What is in the Queen's Handbag?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't remember where I read it, but I always thought thanks to reading it somewhere that HM always has a bottle of seltzer water in her handbag. For when one of her four legged furry darlings has a bit of a boo boo on the floors.

I could be wrong of course, but I know I read that somewhere.

The Queen's bag is becoming bigger at each post :lol::flowers:

Very practical! ;):lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Launer’s of London holds the Royal Warrant for HM. The bags are exquisite.

I would hope some kind of heavy object with which to batter daft prime-ministers with...a possible tradition that goes back decades!

I would hope some kind of heavy object with which to batter daft prime-ministers with...a possible tradition that goes back decades!

Better yet.. a perfumed Irish lace handkerchief with her choice of scent (new thread? what scent does HM like?) which she will discreetly holds to her nose. Body language says it all.. would mean.. "YOU STINK" :0)

I have always wondered the same thing...about her handbag. I noticed long ago that you never see pictures of her without one unless it's an official photo. What I find interesting is that she apparently meets the Prime Minister in her private sitting room, and yet she always has a handbag with her there as well. If all she carries is makeup, gloves and breath mints, then why carry it within your own apartment?

Considering the number of people she has at her beck and call as Queen. you would think she could have someone carry items for her. There must be some other reason she is always with one other than a handbag fetish.

The answer is simple: A lady (especially of "a certain age") wears a handbag as a fashion accessory.
You wouldn't see HM carrying a handbag that is not carefully accessorised. Same with hats.

Considering the number of people she has at her beck and call as Queen. you would think she could have someone carry items for her. There must be some other reason she is always with one other than a handbag fetish.

The handbag is where the panic button is kept. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Maybe she likes to keep her purse handy at all times because she has dry lips/hands and needs quick access to her lotion/lipstick. That's why I keep my purse close by.

A handbag probably gives her something to do with her hands once the formality of hand-shaking is over. I've noticed that she fidgets her hands when she's sitting for portraits, and I'd guess that she likes something to hang onto.

Majesty magazine reports that the Queen carries a comb, a handkerchief, a small gold compact and a tube of lipstick in her handbag. On Sundays, she carries paper money to place in the collection plate at church.

So she doesn't carry the nuclear launch codes in her handbag?

:previous: No, I suspect that the prime minister gets those.

Panic button?

I don't see why people are so interested in what is in her handbag, anyway. She is a lady - and probably carries what most other ladies do.
But sh'es not just ANY lady, she is the Queen after all. And being a gossip monger, Russo's inquiring mind wants to know! :D

I bet she keeps the goodies for her dogs in it. That's why she always has it by her side, even in her private sittingroom....

Edit: Just saw that Russo had the same idea but motnths before me. A toast to you with a fine Merlot from the wineyards of Southern Germany where Merlot is allowed to be grown since around 10 years or so....

Last edited:
This has occasionally been discussed in the media. She apparently doesn't carry more than a handkerchief and gloves. Her lady-in-waiting carries money and anything else she might need.

RoyalistRiley said:
Panic button?

I don't see why people are so interested in what is in her handbag, anyway. She is a lady - and probably carries what most other ladies do.

Yes, probably ordinary handbag items. Perhaps she just likes to carry her handbag to have something for her hands to do since she can't adjust her shirt cuffs like Charles does.

I know I don't feel dressed without my handbag (my DH wonders why I have to have it every time we step out, but I do). My mom was the same way. As I get older, it's even more essential that I have it on my arm or nearby.

As to Ipods, well, there are times when one wants to listen to music or podcasts or lessons or news privately. The Queen seems to have so little time to experience her own moods and inner life (for me, that's what music is about). One does not always wish to share one's moods with the chauffeur, the guards, etc - one may wish to block them out and use the Ipod as a noise canceling feature (I know I would; I've just started using one myself, and more and more, it serves that purpose - it's lovely).

I love that she carries the little trinkets in her purse, too. Her handbag seems to serve many functions, it centers her, contains small essentials for her person (as if anyone would want to have to ask someone else to hand them their lipstick!), and the signaling she does with it is fascinating. I think many people in public life (my job involves far too much public contact, actually) develop these signals, and those who know us well know these signals, it happens naturally but easily becomes a code.

My daughter uses one of those hook things as well, as she is somewhat germophobic (I'm getting there too), and so obviously, the Queen's placing of her bag on the floor is a sign that she's really had it with that engagement (and must be immediately rescued or else!) When I was younger, I thought gloves were a mere fashion statement or affectation, now I see their immense value if people actually want to touch one's hand.

She's one really well-prepared and put together lady. I do wish she'd expand her choice of handbags (but otoh, I've settled in on a couple of styles myself, and find it very difficult to change, and it would hardly be fitting to see Queen Elizabeth II with the latest Marc Jacobs or Fendi bag - can you imagine her with a spybag???)

It was said earlier on the thread that she does have an iPod. There was no citation, but I see no reason not to trust the source. I'd love to see a picture of her using it!

I think she got one from Obama. I hope she hasn't given it to one of her grandchildren!

I believe she had one before that...given to her by her grandchildren.

I wouldn't be the least surprised that she carries a cell phone with her. I just wonder what her ring tone would be. :D

This story was making the rounds in the past (not sure how much of it was true).

Who doesn't like to have a little fun and games with their grandparent, in an attempt to loosen them up? Britain's young royals sure do, and they knew the perfect formula to have a good laugh with Her Majesty.
Princes William and Harry played a prank on their grandmother, Queen Elizabeth, by recording her voicemail to say "wassup!"
The royal brothers thought it would be funny to record the answering machine joke when the queen asked for help setting up her the voicemail on her cell phone.
The recorded message said, "This is Liz. Sorry I'm away from the throne. For a hotline to Philip, press one. For Charles, press two. And for the corgis, press three."

Princes William And Harry Pull Phone Joke On Queen Elizabeth

Back
Top Bottom