The Wit and Humour of Prince Philip

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Prince Philip's agile wit. Here's another example. LINK
In 1984, John Bulkeley was in San Diego reminiscing with an old British friend, Phillip Mountbatten, whose acquaintance he had made during the invasion of Normandy. In the 1940's, they were both serving as lieutenants in their respective navies, and, as junior officers, they had drunk a few pints of ale together. Forty years later John Bulkeley had become Admiral Bulkeley, and his friend had become Prince Phillip.

After the war, Phillip Mountbatten married Princess Elizabeth, the oldest daughter of King George VI, and, as he had only daughters, she would one day inherit the throne. Upon King George 's death in 1952, Princess Elizabeth became the Queen of England, and because of his wife's position, Phillip was promoted to the rank of a five-star admiral.

On that day in San Diego, Admiral Bulkeley turned to his old friend and quipped "Say, Prince, in World War II you and I were both navy lieutenants, we both married English women, and now you're a five-star admiral and the best I could do was two stars. Where did I go wrong?"

Prince Philip grinned and fired back: "You married the wrong English woman!"

Why should Prince Philip be politically correct? Why should any of us? I'm certainly not and bally well proud of it.

I am so SICK of political correctness over here on this side of the pond. If anyone calls anything by its correct name they are crucified if it offends anyone. I am not for being rude or ugly but I should be able to refer to someone as disabled as an adjective without having to be vilified for it. If I were to ask if there was access for a disabled person while checking out a site for a visit I would often be corrected that this person is "differently-abled."

Please! I will use a correct word that is in common usage in the dictionary without censorship (thank you very much). God forbid if anyone here tried to use the word "spastic" to describe someone with CP. I wouldn't use a term that is deliberately offensive or insult someone but I shouldn't be afraid to ever open my mouth because you may not agree with me? Sorry, isn't that why we attempted to come up with "free speech" in the first place?

Of course, having grown up with grandfathers who were about 5 years older that Prince Phillip I'm used to hearing these comments over the years. There are some words they used on a regular basis that I wouldn't repeat in public or private (the n-word is one) but they were still funny and I would defend their right to say what they thought even if I didn't agree with them.

That was very funny. I like the silly sausage one. I will have to use it one day. I know people use call others doughnuts to mean dumb but I never heard of silly sausage.

Wing-nut is one of my favorites but I'll have to try the silly sausage on my niece. Silly goose is one I use with her now.

"Non-European non-sit-down restaurant unit specializing in exotic flavours".
:ROFLMAO::clap::cheers::notworthy:

oh, that just made my horrible day at work so much better!!!
kudos

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the Duke of Edinburgh's humor is offensive to some people and I understand why, but I have always found him hilariously funny...I find myself laughing at some comments he makes that I probably SHOULDN'T be laughing at.

I can't think of any other type of Royal male with that type of humor!

Because usually racism and racial slurring is born in large measure from ignorance.

Usually, yes, but I don't think that is the case here.

Oh dear, the British sense of humour..... I laugh a lot at what Prince Philip says. He is very funny. I agree that it is a British thing but then most of these sayings were during what he thought was a private conversation. Sometimes he goes too far though I admit. The Dunblane remark really galls me, but the rest I find quite amusing.

(I knew I should have left my other comment in my previous post...:argh:)

Look, I'm not going to over-analyze his comments because Philp's statement is upfront; thus there is no room for debate, and in the end what he says is true. Ask any man (though prudes may have a fit), and they'll give it to you straight. There is really no difference: One is paid upfront. The other paid in a different manner. People will deny it, but come one... think about it. Think like a man and you'll see the truth to his comment.

:)
Ah, you are right again -- but I believe the actual old quote was "A wife that doesn't work is the same as a prostitute. They get their bills paid by doing the same thing."

This isn't an humourous piece on Prince Philip, but Goodness knows it sure sounds like something he would have said:

Philip told PM aides to 'Eff orf | The Sun |News|Royals
ANGRY Prince Philip told Government officials to “f*** off” over their planning for Princess Diana’s funeral, according to a new book.

Let's get it straight; Prince Philip basically defended his grandsons who the Labour wanted to use as some sort of a poster boys at their own mother's funeral... Well done, Sir!

‘F*** off. We are talking about two boys who have lost their mother’.”

The claim is made by Sky
I would say the same thing, honestly. I'm afraid both the Labour ministers and the public, in their attempt to satisfy their grief, had forgotten that the boys had way more reasons to grieve and might have liked to avoid all that circus and mourn their mother in a little more private way.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Prince Philip's remarks. Sometimes language like that really gets the point across!:)

I think that Tony Blair used Diana's death for political reasons, and Earl Spencer used his eulogy as his private bully pulpit. The Royal Family, on the other hand, while doing what a typical family would do, came out looking cold and unfeeling. The irony is unbelievable!:bang:

Let's get it straight; Prince Philip basically defended his grandsons who the Labour wanted to use as some sort of a poster boys at their own mother's funeral... Well done, Sir!

I would say the same thing, honestly. I'm afraid both the Labour ministers and the public, in their attempt to satisfy their grief, had forgotten that the boys had way more reasons to grieve and might have liked to avoid all that circus and mourn their mother in a little more private way.

No doubt someone will say he shouldn't have said that but he was so right.

He, and the rest of the royal family were so right that week, in my opinion, to put the needs of the boys first. So much for an unfeeling family - they took all that criticism of ignoring the public to put the grieving sons first and I would like to congratulate Philip on standing up to the government for the sake of his grandsons - his flesh and blood.

I would like to congratulate Philip on standing up to the government for the sake of his grandsons - his flesh and blood.

You are so right! It's so ironic this has came about by someone close to Tony Blair's staff. I'm sure at that time, Adam Boulton, along with his wife and his colleagues, were too busy baying the royals. If he is a truly upstanding man, he should have disclosed the incident as it happend to give a balanced account of why the royals stayed away in Balmoral. As is now, even writing about it, he is exploiting that sad time for his personal gain. Not much difference to the cynical political capital Tony Blair made.

I wonder if it will happen to the younger people here on this forum. A word you have used from childhood, a perfectly innocent word with a perfectly innocent meaning is "stolen" by some group and now we can´t use it anymore, in the way we used to, without getting sniggers. I suppose it happened to generations before us. I met an Austrian aristocrat who told me her father studied English from Shakespearian books and in a perfectly modern sentence will use things like "Odds Bodkins" and other such terms. It can make life very tricky especially with people nowadays who seemingly analyse every word you use to make sure you are being pc..... As far as I am concerned I am being politically correct, I am not using these words or terms as being derogatory, the person who hears them as this is the one IMO being politically incorrect.
There are terms that I object too. Why does a modern female film star state she is an actor, there is a perfectly correct word to use.
I find Prince Philip, sometimes over the top, but quite often his use of words is the result of his education and time in the navy - and a wry sense of humour. I believe that unlike her ancestress Queen Victoria the Queen is quite amused.

Prince Philip's 'Gaffes'

Whilst on a tour of a factory in northern England, Prince Philip pointed out a fuse box that looked quite old. He said "It looks like it was made by an Indian"

When talking to some British students in China, he joked with them "you shouldn't stay here too long, or you'll turn slitty-eyed"

During the 1981 recession he said, "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they're complaining they're unemployed."

On being introduced to the chairman of Britain's Channel 4, HRH said, "So YOU'RE responsible for the kind of crap channel 4 produces."

On Sarah Ferguson he said, "Her behavior was a bit odd. I don't see her because I do not see much point."

In 1967, he was asked to go to Russia to improve diplomatic relations with Britain and the USSR. He said, "Are you bloody mad? The bastards murdered half my family."

Whilst speaking to the World Wildlife Fund he said, "If it has four legs and it's not a chair, if it has two wings and it flies but it's not an airplane, and if it swims and it's not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it."

In Canada, someone asked him why he had bothered to come, HRH said "We don't come here for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves."

He then said, "British women can't cook"

He asked Sir Tom Jones, "What do you gargle with - pebbles" after the Royal Variety Performance.

In Budapest in 1993, he said to a Briton, "You can't have been here that long - you haven't got a pot belly."

In Scotland in 1995 at a Driving School he said, "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?"

When it was suggested all guns were banned after the Dunblane shooting he said, "If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?"

At a reception in 1998, a student told Prince Philip that he had been trekking in Papua New Guinea. The Prince replied, "You managed not to get eaten, then?"

In Australia in 2002, he said to an Aboriginee, "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

On the Jubilee tour in 2002 he said, "If you travel as much as we do you appreciate how much more comfortable aircraft have become. Unless you travel in something called economy class, which sounds ghastly.."

He also said, "The problem with London is the tourists. They cause the congestion. If we could just stop tourism we could stop the congestion.."

-------------------------------------

Now, I find all of the above amusing or actually intelligent. I think that the British find him amusing. Our humour is quite select and we find him funny. But foreigners don't and it's usually the foreigners who make the biggest deal out of what he says. His comments aren't racist, sexist or cruel - they are funny and I think that's how he intends them to be taken.

Yes, he's a funny old geezer,he should have been an aussie

beatrixfan said:
:hornets:Now, I find all of the above amusing or actually intelligent. I think that the British find him amusing. Our humour is quite select and we find him funny. But foreigners don't and it's usually the foreigners who make the biggest deal out of what he says. His comments aren't racist, sexist or cruel - they are funny and I think that's how he intends them to be taken.
Yes, he's a funny old geezer,he should have been an aussie
Or better yet, a Kiwi! :D

Either way, I think he is one of Britain's greatest living treasures. :ROFLMAO:

Already the Duke's 88th birthday is approaching quickly, thankfully there is no impact on his wit.

The 87-year-old prince is well known for undiplomatic off-hand remarks, which have included:
- "Still throwing spears?" (a question to an Australian Aborigine during a 2002 visit)
- "You managed not to get eaten, then?" (to a student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea, 1998).
- "Aren't most of you descended from pirates?" (asking a Cayman Islander about his heritage, 1994)
- "If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed." (to a group of British students on a state visit to China, 1986.)

The gaffe that was denied - calling "Xfactor" Simon Cowell a "sponger"
AFP: Palace denies Prince Philip 'sponger' gaffe

The latest gaffe on President Obama's jet lag.
Philip's Cameron Gaffe | queen | barack_obama | jon_craig | Boulton & Co. | Sky News Blogs

In the small talk when they first met, the Queen and the Prince were sympathising with the President and his wife about their gruelling schedule since arriving late on Tuesday evening. "The time lag," said the Queen, ever the diplomat.
"You're just trying to stay awake!" said Philip, ever the foot-in-mouth blunderer.
Then the President told the Royals: "I had breakfast with the Prime Minister, I had meetings with the Chinese, the Russians, David Cameron...
"And I'm proud to say I did not nod off in one of the meetings."
A guffawing Prince Philip then blurted out: "Can you tell the difference between them?"

In the small talk when they first met, the Queen and the Prince were sympathising with the President and his wife about their gruelling schedule since arriving late on Tuesday evening. "The time lag," said the Queen, ever the diplomat.
"You're just trying to stay awake!" said Philip, ever the foot-in-mouth blunderer.
Then the President told the Royals: "I had breakfast with the Prime Minister, I had meetings with the Chinese, the Russians, David Cameron...
"And I'm proud to say I did not nod off in one of the meetings."
A guffawing Prince Philip then blurted out: "Can you tell the difference between them?"

Oddly - I didn't take that as offensive. I was thinking that the Duke was making reference to the fact that Obama is the "new kid on the block" and it's hard to remember who is who on first meeting (although I'm sure he was thoroughly drilled!)

