The Wit and Humour of Prince Philip

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Duke shows no signs of slowing down lol

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
Prince Philip to a man with a beard in Malta: . "It isn't difficult,
you know, to shave in the morning!"

An unshaven Paul Tillbrook on his Maltese encounter with P Philip: "It was hilarious. He was on cracking form. He is amazing for his age."

P Philip -- husband of the Supreme Gov of C of E to a Catholic bishop: "I'll let you
into a little secret. We are all Christians, you know."

Prince Philip on Malta and tomato ketchup: "If they didn't export it they would
be up to here in the stuff," he joked, pointing to his chest
:lol: Love all the jokes- except didn't understand the one about the ketchup , but love his sense of humor!

I am putting this here because, according to one definition of "wit", it seems to be on-topic. I am not suggesting it is at all humorous.

I happened upon this article while browsing through "The Age" Archives, and thought some might find it interesting.

[FONT=&quot]"“THE AGE”, Wednesday, January 19, 1977; Page 10 (World News)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]UK has dry rot, says Philip[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]LONDON. January 18 – Prince Philip today called on Britain not to concentrate so much on the underprivileged and unfortunate – and to give more help to the enterprising instead. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]And he says: “In a great effort to make life easier for people we have really, in many cases, removed the one thing that makes it interesting, which is a challenge and an opportunity, a risk both of loss and gain.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In an interview on the state of the nation in today’s issue of the Director, he compares Britain’s plight to the spread of dry rot in a building. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“You don’t know when it starts, you don’t know when the crisis is, but gradually the place becomes uninhabitable.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He says people were beginning to realise that we should “not concentrate quite so heavily on the unsuccessful and the unfortunate and the underprivileged but try to create a situation where the enterprising can make their contribution, which will also help the underprivileged.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“We have forgotten one end of the story. Perhaps we have become over-concerned with failure.”"[/FONT]

He says people were beginning to realise that we should “not concentrate quite so heavily on the unsuccessful and the unfortunate and the underprivileged but try to create a situation where the enterprising can make their contribution, which will also help the underprivileged.”

I agree with Prince Philip; it's like giving those who need it a tractor so they can grow their own food, instead of just supplying them food... seems a much better solution to me (except in emergencies, of course).

:previous: Political Correctness aside, there is a lot to be said for the old adage: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

:previous: Political Correctness aside, there is a lot to be said for the old adage: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

True!He's right again!Old Phil knows what he talks about.In your face lines and have you in stitches humour.
The man is a monument!!

As long as he lives near the water ! ; -)

Several disruptive/argumentative posts have been deleted. This thread is about Wit and Humour not speeches made by the Duke of Edinburgh almost 40 years ago.

:lol:

Prince Philip to pupils in Cardiff: "you must have really good
brains to speak Welsh".

Whatever one may think of him the DoE is one of the last real exponents of how silly (and dangerous!) political correctness is.

I find most of his remarks rather amusing.

The man is a walking history book.

LaRae

I like Prince Philip's humor and jokes, even if it could be insulting. He is a strong man, a rare breed in today's society.

He does have a very one of a kind humour. Very dry, rather dark. But he has said stuff that is borderline offensive. Cannot laugh about a comment about ''slitty eyes''.

Philip is Philip. Totally unique unto himself. He's got a quick wit about him and just a way of endearing himself to people.

Age hasn't dimmed his appreciation of a good looking woman either. One of my favorite Philipcisms is on seeing a young lady dressed in a red dress with a zipper on the front, he stated "I'd probably get arrested if I unzipped that".

I love Philip's wit. He is a man comfortable with himself and doesn't bow to political correctness. When asked a question he will answer and not lie. One of the last true gentlemen of a different era. If he offends some people, shame. Maybe those same people offend him [or even all from my generation] He is not going to change at 96 because some have tried to change how we should think. Not a fu-foo politician. I absolutely love him for it.

Ha, yes, just read it on twitter! I think he took advantage of the possible misuderstanding: maybe the other person meant "stepping down"?

Last edited:
Philip said to the Royal Marines today "you should be locked up". Ah, the last engagement wouldn't be complete without a classic gaffe!

I have found some of his gaffes amusing in the past, but some of them haven't been jokes but just borderline racist and sexist remarks. However; I admire his sense of duty. I shall miss him on engagements, but he deserves a rest!

I tend to give people born in a certain decade and place a pass for some of their "old fashioned" ideas. Is Phillip racist? Probably, was the QM racist? Probably. I personally cant hold it against them.

Ha, yes, just read it on twitter! I think he took advantage of the possible misuderstanding: maybe the other person meant "stepping down"?

'Standing Down' or 'Stand Down' is military terminology, very quick reply from the Duke

Is there a thread on the Forums about what Philip has been doing in retirement? I miss seeing him.

:britflag: Adding one for his birthday. :britflag:

I just finished reading A.N. Wilson's biography of Prince Albert. In the notes at the back, he said the Queen was very gracious and helpful and let it be known that a book about Albert was needed.

Then he says he ran into the Duke of Edinburgh while he was in the middle of writing.

"When he heard, he expressed the view, with characteristic forcefulness, that the world did not need 'yet another' book about Prince Albert." Wilson ventured that there had been hardly anything recently written about Albert. The DoE wandered off to speak to someone else, but then returned.

"There is one good aspect," he said. "Prince Albert had a very short life, so you can write a very short book."

(Albert's book was not short.) Philip's book will be long. :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom