The Wit and Humour of Prince Philip

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

This was really entertaining to read. I love that he is just being himself, and doesn't really care what others have to say.

Prince Philip is a legend; I'm so glad he didn't allow PC to change him and just speaks his mind.
And let's face it - he isn't wrong about that dress, is he? :lol:

I'm in agreement here :D. Sometimes calling a spade a spade is acceptable (and in this case, it could have been used as an icebreaker, rather than as something to get offended about).

I loved the one recently- he was talking to a disabled person in an electric wheelchair, and said " How many people have you run over today?":lol:

I get that one all the time myself- great icebreaker!:D

I loved that particular story. A great way to make someone feel at ease in a nerve-wrecking situation.

I think I speak for most Brits when I say we'd be pretty disappointed if Philip didn't make the odd slightly inappropriate joke from time to time. It's something we'll miss about him when he's gone.

I'm not a Brit, but I do share your sentiment.

This was really entertaining to read. I love that he is just being himself, and doesn't really care what others have to say.

I'm in agreement here :D. Sometimes calling a spade a spade is acceptable (and in this case, it could have been used as an icebreaker, rather than as something to get offended about).

I loved that particular story. A great way to make someone feel at ease in a nerve-wrecking situation.

I'm not a Brit, but I do share your sentiment.

And likely more of tongue in cheek remarks to come as the Good Man was dismissed from hospital this morning!:)

When asked by reporters as he was leaving the hospital today, if he felt better:
"I would not be going home from the hospital if I didn't!"
That's Phillip folks- back telling us like it is and better than ever!:lol::D

I love Prince Phillip and his humour. He says it how he sees it and I really don't think he means to be cruel. He is like my dad! Same type of sense of humour very dry.

He's the original Navy sea dog - no derogatory meaning intended - and so he's crusty, acerbic, cuts to the chase and speaks his mind. I knew as soon as I read his comment exiting the hospital that it would end up here!

Last edited:
When asked by reporters as he was leaving the hospital today, if he felt better:
"I would not be going home from the hospital if I didn't!"
That's Phillip folks- back telling us like it is and better than ever!:lol::D

Oh, typical Philip :D :ROFLMAO:. Short, sweet and to the point :lol:.

:previous:
So do I. Although it has to be said Richard Nixon came across as someone with great sense of humour as well.

It's a bit of a mixed bag, certainly including a fair amount of, well, rude bigotry, but some seem reasonable, not gaffes at all e.g.

On being introduced to the chairman of Britain's Channel 4, HRH said, "So YOU'RE responsible for the kind of crap channel 4 produces."

Fair comment.

On Sarah Ferguson he said, "Her behavior was a bit odd. I don't see her because I do not see much point."

Fair comment.

In 1967, he was asked to go to Russia to improve diplomatic relations with Britain and the USSR. He said, "Are you bloody mad? The bastards murdered half my family."

True enough.
I wonder how he feels about the man who murdered another chunk of his family (Thomas McMahon) getting out of gaol as part of a political deal.

He also said, "The problem with London is the tourists. They cause the congestion. If we could just stop tourism we could stop the congestion.."

This one suggests he doesn't quite know what side his bread is buttered on.

Another one (not shown on that list) that is sometimes listed as a gaffe: someone asked him whether he'd been to the Scilly Isles and he answered, "Yes, my son owns them."

Another one (not shown on that list) that is sometimes listed as a gaffe: someone asked him whether he'd been to the Scilly Isles and he answered, "Yes, my son owns them."

This one is similar to his comment to one of the courtiers shortly after The Queen's accession and they went down to Windsor. This courtier was showing him around and said something along the lines of 'you will like living at Windsor Sir'.

The reply - 'Yes I will - my mother was born here.' - as was his grandmother of course.

This one suggests he doesn't quite know what side his bread is buttered on.
I think the comment about tourism was more tongue 'n' cheek than anything else. He's probably more than aware what side his bread is buttered on :D. As someone who lives in a big city that serves as a tourist attraction, I can definitely identify with his sentiments; just go to Times Square area at any time of the day, and you'll see what he's talking about (though it's much worse during rush hour).

Last edited:
My wife and I were recently in London. We were among the millions of tourists who shuffled through the Duke of Edinburgh's city home this summer. Thoroughly enjoyed the Buckingham Palace tour, including the state rooms, Royal Mews and gardens. We were lucky to have caught the tour: her Majesty came down to London the following day (early than usual because of the Olympics), and they only run those state room tours during her absence. It was also just about the last glorious day before the drizzle set in.

One thing that struck us was that the start were extremely friendly and helpful, apparently happy as Larry to be working there. One cashier told us the secret was that they were given exquisite lunches.

But I digress...

One more from the DoE:

"I am nothing but a bloody amoeba. I am the only man in the country not allowed to give his name to his own children."

(with regard to his children taking the name Windsor)

Political correctness and cultural sensitivity are not bad concepts. However, they are severely eroded by certain political figures in stable well-developed European monarchies and republics.

"Political correctness" is a joke. People should be able to have their own beliefs and the freedom to express them. Leave the diplomacy and political correctness to diplomats.

Chloe- said:
"Political correctness" is a joke. People should be able to have their own beliefs and the freedom to express them. Leave the diplomacy and political correctness to diplomats.

People can have their own beliefs, but if they offend others or humour is not understood then beliefs or opinions should in certain circumstance should be kept to themselves.

People can have their own beliefs, but if they offend others or humour is not understood then beliefs or opinions should in certain circumstance should be kept to themselves.

It wouldn't be a problem at all if people didn't wear their feelings on their sleeve. Making people live in a politically correct society only weakens them. It behooves me to live my life as though I'm walking on eggshells.

Chloe- said:
It wouldn't be a problem at all if people didn't wear their feelings on their sleeve. Making people live in a politically correct society only weakens them. It behooves me to live my life as though I'm walking on eggshells.

You sound like an army general. There is nothing wrong with wearing your feelings on your sleeve. We aren't robots after all. But there is a time and a place for everything.

You don't have to walk on eggshells. Just treat strangers with respect, don't name-call and don't make ethnic/religious/racial/gender assumptions. Is that really so hard?

AdmirerUS said:
You don't have to walk on eggshells. Just treat strangers with respect, don't name-call and don't make ethnic/religious/racial/gender assumptions. Is that really so hard?

Exactly. I don't understand why some people think an expectation that they show basic courtesy is a drag on their freedom.

For the most part I agree that the tender feelings of many people are so "precious" that it is almost impossible not to do or say something to raise their ire.

You sound like an army general. There is nothing wrong with wearing your feelings on your sleeve. We aren't robots after all. But there is a time and a place for everything.
Now that is just rude. You are asking for consideration but name calling someone else for expressing their beliefs. The world is not entirely composed of "Army Generals" and "Robots" . . . there is, after all, the other 99.?% of the world's population.

Actually yes, it is hard because name-calling is subjective as are ethnic/religious/racial and gender assumptions.

Exactly. I don't understand why some people think an expectation that they show basic courtesy is a drag on their freedom.
Now this is a thread devoted to the Wit and Humour of Prince Philip and it seems to me that any time anyone laughs or agrees with his witticisms they are accused of being at best discourteous and at worst insensitive. As is Prince Philip!

I do not believe that Prince Philip is either and I do believe that there seems to be an incredibly sad lack of Wit or Humour left on this thread.

sarahedwards2 said:
Philip: "If it doesn't fart or eat hay, [Princess Anne] is not interested."

That's our Anne! :)

I can just hear her now: "Thanks, Dad!"

Another gem from Prince Philip:
A legend! :D

Ah I love this one!! 91 years old and still quick as a flash with a one liner. It would take me much much longer to even think of something like that. It also makes the exchange between two virtual strangers so much more personal.

After reading the article about the Queen and the motorhome, it dawned on me that both her and Philip would be two people that would love something like that. Picture it.. Balmoral... frequently seen is the RV (Royal Victoria) leaving the castle for another weekend excursion in the wilds of Scotland. Destination unknown.

Last edited:
Osipi said:
Ah I love this one!! 91 years old and still quick as a flash with a one liner. It would take me much much longer to even think of something like that. It also makes the exchange between two virtual strangers so much more personal.

After reading the article about the Queen and the motorhome, it dawned on me that both her and Philip would be two people that would love something like that. Picture it.. Balmoral... frequently seen is the RV (Royal Victoria) leaving the castle for another weekend excursion in the wilds of Scotland. Destination unknown.

It should be called S*** Prince Philip Says!

One more from the DoE:

"I am nothing but a bloody amoeba. I am the only man in the country not allowed to give his name to his own children."

(with regard to his children taking the name Windsor)

Poor guy! I think he was thrilled when Lady Louise came along and finally someone would use Mountbatten in public. Anne signed Mountbatten-Windsor on her marriage certificate, but of course she does not use a surname so Philip was thrilled when Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor came along.

Philip's sense of humour is wonderful and I think his children have all inherited that trait. He may be offensive at times, but I genuinely don't think he means to be.

Back
Top Bottom