The Wit and Humour of Prince Philip

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isn't it....I bet those people were pretty confused;) I think he is just one of many people who thinks before he says things, which we all do sometimes, because I do think he is a funny man, but some of his comments could, and have, offend people. I remember in the Queens Castle documentry when they were talking about Windsor park and he was talking about people who protest and he kept referring to them as 'the tree huggers'
I heard a similar story ysbel about Audrey Hepburn, she was in an elevator or all places and there were two old women saying nasty things about her in Dutch...obviously not realising she was Dutch!

selrahc4 said:
"I declare this thing open...whatever it is."

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh in Vancouver, 1969, when he forgot the name of a new annexe to city hall. Supposedly it has been known as "East Thing" ever since.

Hee. I actually think HRH is quite witty and really funny a lot of the time. The one about the Soviets having murdered half his family was brilliant as well--and true!

I call my husband "turnip" sometimes.

Aussie Princess said:
Isn't it....I bet those people were pretty confused;) I think he is just one of many people who thinks before he says things, which we all do sometimes, because I do think he is a funny man, but some of his comments could, and have, offend people. I remember in the Queens Castle documentry when they were talking about Windsor park and he was talking about people who protest and he kept referring to them as 'the tree huggers'
I heard a similar story ysbel about Audrey Hepburn, she was in an elevator or all places and there were two old women saying nasty things about her in Dutch...obviously not realising she was Dutch!

I can't believe anyone would say anything nasty about Audrey Hepburn. :eek: At least the Swedish sailors had some excuse, Greta Garbo in her sixties looked nothing like the star of the cinema decades ago but Audrey Hepburn always looked just like herself. I can't believe the Dutch didn't know she was Dutch! Did she say anything?

Last edited:
pollyemma said:
Ok this one is pretty cool. I love historical rivalries. and they did murder half his family
Sad, rather than cool. If you recall, they were at the time his wife's cousin's too. The British royals did NOTHING to save the Russian Imperial family.

I Do love the fact that he slammed em :) thought it was awsome!!!!! Go Philip!!!!!!!!!!

The British royals did NOTHING to save the Russian Imperial family

What could they have done? Very little without putting themselves in a risky position.

dakodas said:
Sad, rather than cool. If you recall, they were at the time his wife's cousin's too. The British royals did NOTHING to save the Russian Imperial family.

Hardly Queen Elizabeth or Prince Philips fault. George and Mary did not want an outcry from their everloving public and suffered personally for it.

BeatrixFan said:
What could they have done? Very little without putting themselves in a risky position.
Yes, that is what people do. Put themselves at risk to save children from being slaughtered. We will never know what could have been done along diplomatic or other channels. It was simply NEVER done.

All of Europe was in the middle of a World War. British soldiers were dying at an appalling rate each day. Many countries resources were severely stretched and they were barely trying to survive.

We also have to remember that the removal of the Czar was initially quite peaceful. No one predicted, not even Nicholas' closest family members who survived, that the whole Imperial family would be obliterated. The Mensheviks who initially took power preferred to work with Nicholas albeit as a marginal figure. It was the Bolsheviks, a rival party who overthrew the Mensheviks, who really started the wholesale destruction, not only of the Imperial family but several less privileged Russians.

Yes, that is what people do. Put themselves at risk to save children from being slaughtered. We will never know what could have been done along diplomatic or other channels. It was simply NEVER done

Ysbel is right. And whilst I find the Romanov murders to be totally brutal, cruel and inhuman, there were rallies and riots here in Britain praising the action of the Bolsheviks. The Prime Minister sent a message of congratulations to Lenin. We could have lost our Monarchy - and George and Mary knew that if the Monarchy crumbled, it was the end of the society they knew. It's very unfair to blame them for the Romanov deaths.

I think the assassination of the Russian royal family was partly what made the British government so keen to rescue Prince Philip's father after he'd been made a scapegoat by the new Greek government. At least that was successful.

