Questions from TheWriter

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWriter

City
Columbus
Country
United States
Who truly deserves the throne in my story?

I'm writing a story my main villain is after the throne of a king for reasons known only to him and the current king. Now the king has a daughter who is later revealed to not be biologically related to the king but he still raised her as his own daughter. She's not even of royal blood.

The king had a son who died before the girls birth and it comes out that the main villain is the the son and he had been betrayed by his own father and left for dead only to survive and be disowned for an unfair reason.

Now my question is who deserves to be the heir?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say the son. Even though against odds he did survive, he still is the King's first born son and carries the royal blood. Kind of like King Uther Pendragon's situation with Arthur. Even though Morgana is the King's daughter (adopted in your story), a first born son would take precedence over any female. It would also depend on the historical period that you are setting your story in. If futuristic, equal primogeniture most like would be in place but still there's the matter of royal bloodlines vs. adopted. It would figure in too if anyone other than the present King knew she wasn't his biological daughter.

Last edited by a moderator:
i didnt even need to think twice, who truly deserves the throne is: The Son

no matter if he was abandoned or betrayed, once he returns to his mainland, he has the right to be the immediate heir of the King. First: he is of royal blood. Second: he is a boy/son (considering its Medieval time). Third: he's the King's son and not of any "ordinary" royal. Fourth: he is the eldest and only son.

even though raised by the King himself, the girl is adopted and thus she doesnt have any legimate rights to succed the throne, and even less when the son makes an appearence.
but theres a way, she can be Queen but Queen consort if she marries the son. of course its your story, im sure you're going to put drama, betrayal, etc...

when i read your information of your story, i thought right away of a Korean drama called Queen Seon Deok, where she was born a twin (both girls), but her father had to abandoned her in order for his wife and his throne to be alive (because of a myth that when twins are born, caos will come). however she returned and brought back what was stolen from her and she became The First Female Queen in Korean history of monarchs.

just off-topic, but i like to write stories, ive only wrote a full story on a book level (the era is medieval in Europe and the title is "Memoirs of a Plebeian") and i wrote a full-lengh synopsis story called "Ameraah" (ancient Asia). whats your story's title?

Last edited:
It's wonderful to write stories and this one sounds very intriguing!

As others have said, I believe that the long-lost son is the rightful heir to the throne......although I suppose it depends on the constitution of the country! Maybe the law changed to make the adopted daughter rightful heir and they eventually marry to become joint monarchs?!! Perhaps when the King dies, other lands belonging to him are dicovered enabling both to reign over their own countries!
I have to say that as soon as I read that the daughter was adopted, the obvious thing would be for her and the son to get married. I'm quite sure there will be a twist in the tale!!

I expect it will be the one with the biggest army and the most supporters to back up their claim.

It's wonderful to write stories and this one sounds very intriguing!

As others have said, I believe that the long-lost son is the rightful heir to the throne......although I suppose it depends on the constitution of the country! Maybe the law changed to make the adopted daughter rightful heir and they eventually marry to become joint monarchs?!! Perhaps when the King dies, other lands belonging to him are dicovered enabling both to reign over their own countries!
I have to say that as soon as I read that the daughter was adopted, the obvious thing would be for her and the son to get married. I'm quite sure there will be a twist in the tale!!

Actually the son wants her dead he despises her simply for being loved more by his father who cast him aside for no reason. He even kills his father to get the throne. The Princess's love interest is the true protagonist and main character.

I expect it will be the one with the biggest army and the most supporters to back up their claim.
Or access to same effective poisons or, failing that, really sharp daggers.

Can an american have a royal title?

If you are born in the states and have parents of nobility can you have a royal title?

Of course, which determines if you'll have a title is your parents (most likely your father) not your nationality.

Last edited:
Yes, Americans can inherit titles and a number of them have. The Earl of Wharncliffe is an American by birth and lives in Maine.

I don't believe the UK prohibits anyone born in any country (US or otherwise) from inheriting a title.

However, interestingly enough, some countries don't allow citizens to hold foreign titles. In 2001 when HM wanted to confer a life peerage on Conrad Black (who held dual British/Canadian citizenship) the Federal Court of Canada ruled that a Canadian citizen should not receive a British titular honour as per the 1919 Nickle Resolution.

Doesn't have to be a UK title either.

I don't believe the UK prohibits anyone born in any country (US or otherwise) from inheriting a title.

However, interestingly enough, some countries don't allow citizens to hold foreign titles. In 2001 when HM wanted to confer a life peerage on Conrad Black (who held dual British/Canadian citizenship) the Federal Court of Canada ruled that a Canadian citizen should not receive a British titular honour as per the 1919 Nickle Resolution.

Yes, it is not that Canadian law does not allow Canadian to hold a title it is that they cannot themselves be created a peer or receive a British knighthood. Interestingly there is not the same problem with receiving knighthoods from other nations, presumably because the recipient does not get to call themselves Sir. A number of peers actually live in Canada.

Isn't Christopher O'Neill going to become the Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland of jure uxoris, upon marrying Princess Madeleine in June?

Isn't Christopher O'Neill going to become the Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland of jure uxoris, upon marrying Princess Madeleine in June?

Probably, but it won't be a title conferred on him it will be a title gained by marriage and lost if the marriage is dissolved. It is his wife's duchy not his in his own right.

Are Swedish titles conferred onto men when they marry women who hold them in their own right?

That was awkwardly phrased....

In Britain when a woman who holds a title in her own right marries her husband doesn't get the title. We see this in Princess Anne; when she married her husband didn't become The Prince Anne, he remained title-less. In comparison, when Prince Andrew married, Sarah Ferguson became The Princess Andrew in addition to the female equivalent of Prince Andrew's other titles. If Sweden operates under the same principles, then Christopher O'Neill will remain Christopher O'Neill and not become the Duke Hälsingland and Gästrikland of jure uxori.

^^^^^
When Maddy was going to marry Jonas it was announced that he would be known as duke (but not HRH). Maddy is the one having the dukedom, her husband would just be a consort duke rather like it is done in Spain with the Infantas husbands.

Let's wait and see what the SRF announces before the wedding!

I was always under the impression that Americans could NOT hold titles. That's why the founding fathers decided on an elected President rather than any type of monarchy. They knew how a system of nobility could be abused.

Makes me want to do more research on this.

I was always under the impression that Americans could NOT hold titles. That's why the founding fathers decided on an elected President rather than any type of monarchy. They knew how a system of nobility could be abused.

Makes me want to do more research on this.

Americans can't hold American titles. There is no American system of nobility. But that does not prevent them from holding foreign titles. They're noble, just not within their country.

When I became an American citizen one of the things stated on my lengthy application was that I would have to give up any foreign royal or noble titles. That is to say any titles I would have had would have meant nothing in the United States.

The U.S. Constitution prohibits the giving of a title of nobility by the American Government (Congress, the President, or the Judicial) or the receipt of the same "from any King, Prince, or foreign State" by high public officials during their terms of office, or by military personnel while enlisted.

Private American citizens are free to accept and use titles of any kind whatever, noble or otherwise.

Citizens of the United States like to think that we are classless and untitled, cherishing these egalitarian concepts as marks of the unique American opportunity for upward mobility in class and power. In everyday practice, however, Americans are very much aware of how to create and use
titles to establish class and wield power. A primary example of the importance of a title as a mark of power and status is the title "Ms." (rhymes with fizz), created some years ago by feminists for use in the place of "Miss" or "Mrs," both of which titles show a woman's relationship to a man. The title "Ms." is egalitarian in that it shows gender only, exactly as does the modern "Mr." (L.G. Pine, in The Story of Titles, discusses the original and modern uses of "Mister," a variation of "Master." Interestingly, like "Ms.," most royal and noble titles are themselves egalitarian in that they show gender only--for example, a Queen is not necessarily the wife of a King, a Baroness is not
necessarily the wife of a Baron.) The general acceptance and use of the once artificial "Ms." show that Americans clearly understand and acknowledge the value and importance of the title as an empowering device.

A legitimate noble title always has a legitimate royal source, called a fons honorum (Latin: "source of honor," the "fountainhead" from which the legitimate title is issued). What is important to know is that noble titles do not come from governments, but from heads of royal families, called
a "royal house." Thus, the royal house is a dynastic family holding hereditary royal title and prerogatives usually based upon modern or ancient geographical rulership; the royal dynastic family need not necessarily currently head a government or rule a nation. A government is not, of itself, royal, nor can a government declare itself royal--it is persons who are royal or
noble, and it is the head of that government who is royal. Thus, a government as an entity is not and cannot be a fons for royal or noble titles (Which makes the American Constitution's prohibition perfectly proper.). In fact, the universal practice is that a government which prefers a royal head of state doesn't create it, but goes, instead, to one of the royal houses (in Europe or elsewhere) to find a monarch to reign. Observe the actions of the British Parliament when, in 1701, it became apparent that King William and Queen Anne were not going to leave any heirs in line for the throne. Parliament wanted, of course, a Protestant sovereign, but even the British Parliament had
not the authority to create royalty, nor could the King and Queen declare an heir. Therefore, Parliament, understanding that governments do not beget royalty, began to carefully scrutinize Europe's royals, searching for a suitable candidate to come to the throne after King William's death. Having analyzed genealogies and religious proclivities, Parliament settled on the Electress of Hanover, who had the virtue of being the granddaughter of James I. However, the Electress died before the British throne became available, so the office passed to her son, George Ludwig who became King George I of England.

HMQEII bestowed knighthoods on both Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush --- AFTER they had left office.

If you have a title and an American doesn't use it when addressing you...well, they don't have to. Here you are just Ms., Mr., Mrs. or Miss.

Last edited:
From the research I did I found that in 1810 congress passed an amendment to the constitution that would strip citizenship from any American who accepted a foreign royal title. However, it was never passed by the required number of states to make part of the constitution.

From the research I did I found that in 1810 congress passed an amendment to the constitution that would strip citizenship from any American who accepted a foreign royal title. However, it was never passed by the required number of states to make part of the constitution.

Yes - see - Titles of Nobility Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In another case, when one becomes a US citizen, you have to renounce "allegiance and fealty" to a foreign ruler or state (USCIS - Naturalization Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America) . You do not have to specifically renounce your title, but since you are renouncing fealty, the title is sort of silly.

Yes - see - Titles of Nobility Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In another case, when one becomes a US citizen, you have to renounce "allegiance and fealty" to a foreign ruler or state (USCIS - Naturalization Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America) . You do not have to specifically renounce your title, but since you are renouncing fealty, the title is sort of silly.

Actually, you do have to rennounce your foreign titles when you become an American Citizen according to the US Citizenship Service. The Oath of Alligiance is slightly amended in those cases.

The Oath of Allegiance - USCIS Policy Manual - Volume 12, Part J, Chapter 2

Is my character a prince?

Okay in this story I'm considering writing the main character is sort of like the adopted slash bastard son of a king though in some ways he's more like an apprentice to the king. He carries the title of Prince like the rest of his brothers. Some share the same mothers but most of them are all half siblings. Now all of them have their father's last name one is even named after the king in the story.

So would you say my main character is a prince?

Well, if, as I understood, the King gave him the title, yeas, he's a Prince.

But by the standards of many Monarchies, as a "bastard", he would receive no title.

German Royal Titles and Hierarchy

I was wondering does anyone know German royal titles and their Hierarchy I know that a sign of nobility is or was have in the word Von in the name thought I'm not completely certain about that.

Well, if, as I understood, the King gave him the title, yeas, he's a Prince.

But by the standards of many Monarchies, as a "bastard", he would receive no title.

Oh okay to be honest the character and his brothers are demons and the king rules hell but he assigned each son a region on earth to rule. That's why I asked if my character was a prince because I'm not completely sure if that's something a prince does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom