The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-17-2018, 05:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Royal Maundy Service will be held in St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle this year.

https://www.stgeorges-windsor.org/ne...l-maundy-2018/

Old 03-18-2018, 02:35 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if that means there's a chance it will be televised like in 2011. Although it's two months before the wedding rather than a week before like it was then, so I suppose the cameras won't be in place yet.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Here are the first photos of this year's Royal Maundy Service today, March 29:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: The Queen Attends the Royal Maundy Service **

** dailymail: The Queen presents Maundy Thursday coins at traditional service at Windsor Castle's St George's Chapel..**
Old 03-29-2018, 07:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

I hope Prince Philip feel better. I know how it is when the hips go out. You can’t do much.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-29-2018, 11:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

I do love this service every year. The Queen always looks like she is enjoying herself so much!
Old 03-29-2018, 12:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Her Majesty The Queen Attends Royal Maundy Thursday Service at St. George’s Chapel, Windsor-
https://itnproductions.com/news/vide...ndsor?type=raw

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-29-2018, 01:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks, Iceflower & Dman!

A bit different than last year when thousands of people lined the streets to see the Queen in Leicester, despite the fact that she stopped with proper walkabouts in 2013, due to her age.

--------------------

Articles from the BBC and Telegraph:

Maundy Thursday: Queen hands out coins to mark women's vote - BBC News
Quote:
The Queen has marked Maundy Thursday by giving out commemorative coins to pensioners, as part of a traditional royal service at Windsor Castle.

Ninety-two women and 92 men were presented with the coins, some marking 100 years since women got the right to vote, in recognition of their service to the church and community.
Quote:
The event, dating back to the 13th Century, was held at St George's Chapel - where Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will be married in May.

At the service, the Queen carried a nosegay made up of daffodils, primroses, stocks, purple statice, freesias, rosemary, thyme and ivy leaves.

The recipients, who were chosen by ministers and members of the clergy, received a red and a white purse.

The red one contained a £5 coin marking four generations of royalty, and a 50p piece commemorating the Representation of the People Act 1918, which gave some women the right to vote for the first time.

The white purse has silver penny pieces which add up to the value of 92p - the Queen's age.
Prince Philip misses Maundy Service with bad hip - Telegraph
Quote:
he Duke of Edinburgh has missed the annual Maundy Service attended by the Queen because of a problem with his hip, it is understood.

The Duke, who has effectively retired from royal duties, was hoping to join his wife at the centuries-old event being staged this year at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, where Prince Harry will marry Meghan Markle in May.

But it is understood the 96-year-old duke, who has traditionally accompanied the Queen at the ceremony, took the decision not to take part because he has been experiencing some trouble with his hip.

It is not thought to be a serious issue as the Duke, who was named as a guest in the order of service for the Maundy Thursday event, was spotted driving in Windsor Great Park on Wednesday.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen looks lovely in this coat.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:06 PM
Majesty

Does anyone know what she says to the Maundy recipients? It it always the same thing? Usually nothing? I have problems trying to read lips on my not so great monitor. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2018, 07:55 AM
Heir Apparent

It may be the wrong place to ask but the Queen seemed to have a new lady in waiting for this event? OR certainly the lady in this picture http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/20...2319383865.jpg acted in the way a Lady in Waiting would, does anyone know who she is?
Old 03-30-2018, 08:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
It may be the wrong place to ask but the Queen seemed to have a new lady in waiting for this event? OR certainly the lady in this picture http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/20...2319383865.jpg acted in the way a Lady in Waiting would, does anyone know who she is?
I noticed. She accompanied The Queen in the car, so I’m guessing she’s a LIW or a fill in.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-30-2018, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I loved the setting for this years Royal Maundy Thursday Service at St. George’s Chapel, Windsor,we'll be seeing more of it quite soon!
Old 03-30-2018, 09:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I noticed. She accompanied The Queen in the car, so I’m guessing she’s a LIW or a fill in.
Did a bit of my own digging and turns out HM appointed 2 new LiW last year, Lady Elizabeth Leeming and Mrs. Simon Rhodes who are Extra Ladies in Waiting.

The Queen appoints two new Ladies-in-Waiting – Royal Central

I suspect the lady is one of those two, I googled and found a pic of a Lady Elizabeth Leeming and doesn't appear to be her so I suspect Mrs Rhodes, who is the daughter-in-law of the Queen's late cousin Margaret Rhodes.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:01 AM
Serene Highness

The Royal Family's website includes a brief video of the Queen's first Royal Maundy Service at Westminster Abbey in 1952:

https://www.royal.uk/royal-maundy-service
Old 03-30-2018, 10:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Did a bit of my own digging and turns out HM appointed 2 new LiW last year, Lady Elizabeth Leeming and Mrs. Simon Rhodes who are Extra Ladies in Waiting.

The Queen appoints two new Ladies-in-Waiting – Royal Central

I suspect the lady is one of those two, I googled and found a pic of a Lady Elizabeth Leeming and doesn't appear to be her so I suspect Mrs Rhodes, who is the daughter-in-law of the Queen's late cousin Margaret Rhodes.
Oh okay. Thanks for the update. I took notice of her during the start and ending of the ITN video.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-30-2018, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

HM looks really happy, it seems that she always enjoys these services.

I hope Philip gets well soon. The weather we have been having here in England has certainly not been spring-like so I wonder if he was absent due to a weather related illness.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-30-2018, 05:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

It has been reported he was absent due to issues with his hip.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It has been reported he was absent due to issues with his hip.
Ah OK, thank you. I missed those reports.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-01-2018, 05:51 AM
Majesty

I hope Prince Philip is feeling better and is able to join the Queen and other members of the family for the Easter service.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I hope Prince Philip is feeling better and is able to join the Queen and other members of the family for the Easter service.
Sadly, he wasn’t able to. But the Cambridge’s and other members of the family are there.

A.W. TOZER

Tags
armagh, duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, maundy, maundy service, northern ireland, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii, royal traditions