If only they had acted in the same manner with the Tsar I Agree the Murder was very very Senseless :( But I Also agree that the King and Queen were put in an impossible situation

BeatrixFan said:
Ysbel is right. And whilst I find the Romanov murders to be totally brutal, cruel and inhuman, there were rallies and riots here in Britain praising the action of the Bolsheviks. The Prime Minister sent a message of congratulations to Lenin. We could have lost our Monarchy - and George and Mary knew that if the Monarchy crumbled, it was the end of the society they knew. It's very unfair to blame them for the Romanov deaths.
Yes, unfair. I did NOT blame them for the deaths. I said they did absolutely not one thing to help their cousins. Prince Phillip blamed the Russians alive today for killing his family. That is NOT fair either. And them some of you considered it "humor"!!!

Hmmm. I'm going to back away from this one because we're on crossed wires, but I will say that Prince Philip is actually saying publicly what people are saying in private.

dakodas said:
Yes, unfair. I did NOT blame them for the deaths. I said they did absolutely not one thing to help their cousins. Prince Phillip blamed the Russians alive today for killing his family. That is NOT fair either. And them some of you considered it "humor"!!!

Well Philip probably said it because he wasn't born a member of the British Royal Family, he was born a Prince of Greece and Denmark. Although the Greeks would have been hard put to save Nicholas themselves.

One of my favorite sayings by a member of the BRF is from the late Queen Mum. She met an old Boer veteran who told her bitterly, "I can never forgive what the English did to my people." The Queen replied: "Oh, I do so understand. We in Scotland often feel just the same."

dakodas said:

It's called gallows humour, if in doubt make a joke about it. I do find it funny and sadly true.:D

BeatrixFan said:
Racist? They aren't racist comments - they are funny comments and they are comments that actually could have been said by anybody. I'm afraid most British people aren't as politically correct as Europe would have us be.

I live in Canada and we prize ourselves on being respectful of different races and cultures, and I'm quite hesitant about the husband of our monarch going around making jokes about "slitty-eyed" Chinese people. In fact, I find it disgusting.

I live in Canada and we prize ourselves on being respectful of different races and cultures, and I'm quite hesitant about the husband of our monarch going around making jokes about "slitty-eyed" Chinese people. In fact, I find it disgusting

Well here we aren't scared to speak our mind. We live in a democracy where every one is free to say what they like and everyone is free to agree or disagree with it. The Prince can say whatever he likes - and I for one am glad he does. He's the only public figure brave enough to say publicly what we all think privately.

So what everyone thinks privately is that Chinese people are "slitty-eyed"? Hmmm.

Canada is a democracy too, but respect for other races is important, and as the consort of our monarch, I would hope that Prince Philip values respect for other races too.

So what everyone thinks privately is that Chinese people are "slitty-eyed"? Hmmm.

Oh please. How many people have called the chinese yellow? And yes, I've often heard people from all walks of life call them 'slitty-eyed'. You can try and convince yourself that the world is full of people hand in hand singing in perfect harmony but it aint. Why should he respect other races? Why should he be told what to think and what to say?

When he's performing his public duties as the consort to the Queen, who's part of the government, he has a responsibility to support her. He isn't being supportive of the head of state, on an official visit to another country, by publicly insulting the citizens of that country.

Of course he's entitled to his own opinions, and he's entitled to express them in private to his heart's content, as are the rest of us. In public, he isn't. We may believe all sorts of un-PC things about politics, religion, race, sex, or whatever, but if we come out with them in public we could be in trouble because of hate-speech legislation. He doesn't have any more right than the rest of us to ignore that. There's any amount of difference between what we can say in private and what we can say when we're at work.

We may believe all sorts of un-PC things about politics, religion, race, sex, or whatever, but if we come out with them in public we could be in trouble because of hate-speech legislation.

Don't get me started on that! LOL.

Elspeth said:
When he's performing his public duties as the consort to the Queen, who's part of the government, he has a responsibility to support her. He isn't being supportive of the head of state, on an official visit to another country, by publicly insulting the citizens of that country.

Of course he's entitled to his own opinions, and he's entitled to express them in private to his heart's content, as are the rest of us. In public, he isn't. We may believe all sorts of un-PC things about politics, religion, race, sex, or whatever, but if we come out with them in public we could be in trouble because of hate-speech legislation. He doesn't have any more right than the rest of us to ignore that. There's any amount of difference between what we can say in private and what we can say when we're at work.

Exactly. Thank you for making clear the problem with what Prince Philip said. I've referred to Prince Philip now twice as consort to the Queen. As the consort of the monarch on a state visit, he isn't expressing his opinion in private but as a part of the government, and my concern lies in the fact that as a Canadian citizen, the consort to our Queen was being blatantly racist and insulting to citizens of a counry on an official visit and thus was reflecting poorly on the UK, Australia, Canada, the rest of the Commonwealth, etc.

As for BeatrixFan's comment regarding the fact that you've heard Chinese people being referred to as yellow and that many people call them "slitty-eyed", I don't understand why the mere fact that there are people who choose to make these comments, makes it OK. But I guess being brought up in a country that teaches people to be respectful of other races and not ridicule the differences of others, and prides itself on its multicultural policy puts me in the minority here on this board, where "why should he respect other races?" is an actual question.

Last edited:
As for BeatrixFan's comment regarding the fact that you've heard Chinese people being referred to as yellow and that many people call them "slitty-eyed", I don't understand why the mere fact that there are people who choose to make these comments, makes it OK.

Because it's what people think. It's the impression we get and the connotation from their race. I'm not saying it's OK, I'm saying that if people want to say that then they have a perfect right to do so and IMO, Prince Philip is no different.

"why should he respect other races?" is an actual question

Well why should he? Why should any of us?

BeatrixFan said:
Because it's what people think. It's the impression we get and the connotation from their race. I'm not saying it's OK, I'm saying that if people want to say that then they have a perfect right to do so and IMO, Prince Philip is no different.

Well why should he? Why should any of us?

Because respect is a basic human principle. Lack of respect is what caused a young man to walk into a gay bar and hack and shoot people (in the States). Lack of respect always leads down the wrong road (and in many cases, it leads to hate and violence). Although we may not agree with the various aspects of the culture or lifestyle of others, we should still respect them. I know that some people make jokes about other cultures; many times it is all in fun and the person means no harm. We have to remember that some people do mean harm. There is a difference between asking legitimate questions about the actions of various social groups and disrespecting them. I'll go back to the young man and the gay bar. No one has to approve of gay/lesbian marriage, civil unions, or the state of being gay/lesbian. However, we should still respect everyone for the human being they are. That should also go for Prince Philip.

I don't believe it is a basic human principle. Am I to automatically give my respect to suicide bombers because they are of a different race? I'm gay myself and I don't expect anyone to respect, agree or disagree with my lifestyle. Why should anyone respect me because they're told to? If they disagree with what I do, why should they respect me? Prince Philip shouldn't have to respect anyone who hasn't earned his respect. Look at the comments he made about the Russians - "The bastards murdered half of my family". Should he respect them?

politikgirl said:
regarding the fact that you've heard Chinese people being referred to as yellow and that many people call them "slitty-eyed", I don't understand why the mere fact that there are people who choose to make these comments, makes it OK. But I guess being brought up in a country that teaches people to be respectful of other races and not ridicule the differences of others,

The fact that you are commenting on another countrys humour and those differences, possibly means that the 'respect for other races' got thrown out of the window. I read from Canada's 50% reduction in the amount of immigrants/asylum seekers it takes, that their pride in a multicultural policy had come to an end.

1000's of Chinese girls have operations every year to reduce the 'slitty eye' look, many of them never having heard Prince Philips joke.

BeatrixFan said:
I don't believe it is a basic human principle. Am I to automatically give my respect to suicide bombers because they are of a different race? I'm gay myself and I don't expect anyone to respect, agree or disagree with my lifestyle. Why should anyone respect me because they're told to? If they disagree with what I do, why should they respect me? Prince Philip shouldn't have to respect anyone who hasn't earned his respect.

I think there are different kinds of "respect":

The one, "respect" in the sense of regarding something as very positive and even admiring it, the ther one in the sense of "live and let live".
I suppose you expect people to show you the second kind of respect. So I think, yes, this should apply to Philip too.

I don't expect anyone to show me any kind of respect. I feel that's the problem with today's world - everyone wants respect automatically, whereas it should be earned. And has the world really earned Philip's respect after the horrid things that have been said about him? After the horrors that were committed on his family? I don't think so.

Back
Top Bottom