The Wit and Humour of Prince Philip

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O come on people. Prince Phillip isn't all angel you know. Remember he does come from a family background with racist tendencies. Didn't all his sisters marry Nazis?

:huh: Sooooo because of this you firmly believe he is and always has been? Yeah. That makes sense.

On a lighter note, I like Prince Philip. Always have, always will. I can relate to his razor sharp wit which most people simply don't "get." Nonetheless, that's okay. It's not his job to make people adore him.;):)

But do remember that Philip is 86 and it's quite normal for an 86 year old to call the Chinese slitty eyed or to pander to any stereotypes come to that. It may be unacceptable by modern standards but it's an age thing. For example, I have alot of ancient relatives who refer to me as queer - it doesn't bother me, it's generational.

Exactly.

My older, I mean, senior family members are just as cranky as well as say PIC words every now and then. People need to remember the time, context, and situation in which the Greatest Generation (thank you Tom Brokow), and prior to, grew up in and/or are used too. You cannot change [a] senior citizens manner and behavior. If you do, depending on the person, you will probably endure the wrath of an cranky senior citizen.

Finally, let me say that I do not agree nor approve with the term used by Prince Philip to describe a person of Chinese, or other peoples of Asian, descent... or any demeaning remark to describe a person's ethnicity for that matter.

Last edited:
O come on people. Prince Phillip isn't all angel you know. Remember he does come from a family background with racist tendencies. Didn't all his sisters marry Nazis?

Prince Philip's sisters married German Royals who were German officers. A lot of the officers supported Hitler, a lot didn't but stayed in the army and served what they considered to be their homeland. AFAIK only one brother-in-law of prince Philip openly supported Hitler. Not all germans were Nazis during 1933-45 and not all German soldiers commited war crimes. And not anybody who jokes about minorities occasionally is a full-fledged rascist. I've never heard the Royal family of Greece and Denmark were per se rascists.

Though I agree that it would be better if such a high-profile public persona would not joke about minorities of whatever kind in public.

What a joke! As long they were in the Nazi army, they were Nazis. This is the very reason his sisters were not invited to his wedding in 1948. And by the way, once you were a Nazi, you were all responsible for the war crimes, whether you did the actual murdering or not.

And apparently, it is obvious that he does not have the skills of diplomacy that is required of "high profile public persona" - and what's more, the consort of the British Sovereign. Then again, diplomacy is not inherited, it is acquired. Probably he never had the education. Let me think. He is the consort of HM The Queen. He must have been taught. If thats the case, then he's just plain arrogant and prejudiced.

As long they were in the Nazi army, they were Nazis.

Wrong. Very very wrong. There really wasn't a "Nazi Army" either (well, there was, but it wasn't contiguous with the German armed forces), any more than the current British Army is the "Labour Army" or the "Tory Navy" went to the Falklands.

And by the way, once you were a Nazi, you were all responsible for the war crimes, whether you did the actual murdering or not.

Then just about everyone in Germany that wasn't put in camps was "responsible for the war crimes," because Hitler didn't go around with cookies asking people nicely to join. They joined or they were dealt with accordingly.

The war wasn't some clear cut "we're all right, they're all wrong" thing. A great number of the people on both sides were just there, doing what they had to do.

I suppose Philip, by extension, also cheated on Diana, had his dog kill the Queen's, and talked to a fake sheikh, since being in a group with someone makes one identical, then.

Last edited:
What a joke! As long they were in the Nazi army, they were Nazis. This is the very reason his sisters were not invited to his wedding in 1948. And by the way, once you were a Nazi, you were all responsible for the war crimes, whether you did the actual murdering or not.

wbenson was right, there was no Nazi army; there was only the Nationalsozialistische Partei which was a political party much like the Britain's Labour and Tory parties or the American's Democratic and Republicans. They got control of Germany's government in 1933 just as the Republicans got control of the U.S. Presidency and of Congress in 2000.

To say that all the German soldiers that fought in WWII were Nazis is just as ludicrous as saying that all the American soldiers fighting in Iraq now are Republicans just because our President is or that all the British fighting in Iraq are Labour because their Prime Minister and Parliament are Labour party.

I suggest you do some more studying of 20th century history before making such statements.

Last edited:
He is the consort of HM The Queen. He must have been taught. If thats the case, then he's just plain arrogant and prejudiced

:flowers: Whether or not he has been "taught" I always pictured him as a man that did what he wanted.....forget about the consequences. Wasn't this part of the reason he wasn't a favorite with the courtiers when he and the then Princess Elizabeth started "courting?" He wouldn't necessarily do what they wanted him too.....;) Anyway, I've been around arrogant people......I've grown up with arrogant people, and while I've never actually met Prince Philip.....he just doesn't seem all that arrogant to me........

Also, while I'm not saying I agree with the things he has said....they don't mesh with my definition of prejudiced.

Dear ysbel,
You have precisely captured the essence of the matter. Usual people expect impeccable behaviour from the members of the Royal houses during official engagements, especially abroad. Furthermore, these members represent their respective countries and are said to contribute to establishing relationships of a various nature (cultural or economic). In light of the said, controversial remarks may undermine work of a particular person from a Royal family during his/her mission abroad.

Well I think it goes beyond what is impeccable behavior of a Royal; I see it as the difference between what is said in public versus what is said in private...and one hopes there is a great deal of difference between the two.

Oh really I don't have a problem with Prince Philip if he thinks that all Chinese have slitty eyes but if he mentions it in situations that he knows damn well will result in the 'slitty eyes' people hearing his comments then I would say this is too much.

Public and private are not the same thing and should not be treated as such. The world is not Prince Philip's private boudoir.

For the record I say such terrible things about all of you to my friends IRL but I would never repeat it on the forum or to someone who I reasonably thought would come to this forum and read it. ;) :lol:

For the record I say such terrible things about all of you to my friends IRL but I would never repeat it on the forum or to someone who I reasonably thought would come to this forum and read it. ;) :lol:
So that is why my ears were burning! :ohmy:

Excuse me? As a German whose father, grandfathers and all maternal uncles (don't have any paternal) served in the Wehrmacht from 1933-1945 because they either were career officers before the Nazis took over the government or had to join at the beginning of the war, I feel very much assaulted and offended. What do you know about the friendships these relatives formed with officers of the Allied Forces after the war when they were cleared of any charges of war crimes? What do you know about my father's nightmares because what he had seen during the war? What do you know of the kind of choice one of my grandfathers had in 1939 when he was a founder of the social democratic party after WWI and had been an activist against war and suppression. He could either go into a concentration camp or join the army.... As I said: there were those kinds of Germans and there were others. To say all Germans were murderers is simply offending.

Last edited:
Why does it matter who his sisters married. They make their decisions and he makes his. Many people my age have parents who are racists but they are not.

Well said, Jo of Palatine, thank you for sharing your family's story.

Sinulord, how can I say this delicately, you have a lot to learn when it comes to history specifically WWII and those who took part (both Allied and Axis.)

Back on Topic:

What ever Prince Philip says in private is his own business. Now when it comes to public, now that is a different story.

Point taken. My humble apologies to Jo of Palatine and to all whom I may have offended in this forum.

Ok this one is pretty cool. I love historical rivalries. and they did murder half his family
sending HRH anywhere to improve relations would be a waste of time he usually says stuff that doesnt go down well and puts both feet in it. probably why as an australian (originally) i personally love his sense of humour :flowers:

Some of his quotes:

When asked his secret for dealing with public appearances, he said “Never pass up a chance to go to the loo or to take a poo.”

He said to an islander in the Cayman Islands, “Aren't most of you descended from pirates?”

“If you see a man opening a car door for a woman, it means one of two things: it's either a new woman or a new car!”

“I don't think a prostitute is more moral than a wife, but they are doing the same thing.”

“Dontopedalogy is the science of opening your mouth and putting your foot in it, a science which I have practiced for a good many years.”

Some of his quotes:

When asked his secret for dealing with public appearances, he said “Never pass up a chance to go to the loo or to take a poo.”

He said to an islander in the Cayman Islands, “Aren't most of you descended from pirates?”

“If you see a man opening a car door for a woman, it means one of two things: it's either a new woman or a new car!”

“I don't think a prostitute is more moral than a wife, but they are doing the same thing.”

“Dontopedalogy is the science of opening your mouth and putting your foot in it, a science which I have practiced for a good many years.”

I love this guy. He's a cool dude and it sets him apart from the rest of royals. He also has my sense of humour and personally, I'm not all that offended by his remarks. They roll off of me and I get a big kick out of them. Now some will comment on the PIC words, but hey it appears the 'thought police' is really a global patrol and has made it some sort of crime or naughty thing to do or say in getting a laugh off someone else. I like comedy and there have been many jokes on me and I have laughed them off. Yes, certainly there were those that hit a soft spot, but many more I have used on others. Love you Prince Philip. Keep up the good work.

His comments appear rather blunt, but I think they are very clever and witty. Many people would get a kick out of listening to him because I certainly do!

This is priceless

I also sent this to the amusing royal thread as well but I think this is priceless and everybody thought the royals have stiff upper lips.

Someone e-mailed me this of the Royal Family on the balcony during trooping of the colours or something but the usually gaffe Prince let off a different gaff but one that comes from his butt by looks of thing. The Queen's face is priceless and so is Prince Harry's reaction while Prince Charles and Princess Anne look more dignified but look in the direction of Prince Phillip who looks like he is leaning over to let another one fly.

Attachments

• Prince Phillip.jpg
    Prince Phillip.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 2,033
icon1.gif
This is priceless
I also sent this to the amusing royal thread as well but I think this is priceless and everybody thought the royals have stiff upper lips.

Someone e-mailed me this of the Royal Family on the balcony during trooping of the colours or something but the usually gaffe Prince let off a different gaff but one that comes from his butt by looks of thing. The Queen's face is priceless and so is Prince Harry's reaction while Prince Charles and Princess Anne look more dignified but look in the direction of Prince Phillip who looks like he is leaning over to let another one fly.
Attached Thumbnails

Oh my gosh those pictures are priceless!!!!

Some of his quotes:

:lol: You see, this is why I adore Prince Philip.:lol: Furthermore, his second quote is very very true.

A small but significant difference here, GT.

What I, as a wife might or might not do, is predicated on love alone, not money, though I'm aware that some troglodytes see marriage as licensed prostitution. If one believes this, then the Duke is right.

He didn't allude, you'll note, to those men who marry or engage with wealthy women for advantage.

I mention this only because I'm fully aware that those sorts of accusations were levelled at Phillip Moutnbatten, himself, when he married the then Princess Elizabeth.

I think, in sum, that's it's more than one of the Duke's most inappropriate comments. I'm not comfortabe in so saying, but that observation does not enhance his persona, in my opinion - if we can trust it's bone fides, that is.

(I knew I should have left my other comment in my previous post...:argh:)

Look, I'm not going to over-analyze his comments because Philp's statement is upfront; thus there is no room for debate, and in the end what he says is true. Ask any man (though prudes may have a fit), and they'll give it to you straight. There is really no difference: One is paid upfront. The other paid in a different manner. People will deny it, but come one... think about it. Think like a man and you'll see the truth to his comment.

:)

There is really no difference: One is paid upfront. The other paid in a different manner. People will deny it, but come one... think about it. Think like a man and you'll see the truth to his comment.:)
I quite agree with you but think like a man.... I am not that far gone! :ROFLMAO::whistling::ROFLMAO:

I would say his comment on prostitutes is inappropriate in light of who his wife is. But in essence his comment is true although i am slightly uncomfortable with it but it doesnt mean he doesnt recognize the other roles wives play, as friends, companions, etc. its just that when it comes to it, one is moral bc shes a wife, the other not so much because she is getting paid for it.

by the way, where did you get this quote from, I have never seen it before?

But in essence his comment is true although i am slightly uncomfortable with it but it doesnt mean he doesnt recognize the other roles wives play, as friends, companions, etc. its just that when it comes to it, one is moral because shes a wife, the other not so much because she is getting paid for it.

by the way, where did you get this quote from, I have never seen it before?
Many men who admit to using a prostitute on a regular basis would say that they see the prostitute as a 'friend', someone who listens to their problems and gives them their undivided attention. Just because someone is a wife, it doesn't automatically mean they have morals or are 'good'. One is paid in cash, one is paid in other ways.

I believe the quotes stated are from an article on his gaffs.:flowers:

In Prince Philip's case, it could be argued that his wife isn't the one being paid. He was, as far as royalty was concerned, fairly penniless when he married one of the richest heiresses in Europe. He isn't paying her for anything, nor has he ever done.

Mind you, this is the guy who referred to Buckingham Palace as a tied cottage, so I suppose he does have a somewhat unorthodox outlook on life.

Last edited:
I suppose he does have a somewhat unorthodox outlook on life.
You can say that again! Prince Philip is absolutely a man of his generation.
And now that you mention it Elspeth, I've always thought that his having literally brought nothing to that marriage might explain his character..his over-assertiveness, roughness and all.

Soooo, I want to make something clear regarding prostitutes and married women as well as those, married and single, who were offended by my comments. The quote below, that I wrote to someone, should do. However, if you have any questions PM me and I will explain in raging detail to you:

Do I really believe my statement regarding prostitutes and married women? To an extent, yes. I've been apart of this discussion before, in my Women's Studies class, at university. Surprisingly it was my professor, a woman and a full on Feminist, who noted the similarity throughout the centuries by providing detailed examples, analysis, letters, notes, and so forth. Even during the whole Feminist movement this comparison and acknowledgement, by some women, has been discussed. Of course there will be those who fiercely disagree with my comments and that’s okay. Is there a direct correlation between the two? Depends on the context.

Did I mean to cause an uproar? No. Was it my intent to anger married women? No. However, I do apologize to the married women on TRF's for the offense, and for that I am sorry.

So there you go.;)

In Prince Philip's case, it could be argued that his wife isn't the one being paid. He was, as far as royalty was concerned, fairly penniless when he married one of the richest heiresses in Europe. He isn't paying her for anything, nor has he ever done.
True, then again not all prostitutes are female! :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom