The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Celebrations 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

As part of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations, Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh
unveiled the first commemorative Jubilee Greenway Disc outside Buckingham Palace on a 60km/
37 mile walking and cyling route linking the West End of London with the East End today,
February 29, 2012.
The Duke of Gloucester as Patron of the Jubilee Walkway Trust attended the unveiling as well.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this since the Diamond Jubilee thread is closed.

An exhibition has just opened at the Queens Gallery in Edinburgh, Scotland marking Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee. It reflects the tastes of monarchs and other members of the royal family who have shaped one of the world’s great art collections. Some highlights of the exhibition:
- Two portraits by Rembrandt including the Agatha Bas portrait
- Collection of royal miniatures, including that of Mary, Queen of Scots
- A gold crown presented to Queen Victoria (a highly unusual creation)
- A casket presented to Queen Elizabeth (later Queen Mother) in 1936
- A collection of portraits and other works of art

Could one of the mods move this to Jubilee thread? :flowers:

Dazzling collection of Crown Jewels go on display to mark Diamond Jubilee
A glimpse of some of the dazzling jewels set to go on display at the Tower of London have been unveiled today. Around 2.5 million visitors flock to the historic landmark every year to see the bejeweled accessories and it is expected that the Diamond Jubilee and Olympic Games will attract even greater numbers. New music, improved lighting and restored film footage of the Queen's coronation in 1953 are just some of the highlights of the newly rearranged exhibition which opens to the public tomorrow.

- The magnificent Imperial State Crown of India
- Queen Victoria's small diamond crown
- The Exeter Salt, crafted in 1630
- The Queen Consort's ring
- The Sovereign's Sceptre

Could one of the mods move this to Jubilee thread? :flowers:

Epsom Derby set to attract 200,000 visitors as event kicks off Queen's Diamond Jubilee
With the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations kicking off - and Katherine Jenkins performing - it's no wonder the Epsom Derby is set to attract record number of visitors this year. Sales of tickets to the three-day equestrian event are up 70 per cent on last year as Royal fans race to get their hands on tickets. And only a few remain for the Queen's stand, costing £99 each.

Is this significant? That Phillip won't be doing anything televised? By saying it is 'notable' it sounds like its unusual. Why is that and why might it be happening - his age? illness? (I could see the age being an issue - he may be failing mentally - as is bound to happen - but is that the reason? They probably won't say).

Personally I don't think its significant, we've seen Phillip out and about recently so he can't be too unwell to record a message. I think its just not the Duke's thing to do something like this. He'll be at the Queen's side during the Jubilee events so to him it will be a case of carrying on as usual. From the interviews etc I have seen with the Duke he never seems to like them and seems to find them a boring chore so he probably decided to leave it to the Queen's children/grandchildren. I wouldn't say its at all unusual for the Duke not to be doing this. Its probably put like that because the same newspaper was one of the first to suggest that Charles would be doing his own televised tribute to the Queen so to them it is "notable" when compared to the rest of the family.

I don't think that Philip has ever really done anything much like this - yes there was some comment about the Queen having tolerance in abundance but I think, if memory serves, that was at a wedding anniversary - which is a mutual occasion.

On an occasion to celebrate a monarch the appropriate person/s to speak is/are the next monarch/s. Charles made a lovely tribute to his mother ten years ago and I am sure he will do so again.

I think it has no significance at all. He doesn't like doing tv interviews and had to be talked into doing the interviews for his 90th birthday, which I doubt changed his mind on the subject. He doesn't suffer fools easily and some of the questions he was asked on his 90th by Fiona Bruce he clearly found foolish and barely answered them.

It seems that this isn't his style and he just isn't the sentimental type to wear his heart on his sleeve, so I doubt he'd want to deliver public tributes where the public expects him to pour out his feelings. I respect his decision and know that his feelings do run deep for the Queen, and he doesn't have to publicly express them to prove that they exist.

I think he's deeply uncomfortable talking about personal matters. Interview him about looking after Windsor for the last 60 years and he'll happily chat away (with his usual sharp edges always evident), ask him a personal question about how he feels or felt and he basically shuts up shop. Fiona Bruce found that out. He's just old school, not comfortable projecting his thoughts and feelings.

This needs to be moved to the 'Diamond Jubilee' thread.

Here are our memories, with love from the Commonwealth - Telegraph

This is a lovely gesture. There are so many memories and events that took place during the past sixty years, and how lovely that Her Majesty will be able to have the 'best' ten presented to her. I loved reading the fact that Princess Eugenie wrote a note, about the Golden Jubilee celebrations, and her impressions. Very, very sweet gesture. The little boy playing 'Rule Britania' on his trumpet with the dog in the background must be very funny, but touching too. This is probably one of my favorite Jubilee projects. Very personal and meaningful.

And another article for the Jubilee thread.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee: cost of the celebrations
The celebrations for the Diamond Jubilee - an event only celebrated once before in Britain, by Queen Victoria - will centre around a bank holiday weekend running from 2 to 5 June. The Department of Culture Media and Sport has estimated that the extra holiday is likely to cost cost the economy around £1.2bn, although in an impact assessment it noted that this figure could be as high as £3.6bn.

I still think HM's name on the clock tower won't be distinguished from the more famous and encompassing name of Big Ben (I know, it's the clock), but any edifice that's named for her is certainly a fitting and deserving honor.

Windsor Jubilee Celebrations

I impressed my son and daughter in law last week when I took them to see the Long Walk just at the moment Queen Elizabeth was leaving by the back gate. I couldn't have planned it better.

Meanwhile Windsor is looking forward to huge Jubilee celebrations including a parade and muster of 2,500 troops from the army, navy and air force on May 19th. Well worth a visit.

The previous weekend May 10th-13th the traditional Royal Windsor Castle Tattoo is being replaced by a Diamond Jubilee Pageant with the Queen herself attending on the 13th. I have written about it all on the Infobarrel web site.

Windsor Jubilee Parade - InfoBarrel

The Queen
Just over half a century later, Queen Elizabeth II ascended the throne on February 6, 1952, not only as Queen of the United Kingdom but also as the Queen of Pakistan (as Pakistan had still not become a republic). She proclaimed that: “I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong”. Since then, Elizabeth II has been a great example of service and strength of character, not only for the countries in which she is head of state, but for a large part of the world.
A lovely article from Pakistan's point of view. :)

The Queen not to look a Russian gift horse in the mouth
Russian horses at Queen Elizabeth’s coronation anniversary
The skills of Russian horsemen will adorn the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II coronation. Horsemen from the Guard of Honour of the Presidential Regiment and the Kremlin Equestrian Riding School have been invited to take part in ceremonies at Windsor Castle devoted to the 60th anniversary of coronation of Elizabeth II.
The Russian team will present a new programme, says an official of the Kremlin Equestrian Riding School, Oleg Gladyshev. “We prepared the “Traditions of Russia” programme especially for the celebrations that includes elements of Russian “Dzhigitovka” cavalry martial arts. We will present our program from the 10th to the 13th of May before the Queen and the Royal family,” Oleg Gladyshev said.

Back
Top Bottom