The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-01-2015, 07:42 PM
Majesty

aj00192557 inquired if somebody has a title like count/countess, do they use it in real life?
I was able to speak to a Grof Mailath from Hungary.
He explained that when a son is born in this noble family, the boy is a grof (count). He explained that when a daughter is born in this noble family, the girl is a countess.
He explained that he does not use his title in the United States.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:19 PM
Commoner

Difference between absolute and traditional monarchy

I'm not sure I get it.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:50 AM
Commoner

Hello Hector, they're both the same thing. In a more traditional form of Monarchy, complete authority and power is exclusively retained in the Crown and whoever wears it. He or she is not restricted by any and all laws and is free to propose laws in his or her accord.

I don't really know much about Monarchies in Asia or Sub-Saharan Africa or the America's so I am speaking on European Monarchies.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:59 PM
Majesty

The British monarchy is traditonal, in that it still holds to a lot of ceremonial which other monarchies have jettisoned.. and in many ways to old fashioned social tradtions. However it is very far from an absolute monarchy. I dont think there are any absolute monarchies in europe other than Monaco...
Old 01-11-2021, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
The British monarchy is traditonal, in that it still holds to a lot of ceremonial which other monarchies have jettisoned.. and in many ways to old fashioned social tradtions. However it is very far from an absolute monarchy. I dont think there are any absolute monarchies in europe other than Monaco...
Monaco's monarchy is not absolute, nor is Liechtenstein's. They may have more powers than others, but they are not absolute.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:17 PM
Aristocracy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Fenwick View Post
I'm not sure I get it.
Dear Hector Fenwick,
Could you be looking for the difference between an absolute monarchy and a constitutional monarchy?
In an absolute monarchy, the King has absolute power and is not bound by any laws.
In a constitutional monarchy, the power of the King is bound by the constitution.
As far as I know, all monarchies in Europe are constitutional monarchies. (Except maybe the Vatican).
Old 01-12-2021, 02:33 PM
Serene Highness

Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates - would you say those of absolute monarchies?