With regard to the Queen and the First Lady's mild embrace, can I just say I love the Queen? A completely wonderful lady in all sense of the word. I don't think it was as much of a gaffe as true sensitivity; had the Queen shied away from the embrace, can you imagine the abuse she'd have taken? It would have turned into a faux "racial" incident quicker than boiled asparagus.

To be quite honest, Prince Philip has never really showed up on my radar so I was absolutely mesmerized watching him with the Obamas. That mischievous smile, the eccentric comments. He seems so incredibly young at heart, like a schoolboy having fun with houseguests. I can only imagine the hilarious thoughts occupying his head. I thought he had a few cocktails but after reading about some of his so-called "gaffes" I am hooked. He is incorrigible. :flowers:

Yes, I completely agree. Although to compare the current Prime Minister with the heads of totalitarian states is skating along a thin "above politics" line. Still, though, very funny.:flowers:

To be quite honest, Prince Philip has never really showed up on my radar so I was absolutely mesmerized watching him with the Obamas. That mischievous smile, the eccentric comments. He seems so incredibly young at heart, like a schoolboy having fun with houseguests. I can only imagine the hilarious thoughts occupying his head. I thought he had a few cocktails but after reading about some of his so-called "gaffes" I am hooked. He is incorrigible. :flowers:

Someone who takes but never puts back. Usually used to denote someone who takes money without being seen to have earned it.

Someone who takes but never puts back. Usually used to denote someone who takes money without being seen to have earned it.

In Simon Cowell's case, basically the Head of the X Factor operation, it's meant in the sense that he made his fortune by looking for talent and exploiting it. Cowell is the master of playing the media game and is well known for stirring the pot and controversial comments, that's what his whole image is build on. And Prince Philip is the master of gaffe, so both versions, the one that it happended and the one that didn't happen, are credible ;)

I am so pleased to welcome you to the small, but select group of people who actually "get" Prince Philip.

I guess we can all guess at one of the ingredients of the Royal Couple's long and sucessful marriage. Killer wit and acid humour which, I am betting, our Queen is sorely in need of on too many occasions to count. One of his droll witicisms or classic "gaffe's" must surely make the heart feel lighter and the spirit refreshed.

Laughter, after all, is indeed the best medicine. " A merry heart doeth good like a medicine . . . . . . . a broken spirit dryeth the bone. See, it's even biblical for those of a more sedate nature.

Philip's wit has always been part of his personality and it helped him to be / to be seen as independent personality, despite being the consort to the most recognizable monarch in the world. Unlike others, he continued to speak his mind and the gaffes became sort of a trademark already at an early stage of his consort life. Like it or not, it is authentic and gives Prince Philip "character", something other consorts, especially males, have been missing / were forced to miss. Philip is a role model when it comes down to accepting his shadow role but trying to fullfil it with as much independency as possible.

Although Philip will walk a few steps behind his wife, the Head of State on official events, only one look at the couple reveals that he won't do the same behind closed doors, where he is the Head of the Family. The trust of his wife, his personality and confidence in himself have always been strong enough to sucessfully manage his life as a consort and to survive a mother in law bugging him for many, many years; holding on to his character traits, such as the wit, at the same time. Good for him and overall good for the House of Windsor.

:previous: Great piece! :flowers:

One of the major problems concerning Philips wit, is that it appears to be something the British understand but very few others.

I don't know, I'm not British and I don't have a problem with Prince Philip's humour. It adds colour to otherwise dull public occasions and I think by now everyone knows, "oh, it's just Phillip again!" Prince Phillip comes from a less politically correct generation. I used to work at a retirement home where there were several British gentlemen about Philip's age, and I can imagine similar comments coming from them.

Like others have said, I think Philip's wit must be refreshing for the Queen, considering how much time she has to spend in settings where only the politest formalities are allowed--not to mention, it's probably his way of livening up his public duties and adding a touch of his own personality to scripted situations. And he can get away with it because he's the monarch's consort and not the monarch herself.

Back
Top Bottom