The Sun Newspaper's "Nazi Salute" Publication (and Response): July 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JR76

Heir Apparent
City
Malmö
Country
Sweden
The Sun has published film footage from 1933 where the Queen, the Queen Mother, Edward VIII & Princess Margareth are shown doing the Nazi salute. The headline of the article is very "wittingly" Their Royal Heilnesses. While The Sun stresses the fact that neither of the two Queens had any nazi sympathies I can only imagine the cries of joy when they got their hands on said footage...
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6548665/Their-RoyalHeilnesses.html

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Oh my that's very disturbing I can't believe they would do that.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The Queen is blameless. She was just a child but goes to show we dodged a bullet with Edward VIII

Last edited:
The thing to remember is the queen is a child of 7 years old, she wouldn't have an understanding of what this meant or represented. A family member has found it entertaining to teach the children the salute.

Thank God that ghastly man Edward V111 married a woman unacceptable to this country.. He would have been a TOTAL DISASTER for it, and for his Dynasty...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKJSiSuWwAAXhGW.jpg:large

The Queen has dedicated her life to the UK and the Commonwealth, and she was with her parents, sister and Winston Churchill a symbol of peace during World War II. She was a child when this film was shot, and she is almost 90. This front page is disgusting and it shows how far the UK media is willing to go.

Non-story really. Tabloids in Britain have been on an anti-German kick lately.

A Palace source said: "Most people will see these pictures in their proper context and time. This is a family playing and momentarily referencing a gesture many would have seen from contemporary news reels.

"No one at that time had any sense how it would evolve. To imply anything else is misleading and dishonest."

The source added: "The Queen and her family's service and dedication to the welfare of this nation during the war, and the 63 years the Queen has spent building relations between nations and peoples speaks for itself."
Queen 'Nazi salute' film: Palace 'disappointed' at use - BBC News

General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh

But the Queen Mother was doing it and laughing also I thought she didn't like Edward or was that only later. I'm surprised that it wasn't burnt long ago

Last edited:
This looks bad now but remember it was 1933 and years before the war even started. No one had any idea what was coming.

As the Palace stated, the time and context are important.

Watching it again it's actually the queen mother that does it first and teaches the girls

This looks bad now but remember it was 1933 and years before the war even started. No one had any idea what was coming.

As the Palace stated, the time and context are important.

I agree with this. We have to keep in mind that the ideals of the Nazi regime along with the charisma of its leader pulled in the support of a whole lot of people with a brand new fresh slant on a good life to come that was very well received.

I would put this video clip in the same category as perhaps mimicking the natives of Hawaii and their hula dances. Some things about people that live far away and the way they do things so differently has always fascinated people.

Buckingham Palace 'disappointed' at 1933 footage released by The Sun - Telegraph
The Sun newspaper has printed still images from the cine film on its front page on Saturday, with the headline “Their Royal Heilnesses”, which sources close to the Queen described as “misleading and dishonest”.

The Royal Household was particularly angry at the newspaper’s decision to print the 82-year-old images, which have never been seen before, just three weeks after the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh visited the site of the former Nazi concentration camp at Bergen-Belsen in Germany.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said on Friday night: "It is disappointing that a film, shot eight decades ago and apparently from HM's personal family archive, has been obtained and exploited in this manner.”

The Queen being taught a NAZI SALUTE by Edward VIII in 1933 video | Daily Mail Online

The sick people who comment in the DM comment section will go crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
How would the paper get that footage? It's a family movie so how would it get out I find that more interesting than what their doing. Could be a good story behind that. Who had it, how much did they get for it and have they any other private things. Was it a member of the royal family or staff fallen on hard times. I would love to know.

Seems like they were making fun of the salute. No harm, IMO.

Hitler was a very new Chancellor in 1933. He had come to power in the February. People often treated the Nazi salute as a joke. My uncle, who is 90, can remember he and his friends imitating the Nazi salute and Hitler's moustache in the early 1930's. The newsreels of the time were admiring rather than otherwise.

It was no doubt Edward who started up this particular game with his very young nieces. His father George V warned him later in the 1930's against making pro-German speeches to ex servicemen's organisations. Edward was a virulent anti-Communist and regarded Fascism as a bulwark against it (like many in the early to mid 1930's.)

Last edited:
Watching it again it's actually the queen mother that does it first and teaches the girls

I've never been a fan of the manipulative Queen Mother, but she was no nasi sympathizer.

I too wonder at how they got ahold of what is obviously a private home movie. And find myself wondering the following things

1.) aren't there certain legal ramifications still on the books in English law about sedition in regards to HM? She is the head of state and no matter how u spin this , this is seditious.

2.) what means was this vide obtained? It has to be illegal. I hope HM prosecutes whoever is behind it

Anyone who ever mutters that QETQM is or was a Nazi sympathizer is so stupid and did not/has not ever read anything about her. She detested Germans and lost brothers in WWI, hitter called her the one of the biggest threats to Germany.

The Sun should be punishable for sedition imo

It's just like attacking queen Frederika For the youth movement in Germany which was compulsory , which is why her parents shipped her out of Germany to school , yet people drudged it up years later only to throw it in her face.

Garbage journalism

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Queen Nazi salute film: Palace 'disappointed' at use - BBC News
In its editorial column the Sun said it had decided to publish the footage because it was of great public importance and the involvement of Prince Edward gave it "historical significance".

The then Prince of Wales faced numerous accusations of being a Nazi sympathiser and was photographed meeting Hitler in Munich in October 1937.

The newspaper said: "These images have lain hidden for 82 years. We publish them today, knowing they do not reflect badly on our Queen, her late sister or mother in any way.

what utter garbage. They why publish them at all. They might as well say " i know these are libelous , we claim they aren't , we are going to publish them anyhow seeing as how we paying through that teeth for them, but we know they are libelous".

If it didn't affect they then why publish it at all. What total/utter trash

I still think the story is who had it I assume the Queens father took the video was it sent to relatives in Germany was it in an old cupboard
Where was it ?who had it ?

But the Queen Mother was doing it and laughing also I thought she didn't like Edward or was that only later. I'm surprised that it wasn't burnt long ago

I think the distance came after the affair with Wallis started, which was 1934, so after the video was shot.

The Queen is blameless. She was just a child but goes to show we dodged a bullet with Edward VIII

Dodging a bullet implies luck. As far as Edward VIII is concerned though, I doubt it was just a lucky coincidence. My impression is that the British government was fully aware that he was a Nazi sympathizer and that must have played a major part in the abdication ( with Mrs. Simpson of course providing a convenient excuse).

If you watch the full clip on YouTube it's the Queen mother that's starts it so it isn't uncle Edward teaching them but would still love to know who had it

This whole thing is so disconcerting, as others have pointed out. For one thing, how did the Sun obtain this video, and why is it being made public now? Someone must have known about it or held onto it.

Also, the Sun obviously knows what they're stirring up, and knows the video will be taken out of context. Of course, people today are going to view the Nazis from a post-War perspective, because that's only natural. However, many won't stop to think that things would obviously have been perceived differently before the war. My grandmother was in high school in the United States in the 1930s, and in her German classes, one of the things they learned was the German national anthem. Now, that's not an unusual thing to learn in a language class, but the version of the anthem that they were taught became so strongly associated with the Nazis that it was no longer used after the war. To this day, my grandmother still remembers all the words to the version of the anthem that she learned (she didn't know that it had been changed until, at some point, she met some German people and tried to impress them with her knowledge of the their national anthem, and they were rather horrified and embarrassed to hear the Nazi version!), and it was a bit surprising to me to learn that my grandmother had been taught that in a U.S. public school. However, once I remembered that she had attended high school before the war, it made sense. They were just learning about contemporary Germany, which at the time was governed by the Nazis.

I think the distance came after the affair with Wallis started, which was 1934, so after the video was shot.

Yes, If I recall, the Queen Mother was rather fond of Edward VIII until Wallis came along.

If you watch the full clip on YouTube it's the Queen mother that's starts it so it isn't uncle Edward teaching them but would still love to know who had it

The Queen Mother had no Fascist leanings though, unlike Edward, who was an anti-Semite to boot. He was still calling Jewish people 'yids' and other offensive epithets AFTER the war, as Rex Harrison's then wife (herself Jewish) recalled.

We don't know what was happening on the Balmoral lawn before the camera rolled. Hitler's mannerisms and the Nazi salute were regarded as amusing in 1933, and the Queen Mother or Edward may have started imitating it and roaring with laughter. The QM is seen laughing in the film.

In my own family a great-uncle (who had served in WWI) used to do a great imitation of Hitler working himself up into a rage when making a speech. The other adults in the family thought it was hilarious. It was his party turn in the early 1930's (in Britain.)

Will the Sun be made to say how they got it ? Did it really just fall into their lap.
I'm just waiting for the other shoes to fall. I have a horrible feeling there is more to come.

The film clip, as I understand it, was made before Hitler even assumed power. They couldn't possibly have known what Nazism would evolve into at the time.
To them it would have been just another fascist movement, like so many others in Europe at the time. Whether they at the time had sympathies for the fascists/Nazis is anyone's guess. After all on the surface fascism represented a kind of disciplined order with conservative values. I think the Communists would have worried the BRF more at the time.

Anyway, if people are to get heat for stupid and/or tasteless jokes and goofing around within what is supposed to be the safety of a family circle, we'd all be in trouble! (I sure would).

The only one who is blameless in all this is QEII.

Of course the 2 children are blameless. The Adults maybe not
It depends who got the movie and why

Back
Top Bottom