The Royal Maundy Service - 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is one of my favourite dates on the Royal calendar - it is unique, rich in history/ and symbolic significance. Although it's not officially so, for me it is the start of the ceremonial Royal Year. I'm sorry that it appears to be diminishing in the attention it receives from the press coverage.

I'm Anglican, but our Maundy Thursday service is always quite somber. The Queen, as always, is magnificent.

How good to see the inside of the cathedral in Oxford. Another notable British cathedral, reminding us of the past glory of England.
My Episcopal Church here in New Mexico still carries out the traditional Easter services, Mauny Thursday, Good Friday "Seven Last Words of Jesus" and Way of the Cross, with seven ministers from local churches (Methodist, Lutheran, Vineyard, Baptist, and Episcopal) preaching on the Seven Last Words. I expect this may be unusual now, that these services are performed in America.
It's good to see HM and the DofE keeping it up, and in the traditional cathedrals of England.
It is indeed a loss that the BBC no longer transmits the service of Maundy Thursday.

Video:
The Queen has attended the traditional Royal Maundy Thursday service at Blackburn Cathedral in Lancashire today, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip. Wearing a woollen dress and cashmere coat by Stuart Parvin, Her Majesty handed out bags of Maundy coins to 88 men and 88 women, representing her 88 years, before posing for a photograph outside the cathedral’s main entrance. The service dates back to the 13th century when the monarch would give money to the poor and wash their feet-
Home - ITNSource News

This years Royal Maundy Thursday Service will take place at Sheffield's Cathedral of St Peter and St Paul on April 2nd.

Sheffield Cathedral

Video:
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have attended the Royal Maundy Service at Sheffield Cathedral-

Home - ITNSource News

HM looks stunning , and she was in Yorkshire- my favorite place in the world.

Question. First she looked lovely as usual. I thought it was tradition that the music used in the service always included Zadok the priest. Has that been done away with?

pauses for a moment.. Now I see and understand a little better. I will have to look this up a little, Royal Maundy. They give alms and help others. A notion showing how charitable actions extend deeply into a way of life and belief. I am really ignorant, if you can, please excuse me. I simply didn't grow up learning anything about The Royals and recently took interest because I notice how deeply respected they are. I come from a country where we vote for President. Monarchy is so different. Reading about monarchy is interesting. It is a jovial part of society.

As is often stated "You gotta start somewhere". This is the perfect place to really get good insights into how just about every aspect of the British Royal Family and the monarchy works. For me, one night I was bored and wondered what crazy hats were at Ascot that year and a search got me directed here. Lots of good people with extensive knowledge here.

The 2016 Office for the Royal Maundy will be held at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, on Thursday 24th March 2016.

I don't think I've ever know the Royal Maundy Service to be held at St George's Chapel before and I wonder if this is part of the special arrangements for The Queen's 90th Birthday year.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Maundy Thursday: Queen hands out 90th birthday coins - BBC News

Queen moves congregation to tears at maundy service | Daily Mail Online
The Queen has marked Maundy Thursday with a moving ceremony, reducing members of the congregation to tears as she handed out commemorative coins.

The monarch beamed as she undertook the tradition of giving red and white purses containing Maundy money to pensioners, who were chosen in recognition of their service to the community and the Church.

The Queen was joined by the Duke of Edinburgh for the Royal Maundy service, which was held in St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle for the first time since 1959.

She wore a turquoise wool crepe dress and turquoise tweed coat by Karl Ludwig and a matching hat with a lace trim by Angela Kelly.

The service broke from tradition to mark the Queen's upcoming 90th birthday.

Some 90 men and 90 women received Maundy Money - each coin representing one of the monarch's years - and were selected from across the country, not the local diocese as is usual.

The Queen handed two purses - one white and one red - to each person during a procession of the Chapel, while the choir sang.

Recipients and their guests could be seen wiping away tears after spending a brief moment with the monarch.

The Queen presents Maundy Thursday coins and moves pensioners to tears | Daily Mail Online

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/03/24/15/3286399400000578-3507812-image-a-9_1458832614125.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/03/24/13/32843C2000000578-3507812-image-a-47_1458826164395.jpg

Video:
The Queen has marked Maundy Thursday as she handed out commemorative coins to the congregation at Windsor. The monarch beamed as she undertook the tradition of giving red and white purses containing Maundy money to pensioners, who were chosen in recognition of their service to the community and the Church. The Queen was joined by the Duke of Edinburgh for the Royal Maundy service, which was held in St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle for the first time since 1959.

Home - ITNSource News

Last edited:
So moving, and it will become more so as the years go on.

Here are the first pics of this year's Royal Maundy Service at Leicester Cathedral today, April 13:

** gettyimages gallery ** zimbio gallery **

** dailymail: The Queen hands out a traditional Maundy Thursday coin for each of her 91 years..**

Nice to see that so many people were out to see our beloved Queen, but I don't understand why they bothered, because they hardly get to see her anyway.

Had it not been for her age and security, then she could have used the queenmobile (as she used to do), but it's nice that she vent on a small walkabout (very rare nowadays) to receive some flowers.

Queen hands out Maundy coins in Leicester - BBC News

Article from the Telegraph:
Smiling Queen charms Maundy Money recipients at Leicester Cathedral
The Queen has marked Maundy Thursday by handing out Maundy Money - a tradition dating back to the 13th century.

Accompanied by the Duke Of Edinburgh, she was in high spirits as she distributed coins to 91 men and 91 women at Leicester Cathedral.

Hundreds of well-wishers lined the route from Leicester station to the cathedral - where the last Plantagenet king, Richard III, is buried - in a bid to catch a glimpse of the royal visitors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SnDeOlV4MU

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom