The United States and Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is the thread about relations between the U.S.A and the British monarchy or its interactions with monarchies in general?

Is the thread about relations between the U.S.A and the British monarchy or its interactions with monarchies in general?

The thread is about how an American monarchy will be like, if it's even remotely possible. I don't see it becoming one due to how deeply entrenched republicanism is in American culture.

As there does not appear to be a thread for "The United States and Nobility":

Since the question of noble titles in the United States has surfaced repeatedly in discussions about royalty or nobility who marry Americans, live in America, and/or hold American citizenship, below is what the United States Constitution (Article 1, Section 9) says concerning noble titles:

"8. No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no person holding any office or profit or trust under them, shall, without the consent of the Congress, accept of any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state."

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/art1.asp

So there is no apparent constitutional prohibition on the usage of titles of nobility (whether genuine or pretended) in American legal documents, or on acceptance of noble titles and offices by private American citizens who are not "holding any office or trust under [the United States]" (and even for officeholders, it would seem that obtainment of noble titles in virtue of inheritance or marriage, as opposed to voluntary "acceptance", is acceptable).

Are you being sarcastic or serious with this part? Not only is its government system rooted in rebellion against the prevailing system, but nowadays monarchy carries connotations of nepotism and privilege, which reeks of stagnation at best and regression at worst. Sure it’s fun to imagine a scenario where American Royals is a reality, but that comes across as wishful thinking that ignores the challenges real royals face.”

Are you being sarcastic or serious with this part? Not only is its government system rooted in rebellion against the prevailing system, but nowadays monarchy carries connotations of nepotism and privilege, which reeks of stagnation at best and regression at worst. Sure it’s fun to imagine a scenario where American Royals is a reality, but that comes across as wishful thinking that ignores the challenges real royals face.”
I was being serious. Sure, nepotism occurs in both monarchies and republics alike, but the average person sees it as embedded in monarchies due to hereditary rule.

I was being serious. Sure, nepotism occurs in both monarchies and republics alike, but the average person sees it as embedded in monarchies due to hereditary rule.
I don’t want to derail the thread on differences between monarchy vs republic, but I found your comment interesting.in my eyes, certain republics look more like crowned republics to me.

For a moment I thought you were talking about my post!?! :eek: The message is funny to me considering we in the USA just abolished the monarchy for a second time in the 2020 last election. If a monarchy carries connotations of nepotism and privilege, just take a look whose family got richer on this side of the Atlantic. Just 48 hours ago [the former American president] went public asking to abolish the constitution and put him back as president.
For those outside the USA, we live in an on-going political horror show over here

Last edited by a moderator:

I am not sure the association between monarchy and nepotism is correct. The eldest child (previously the eldest son) of the monarch is the heir to the Crown, but that is who he or she is by definition. Putting it in another way, as long as he or she is alive and is not otherwise disqualified by law, no one else may hold that position. In classic nepotism, however, a person is not barred a priori from holding an office or position, but someone else gets that position instead because of a family connection.

It should be stressed that, in the European monarchies, working members of the Royal Family actually cannot be members of Parliament, or government ministers, or normally become civil servants. So the possibility of a member of the Royal Family holding a position in the public administration actually does not exist. Royal Family members often serve, however, in the military, but there is no evidence that they are fast-tracked or get any privilege compared to other ordinary officers because of their family connections. Once they leave active service, they usually hold honorary ranks, which are typically above the rank they held when they retired, but, again, as the name says, those ranks are purely honorary.

I am not sure the association between monarchy and nepotism is correct. The eldest child (previously the eldest son) of the monarch is the heir to the Crown, but that is who he or she is by definition. Putting it in another way, as long as he or she is alive and is not otherwise disqualified by law, no one else may hold that position. In classic nepotism, however, a person is not barred a priori from holding an office or position, but someone else gets that position instead because of a family connection.

It should be stressed that, in the European monarchies, working members of the Royal Family actually cannot be members of Parliament, or government ministers, or normally become civil servants. So the possibility of a member of the Royal Family holding a position in the public administration actually does not exist. Royal Family members often serve, however, in the military, but there is no evidence that they are fast-tracked or get any privilege compared to other ordinary officers because of their family connections. Once they leave active service, they usually hold honorary ranks, which are typically above the rank they held when they retired, but, again, as the name says, those ranks are purely honorary.
With the latter I beg to differ. Lucas van Lippe-Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven was promoted way faster (while he didn't meet the criteria) than anyone would expect based on his experience - the Ministry explained that 'because of the special bond between the military and the House of Orange-Nassau a special trajectory had been created for him... The Dutch public broadcaster (NOS) reported the story about Lucas with the heading 'Preferential treatment for members of the royal family at the Armed Forces'.

And many royals indeed do also keep moving up the ranks after leaving active service which has very much to do with them being members of the royal family.

Last edited:
With the latter I beg to differ. Lucas van Lippe-Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven was promoted way faster (while he didn't meet the criteria) than anyone would expect based on his experience - the Ministry explained that 'because of the special bond between the military and the House of Orange-Nassau a special trajectory had been created for him... The Dutch public broadcaster (NOS) reported the story about Lucas with the heading 'Preferential treatment for members of the royal family at the Armed Forces'.

And many royals indeed do also keep moving up the ranks after leaving active service which has very much to do with them being members of the royal family.

I don’t follow the Dutch royals closely, but, in the British Royal Family, I don’t think either Harry, or Andrew, or, before them , people like the Duke of Kent were fast-tracked.

I think there are few people in the Netherlands that even knew that he was in the military. (That is, if they ever heard of him at all). I certainly didn't. Last time I saw a picture of him, he was 9 years old.

Plus the privilege of being a member of a Royal family is limited to a few key members, extended family members don’t get pensions for life, security for life or at all, free housing, they can be sued or taken to court, and they receive overwhelming scrutiny, they don’t get state funerals, relatives who go into politics are usually very distant relatives who may not be titled.

Back
Top Bottom