An Independent Canadian Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been thinking a lot about this topic since the news about Harry and Meghan moving to Canada. The idea of a monarchy based in Canada as opposed to an elected president is very appealing to me for two reasons. 1. Constitutionally, it would seem a LOT easier than establishing a republic here. Our constitution and government could carry on virtually unchanged; only the rules of accession (which I don't think are spelled out in our constitution) would have to be altered. 2. Given who the American head of state is, to say nothing of many other controversial and unpalatable heads of state around the world, I really appreciate the apolitical nature of our monarchy. I read just today how Putin is angling to make changes to the Russian constitution in order to allow him to be president for life. I appreciate that our monarch has no horse in most of our political races. Her job is to defend our constitution and our democracy. My only problem with our current monarchy is that our Queen should be our face to the world. As it is, our Queen is an internationally recognised face of another country (the UK).
While my romantic side rather likes the idea of a member of the Royal Family moving here and taking on the role of King or Queen, I'm inclined to support a more meritocratic accession plan. It's important that people of different ancestries, religions, & regions have the opportunity to personify the nation. Also, the idea that someone "earned" their crown has its own appeal.
I propose we continue having a Sovereign (King/Queen) as described in the current constitution.
The Sovereign would be chosen discreetly by a parliamentary committee (I’m thinking of how the pope is elected.) Remember, we’re choosing a constitutional defender and a national representative, not a policy maker. Campaigning for an apolitical position would seem contradictory; besides, what would be the substance of a public campaign? “I’m more impartial than she is!”
The role of Sovereign would be from ascension to retirement (65-70). I feel a long tenure is important. I want our sovereign to have a domestic and international profile. Currently, Canada’s governors general come and go and the Canadian public barely notices, let alone anyone else in the world. Love her or hate her, Queen Elizabeth II is an integral part of the British “brand”. Canadians and the world need time to get to know our Sovereign.
The Office of the Sovereign would provide a formal role for the Sovereign (obviously) and their spouse. Their children would remain private citizens, although they might need to be accorded a certain level of security even after they reach the age of majority.
I like the idea of our sovereign being addressed as “Her Majesty the Queen”, although perhaps “Her Excellency the Queen” might sound less exalted and appeal more to some. The Sovereign’s spouse could be addressed as “His Royal Highness, Prince…/Her Royal Highness, Princess…” or, if that’s too exalted, simply “His/Her Excellency, Mr/Ms…” I’m inclined not to give their children titles as they will be private citizens.
As an aside, I’d like to see companions/members/officers of the Order of Canada receive an honorific. I like Sir/Lady, but at the very least perhaps “His Eminence, Mr. Wayne Gretzky” or something like that could work.
I have a few guiding principles that I feel should inform our future monarchy.
1. As much as I personally feel affection for our current royal family, for the sake of our national pride and even unity, we can’t have a British Queen/King forever. We need to grow up and move on.
2. Royalty should be chosen/accepted; not inherited or imposed. Royalty does seem to have been a strait jacket for many members of the British royal family and that is not a model we should follow.
3. Our monarchy should strive to be modern and practical while embodying dignity and splendour. In my opinion Canadians have a tendency towards being excessively self-effacing. Let’s celebrate ourselves through the Office of the Sovereign.
4. Canadians should exalt the Office of the Sovereign and honour the person in the Office (not the other way around.)
5. The role of Sovereign should have no religious affiliation. The King or Queen’s religious affiliation should be a private matter.
6. The Sovereign should have a much higher profile than our current governors general.
I’d love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

I've been thinking a lot about this topic since the news about Harry and Meghan moving to Canada. The idea of a monarchy based in Canada as opposed to an elected president is very appealing to me for two reasons. 1. Constitutionally, it would seem a LOT easier than establishing a republic here. Our constitution and government could carry on virtually unchanged; only the rules of accession (which I don't think are spelled out in our constitution) would have to be altered. 2. Given who the American head of state is, to say nothing of many other controversial and unpalatable heads of state around the world, I really appreciate the apolitical nature of our monarchy. I read just today how Putin is angling to make changes to the Russian constitution in order to allow him to be president for life. I appreciate that our monarch has no horse in most of our political races. Her job is to defend our constitution and our democracy. My only problem with our current monarchy is that our Queen should be our face to the world. As it is, our Queen is an internationally recognised face of another country (the UK).
While my romantic side rather likes the idea of a member of the Royal Family moving here and taking on the role of King or Queen, I'm inclined to support a more meritocratic accession plan. It's important that people of different ancestries, religions, & regions have the opportunity to personify the nation. Also, the idea that someone "earned" their crown has its own appeal.
I propose we continue having a Sovereign (King/Queen) as described in the current constitution.
The Sovereign would be chosen discreetly by a parliamentary committee (I’m thinking of how the pope is elected.) Remember, we’re choosing a constitutional defender and a national representative, not a policy maker. Campaigning for an apolitical position would seem contradictory; besides, what would be the substance of a public campaign? “I’m more impartial than she is!”
The role of Sovereign would be from ascension to retirement (65-70). I feel a long tenure is important. I want our sovereign to have a domestic and international profile. Currently, Canada’s governors general come and go and the Canadian public barely notices, let alone anyone else in the world. Love her or hate her, Queen Elizabeth II is an integral part of the British “brand”. Canadians and the world need time to get to know our Sovereign.
The Office of the Sovereign would provide a formal role for the Sovereign (obviously) and their spouse. Their children would remain private citizens, although they might need to be accorded a certain level of security even after they reach the age of majority.
I like the idea of our sovereign being addressed as “Her Majesty the Queen”, although perhaps “Her Excellency the Queen” might sound less exalted and appeal more to some. The Sovereign’s spouse could be addressed as “His Royal Highness, Prince…/Her Royal Highness, Princess…” or, if that’s too exalted, simply “His/Her Excellency, Mr/Ms…” I’m inclined not to give their children titles as they will be private citizens.
As an aside, I’d like to see companions/members/officers of the Order of Canada receive an honorific. I like Sir/Lady, but at the very least perhaps “His Eminence, Mr. Wayne Gretzky” or something like that could work.
I have a few guiding principles that I feel should inform our future monarchy.
1. As much as I personally feel affection for our current royal family, for the sake of our national pride and even unity, we can’t have a British Queen/King forever. We need to grow up and move on.
2. Royalty should be chosen/accepted; not inherited or imposed. Royalty does seem to have been a strait jacket for many members of the British royal family and that is not a model we should follow.
3. Our monarchy should strive to be modern and practical while embodying dignity and splendour. In my opinion Canadians have a tendency towards being excessively self-effacing. Let’s celebrate ourselves through the Office of the Sovereign.
4. Canadians should exalt the Office of the Sovereign and honour the person in the Office (not the other way around.)
5. The role of Sovereign should have no religious affiliation. The King or Queen’s religious affiliation should be a private matter.
6. The Sovereign should have a much higher profile than our current governors general.
I’d love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Hello, I am curious, why then not just getting a lifelong mandated "President" instead of a Queen/King, who would only have ceremonial role? Doesn't it work that way in Germany and Italy (with a limited years mandate).

In essence, you're quite right: there would be no substantive difference between a King and a German-style president.
My main reason for sticking to the title "King/Queen" is that it's already in our constitution. Theoretically, we could change who the King/Queen is without a constitutional amendment. Of course, it will never be as easy as that: a unilateral change of head-of-state would certainly be met with a Supreme-Court challenge; but IF you could get agreement from the provinces, the change would require no constitutional re-writing if I understand correctly.
From an emotional perspective, I really like the idea of blending our current monarchical tradition with something new and uniquely Canadian. Anyone can have a republic! There are hundreds of those. When we eventually, and inevitably, move on from the British Royal Family, we'll have the opportunity to invent something that retains the splendour and tradition of our current monarchy with a modern and inclusive institution that reflects current mores and beliefs.
Everyone loves a glorious coronation; but does anyone believe that Queen Elizabeth was anointed by GOD to be our ruler? I very much doubt even SHE believes that.

All I could say is that an independent Canadian monarchy should be headed by someone who would be able to unite all the provinces of Canada. I would not know what an independent Canadian monarchy would do to Quebec like would it strengthen the call for Quebec independence especially if the chosen monarch is someone they don't like or will they actually appreciate being inside an independent monarchy because it now means that they don't have to "take orders from London" or something to that effect and therefore, they would now find it easier to convince the Head of State to support any concessions for their province.

Canada already has an independent monarchy, the Queen of Canada just happens to be Queen of some other countries too.

But let’s say for whatever reason Canada no longer wanted to be in personal union with it’s closest allies and friends, who would get the throne? Andrew? Harry? Somehow I doubt they would be popular.

I still enjoy the time Somebody and I worked out that we could have had a very plausible King Arthur (Victoria's son - and for 75 years :eek:) and then Queen Patricia (upgraded from Princess Pat), and currently her granddaughter Queen Katherine, but it was locked for some reason.

Personally, I just can't see a monarchy happening out of whole cloth and the Crown being offered for popularity. We didn't even have a Constitution until 1982. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom