Monarchies - Facts Figures & Statistics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fearghas

Courtier
City
brisbane
Country
Australia
With the announcement of the impending abdication Of Queen Beatrix I began to wonder how this would affect the statistics amongst the ten reigning European Monarchs. Here are some I thought off.
*The future King of the Netherlands will be the newest reigning monarch, pushing Prince Albert of Monaco into 9thb place.
*He will also be the youngest
*The all time high of three reigning Queens will drop to 2.
*And there will now be 5 Kings
*with 8 male monarchs
*There will be 2 immediate female heirs.
*With Princess Amalie being the youngest heir
*There will be two former monarchs alive (Queen Beatrix and Grand Duke Jean)
*The Netherlands will join Luxembourg and Monaco with having just two generations, the Monarch and the heir. All the others have The Monarch, the Heir and the Hiers child. This will soon be changed with the birth in the UK of the child of the heirs heir.(4 generations)

Can you think of others?

The king of Thiland who has been regent since 1946 june 9th will have seen 4 different regents in the netherlands during his time as king

Queen Wilhelmina
Queen Juliana
Queen Beatrix
King William-Alexander

The Netherlands will have its first Roman Catholic consort!

Probably the most obvious one: the Netherlands will have its first King and Queen Consort in 122 years.

Probably the most obvious one: the Netherlands will have its first King and Queen Consort in 122 years.

That is indeed.....but I believe its 123 years!

So 123 years give or take a few months :D
Pretty much. ;)
Just checked: the last King died on 23 November 1890, meaning it will be less than 6 months to full 123 years. Besides, 123 sounds better than 122!

April 30th will be the first time that a female has held the title Princess of Orange in her own right.

The first monarch of the Netherlands with a double name and the first time the monarchy goes from mother to son in the Netherlands.

He will be the first of the current reigning Kings and Queens who has a non royal/noble parent. The only other eeigning monarch with a non royal.noble parents in Prince Albert.

:previous:
What about Queen Elizabeth? Her mother was a commoner who only held a courtesy style of a Lady.

With the announcement of the impending abdication Of Queen Beatrix I began to wonder how this would affect the statistics amongst the ten reigning European Monarchs. Here are some I thought off.
*The future King of the Netherlands will be the newest reigning monarch, pushing Prince Albert of Monaco into 9thb place.
*He will also be the youngest
*The all time high of three reigning Queens will drop to 2.
*And there will now be 5 Kings
*with 8 male monarchs
*There will be 2 immediate female heirs.
*With Princess Amalie being the youngest heir
*There will be two former monarchs alive (Queen Beatrix and Grand Duke Jean)
*The Netherlands will join Luxembourg and Monaco with having just two generations, the Monarch and the heir. All the others have The Monarch, the Heir and the Hiers child. This will soon be changed with the birth in the UK of the child of the heirs heir.(4 generations)

Can you think of others?

The first time since 1849 the consort of the monarch is not coming from Germany.

The Netherlands will have its first Roman Catholic consort!

Yes, that is right.
But Maxima will not be the first non Protestant (Hervormde) Queen of the Netherlands.
Queen Anna Palowna, the wife of King Willem II was Russian Orthodox.

The first time since 1849 the consort of the monarch is not coming from Germany.

Reading this I just realise that Maxima is just the second consort not comming from Germany.
Anna Palowna was the first one. All six other consorts of came from Germany.

Last edited:
The abdication of Queen Beatrix is the first one of its kind on the current Royal Forums!

He will be the first of the current reigning Kings and Queens who has a non royal/noble parent. The only other eeigning monarch with a non royal.noble parents in Prince Albert.
Prince Claus father belonged to the untitled German nobility and his mother was a Baroness, so his parents were noble, and Claus belonged to the nobility although not titled.

This is a great thread! I was thinking about the fact that Williem-Alexander will be the only monarch still with a parent alive......then realised that Grand Duke Henri still has his father alive too and then it made me think how similar the Netherlands and Luxembourg are at times!

Can you think of others?

Monaco is actually just 1 generation at the moment as the Heiress is the sister of the Prince.

Prince Claus father belonged to the untitled German nobility and his mother was a Baroness, so his parents were noble, and Claus belonged to the nobility although not titled.

I was unaware that Claus was ofthe nobility

I see King Albert II abdicating in favor of the Duke of Brabant in a near future. So we'll have this three Monarchies (The Netherlands, Luxembourg and Belgium) with the abdication tradition.

But, the other Monarchies will not follow this example.

and 3 direct female as "crown princesses" victoria, elsiabeth and Amalia

Monarchies - Facts & Figures

Based on the post below, I thought it might be interesting to list all monarchies (one per monarch) based on the population of their most populous country.

The thing about the British royal family is that they have more visibility, especially in the English-speaking world (where the biggest international media organizations are based), because Queen Elizabeth II is still the Head of State of 16 countries (totaling almost 140 million people) and the symbolic Head of the Commonwealth (which amounts to 2.4 billion people actually).

Besides, most of the "grand" monarchies of Europe are gone (France, Russia, Austria-Hungary, etc.) and the UK is one of the few "big countries" in the continent (by European standards, I mean) and with an imperial past that is still a monarchy ; another one is Spain, but the international visibility of the Spanish monarchy is mainly in Latin America and in the Iberian peninsula, not so much in the US. Denmark or Sweden are ancient kingdoms with a proud tradition ( I am particularly very fond of the Swedish monarchy) , but they are small countries that do not attract much international attention from the tabloid press except perhaps in neighboring Germany. The Netherlands and Belgium, on the other hand, are old countries, but with relatively new monarchies (established in the 19th century) and, although both once held vast colonial empires (especially the Netherlands), they are not in the same league as Britain, France or Spain in terms of international cultural influence.

1. Japan (126 million)
  2. Thailand (66.5 million)
  3. United Kingdom (66.5 million)
  4. Spain (47 million)
  5. Morocco (36 million)
  6. Saudi Arabia (34 million)
  7. Malaysia (32.5 million)
  8. Netherlands (17.5 million)
  9. Cambodia (15 million)
  10. Belgium (11.5 million)
  11. Jordan (10.5 million)
  12. Sweden (10.5 million)
  13. United Arab Emirates (10 million)
  14. Denmark (6 million)
  15. Norway (5.5 million)
  16. Oman (4.5 million)
  17. Kuwait (4.5 million)
  18. Qatar (2.5 million)
  19. Lesotho (2 million)
  20. Bahrain (1.5 million)
  21. Swaziland (1 million)
  22. Bhutan (700.000)
  23. Luxembourg (600.000)
  24. Brunei (400.000)
  25. Tonga (100.000)
  26. Andorra (80.000)
  27. Liechtenstein (40.000)
  28. Monaco (40.000)
  29. Vatican (800)

Based on the post below, I thought it might be interesting to list all monarchies (one per monarch) based on the population of their most populous country.

1. Japan (126 million)
  2. Thailand (66.5 million)
  3. United Kingdom (66.5 million)
  4. Spain (47 million)
  5. Morocco (36 million)
  6. Saudi Arabia (34 million)
  7. Malaysia (32.5 million)
  8. Netherlands (17.5 million)
  9. Cambodia (15 million)
  10. Belgium (11.5 million)
  11. Jordan (10.5 million)
  12. Sweden (10.5 million)
  13. United Arab Emirates (10 million)
  14. Denmark (6 million)
  15. Norway (5.5 million)
  16. Oman (4.5 million)
  17. Kuwait (4.5 million)
  18. Qatar (2.5 million)
  19. Lesotho (2 million)
  20. Bahrain (1.5 million)
  21. Swaziland (1 million)
  22. Bhutan (700.000)
  23. Luxembourg (600.000)
  24. Brunei (400.000)
  25. Tonga (100.000)
  26. Andorra (80.000)
  27. Liechtenstein (40.000)
  28. Monaco (40.000)
  29. Vatican (800)

You actually left out 15 monarchies: Antigua and Barbuda , Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Grenada, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Solomon Islands, and Tuvalu. The combined population of those 15 countries (where Elizabeth II is Queen) plus the United Kingdom is around 140 million (give or take).

And the 54 countries of the Commonwealth (mostly republics like India, Pakistan, Nigeria or South Africa) do have an aggregate population in excess of 2 billion.

Hence my point that Queen Elizabeth II's international visibility goes far beyond the UK properly. In addition, she is one of the longest reigning monarchs (the longest perhaps now ?) and having been around for such a long time and having met so many world leaders and historical figures does boost one's profile. Being the queen of an English-speaking country helps too, because English is the international lingua franca and most media with an international coverage use English.

And, finally, my original post on the other forum was about European monarchs specifically. My point about Spain in particular was that it is the European monarchy with the second largest population among the monarchies in the continent (behind only the UK), but, more significantly, in addition to the 47 million Spaniards propely, there are more than 400 million people worldwide who are native Spanish speakers and, even though most of them are probably not interested in royalty, they may read Spanish magazines that cover royalty. If I am not mistaken, Felipe and Letizia's wedding got a lot of coverage too in Portugal (which is not Spanish-speaking BTW) and in Latin America, with live coverage in many countries (it was their "royal wedding" so to speak, as UK royal weddings are to the Americans).

EDIT: I have just checked and Wikipedia actually puts the population of the Commonwealth realms at around 148 million (hence, almost 150 million), which is more than I had estimated.

Last edited:
You actually left out 15 monarchies: Antigua and Barbuda , Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Grenada, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Solomon Islands, and Tuvalu. The combined population of those 15 countries (where Elizabeth II is Queen) plus the United Kingdom is around 140 million (give or take).
I stated that I would only include one country per monarch based on their most populous country... So yes, that was essentially saying that (among others - such as Curacao, Aruba and St Maarten) I left out the queen's other realms. But indeed, the total population of which queen Elizabeth is head of state is much larger than just the UK population (thanks for the number!).

And the 54 countries of the Commonwealth (mostly republics like India, Pakistan, Nigeria or South Africa) do have an aggregate population in excess of 2 billion.

Hence my point that Queen Elizabeth II's international visibility goes far beyond the UK properly.
I did not question the British visibility; although I personally would not count the other Commonwealth countries as they clearly have their own president; so the queen is not their Sovereign.

I just thought it would be interesting to see the numbers and especially look into how the lesser visible countries compare.

I think we can take advantage of this topic to list here all the monarchies that exist and existed in the world.

I will put several lists here, whoever wants to add some information to the lists can do so.

Ancient Near East

Early Bronze Age
Ancient Egypt (3150 BCE – 30 BCE)
Kingdom of Kish (c. 2900 BC – 2296 BC)
Van Lang (2879 BC – 258 BC)
Minoan (c. 2700 BC – c. 1600 BC)
Kingdom of Uruk (c. 2600 BC – 2048 BC)
Kingdom of Ur (c. 2500 BC – 1940 BC)
Kingdom of Lagash (c. 2500 BC – 2046 BC)
Kingdom of Kerma (2500 BCE – 1500 BCE)
Middle Bronze Age
Amorite Kingdom (c. 2000 BC – 1595 BC)
Kingdom of Assyria (c. 2000 BC – 605 BC)
Kingdom of Larsa (1961 BC – 1674 BC)
Babylonia (1830 BC – 732 BC)
Mycenaean (c. 1900 BC – c. 1100 BC)
East Asian Bronze Age
Gojoseon Kingdom (2333 BC – 108 BC)
Xia Kingdom (2070 BC – 1600 BC)
Shang Kingdom (c. 1600 – 1046 BC)
Late Bronze Age
Mitanni Kingdom (c. 1500 BC – c. 1300 BC)
Kingdom of Arzawa (c. 1500 BC – c. 1200 BC)
Phoenicia (1200 BC – 539 BC)
Iron Age
Magadha Kingdom ( – 320 BC)
Colchis ( – 164 BC)
Kingdom of Phrygia ( – 696 BC)
Kingdom of Lydia ( – 546 BC)
Philistia ( – 732 BC)
Sabaean Kingdom (c. 1100 BC – 275 CE)
Zhou Kingdom (c. 1046 – 256 BC)
United Kingdom of Israel and Judah – (1030 BC – 931 BC)
Kingdom of Ammon (c. 1000 BC – 332 BC)
Kingdom of Israel (930 BC – 720 BC)
Kingdom of Judah (930 BC – 586 BC)
Kingdom of Edom (c. 900 BC – c. 600 BC)
Kingdom of Urartu (858 BC – 585 BC)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom