL. There would be less royals marrying their cousins, and a lot more politics to talk about if the US were not united under one Federal government. Maybe more wars lol, but definately more royals.

Wow Melania,it's like you've been reading my mind.I love how creative you are.What you wrote is like a Big ole' mixture of the German Empire and the Malaysian Federation.It's rather glamorous and quite excessive.Nevertheless you've made this post more fun.So it would be more like an American Royal and Imperial Union of United Duchies,Grand Duchies,Principalities,Kingdoms and Empires.Basically an Empire of Empires.Well being that California and Texas is big both would be have Emperors instead.

Last edited:
well, even though we have a Queen, i'll go for it. Our royal family would make it a priority to spread the word that Canada, contrary to what you've read/heard is not completey covered by snow, polar bears do not roam around most of this country, not all canadians love celine dion.

Sssssh. Don't tell the Yanks that, or my backyard Polar Bear Zoo scam won't work anymore.. ;)

On-topic: I was thinking a while ago that Canada could actually amend our laws of succession to allow for the second child of the sovereign (for example) to either be outright sovereign of Canada, or to have a title similar to Prince of Wales. There would be some stickiness due to them needing to be a Canadian citizen, and the Canadian gov't policy of not permitting Canadians to have titles. Could be interesting, though..

kimebear said:
I also would like to see a wealthy (and I emphasize wealthy) royal family who gives money back to the people they represent instead of being paid to represent it, and instituting and paying for educational and socially beneficial programs

Well, there are two problems with this..

1) (in reference to Britain; not sure about arrangements in other monarchies). HM The Queen is not, in fact, paid to represent the people. The money for the Civil List actually comes from her hereditary revenues as the Sovereign. Quick history:

Up until the late 18th century, much of the Government's activities were paid for (appropriately enough) out of the pockets of the Sovereign, who had large land holdings and so on. However, by the late 18th century, everyone came to realize that His Majesty could no longer do so, due to new pressures on the Treasury. Thus the Civil List was instituted, in which each successive Sovereign voluntarily surrenders those revenues to the Government so that it may continue to provide services, in return for a living allowance, payment of all costs relating to official duties, and so on. It is a purely voluntary arrangement which each Sovereign renews at the beginning of their reign. While scholars agree that it it would be constitutionally impossible for the Sovereign to refuse to renew it, the fact remains: these are the Sovereign's revenues, and so in fact the British people do not pay for the Monarchy in any way. More to the point: the Monarchy actually generates a profit, as the income from the Crown Estates is approximately 200M pounds per year, while the Civil List and Grants-in-Aid totaly somewhere in the neighbourhood of 35M pounds/year.

2) Educational and socially beneficial programs could be seen as political interference, and in most constitutional monarchies (Monaco would be a notable exception, I think) the monarch is categorically forbidden to meddle in politics. At least in public; I'm sure there's lots of behind the scenes involvement. This is why Charles was able to institute The Princes' Trust; he's not (yet) the monarch, and thus has a little more latitude. Once he ascends the throne, the Trust will continue on without his involvement.

I wasn't necessarily thinking of the UK. I was thinking more along the lines of the absolute monarchies.

In that case, kimebear, I'm not sure I understand the statement. In an absolute monarchy, the Sovereign is the government, so there really isn't much distinction between programs they initiate themselves versus those initiated by government. Or am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking a while ago that Canada could actually amend our laws of succession to allow for the second child of the sovereign (for example) to either be outright sovereign of Canada, or to have a title similar to Prince of Wales. There would be some stickiness due to them needing to be a Canadian citizen, and the Canadian gov't policy of not permitting Canadians to have titles. Could be interesting, though..
I too think that commonwealth countries could be represented by princes or princes from the Brittish royal family, like viceroys or viceregines, instead of the governor generals. Then maybe Canada or Australia would sort of have had their own royal families now.

In that case, kimebear, I'm not sure I understand the statement. In an absolute monarchy, the Sovereign is[/] the government, so there really isn't much distinction between programs they initiate themselves versus those initiated by government. Or am I missing something?

That's the point. Getting rid of the absolute monarchies and putting the sovereigns into more of a diplomatic position as opposed to political ones. Maintain the tradition of having a monarchy, but have only the elected in charge of governmental affairs.

That's the point. Getting rid of the absolute monarchies and putting the sovereigns into more of a diplomatic position as opposed to political ones. Maintain the tradition of having a monarchy, but have only the elected in charge of governmental affairs.

Which is, um, exactly the case we have now except in Monaco and Brunei, as far as I know. Malaysia is a bit of a special case, as is the UAE.

I was thinking of the "old monarchies" like France and Russia. Definitely England will lose their glamour to these 2 countries. Honestly, I want all countries with monarchy as their form of government before to be restored bec I just love monarchy!!! I would love to see the grandeur of Spain once again...and princes marrying royals too but it's not the case now...

Which is, um, exactly the case we have now except in Monaco and Brunei, as far as I know. Malaysia is a bit of a special case, as is the UAE.

You do realize that the point of this thread was to discuss re-establishing an old monarchy, right? It was never about what the current monarchies do or do not. I don't mean to be rude, but this getting a little off the topic now.

I was thinking of the "old monarchies" like France and Russia. Definitely England will lose their glamour to these 2 countries. Honestly, I want all countries with monarchy as their form of government before to be restored bec I just love monarchy!!! I would love to see the grandeur of Spain once again...and princes marrying royals too but it's not the case now...

I agree with you on the royal marriages. I'm all for marriage for love first, but it would be nice to see the occasional royals married to each other (not counting Prince Aimone and Princess Olga as they do not seem to be able to cross the finish line!:D) Can you imagine the grandeur of the wedding of two members of reigning houses? That would be lovely.

I'd go with Ireland or Scotland, since they've both had monarchies before. If and when they become free from England, they would probably each have their own royal families. The question is who, since there are more than likely living decendants of the last kings and/or queens from both countries.

Most of Ireland is already free from England.

Back
Top Bottom