The Queen's Dogs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're so cute I am sure they provide some sort of entertainment to the royal family, just like any other dog only that they are royally trained.

This is just tragic. I haven't been reading the mail, but I read the other major British papers daily and haven't heard a thing about this illness.

How many dogs total have died? 49? If so, that's just terrifying. I'm reading it as 49 affected...did any of the Queen's own dogs die? I'm confused.

Last edited:
As of February,2012, how many dogs remain? I read from the official website that The Queen has four Corgis – Linnet, Monty, Holly, Willow. She also has three Dorgis (cross-breed of Dachshund and Corgi) Cider, Candy, Vulcan.... but those facts are a few years old. Does any one know how old the dogs are as Well?

Can one acquire dogs from the Sandringham kennels or are they only given away as gifts or into already known hands?

I guess we all need a little help sometimes:
Queen calls for an end to the Balmoral bloodbath - Telegraph

It is a task that will require infinite reserves of patience, tact and courage, but the Queen has found the man who can put a stop to any more blood being spilled at Balmoral. Mandrake can disclose that Roger Mugford, the animal psychologist who has extensive experience of the Royal Family’s pets, is to be commanded to restore order among the monarch’s corgis.

“Her Majesty keeps her dogs disciplined, but she recognises that sometimes they have problems that require professional help,” a courtier tells me. He was alluding to a regrettable incident during the Royal Family’s summer holiday in Scotland in which one of the Queen’s corgis subjected Max, Princess Beatrice’s 11-year-old terrier, to a ferocious assault.

The rogue corgi has yet to be identified, but the Queen owns three of the dogs, Monty, Holly, Willow. She also has three “dorgis” - a dachshund and corgi cross - who are named Cider, Candy and Vulcan. Mugford is accustomed to blood-thirsty patients. His most notorious was Florence, the Princess Royal’s English bull terrier, who, over a blood-splattered Christmas at Sandringham in 2003, attacked Pharos, the Queen’s venerable corgi, with such savagery that he had to be put down. Five days later, Florence went for a maid, Ruby Brooker, biting deeply into her leg. Miss Brooker later left the Royal Household after 20 years’ service. Mugford subsequently assured me that, thanks to his treatment, Florence had “reformed” her ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats just horrible. I didnt know that Corgis were so vicious. I misjudged them thinking they were so sweet and calm. I guess a doggy intervention is needed and soon!

Thats just horrible. I didnt know that Corgis were so vicious. I misjudged them thinking they were so sweet and calm. I guess a doggy intervention is needed and soon!

I remember reading that they could be nippy, but didn't think that dogs that are relatively small could be that aggressive. I was also fooled by their precious fox-like faces :wub:. They look so cute and cuddly.

Yes Daria. So much for cute and cuddly. Boy was I fooled. Good dogs to have around for protection I suppose. Just dont let them near other pets. My goodness.

Yes Daria. So much for cute and cuddly. Boy was I fooled. Good dogs to have around for protection I suppose. Just dont let them near other pets. My goodness.

It may also depend on the personality of a particular dog, and what the owner considers as 'acceptable' behavior. If the owner allows the dog to get away with occasional nipping and aggressiveness, then the dog will exhibit those behaviors without any fear of a reprimand. I think we also have to take into account the 'pack' mentality. Beatrice's terrier (poor soul) was seen as an 'intruder' by the corgis, so they wanted to get rid of him. I've met a very sweet corgi too though. He was all too happy to just sniff my shoes :D.

True. Pack mentality could be the reason. I wouldnt think that the Queens dogs would not be allowed to nip or display bad behavior of any kind. I always thought they were well trained and obedient. I suppose some dogs have a mind of their own though.

True. Pack mentality could be the reason. I wouldnt think that the Queens dogs would not be allowed to nip or display bad behavior of any kind. I always thought they were well trained and obedient. I suppose some dogs have a mind of their own though.

I remember reading somewhere that Her Majesty's dogs are treated like members of the family, and have their own butler (man, now that's a 'dog's life', eh :ermm:?). There have also been stories about the dogs nipping a servant. I'm not a dog lover (have had a huge German Shepard jump on me when I was really little), but I have been less fearful of them in the last several years, however, if a cute, little corgi that belonged to Her Majesty bit me, I'd be going through a major set-back in my attempt to overcome my phobia.

Last edited:
Sad news in today's Sunday Times. One of the Queen's corgis, who starred in that wonderful scene with HM and James Bond at the Olympics opening ceremony, has departed to doggy heaven.

THE Queen’s oldest corgi, which stole the show at the Olympics opening ceremony with its appearance in a James Bond sketch, has died.

Monty and two other corgis greeted Bond, played by Daniel Craig, as he arrived at Buckingham Palace to accept a mission from the Queen. They gambolled down the stairs, performed tummy rolls and then stood sentry as a helicopter took off for the Olympic stadium, carrying the secret agent and a stunt double of the monarch.

The death of Monty, 13, named after Monty Roberts, the American subject of a BBC documentary, A Real Horse Whisperer, leaves two corgis in the palace, Willow and Holly. They too appeared in the Olympic film.

The breed has been associated with the Windsors since 1933, when the future George VI bought his first pembroke corgi. The palace confirmed the death of Monty and of Cider, a dorgi, or dachshund-corgi cross-breed. Two other dorgis, Candy and Vulcan, remain.

Roberts, 77, who advises the Queen on horses and corgis, is offering her a corgi puppy to carry on the tradition.
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/royalwedding/article1122314.ece

Aw, I have read that Monty was the Queen's absolute favorite!:sad:
Too bad she does not have a vet like Siegfried Farnon from All Creatures Great and Small to lift her spirits....;)

I thought about that show and Siegfried when I read those news. How sad :sad:. Her Majesty could definitely use a comforting and understanding ear that Mr. Farnon had the ability to provide.

Apparently a 'dorgi' has gone to doggy heaven with Monty. It was a cross with a dacshund. Now she only has 4 left, 2 corgis and 2 dorgis.

Awwww...very sad for HM. I bet he was a very loyal and faithful companion.

Oh so sad. But at least they lived a wonderful loving full life being well taken care of. For an animal to live 13 years is amazing. Its difficult to lose a pet who is a part of the family. They are in doggy heaven now. :(

It's really very sad: dogs, with their unlimited loyalty and love, can become true members of a family.
I don't even want to think of ever losing my dog - it would be devastating.

Monty and the unnamed dorgy are now in doggy heaven.

I really for the family as they have to be acutely aware of the loss of a beloved family member. Our four legged friends that adopt us into their hearts can be as sorely missed as any member of the family.

Meanwhile a few hours later...

Going through Huffinton its made the news that HM has lost a close personal companion. Although the article is about the death of her corgi and dorgi, there's also a video link of HM driving in (drum roll) a hoodie!

BTW: the commercial that plays before the video of HM is always one that brings a big grin to my face (pun intended).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...d=maing-grid7|main5|dl2|sec1_lnk3&pLid=203107

Last edited:
:ohmy:
Queen's corgis 'attack Princess Beatrice's pet terrier dog during a walk at Balmoral' | Mail Online
:sad:

I thought about that show and Siegfried when I read those news. How sad :sad:. Her Majesty could definitely use a comforting and understanding ear that Mr. Farnon had the ability to provide.
Right on the money, Daria!:D I have been looking at pics of H.M. and her dogs,( above article, bottom pic), and it seems that she has some of the " magic touch" with aniimals as Siegfried. Note that I said some.;)
And I know another person who would provide comforting and understanding ears for H.M.;):D

Artemisia said:
It's really very sad: dogs, with their unlimited loyalty and love, can become true members of a family.
I don't even want to think of ever losing my dog - it would be devastating.

Monty and the unnamed dorgy are now in doggy heaven.

The Dorgi is called Cider. Just felt strange that both died at the same time, hope it's not due to some dog fight.

The Dorgi is called Cider. Just felt strange that both died at the same time, hope it's not due to some dog fight.
Or some contagious canine illness.....

The Queen's corgis and dorgis have a pretty sweet deal. They travel in Rolls Royces, Bentleys, Range Rovers, the Royal Train, the Queen's helicopter and the Queen's personal aircraft. They eat the kind of food that's better than what most humans consume. They live in palaces and castles with huge gardens and estates to enjoy. Then there's the fact that they witness all the parties, receptions, meetings etc. when the Queen's present.

It would be pretty cool to be reincarnated as one of the Queen's corgis, if you believe in that sort of thing that is! ;)

Back
Top Bottom