The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Celebrations 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen that picture before, but I think my picture's a different one. Thanks for the pic, anyway, it's such a lovely one.

HereditaryPrincess said:
I've seen that picture before, but I think my picture's a different one. Thanks for the pic, anyway, it's such a lovely one.

It'll be the same picture with Serena looking a different way when the camera took it.

I was actually surprised that there wasn't an official portrait taken of The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall and The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge. You know, like the one they did for the Golden Jubilee.

Both my grandmothers were pregnant when George VI died. My dad was born on April 22nd and my mom on August 1st. My parents both celebrated their 60th birthdays this year! Neither remembers the coronation as they were just babies at the time (Dad was just over 13 months and Mom was 10 months).

Your parents are barely older than I am. I was five months old at the time of the coronation (don't remember it! ;)) My parents bought a TV to watch the coronation and invited all their friends, but the reception was too fuzzy!

My parents married 4 days before the Queen's Accession and my brother was born 5 days after the Coronation so I never forget their special days. Of course being in Australia in 1953 there was no TV coverage of the Coronation but they did go and watch it at the movies when the film arrived later that year.

My mother was born just a few months shy of the Coronation. No prizes for guessing what name she was given ;).

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the film of the Coronation was immediately rushed by aeroplane to Canada so that HM's Canadian subjects would see it before their neighbours in the US. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

The Queen will make broadcasting history by appearing in 3D for the first time when she delivers her Christmas message.
Viewers will need special glasses to watch the monarch in all her technological glory unless they have a new 3D television set, which went on sale this year.

Read more: Queen to make TV history with 3D Christmas message | Mail Online

The Queen will make broadcasting history by appearing in 3D for the first time when she delivers her Christmas message.
Viewers will need special glasses to watch the monarch in all her technological glory unless they have a new 3D television set, which went on sale this year.

Read more: Queen to make TV history with 3D Christmas message | Mail Online

A question I always have when reading such articles from the British tabloid sites, is why are the readers' comments underneath for the most part so negative..? Are republicans more eager to comment? do they read more the newspapers? Or are they more in number than what we are officially told?

same thing I thought here, hence brought it up..

A question I always have when reading such articles from the British tabloid sites, is why are the readers' comments underneath for the most part so negative..? Are republicans more eager to comment? do they read more the newspapers? Or are they more in number than what we are officially told?

There is a certain type of person who derives joy in running down people whose lives are more priveleged than their own (be they royal or high paid footballers), especially when they can do it with the anonimity of the internet...it makes them feel smart and witty...and then they likely turn out and cheer when there is a royal visit, wedding, jubilee.

The comment section of the DM is a complete disaster zone. Anyone looking at those comments to make an assessment of public opinion on the royals will not get an accurate picture. Just the other day a poll showed that 80% of the British population supports the monarchy.

I just hope people from overseas don't think those DM comments are reflective of the wider British population. We're not all odious, xenophobic, sexist, racist whingers who weren't taught how to spell, despite evidence to the contrary on that site.

The comment section of the DM is a complete disaster zone. Anyone looking at those comments to make an assessment of public opinion on the royals will not get an accurate picture. Just the other day a poll showed that 80% of the British population supports the monarchy.

I just hope people from overseas don't think those DM comments are reflective of the wider British population. We're not all odious, xenophobic, sexist, racist whingers who weren't taught how to spell, despite evidence to the contrary on that site.

EIIR - Thanks - this made me chuckle after a long day at work. We on this side of the pond have no illusions about the DM - fear not. I still read it for the pictures, the occasional true tidbit, to laugh at the errors in grammar and spelling and because I do like some of the gossip (I admit it).

MY favorite popular press is Vanity Fair magazine - because it goes into quite some detail, has gorgeous pictures ALWAYS and gets a lot of the facts right (not all, but a lot). It's gossipy on a higher plane. It's still gossip, but for example, it has examined the personalities behind the economic meltdowns and recoveries of a number of Euro-zone countries. And it's done it in a way that not only makes you learn about national economies- but about the people who make the decisions about a national economies. Their article on Iceland was GREAT (and a tip of the hat to all the Icelandic members of the forums. I hope your recovery is proceeding apace).

If it makes you feel any better, here in the US - the tabloids (Enquirer, et al) are simply silly, People and US magazines (and the rest of that genre) have reduced their reading level to the sixth grade level - GAK and there is little else to pick from. In some limited ways you should be glad you have the DM!:lol:

I did think there should've been a Royal Gala event to help celebrate The Queen's Diamond Jubilee. With members of the royal family attending. Perhaps there will be an event like that for the 60th Anniversary of Her Majesty's Coronation next year.

There was a concert for the Jubilee this year.

Next year, there is the Festival to celebrate 60 years since the coronation that includes a gala on two evenings (90 pounds a head) while the day event is 30 pounds and will be held in the grounds of BP.

I understand the point that the comments of the viewers in a particular site do not express the majority,but it seems to me that whenever I go over links with royal news from british media, the comments underneath are overwhelmingly of that kind -ironic and antimonarchist. That is to say, it's certainly not a DM symptom.. This is the reason I wondered why the pattern of such anti-royal comments in public forums in such numbers..

See another example here -from yahoo.uk:
UK names slice of Antarctica "Queen Elizabeth Land" - Yahoo! News UK

I understand the point that the comments of the viewers in a particular site do not express the majority,but it seems to me that whenever I go over links with royal news from british media, the comments underneath are overwhelmingly of that kind -ironic and antimonarchist. That is to say, it's certainly not a DM symptom.. This is the reason I wondered why the pattern of such anti-royal comments in public forums in such numbers..

See another example here -from yahoo.uk:
UK names slice of Antarctica "Queen Elizabeth Land" - Yahoo! News UK

Well in my experience , the comment section of any tabloid/newspaper is for people to 'vent' and 'complain' but doesn't represent the public at large

You mentioned the DM, go to any feel good or positive article on their website and read the comments, always negative.

Comment is free and facts are sacred

Last edited:
Jubilee barge goes to Portugal.

Daily Mirror
I think it is a shame that the barge couldn't remain in the UK. Surely it would have been a good investment for a cruise company here.

The astreoid 1998 QE2 makes its closest approach to the Earth in the last two centuries. Isn't that a nice coinceidence?

Wild Speculation Involved In What Royals Might Wear to Westminster Coronation Ceremony

I appreciate this blog but this last article is highly surprising. Of course there will be not "long dresses and tiaras" for the service. It's not a coronation ! The dress code will be the same than the Diamond Jubilee service last year : Day dresses and hats.

"Coronation Dinner" in Le Touquet (France)

Half way between Paris and London, Le Touquet-Paris-Plage (France) has decided to celebrate Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

Indeed, the 2013 British Week in Le Touquet pays tribute to the 60 years since her coronation. As part of its Franco-British festivities, this prestigious resort on the Opal Coast celebrates the Diamond Jubilee of the coronation of the Queen of England.

On the evening of Saturday, November 2, Le Touquet-Paris-Plage will revive the tradition by organising a "Coronation Dinner" on the model of one held there in 1937 for the coronation of His Majesty King George VI.

Under the patronage of the Ambassador of Great Britain to France, Sir Peter Ricketts, the dinner will take place from 8pm in the Great Hall of the Town Hall. The jazz band Le Touquet will perform "60 years of music" referring to the sovereign's reign.

Terms and registration
Dinner by reservation at Le Touquet- Paris-Plage Tourism by phone at 03.21.06.72.00 or by email to : serviceevenements@letouquet.com
Price : 35 € per person. It is possible to book a complete table. Profits will be donated to a charity association. The dress code is defined in one word : elegance !

Attachments

• Affiche British Week 2013.jpg
    Affiche British Week 2013.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 566
  • Hôtel de Ville du Touquet.jpg
    Hôtel de Ville du Touquet.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 371
  • Salle Hôtel de Ville du Touquet.jpg
    Salle Hôtel de Ville du Touquet.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 268
I will be there : if you come, tell it to me, please.

Thank you.

Gualbert

Details of a special gift made to the Queen from the Royal Academy of Art. The works of art will be on public displayas part of a special exhibition. I wonder what will happen to them afterwards.

BBC News ( see further link from page to details of the exhibition)

The Royal Family on the balcony of Buckingham Palace:

Back
Top Bottom