Royal Families Voting

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XeniaCasaraghi

Heir Apparent
City
Texas
Country
United States
Is it universal that all royals who live in a democratic country are "not allowed" or advised against voting in elections? I'm not talking about the royals who reign and rule, just the ones who are figureheads in their country.

The Belgian Royal Family votes in elections and referendums, so does the royals in Luxembourg. I've only seen photos of lesser royals (Felix and Alexandra of Lux, Amedeo of Belgium), so to speak, voting though, so perhaps heirs, consorts, and of course monarchs don't... :flowers:

ADDED: Those pics can be found in their current events threads

Well, for the Danish royals the same rules as for all other Danish citizens apply:
You can vote for the general elections if you are a Danish citizen and mentally able to decide for yourself.
So all the royals have the right to vote, but they never excerzise that right.

The DRF is politically stricktly neutral.

Last edited:
Why do you feel it is the best position for a reigning house? Isn't voting private? So if a member of a reigning house did vote wouldn't it be impossible to know who they were voting for and would just be public knowledge that they did vote?
BTW thanx for all the info about your countries reigning house and their voting rights and habits, it's just something I was wondering about.

If you are seen to vote you are expressing a political opinion, and some might then suspect that you might try and use your influence to support one party or another. Even if not true it would make you suspect. Best to avoid that as least for those who are HRH or HM.

The Belgian Royal Family votes in elections and referendums, so does the royals in Luxembourg. I've only seen photos of lesser royals (Felix and Alexandra of Lux, Amedeo of Belgium), so to speak, voting though, so perhaps heirs, consorts, and of course monarchs don't...
One reason for the members of the Belgian and Luxembourgian royal families voting may be that voting is compulsory in those countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom