Monarchist and Republican Organisations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattep74

Nobility
City
Vasteras
Country
Sweden
Sweden have a fairly strong and PR-minded republican organisation that have opinion polls upon opinion polls and i was woundering the following:
Does other monarchies in this board also have such movement and how does the popularity of the monarchy poll in other countries?

If i posted this wrong, i apologize

The UK has a republican organisation called Republic UK.

• [SIZE=+1]Australia[/SIZE]
    • Australian Republic Movement
    • AUSFLAG - Our Own Flag
    • Conservatives for an Australian Head of State
    • Republica - Tasmania University Society for an Australian Republic
    • Young Australians for a Republic
    • Australian Republic Issue Guide
  • [SIZE=+1]Britain[/SIZE]
    • The British Constitution Group
    • Republican Party — Not to be confused with the U.S. party of the same name, but a party that seeks to convert Britain into a rfepublic.
    • British Republic — Email group.
    • Republic — Focus on electoral approach.
    • British Republic — Focus on public education and debate.
    • Centre for Citizenship
    • British Republicans
    • Republican Alliance
    • Movement Against the Monarchy (MA'M)
    • Monarchy Out
    • Magna Carta Society
  • [SIZE=+1]Burma[/SIZE]
    • Free Burma Coalition
  • [SIZE=+1]Canada[/SIZE]
    • Citizens for a Canadian Republic = Citoyens et citoyennes pour une république canadienne
    • Uni.ca — Party of unity, have republic as part of their platform.
    • Monarchy-Free Canada
    • Republi-Canada — Email group.
  • [SIZE=+1]Belgium[/SIZE]
    • Cercle républicain = Republikeinse Kring = Republikanischer Kreis (CRK)
  • [SIZE=+1]Denmark[/SIZE]
    • Hjemmeside for danske republikanere
    • Republikken Danmark
  • [SIZE=+1]Iran[/SIZE]
    • Alliance of Iranian Students
  • [SIZE=+1]Luxembourg[/SIZE]
    • déi Lénk zum Thronwechsel
  • [SIZE=+1]Netherlands[/SIZE]
    • Nieuw Republikeins Genootschap
    • Republikeins Genootschap
    • Republikeinse Moderne Partij
  • [SIZE=+1]New Zealand[/SIZE]
    • Republican Movement of Aotearoa New Zealand
  • [SIZE=+1]Norway[/SIZE]
    • For Republikk i Norge
  • [SIZE=+1]Spain[/SIZE]
    • Izquierda Republicana
  • [SIZE=+1]Sweden[/SIZE]
    • Republikanska Föreningen (Republican Alliance of Sweden)
    • Republik! Nu!
Courtesy of:
Code:
http://www.constitution.org/cs_repub.htm

Note - while Burma and Iran are not declared Monarchies, they do function like Absolute Monarchs.
Note2- the bolded ones are the organizations with the most support/power.
Note3 - as to their power - It has been reported 20% of people in Norway support Norwegian Republicanism. And there are a couple polls for the rest.

Despite the many failings of monarchies and such, I have never known anywhere in history where a republic has been run any better, despite all the hype and nonsense you hear about it. Also, despite everything mentioned to the contrary, they're are rife with class systems of all sorts of manner and form. It's the same old idioms over and over again....the more things change, the more they stay the same....and....in a "classless" society everyone is "equal", but there will always be some who are more "equal" than others. They are no better, and in many cases even worse, than most monarchies. There is a good case for the existence of an institution that is beyond politics but can intervene when that political system becomes moribund, corrupt and/or overreaches itself. An institution that represents all of the people and their interests and not just the interests of a particular organisation or party. I'm afraid the modern institution of government is not that organisation. Even less are the political parties which underpin it.

There is a good case for the existence of an institution that is beyond politics but can intervene when that political system becomes moribund, corrupt and/or overreaches itself. An institution that represents all of the people and their interests and not just the interests of a particular organisation or party. I'm afraid the modern institution of government is not that organisation. Even less are the political parties which underpin it.

However the type of monarchy we have in Australia is a do nothing because we can do anything ever monarchy.

The monarchs are just figureheads with no power or authority so regardless of what they think of the government and its laws the monarch can't do anything about a political systme that is moribund, corrupt and/or overreaches itself.

The institution of monarchy is so large and complex that to replace it with a republic would mean a change in the entire fabric of government and way of life for hundreds of thousands of people. It has to be said with all due respect to politicians, that none of them in the respective monarchical systems of the world seem to have the courage or brass or whatever you want to call it to despose of a system that has always been there and always seems to be popular (even marginally so) and always finds a way to give value for money. A republic sounds more sleek and less weighed down with the trappings of state but a monarchy gives a special kind of shine to a country that a purely elected government can go only so far to give it's people. It's as if a monarchy should act as a combined PR/political referee elevated branch of the elected government in the respective countries.

To change the form of government in almost any country these days, the costs would be insurmountable.
Because of the inaccessibly of royals, it simply adds to a person's fascination with royalty in general. I myself wonder the purpose of having, and therefore the upkeep of, a royal family in any country. A good tabloid 'read,' itself an oxymoron, is purpose not of a royal family. Emotions definitely come into play concerning royals and their 'subjects.'

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not understand the modern world ! Why Republic is not monarchical system?
Republic = King public figure !!!
Parliamentary genius who has invented this ? - two thousand years illiteracy is a problem of the modern world ?

The Monarchist League of Canada / La Ligue monarchiste du Canada
The Monarchist League of Canada is a group of your friends and neighbours from across the country, united in their interest in and loyalty towards Canada’s constitutional monarchy. As an inclusive and outward-looking organization, the League is strengthened by the diverse backgrounds and experiences of its members, and is able to project its message nationally in a contemporary manner owing to its credibility and high visibility in the Canadian media.

How about we talk about the monarchist parties/organizations in republican nations like France, Brazil and Germany. What do you think the parties should do differently in order to attract more support in their nations to improve the chances of monarchist restorations? Should they try advertising, should they try more charity in their own nations, should they find pretenders that want to be restored to the throne and have them campaign along side the parties? How should they improve themselves is what I'm asking?

It is nice to see that there are parties in republics but is disappointing that the votes are only in the thousands and not receiving any seats in the national parliaments.

Now here are some parties to consider:

For France we have the Royal Alliance

For Germany we have Tradition und Leben (Tradition and Life in English)

For the Czech Republic we have the Koruna Ceska (Czech Crown in English)

For Austria we have the Black-Yellow Alliance

For Greece we have National Hope

For Poland we have the Conservative-Monarchist Club

For Brazil we have the Pró Monarquia

And this is just the tip of the iceberg for monarchism in republics. Now the question is what should be done to improve these organizations to make them more popular?

-Frozen Royalist

P.S. Please do not bring up the Independent Royalist Party of Estonia, I still feel like slapping my forehead every time I think about those jokers.

I should iterate that it is okay to talk about the struggles these parties are facing, but it should be discussed about how to attract popular support and appeal to greater numbers of their fellow countrymen. Just discuss gaining more support and popularity.

-Frozen Royalist

So nobody feels like doing some research or doing a discussion here? They are the means of monarchist restorations after all, well partly at least but still. Wouldn't it interest why organizations/parties like the Royal Alliance in France or National Hope in Greece never gets enough votes to enter the nations' parliaments. Or how about how the monarchists in Brazil still haven't established a party capable of entering the nation's government. Or how about the leaders of said organizations/parties, hasn't anybody here been curious about the leaderships or the men and/or women behind the groups trying to reestablish the crown in their countries. We have always discussed about the royal families and their positions in the various threads of former monarchies like Iran, Nepal, Austria and Portugal but we hardly ever discuss the parties/organizations. So maybe we should talk about the organizations/parties themselves in order to understand the prospects of restorations themselves better.

Maybe I just made another failed thread again...:bang:

-Frozen Royalist

I don't like one issue parties, so as much as I like to see more monarchies, a political party only focusing on that one issue wouldn't get my vote (if I was a citizen of a republic, which I am not).

I would think that the reasons these parties aren't winning seats in their respective governments is that there isn't any real support for their aims.

Their very failure shows the lack of support for restoring the monarchies. These countries have all moved on from the idea of monarchy to one of democracy and republicanism.

So nobody feels like doing some research or doing a discussion here? They are the means of monarchist restorations after all, well partly at least but still. Wouldn't it interest why organizations/parties like the Royal Alliance in France or National Hope in Greece never gets enough votes to enter the nations' parliaments. Or how about how the monarchists in Brazil still haven't established a party capable of entering the nation's government. Or how about the leaders of said organizations/parties, hasn't anybody here been curious about the leaderships or the men and/or women behind the groups trying to reestablish the crown in their countries. We have always discussed about the royal families and their positions in the various threads of former monarchies like Iran, Nepal, Austria and Portugal but we hardly ever discuss the parties/organizations. So maybe we should talk about the organizations/parties themselves in order to understand the prospects of restorations themselves better.

Maybe I just made another failed thread again...:bang:

-Frozen Royalist

One of the problems, if not the major problem with monarchist parties or monarchist movements in many countries is that they seem to be frequently aligned with far-right groups and tend to support an outdated version of "executive monarchy", which puts many people off. That is certainly the case with the followers of the so-called Vassouras pretender to the throne of Brazil. I understand the "Petrópolis branch" is more aligned with a liberal constitutional monarchy, but they don't seem to be interested in the restoration of the monarchy, unlike their far-right cousins.

Last edited:
How about we talk about the monarchist parties/organizations in republican nations like France, Brazil and Germany. What do you think the parties should do differently in order to attract more support in their nations to improve the chances of monarchist restorations? Should they try advertising, should they try more charity in their own nations, should they find pretenders that want to be restored to the throne and have them campaign along side the parties? How should they improve themselves is what I'm asking?

It is nice to see that there are parties in republics but is disappointing that the votes are only in the thousands and not receiving any seats in the national parliaments.

Now here are some parties to consider:

For France we have the Royal Alliance

For Germany we have Tradition und Leben (Tradition and Life in English)

For the Czech Republic we have the Koruna Ceska (Czech Crown in English)

For Austria we have the Black-Yellow Alliance

For Greece we have National Hope

For Poland we have the Conservative-Monarchist Club

For Brazil we have the Pró Monarquia

And this is just the tip of the iceberg for monarchism in republics. Now the question is what should be done to improve these organizations to make them more popular?

-Frozen Royalist

P.S. Please do not bring up the Independent Royalist Party of Estonia, I still feel like slapping my forehead every time I think about those jokers.

Portugal:
People's Monarchist Party (PPM):
Partido Popular Monárquico

Portuguese Monarchic Youth:
Juventude Monárquica Portuguesa | Associação civil sem fins lucrativos de âmbito nacional, dotada de personalidade e capacidade jurídica.

Royal Cause:
Causa Real | Monarquia Portugal

Monarchist parties would need to propose a solution to a problem that people have. Most people probably don't care if the head of state is a monarch or a president. Monarchist parties would need to show why changing to a monarch would directly affect people, for the better.

It's an uphill battle. Systems of government usually don't change absent a major crisis, war or the like. How many countries just decided to change from a monarchy to a republic or vice-versa without something like World War II happening? Very few.

The order is wrong. Not the monarchist parties (the software) have to be improved. The former Royal Houses themselves (the hardware) need vast improvement. As long as there remain disputes in all those former Royal Houses, any monarchist party is useless.

And when there IS unity in those former Royal Houses, then comes the truly Sisyphean Task to convince people that a system in which a certain lady's womb determines the head of state is actually way superior over a system in which the citizens of a country have their own say on the matter.

The order is wrong. Not the monarchist parties (the software) have to be improved. The former Royal Houses themselves (the hardware) need vast improvement. As long as there remain disputes in all those former Royal Houses, any monarchist party is useless.

And when there IS unity in those former Royal Houses, then comes the truly Sisyphean Task to convince people that a system in which a certain lady's womb determines the head of state is actually way superior over a system in which the citizens of a country have their own say on the matter.

There is no need of monarchists parties but of associations promoting Monarchy.
It is unfortunately true that there are too many divisions in some former Royal Houses and in some of them there are doubts about Succession.

What are the organizations that support the monarchy in countries that are monarchy?

In the Netherlands, you'll find 'de Bond van Oranjeverengingen' (federation of orange associations); many communities have an 'orange association' that organizes activities historically centered around the 'family of Orange' (King's Day is the main event).

Monarchists?

Yes, an organization that supports the monarchy. In the UK there is one.
Is there any in Denmark?

UK
International Monarchist League

Spain:
https://www.unionmonarquica.es/

In the Netherlands, you'll find 'de Bond van Oranjeverengingen' (federation of orange associations); many communities have an 'orange association' that organizes activities historically centered around the 'family of Orange' (King's Day is the main event).

Thank you so much :flowers:

Other then the Communist Party, is there anything in Japan? From what I understand they are the only ones who'd really try to establish something like a Republic of Japan.

As for Thailand, Bhutan, Cambodia, Brunei, Tonga and Malaysia, I'm not really much of an expert on those states I'm afraid.

-Frozen Royalist

A Frustrated Monarchist

I'm sorry here, but I'm starting to get beyond annoyed here. It might just be a lack of patience or inexperience with the world on my part, I'm only in my early twenties after all, or just something else entirely I'm not aware of. Heck, maybe it's just I was born in the wrong generation or something

Six years I've been a monarchist, I know you guys have been monarchists longer than yours truly but still.

Here are some of the main things giving me headaches:

The constant restoration articles with not a single hint of progress or a referendum. I'm looking at you Albania, Brazil, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia, Nepal, and Lybia. I mean why the heck do the article at all if, in the end, nothing happens with republicans and trolls saying good riddance.

I'm tired of the constant deadlock in progress of restoration movements with parties and organizations getting nowhere and consisting of people three or four times my age here :bang: Like the Alternative for Germany, the Five Star Movement and the French National Front would be better for your nations anyway. You're telling me that a far-right movement with several neo-nazis and fascists and what not would be better than having a simple referendum. You're telling me that you're fine with the status quo. You're telling me that you're fine with not trying something new or different. Don't tell me that a 2500-year-old form of government that ended up getting swept under the rug by Caeser, in the end, is the best form of government.

I'm tired of the idiocy of the members of the former dynasties themselves. I'm still waiting for new leadership in some of the movements here with a pretender that isn't seen as a quake or a lunatic or whatever. I'm still waiting for better PR teams for the former dynasties and the parties supporting them.

I. Want. Immediate. Progress!

I'd like to see a poll, that is realistic, with restoration in the 30s or maybe the 40s. I'd like to see some more solid debate instead of the same old same old going on with the banana republics of Brazil, Italy, Romania, and Greece. I just want at least something good to happen.

For the longtime members, how do you put up with this? Why isn't much progress being made? Don't give me the usual republicanism is the future okay.

-Frozen Royalist

Progress towards what?

The monarchist movements in the countries you mention are very small. They may write their articles but they know that the vast majority of the population want no part of the restoration of their monarchies.

Until or unless there is close to a chance of success the existing governments won't go with a referendum and they know there is no chance so they aren't going to waste the taxpayers money on a folly.

Many countries with a monarchy often have a larger support base for getting rid of the monarchy than any of the countries you have named have for restoring one.

I came to this site a dedicated monarchist but if given the chance, for Australia, I would vote for a republic now. I know we will get the chance again sometime into Charles' reign - it may not happen then but it is on the agenda of the ALP here and there are also many in the Liberal Party who are republicans.

It is more likely that there will be fewer monarchies in the future than there are now. At least two of the Queen's Caribbean realms are regularly talking about voting her out (and they don't need a referendum of the population to do so - just a majority in the parliament but again respect for The Queen is largely now holding them back).

Republicanism and merit based choices for Heads of State is the future, not re-establishing a system that has been discredited in the countries you mention.

You are from the United States. How strong is the movement there for the re-establishment of the monarchy? Surely that is where you should be beginning rather than worrying about the democratic choices in other countries that don't want to go back to a system that limits their own citizens ability to be the Head of State of their nation.

Last edited:
Progress towards what?

The monarchist movements in the countries you mention are very small. They may write their articles but they know that the vast majority of the population want no part of the restoration of their monarchies.

Until or unless there is close to a chance of success the existing governments won't go with a referendum and they know there is no chance so they aren't going to waste the taxpayers money on a folly.

Many countries with a monarchy often have a larger support base for getting rid of the monarchy than any of the countries you have named have for restoring one.

I came to this site a dedicated monarchist but if given the chance, for Australia, I would vote for a republic now. I know we will get the chance again sometime into Charles' reign - it may not happen then but it is on the agenda of the ALP here and there are also many in the Liberal Party who are republicans.

It is more likely that there will be fewer monarchies in the future than there are now. At least two of the Queen's Caribbean realms are regularly talking about voting her out (and they don't need a referendum of the population to do so - just a majority in the parliament but again respect for The Queen is largely now holding them back).

Republicanism and merit based choices for Heads of State is the future, not re-establishing a system that has been discredited in the countries you mention.

You are from the United States. How strong is the movement there for the re-establishment of the monarchy? Surely that is where you should be beginning rather than worrying about the democratic choices in other countries that don't want to go back to a system that limits their own citizens ability to be the Head of State of their nation.

You're wrong. There are strong moves to restore some monarchies. In Portugal, for example, there are more and more people considering themselves to be monarchists, including young people. As long as referendums are not made in these countries you know if these people want monarchy or republic.

I'm sorry here, but I'm starting to get beyond annoyed here. It might just be a lack of patience or inexperience with the world on my part, I'm only in my early twenties after all, or just something else entirely I'm not aware of. Heck, maybe it's just I was born in the wrong generation or something

Six years I've been a monarchist, I know you guys have been monarchists longer than yours truly but still.

Here are some of the main things giving me headaches:

The constant restoration articles with not a single hint of progress or a referendum. I'm looking at you Albania, Brazil, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia, Nepal, and Lybia. I mean why the heck do the article at all if, in the end, nothing happens with republicans and trolls saying good riddance.

I'm tired of the constant deadlock in progress of restoration movements with parties and organizations getting nowhere and consisting of people three or four times my age here :bang: Like the Alternative for Germany, the Five Star Movement and the French National Front would be better for your nations anyway. You're telling me that a far-right movement with several neo-nazis and fascists and what not would be better than having a simple referendum. You're telling me that you're fine with the status quo. You're telling me that you're fine with not trying something new or different. Don't tell me that a 2500-year-old form of government that ended up getting swept under the rug by Caeser, in the end, is the best form of government.

I'm tired of the idiocy of the members of the former dynasties themselves. I'm still waiting for new leadership in some of the movements here with a pretender that isn't seen as a quake or a lunatic or whatever. I'm still waiting for better PR teams for the former dynasties and the parties supporting them.

I. Want. Immediate. Progress!

I'd like to see a poll, that is realistic, with restoration in the 30s or maybe the 40s. I'd like to see some more solid debate instead of the same old same old going on with the banana republics of Brazil, Italy, Romania, and Greece. I just want at least something good to happen.

For the longtime members, how do you put up with this? Why isn't much progress being made? Don't give me the usual republicanism is the future okay.

-Frozen Royalist

I agree with you, but there are monarchist movements that work:

Serbia:
Kingdom of Serbia Association

I still dream about the restoration of some monarchies. : flores:

Back
Top Bottom