The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Majesty

I have books on the Romanovs in English and Russian (I'm able to read both languages, but prefer English), a book on European succession (which has tiny print, unfortunately), issues of 'Royalty' magazine, one issue of 'Majesty', a bunch of random articles dealing with Russian and British royals, biographies of Queen Victoria, three books on the Tudors by Alison Weir (I hope I spelled her name right, since I'm too lazy to get up and check), a biography of Queen Elizabeth II published a few years ago, and several books on other royals. I have been looking to expand, so seeing everyone else's lists gives me ideas.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have so many books and magazines, I could open my own Library. As a matter of fact, I've told our neighbours that if the time comes when their kids need to do any kind of research on the British Royals or the Romanovs, not to even bother taking them into our nearest town and our Library. All they have to do is come over here and I'd be more than happy to provide them free rein of my Collection to help them out.

We are good friends of a couple who live in Northern New York state, but have a cabin up here. My parents also check their place on and off during the rest of the year when they're not up here. He's an antique dealer and the last time they came up for the Summer two years ago, he brought me up somewhere between 80 to 90 books, and that's a light amount compared to what they normally bring me. It's not that odd when they come, to have our entire Dining Room table covered in Royalty books *and* stacked four to five books high.

That's not even mentioning any china commeorative stuff he's found for me over the years. Or my Diana china doll he found me and I treasure as I've never seen "my Doll" anywhere else and I've looked believe me!!

Anyway...Between Phil and my own finds at Yard/Garage Sales and Christmas/Birthday Gifts from Family, I do have some rather special "special" pieces...

When our Chiropractor was house hunting for a place to set up both as a Weekend Clinic and a place to retire to, she found one place she just adored and ended up buying. The previous owner had lived there since the day it was built in the 20's and the only reason she was selling was because she had to go the Nursing Home. Okay then...When Sonja was cleaning things out in the basement, she discovered all these old newspapers. She started going through them, but when she found a certain set, she knew she'd found my Christmas present for that year.

They were both the then Toronto Telegraph, now The Toronto Star, and The Sudbury Daily Star, which is now just The Sudbury Star issues of The Queen's Coronation and in pristine condition. They are now kept in the heavy plastic bag/container my last fleece sheets set came in, in my Cedar Chest my late cousin built for me.

When I turned 18, my Aunt Robbie realized my passion for Royalty wasn't going to be a "teenage phase" and gave me a very special Birthday Present. Her Scrapbook she'd kept of the then TRH The Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh's Visit to Canada and The Queen's Coronation. I was floored she was giving this to me, as she and my Uncle have three children of their own and I felt bad considering it is an Heirloom and should be going to one of my cousins. She told me they weren't interested in the Royals and it would more than likely be tossed one day if I didn't take it. So I said Thank you and it truly means so much to me she decided I'd be a worthy caretaker of it.

When my Bachelor Uncle Roy decided it was time for him to go into the Nursing Home and sell the Family Farm, there was an awful lot of stuff to have to go through and then decide what to do w/. My Paternal Grandmother, who I sadly never did meet, was a Royalty fan like the rest of us here and collected the odd China Commemorative. Well, there were two cup and saucer sets of hers found in perfect condition. My cousin Sandra, as the first Grandchild born in the family was given the one and I was given the other.

Mine is a Collectable in more ways than just one, as it marks the State Visit of The Queen to Canada to officially open The St. Lawrence Seaway. It's a Royal collectible, it's a Canadian Historic collectible, it's a Maritime Historic collectible...As I said, it really is a Collectible in more than one way. :o) However, it means more to me as a Priceless Heirloom.

One of my many pieces marking a certain wedding at St. Paul's in 1981 is something that I *know* wasn't one of the official pieces, but it's so original and I love it. It's a cup and saucer duo, but it's the only China piece I've ever seen made for Charles and Diana's Wedding that has both The Bride and The Groom's respective Coats of Arms. Yes, I do know it's a diamond shape for a Woman, but as I don't know the actual way to refer to it, I'm going w/the term everyone knows. :o) It has their names, titles, the date and where the Wedding's taking place on it in as well, but not their faces.

As I said, I've never seen anything else like it before or since, but I love it due to all of the heraldic emblems and just how unique it is.

Last for now, but not least in the slightest, is a piece I have that marks a Major Royal Event that never happened.

Where Phil found this for me, I have no idea!!! A few years ago, he found me a small cup, shot glass size I'd say, to Commemorate Edward VIII's Coronation. As I said, we all know that event never took place thanks in no small part to Wallis Simpson, so it really is one of those irreplacible pieces of my Collection.

Speaking of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor...Phil also found me the Catalogue to the Auction of HRH and HG's effects that took place after the Duchess' passing. Only...It's not "officially" mine as of yet, as Phil took it back down w/him to really study. As I said, he's an Antique Dealer and there were some things in the Catalogue Phil has come across over the years, but never knew what do pricewise w/them. Such as a Presentation Sword for instance. Anyway...I did get a really good look at it before it left the house and to say I was drooling over the pictures of HG's jewels would be a major understatement. ;o)

Anyway...Those are, shall we say, The Crown Jewels of my Collection. There will additions made to it in a week and a half. That's actually one of the good things about me being in Toronto the same time as William and Catherine's Wedding. I'll at least be in the perfect place to find something I like. Unlike around here where I'm literally in the middle of nowhere Rural Canada. :oD ;o)

Old 04-24-2011, 11:24 PM

I got my one little collectible at a store in Houston last weekend. Here is the site if anybody wants to order an item.

British Isles Online - Royal Wedding Collections

I got the Congratulations cup at the bottom! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE BIG DAY!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Shauna, nice to meet you. Unfortunately, I have looked on eBay for you and the highest priced item (for any kind of Diana souvenier plate--the one you have is not listed) is US$14.99. That price does not include shipping. Sorry. My mother has tried to sell all her Diana and Charles/Diana souveniers and she decided to keep them, as the prices are so low.

Bert and Carlotta: "Been collecting British royalties commemoratives for many years."

Wow, that is a stunning collection, I notice there is a license plate on display too...does that have royal significance?
Hi there: Forgive my delayed reply to your posting. Yes, the license plate is from Canada and says on it, "Coronation Year 1937" Actually, I have two of them, but there is such limited space for all of the stuff! Glad you like the collection; it's certainly been a beloved passion.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauna View Post
Hi Royal Fourm Friends. I am new. My Aunt recently passed away and I found a commemorative Plate from the day Princess Diana Christened the Royal Princess cruise ship. Does anyone know anything about the value of this plate? Its a Royal Doulton, but I cannot find info anywhere on the web about it. Thank you for your help!
There is a similar plate on eBay for bid at $8.99, exclusive of shipping no pun intented) costs (7/17/2011), item, #330581980678. Here is that URL
Princess Diana Launches Royal Princess Doulton Plate | eBay
Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 AM

Royal Memorabilia

Spent a very productive morning, mooching around the local Charity Shops.
Managed to add to my collection of Royal bits and pieces
2 Royal Worcester commemorative plates and a Dalton Silver Jubilee plaque, all for the sum of £14.00

Does anyone else do the same, I just can't help myself............
Old 05-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
Spent a very productive morning, mooching around the local Charity Shops.
Managed to add to my collection of Royal bits and pieces
2 Royal Worcester commemorative plates and a Dalton Silver Jubilee plaque, all for the sum of £14.00

Does anyone else do the same, I just can't help myself............
If any of the antique/pawn shops in the States sold things like that, I'd be doing things like that as often as I could (though I do live in New York City, so I may be able to find something). Great finds, by the way.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:33 AM

For loads of Royal wedding and Diamond Jubilee memorabilia visit 2012 Queen's Diamond Jubilee Merchandise Shop
Old 09-13-2012, 02:27 PM

British Royal Collectibles

Just wondering if anyone else Stateside has a bit of a fetish for 'tourist tat,' as my friend H from London refers to them. My own collection includes a few items from the QE coronation in the '50s (including a marvelous Hattie Carnegie pin), a couple of ceramic boxes and the like. Was only able to afford a small pillbox from BP when we visited September '09 due to the horrific exchange rate. I did also spring for a faux sapphire around the time of the William/Kate madness.

Anyone else have an assortment of goods you'd like to describe?
Old 09-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Serene Highness

Well I have to admit that when the royal wedding was in the air I also bought a replica of the ring. I even bought a tiara to wear for the royal wedding party that I was having. I then purchased some bunting and other british themed items so I could decorate my place. I have since purchased the wedding dvd, a c.d. of all the music, a collectors mug and coaster set and some items from the diamond jubilee. All in all I have a pretty good collection that I am very proud of. And I have to admit that I am probably not done yet. :)
Old 09-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Cousin View Post
Just wondering if anyone else Stateside has a bit of a fetish for 'tourist tat,' as my friend H from London refers to them. My own collection includes a few items from the QE coronation in the '50s (including a marvelous Hattie Carnegie pin), a couple of ceramic boxes and the like. Was only able to afford a small pillbox from BP when we visited September '09 due to the horrific exchange rate. I did also spring for a faux sapphire around the time of the William/Kate madness.

For the most part, all I have is a somewhat meager collection of books on the various members of the BRF. I did buy one of the Stuart crystal memorial candles after Diana died but ended up sending it to a friend in Australia who admired Diana immensely.

If there was an item I could turn back the clock and buy, it was a coffee mug that was minted for William and Kate's wedding. What makes it such a collectible today is that they goofed and instead of William, it was Harry pictured on the mug.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If there was an item I could turn back the clock and buy, it was a coffee mug that was minted for William and Kate's wedding. What makes it such a collectible today is that they goofed and instead of William, it was Harry pictured on the mug.
LOL I remember that one. I think it was made in China. I wonder if anyone sent one to Catherine & William as a joke gift.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Cousin View Post

I don't have any goods but once I visit London, I will make sure to take enough pictures of the crowns and make a better replica than this one:
Sotheby's London to sell replicas of some of the Crown Jewels in its Jewels Sale
Old 10-14-2014, 02:48 AM

interesting coronation find

Ok, I came across this documentation from the queens coronation, I have been trying to find anything like it on the internet but am struggling does anyone know whether this sort of thing has any interest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09760.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	292423   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09765.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	292424   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09766.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	292425   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09772.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	292426  

Old 10-14-2014, 04:05 AM
Royal Highness

How lovely!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:06 AM
Administrator

Thanks drown1989 for posting this - it is very interesting to see this because it goes to show how much detail went into the arrangements and requirements for the Coronation.
These booklets must have been made available to a wide variety of people who would have needed guidance or advice on what to wear - from the peerage to the tailors and dressmakers.
The first picture shows the image of a properly dresses countess or baroness. The next picture shows images of alternative dress in case they did not already have the proper robes.
It makes one wonder what other regulations there were!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:14 AM

thanks for your replies, I am intrigued of how many have actually survived as it would be the sought of thing that would have been chucked away afterward which is more then likely why i am having so much trouble tracking another down, the blue sketch like images is actually the dress worn by Queen Elizabeth during the coronation and there is a very in depth description of the dress, i am guessing this is a seperate piece and has just been put with this for keep sakes
Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdown1989 View Post
thanks for your replies, I am intrigued of how many have actually survived as it would be the sought of thing that would have been chucked away afterward which is more then likely why i am having so much trouble tracking another down, the blue sketch like images is actually the dress worn by Queen Elizabeth during the coronation and there is a very in depth description of the dress, i am guessing this is a seperate piece and has just been put with this for keep sakes
There may be more in existence than you might imagine, tucked away in old boxes at the back of some great mason or other. They may have been kept as souvenirs by servants or staff.
I am quite sure i have seen images of these things on the internet, as well as images of the 7 or 8 designs Normal came up with for the Coronation gown before the final one was chosen.

This link is interesting:

Peers' Robes - Ede & Ravenscroft
Old 05-20-2015, 04:10 PM

prince charles on cover

I won a lot that includes some royalty stuff and it has a publication that features prince Charles as a young boy. here is the link with the item in it Ephemera – good lot, incl vintage Royalty, maps, theatre progs etc. so could anyone tell me which publication it is please if you can
Old 05-31-2015, 10:39 AM

royalty items

I got the following royalty stuff in a job lot of other stuff and want to know if any of it is worth anything or not please. here is what I got

royalty illustrated vol 2&3
the coronation album of princess Elizabeth
21st birthday pictorial souvenir of princess Elizabeth
coronation supplement 1937
our first prince book 2 about prince Charles