The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-01-2015, 07:42 PM
Majesty

aj00192557 inquired if somebody has a title like count/countess, do they use it in real life?
I was able to speak to a Grof Mailath from Hungary.
He explained that when a son is born in this noble family, the boy is a grof (count). He explained that when a daughter is born in this noble family, the girl is a countess.
He explained that he does not use his title in the United States.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:19 PM
Commoner

Difference between absolute and traditional monarchy

I'm not sure I get it.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:50 AM
Commoner

Hello Hector, they're both the same thing. In a more traditional form of Monarchy, complete authority and power is exclusively retained in the Crown and whoever wears it. He or she is not restricted by any and all laws and is free to propose laws in his or her accord.

I don't really know much about Monarchies in Asia or Sub-Saharan Africa or the America's so I am speaking on European Monarchies.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:59 PM
Majesty

The British monarchy is traditonal, in that it still holds to a lot of ceremonial which other monarchies have jettisoned.. and in many ways to old fashioned social tradtions. However it is very far from an absolute monarchy. I dont think there are any absolute monarchies in europe other than Monaco...
Old 01-11-2021, 01:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
The British monarchy is traditonal, in that it still holds to a lot of ceremonial which other monarchies have jettisoned.. and in many ways to old fashioned social tradtions. However it is very far from an absolute monarchy. I dont think there are any absolute monarchies in europe other than Monaco...
Monaco's monarchy is not absolute, nor is Liechtenstein's. They may have more powers than others, but they are not absolute.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:17 PM
Aristocracy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Fenwick View Post
I'm not sure I get it.
Dear Hector Fenwick,
Could you be looking for the difference between an absolute monarchy and a constitutional monarchy?
In an absolute monarchy, the King has absolute power and is not bound by any laws.
In a constitutional monarchy, the power of the King is bound by the constitution.
As far as I know, all monarchies in Europe are constitutional monarchies. (Except maybe the Vatican).
Old 01-12-2021, 02:33 PM
Royal Highness

Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates - would you say those of absolute monarchies?
Old 02-10-2021, 03:31 PM

so much confusion in royal families honestly
Old 02-10-2021, 04:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofialillian View Post
so much confusion in royal families honestly
Welcome to TRF!

Interesting statement; what confusion are you talking about?
Old 02-10-2021, 04:09 PM

well there are many countries they rule in past but now they are dont give a daam about there countries
Old 02-10-2021, 04:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
well there are many countries they rule in past but now they are dont give a daam about there countries
What monarchies are you specifically thinking about? In most cases their country did no longer want them as heads of states and ousted them, still the majority of royal families from former monarchies still try to maintain a meaningful connection with their country.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Congratulations on your first posts.

In what respect?
The monarchies as an institution?
The constitutions in the various monarchies?
The royal families themselves?
Old 02-10-2021, 04:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
What countries do you mean? Who doesn't give a damn about their countries?
Old 02-20-2021, 01:46 AM
Commoner

Let me try to answer. I am American also. Acknowledging a royal is always good. Bow, nod,lower your eyes or whatever is correct for the place and time. Do not attract attention to yourself. Royals in America often need more guards and travel in the open as it is safe here. If you do not know them go on about your business. Do not expect them to speak to you unless necessary. Answer them if spoken to. Do not open doors or anything for them but do not be rude. If you are make you might offer to open a door. In general it is better you enter so they know it is safe such as at a restaurant or store. Should they cut in line or need a table, you may let them take one first. Royals, American or not are all different but strive to be well mannered. There are exceptions. Most feel all people are equal as beings but they have special duties and thus royal rank. So they are different unique and royal. They are people also and often work long hours only to have things thrown at them or worse by crowds and paparazzi. Some have died because of it. Above all do not distract their guards and do not be rude yourself. Bad language and hand gestures are crude and unnecessary. Should you be invited to join then, do so if possible. It will be most rewarding. You represent America so do a good job. Most royals have years of education on is all, including protocol, music, politics and culture. All royals have rank even if retired or not currently serving. There are also regnant or ruling royals. They have higher rank than others. Often the servants are royals as well. Remember even the queen has served the poor. You might not recognize some royals among us.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sorrry what????

The servants certainly are not royals as well. If you see a royal in public they won’t have servants following them around. They may have a lady in waiting but those are assistants not servants. And they certainly are not royal. Beyond the queens they are rarely even titled. Kate’s certainly is not.

Royals don’t work long hours and serve the poor. Passing them off as needing to be given special treatment as they work long hours is a joke.

If the royals are among you and you are not meant to know don’t now or Avery eyes. They are there on their down time. Act like you normally would and go on with life. If a prince decides to go to Starbucks he can wait in line. That’s those manners you say they have.

They are these exceptionally over educated idols you make them out to be.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

If I understand your post correctly, I agree with you.
It doesn't only apply to royals IMO but to all who have a high public profile.
It's bad manners to approach, photograph, point etc at people, when they go about their private business.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:36 PM
Commoner

A question

I always wonder how did King Edward VII and King George VI, grandfather and grandson,who were both called “Bertie”, to know which one was calling when they were at the same room back then?
Old 03-08-2021, 12:52 PM
Royal Highness

Since the elder was the King, I doubt they would call him by his first name.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroJapsJoRoyals View Post
I always wonder how did King Edward VII and King George VI, grandfather and grandson,who were both called “Bertie”, to know which one was calling when they were at the same room back then?
There probably wasn't too much overlap, because George and May would have called young Bertie "Bertie" and the PoW/King "Papa". The only other person who would have called them both "Bertie" would have been the Princess of Wales/Queen Alexandra, and as she was known to enjoy a joke, I'm sure she worked something out and laughed a lot (or, potentially Queen Victoria as well when young Bertie was a small child, but that was certainly other people's problem, not Victoria's!... He possibly got a bit of "young Bertie".).

Personally, I call them "Bertie One" and "Bertie Two", on occasion.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:13 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
There probably wasn't too much overlap, because George and May would have called young Bertie "Bertie" and the PoW/King "Papa". The only other person who would have called them both "Bertie" would have been the Princess of Wales/Queen Alexandra, and as she was known to enjoy a joke, I'm sure she worked something out and laughed a lot (or, potentially Queen Victoria as well when young Bertie was a small child, but that was certainly other people's problem, not Victoria's!... He possibly got a bit of "young Bertie".).

Personally, I call them "Bertie One" and "Bertie Two", on occasion.
Yes you’d answer what I want to ask, I am curious about how QV and Queen Alexandra would call them

Tags
edward vii, george vi, king edward vii