The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-24-2020, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
To be honest here, this is a practice I've never heard of until now.

For awhile after my second marriage, i hyphenated my maiden name and my married surname and it was legal (by the banks at least) to handle an inheritance i acquired. Mostly now, i just use my married surname.
Several of my American friends and colleagues did so upon marriage. If for example someone's name before marriage was 'Nicole Heather Brown' and she married Edward John Williams; after marriage she is 'Nicole Brown Williams' with Williams being the surname and Brown becoming the middle name. In the UK they would be more likely to be 'Nicole Heather Williams' (or in formal communication 'mrs. Edward (John) Williams') - with Brown being completely left out; while the traditional Dutch form would be 'Nicole Heather Williams-Brown'; and in Canada it would more likely be 'Nicole Heather Brown-Williams'.

Hillary R. Clinton is an example. The R stands for her maiden name, Rodham, not the middle name she was given at birth.

Old 12-24-2020, 07:28 PM
Majesty

She's still Hillary whatever her second name is. It hasn't disappeared becuase she took to using her maiden name when she had a political career....

Old 12-24-2020, 07:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
She's still Hillary whatever her second name is. It hasn't disappeared becuase she took to using her maiden name when she had a political career....
Even the royals with their names that amount to a mouthful of many, many given "middle" names rarely use them all. Even though at times, my bank checks were issued in first name with my maiden surname and married surname hyphenated, I never "lost" my middle name or my confirmation name if we want to get technical. Now my checks are issued in my first, middle and married surname.

If I had to use my full list of names I've had over my lifetime, I'd have to have much, much longer checks to fit them all on. We use what is pertinent for ourselves at the times we need them. Nobody really cares (or even could tell you) what my confirmation name is as its irrelevant to who I am today. BTW: it's Bernadette if anyone is wondering.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Even the royals with their names that amount to a mouthful of many, many given "middle" names rarely use them all. Even though at times, my bank checks were issued in first name with my maiden surname and married surname hyphenated, I never "lost" my middle name or my confirmation name if we want to get technical. Now my checks are issued in my first, middle and married surname.

If I had to use my full list of names I've had over my lifetime, I'd have to have much, much longer checks to fit them all on. We use what is pertinent for ourselves at the times we need them. Nobody really cares (or even could tell you) what my confirmation name is as its irrelevant to who I am today. BTW: it's Bernadette if anyone is wondering.
but it doesn't matter, if you are named legally "Hillary Margaret", then you are still Hillary Margaret whether the surname is Clinton or Rodham or Rodham Clinton... I've never heard of people using thier confirmation namesthough
Old 01-14-2021, 03:48 AM
Majesty

In some of the Roman Catholic Churches, a person lists first name, middle name, Confirmation name, and surname. This is used in the church only. This is not used in the business world.