Monarchist and Republican Organisations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with you, but there are monarchist movements that work:

Serbia:
Kingdom of Serbia Association

I still dream about the restoration of some monarchies. : flores:

Listen, I appreciate you trying to cheer me up and all but isn't the Serbian movement considered a joke or something? The problem I see is that there are plenty of former monarchies with opinion polls having restoration in the teens and twenties percentage wise like Germany, Brazil, Italy, Romania, and Russia while at the same time the organizations that actually try to expand that rather impressive, at least in my opinion, numbers tend to be not taken seriously and are usually associated with the farthest of the far-right.

I don't want to see a 100% monarchist world, just a few additional constitutional monarchies in our current world to have trolls and Republicans quiet down at least a little and realize that there are ways of having stable and sufficient countries. I'd be fine if just between 1-5 nations restored theirs, as long as Italy is one of them because I like their royalist flag and coat of arms. Maybe put Brazil, Romania, Libya, and possibly Russia on that list as well because why not.

Maybe one reason why I don't like presidential republics is that of the division it can create with them rarely having approval ratings above 50% and often times at around just 10% approval, I'd probably be indifferent towards the idea of form of government if this didn't constantly happen just about everywhere I look. Yeah sure some of the political cartoons are very hilarious and I enjoy watching John Oliver and the Late Show with Stephen Colbert and all but in the end, you realize that the person being mocked is still head of state and commander in chief of a military. Now you might have sympathy and respect the office like I once did but it gets old after many repeats.

I honestly don't have a problem with democracy but I hate how it just seems like a popularity contest these days, I can't be the only one with that opinion. Isn't compromising with differing opinions a main feature of democracy? Nowadays, its all about radicalism about refusing to cooperate to get anything done and deadlocks for everyone involved meaning that governments get shut down or reforms don't get carried out in the end, seriously why is shutting down a government a thing in a democracy, to me that just seems like something that a nation like Venezuela could do.

I admit constitutional monarchies could have the same problem but at least the highest office in the land, the king/queen or emperor in Japan's case, isn't actively encouraging it like the president in the nation and that's another reason I admire constitutional monarchies to the point where I consider myself a royalist.

In a way, I appreciate the whole constant worry of opinion polls in current constitutional monarchies because the royal families are constantly trying to fulfill a unifying and stable symbol for the nation while fearing the possibility of getting voted out via referendum and I like that. Republics just don't have that option of doing a new system, just doing a different face each time and that just annoys me for some reason.

-Frozen Royalist

Yesterday there was a mass event of the separatist, anti-monarchist, extreme rightwing party Vlaams Belang which is currently Number One in the polls (the equally separatist, anti-monarchist but more moderate rightwing Nieuwe Vlaamse Alliantie) is the current biggest party of Belgium and Number Two in the polls.

Reason for this mass event? Since the Elections of 26 May 2019 (!) there is still no new Belgian Government, despite the challenges facing the nation (Corona, Brexit, Separatism). The two great victors of these Elections are not in play, since 7 smaller parties (all lost seats in 2019) group together in an attempt to keep the two separatist parties out. The rationale of these two parties: 60-70-80 ! 60-70-80 ! 60-70-80 !

They mean: "We, the Dutch-speaking part, form 60% of the Belgian population, pay 70% of the Belgian taxes and produce 80% of the Belgian export !" (and have to pay for the three other regions). This rationale, with the total inertia in Brussels, coupled with failing public services, with draconic COVID-measures, with fear for an economic crash because of COVID and Brexit, are the perfect storm for these separatists. The fact that the King has a role as completely lame duck constantly sending the one useless pre-formateur after the other does not really help...

https://sceptr.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/heizel-1068x558.jpg

The latest poll in the Francophone and royalist newspaper Le Soir showed a majority for the two Flemish separatist parties:

27% Vlaams Belang
23,3 Nieuwe Vlaamse Alliantie
This polling means these two Dutch-speaking, separatist parties together can win a clear majority in the Chamber, ousting all other Dutch- and French-speaking parties.

Last edited:
The Republican Society has raised enough money for a lawsuit against the State of the Netherlands.

Their grievance: the King is president of the Council of State, the King signs laws, the King appoints and takes the oath from ministers, judges, etc. His portrait hangs in courtrooms. Justice is spoken in name of the King.

All this is "undemocratic power" and is a violation of the trias politica in the opinion of the Republican Society and they want to sue the State of the Netherlands for violation of the right having an impartial Government and impartial Justice.

I'd like to bring up a monarchy in a republic. One example is the Kasultanan Yogyakarta in Indonesia.

Indonesia is a republic and Yogyakarta, one of its province, is technically a monarchy in which its king, the Sultan, "rules" as the governor so he is not just a "symbol" but also involves in the government and, interestingly, also involves in politic.

To make thing more interesting, in 2008 there's a proposal in the Indonesian parliament that Yogyakarta's governor would be elected just like in the other provinces, but then there's a huge protest by people of Yogyakarta rejecting it, there's even a talk (more like a threat) by those protesters that Yogyakarta would separate from Indonesia and became their own country if the Indonesia gov proceeds with it. In the end, as a compromise, instead of the Sultan automatically becomes Yogyakarta governor for life, the Indonesian president would (regularly) appoints the Sultan as governor (so it's kind of like for formality purpose only).

Is there anything similar in other country?

Sweden have a fairly strong and PR-minded republican organisation that have opinion polls upon opinion polls and i was woundering the following:
Does other monarchies in this board also have such movement and how does the popularity of the monarchy poll in other countries?

If i posted this wrong, i apologize

Related but separate question: Other than Australia and Spain, which present-day monarchies have the strongest support for republicanism?

I saw an interesting comment from a poster on Quora recently where he or she said that, since MPs and ministers in the UK and the Commonwealth realms must swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen, they cannot support a republic without being in breach of their own oaths. I don't see it that way though.

As far as I understand, the oath of allegiance today is not meant to be a statement of personal allegiance to the Sovereign, but rather an acknowledgment that you recognize the legitimacy of and submit to the authority that proceeds from the Sovereign (or "the Crown") under the constitution.

In that sense, an MP or a minister would be clearly in breach of their oaths of allegiance if, as the Americans in 1776, they engaged in an insurrection which would attempt to overthrow the Queen's government and the Queen's laws unilaterally by violent and extra-legal means. However, if they pursued a transition from a monarchy to a republic by legal means under the established constitutional order, they would still remain "loyal" as the legislative power under the Crown also includes the possibility of the Queen or the Governor General in a realm disbanding their own offices by assenting to legislation (or, in the case of Canada, issuing a constitutional amendment proclamation) to that end once the necessary conditions laid out in the constitution have been fulfilled.

Why do you think? Does it make sense, or is it a stretch, and the Quora poster is actually right?

Back
Top Bottom