What is in the Queen's Handbag?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its a lovely little book and has lots of other snippets of information.

I got my copy from Amazon and I can recommend it to anyone interested in royalty trivia.
What lovely little book? You didn't encase a quote so I'm a little lost here. Borders might have it as well??
Thanks!:flowers:

What lovely little book? You didn't encase a quote so I'm a little lost here. Borders might have it as well??
Thanks!:flowers:

I believe Fabulous Fake was refering to the book "What's in the Queen's Handbag: And Other Royal Secrets" by Phil Dampier and Ashley Walton, the book mentioned in the first post :flowers:

I believe Fabulous Fake was refering to the book "What's in the Queen's Handbag: And Other Royal Secrets" by Phil Dampier and Ashley Walton, the book mentioned in the first post :flowers:
Oh Cool! Thanks!!! :flowers:

I remember reading once that she keeps some kind of hard candy - barley sugar or something - to help prevent her mouth from getting too dry . I imagine these days it would be something sugarless.

I read it's barley sugars(my own favorite candy)for potential upset stomachs and energy.

I was always under the impression..

Compact
Lipstick
Handkerchief
Some sort of mouth refreshment
Reading Glasses
Speech(es)

Oh, and gloves! In the Burrell book he said she's always has a clean pair of gloves in case the ones she's wearing become soiled.

It's interesting to know what she carries in that purse, but I have to say that is the least endearing thing about the Queen, IMO.

It sometimes strikes me as ridiculous that she's carrying that dang purse around everywhere.

Leave it in the car! Hand it to your assistant! But Jeez.. put it down already! ;)

I find it good to have a purse just so that I have something to do with my hands on dressy occasions. Otherwise, what does one do with them? Fold them in front? No, too prissy. Fold them in back? No, makes my big chest look even bigger. Cross my arms? No, looks stand-offish. Keep my hands by my sides? No, feels strange. Hanging onto a purse is just the thing.;):flowers:

It's interesting to know what she carries in that purse, but I have to say that is the least endearing thing about the Queen, IMO.

It sometimes strikes me as ridiculous that she's carrying that dang purse around everywhere.

Leave it in the car! Hand it to your assistant! But Jeez.. put it down already! ;)

Would someone explain me why she has to carry her purse to a garden party at Buckingham Palace? I saw a picture of her recently and I wondered myself why does she bring it while she's at home?

Tradition.

She doesn't feel 'dressed' without it and as a Garden Party, albeit one in her own backyard, is a public engagement for her she feels it is what people expect of her so she doesn't want to disappoint.

I relate her to my mother, who was the same generation, and Mum would never leave the house, even to pop next door to borrow something without her purse. She said 'It isn't right' as if that was a satisfactory explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that HM carries her Ipod with her and maybe even a Kindle. Things to have to pass time while she's traveling and wants to relax. I don't own a Kindle but when I do leave home, I always have a book I am reading with me.

Probably an emergency alert button - panic button that would bring everyone running.

I don't see why she would need a panic button when she is surrounded by guards.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that HM carries her Ipod with her and maybe even a Kindle. Things to have to pass time while she's traveling and wants to relax. I don't own a Kindle but when I do leave home, I always have a book I am reading with me.

HM would not need to carry an ipod - she can have her choice of music in her car, train or plane without any trouble.

Naaaaaw. Corgi snacks. Russo is certain of it!

:D

Didn't I read somewhere that the Queen does have an iPod and likes to use it?

:ermm: I have a hard time believing some of it. Little dogs and horses? A meathook? A photo of Andrew returned home from war what 20 years ago? I'm sure it's more likely to be full of practical items like tissues and makeup and perhaps pen and paper. I also wouldn't be surprised if it contains some kind of personal security device and a mobile phone.

So HM now surfs the net. I wonder if she checks out this site? Or does she spend all her time on the horse racing sites?

LOL I can imagine if she checked this site!!!! :ROFLMAO:

So HM now surfs the net. I wonder if she checks out this site? Or does she spend all her time on the horse racing sites?

HM referred to using the internet in 1997, at the time of her golden wedding anniversary, so one can be reasonably sure she is net savvy. I too have read that she had received an Ipod, but I doubt she carries it around in her handbag.

HM referred to using the internet in 1997, at the time of her golden wedding anniversary, so one can be reasonably sure she is net savvy. I too have read that she had received an Ipod, but I doubt she carries it around in her handbag.

She has them and no doubt she's fallen to the pranks of Harry and William with the cellphone. If she's older like me, its not an important part of her handbag. She probably has staff on the net arranging and plotting anyways. Growing up in the era my mother did.. she probably always has a lace handkerchief, enough money for a phone call (mad money) and pictures of the family she looks at and smiles at. Lipstick and compact with a mirror and always an extra set of gloves. I wouldn't be surprised though if she had the Ipod with her favorite music on it and headphones... Staff goes "HM has headphones on.. she is NOT to be disturbed". :)

She has them and no doubt she's fallen to the pranks of Harry and William with the cellphone. If she's older like me, its not an important part of her handbag. She probably has staff on the net arranging and plotting anyways. Growing up in the era my mother did.. she probably always has a lace handkerchief, enough money for a phone call (mad money) and pictures of the family she looks at and smiles at. Lipstick and compact with a mirror and always an extra set of gloves. I wouldn't be surprised though if she had the Ipod with her favorite music on it and headphones... Staff goes "HM has headphones on.. she is NOT to be disturbed". :)

.... except HM famously never carries any money. :flowers:

.... except HM famously never carries any money. :flowers:

yeps... you're right again... was going on what my mom taught me.

yeps... you're right again... was going on what my mom taught me.
Did tour mom tell you where to keep the mad or emergency money? I'll bet the Queen Mum didn't pass along that pearl to her daughter. :ROFLMAO:

I read that she carries a £20 for the collection plate at church. Can't remember for the life of me where it was.

Back
Top Bottom