The Queen's Dogs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes - one of the 'bond' dogs passed away shortly after the Olympics.

I too remember the story that she wouldn't have any more puppies due to her age.

Yes - one of the 'bond' dogs passed away shortly after the Olympics.

I too remember the story that she wouldn't have any more puppies due to her age.

It makes sense. Even though the Queen is from a family who often lives to an extraordinary age, she's still getting to a point where she must be ready to slow down in some ways, and it makes sense that she wouldn't want to take on new puppies at this point in her life. Still must have been a hard decision, and must be hard to see the large pack she's had for so long grow smaller.

What I'd love to know is if there are still Dorgis around the Palace? I've heard of them, but I don't think I've ever seen a picture of one come to think of it.

It is a shame that such a doggie lover as HM won't be getting herself any new Puppies, at her age it's also understandable, but what a hard decision that had to be to make.

What adorable photos! You can tell that HM is a true dog lover who bonds with her pets. They are not just around for decoration and they are given much affection and attention. Lucky doggies!:p

I spent the day hanging out with corgis. They are a pretty smart dogs. My friend's corgi will shut the door when you tell him too.

It's going to be sad if no one from the next generations don't pick up the corgi cause. C&C seems into Jack Russells and William I think seems to think the corgis bark too much from one of the diamond jubilee TV docs.
Maybe Louise will become a corgi lover like her granny.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

:previous: I agree Skippy! I personally love the breed and in my mind completely associate them with the BRF. I would be sad to see them fade out, ending decades of tradition.

What about Princess Anne? Does she own any corgis?

Doesn't she have a bull terrier? Peter and Zara have black labs plus Zara and Mike also have a boxer and bullmastiff.

:previous: I agree Skippy! I personally love the breed and in my mind completely associate them with the BRF. I would be sad to see them fade out, ending decades of tradition.

What about Princess Anne? Does she own any corgis?

I believe Anne has bull terriers, but looking at the Christmas card it looks like she has a variety or they might belong to Zara or Peter.

Queen stops breeding corgis as 'she doesn't want to leave any behind' - Telegraph
Monty Roberts, a horse whisperer who has regularly advised the Queen and is a frequent guest at the royal residences, has revealed that she told him that she did not want any more pups.

Mr Roberts, 80, whom the Queen named one of corgi after, said he had urged her to breed more dogs in 2012.

"But she didn't wnat to have any more young dogs," he told Vanity Fair.

"She didn't want to leave any young dog behind. She wanted to put an end to it."

Mr Roberts admitted that the tone of the conversation had "concerned" him as he did not want her to contemplate dying.

The Queen, 89, who has owned 30 corgis over the years, has now has just two, Holly and Willow. Both are almost 12 and so are unlikely to live much longer.

I know it's old news, but this was a new article, where Monty Roberts talks about what the Queen told him.

Queen Elizabeth?s Corgis: A History | Vanity Fair
Even at age 80, Roberts is an imposing physical presence and bears himself with almost preternatural calm. But at a Heathrow Airport restaurant, en route to assist in the training of young Thoroughbreds at Polhampton, a slight tremor breaks across his lips when he describes an exchange he had with the Queen after Monty’s death, in 2012.

“I said, ‘I want you to tell me the best breeder of corgis that you revere. Who’s doing the best job? Because I want a puppy to be named Monty, to be a replacement.’ But she didn’t want to have any more young dogs. She didn’t want to leave any young dog behind. She wanted to put an end to it. I understood that we would discuss it further at a later date.

“Well, we never discussed it at a later date, and I have no right to try to force her into continuing to bring on young puppies if she doesn’t want to. That isn’t my right. But it still concerns me. Because I want her to believe in her existence until she’s no longer here, because she’s just too important to the world to contemplate checking out. For me, the Queen can’t die.”

To Roberts, the corgis exemplify the Queen’s greatness as a leader in one specific way, distinct from the sense of continuity that many claim to be the essence of her significance. “The dogs are so critical, and the horses, the cows, and the other animals, the wild deer and the stags of Scotland—they all play into it, because in my opinion the Queen created an avenue by which people could include animals as a part of our social structure,” Roberts says.

They kept the Queen Mum company in oldest age until, on Easter Sunday 2002, she died, a little more than one month after Princess Margaret had passed away. When the Queen went to Clarence House to view her mother’s body, she took the Queen Mum’s corgis home with her, and they were cared for as her own.

This is wrong, the Queen Mother died at Royal Lodge, Windsor, with the Queen, at her bedside.

Last edited:
It's wonderful that Monty Roberts reveres the Queen so much as a sovereign and person. However, I do think that the Queen has made a sensible decision to just have her remaining dogs grow old and not get replacements. All sorts of things come into play when a dog owner is nearing ninety, including the possibility of tripping over an active little animal due to poor eyesight or unsteadiness.

It's wonderful that Monty Roberts reveres the Queen so much as a sovereign and person. However, I do think that the Queen has made a sensible decision to just have her remaining dogs grow old and not get replacements. All sorts of things come into play when a dog owner is nearing ninety, including the possibility of tripping over an active little animal due to poor eyesight or unsteadiness.

Not only that, but also think what a pet goes through when that special loved one is gone. My Uncle told us that w/it being close to three months since my Aunt passed away, their dog Zoe is still looking for her and runs to the door when someone comes, but is so disappointed when it isn't Aunt Robbie.

The Queen being the animal lover we know she is, I can't see her not also taking that into consideration when making her decision. As sad as it is to picture her not surrounded by her beloved Corgis, it is the right choice to make, but i can't begin to imagine how hard it was for Her Majesty to make. After all, her dogs have been the only ones she *knew* deep down that she could tell anything to that would not go any further.

Not easy at all, but w/out a doubt the right thing to decide to do.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

This story breaks my heart a little for two reasons. I admire QEII more than any other member of the BRF and I don't want to contemplate a time when she is no longer around.

And as much as she obviously loves her pets, she is also very pragmatic about them.:sad:

For years a book called "The English Dog at Home" has been on my shelves and it is a very appealing publication.

Perhaps a little dated now as it's from the mid-eighties, it has a couple of chapters about the dogs of The Queen, Queen Mother and Princess Anne.

With photos taken at Birkhall and Gatcombe Park it covers some of the background of how the Royal Family came to take up corgis.

Prior to the Royal Family the breed was little known outside of South Wales.

This is a lovely book for anyone interested in dogs or stately English interiors!

My soft-cover edition has the Buckingham Palace "reject" that Princess Anne gave a home to on the cover, but I think there are other versions that are still available on ebay etc.

A very sensible decision, from a very sensible woman, IMO!

It is a sensible and responsible way of acting, even though the corgis would always have had an excellent housing and care when their lady would have gone.

Well, I don't think they have to worry about George not being a dog lover like HM. Case in point, those pictures from polo 2014, when he was desperately trying to make his way over to a random dog. But the dog was black so maybe he just confused him with Lupo.

Btw, I think it's funny that Hello! is saying they're endangered, with your previous post from the Express says they are making a promising comeback. That's the British press in a nutshell.

Last edited:
I don't think the Queen treats her dogs in an unusual way, either. Corgis of different generations have been her lifelong friends really, from childhood, and she's acted accordingly.

I can empathize with HM and know that Holly will be sorely missed. As most of us that have four legged family members know, the sickness and death of one leaves a big, empty hole that just cannot be filled. We also know that that we always strive to do what is best for our family.

That's sad to hear. I wonder if HM will get anymore corgis or if she will now just have Willow and her dorgis.

It been said that the Queen has stopped breeding Corgis. Considering the advanced ages of the dogs she has now, if she wanted new dogs, we would have seen them already. Maybe she doesn't to leave behind a large amount of dogs when she passes. No one else in the family seem to be Corgi people. I personally like Corgis and have a half corgi dog myself.

I believe it was said a few years ago that due to her age the Queen wasn't going to get any more dogs.

Yes it was said that she has stopped breeding dogs and has no plans to bring in new ones. I've read that (and heard it in a documentary or something as well) more than once.

LaRae

Yes, that was said a few years back, the Queen would not be adding to her family of dogs.

All in all, how many did she have over the years? I know she was quite young when she got Susan - her first corgi - as a present.

Back
Top Bottom