The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-16-2018, 03:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Since the CoE is the established state church in England, it is natural that the Royal Family should regularly attend CoE services associated with official public celebrations (like the RAF Centenary or Commonwealth Remembrance days). What is being discussed in this forum, however, is whether royals attend regular church services as private citizens and not in connection with any official function. I think the overall impression is that the Queen does,.
Yes, she is a regular church goer and a devout Christian...

Old 01-24-2020, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The most frequently used churches by Her Majesty the Queen for Sunday Church Services are :

St George's Chapel Windsor
St. Mary Magdalene Church,Sandringham
Crathie Kirk Church ,Balmoral in Scotland
St Mary the Virgin Hillington near Sandringham

I'm sure there are a few others

Old 01-24-2020, 04:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Charles is IMO the most regular church goer bar the Queen. Wasn’t it Paul Burrell (can’t stand him but hey) who said Charles would have an alter set up at home to pray at while Diana could never see the point if they weren’t at a church. He also has a number of friends (so called or actual who knows) who are ministers etc.

I’ve had the impression Andrew may attend church at windsor as a way to see his mother (which doesn’t say much about his own faith) and the fact the Royal Chapel of All saints is basically in his front garden at Royal Lodge.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:17 PM
Majesty

Where does the Queen attend Church services when she is in London and at BP? Or Charles at Clarence House, for that matter as he too regularly attends church.

I think the Chapel at Buckingham Palace was destroyed by a bomb during the war and the space afterwards converted to something else, so there's no private place of worship in the Palace any more. I suppose the Queen could attend services at St James Chapel but I've never read of her doing so.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

My understanding is The Queen is always at Windsor at the weekend, therefore St George’s Chapel. Even if she happens to be at BP on a Sunday, Windsor is 40 minutes away.

However I might be wrong in that she doesn’t got to a church near London.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:05 PM
Courtier

I was under the impression that the church she attends most Sundays at Windsor is the Royal Chapel of All Saints partly for privacy and partly to avoid causing disruption for regular worshipers at St George's Chapel. She will attend St George's for Easter and Christmas back when they stayed at Windsor for Christmas.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:46 PM
Courtier

I'll be interested to see who goes with the Queen to Easter service.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Probably the usual crowd - the Wessex's, Anne and her children, maybe the Linley's and Chatto's, the York's and maybe the Cambridge's.

Charles and Camilla will be, as usual, in Scotland. The Cambridge's maybe in Norfolk. Otherwise I would expect the rest to attend (Andrew may give the 'public' side of attending a miss but I would be surprised if he didn't attend as Easter Sunday is a mandatory day to attend communion in the CoE as is Christmas Day which is why he was seen attending the communion service but not the later matins service).
Old 01-25-2020, 03:26 AM
Nobility

Thank God, Queen Elizabeth, Scotland’s sovereign is never at home in Scotland for the Christian feast of Christmas as celebrated in her Church of England: Christmas in Scotland was traditionally observed very quietly, because the Church of Scotland – a Presbyterian church – for various blatant anti catholic and anti English reasons.

In “miserable” Scotland Christmas Day only became a public holidays in 1958 in Scotland and Boxing Day in 1974.The pagan New Year's Eve festivity, Hogmanay, was by far the largest celebration in Scotland. Anglican Christians are a tiny minority in Scotland so HM has to make do with those cold kirks around Balmoral in August-September.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I'll be interested to see who goes with the Queen to Easter service.
The Queen traditionally attends Easter Sunday Service at St George's chapel ,Windsor and its normally all family event.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I think the Wessexes seem to be quite regular churchgoers too. They always seem to be with HM the most when they're staying at Sandringham, and I think Edward has been photographed going to church with HM during their private visits to Windsor. Of course this could just be to accompany HM, though.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-25-2020, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Countess in particular seems to attend church with her mother in law
Old 01-25-2020, 06:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The Queen traditionally attends Easter Sunday Service at St George's chapel ,Windsor and its normally all family event.
Except for Charles and Camilla who spend Easter in Scotland.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Except for Charles and Camilla who spend Easter in Scotland.
Which church do Charles and Camilla attend on Easter Sunday?
Old 01-25-2020, 09:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

It isn't always revealed - sometimes Craithie Church where the Queen goes when at Balmoral.

As it isn't an official engagement for any of the royals where they go isn't always covered by the media.

Last year, for instance, the media only focussed on Harry attending solo at Windsor (Meghan was heavily pregnant at the time of course) and there was no coverage of where Charles and Camilla went.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:16 PM
Majesty

Iluvbertie, Thank you for mentioning that the church schedule is not always publicized. If it was, would the congregation only attend the service at the church to see the Royals or to worship the Lord?
Old 01-26-2020, 04:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Generally the churches that the royals attend are ones where the regular parishioners continue to worship but it is harder for a stranger to simply turn up.

I once went to The Queen's Chapel at St James' - by accident - and I asked if any of the royals ever attend that chapel and was told 'yes' and so I asked would I have been able to attend if they were present and was told 'maybe'. They would have asked some questions - such as by beliefs to confirm that I was there to worship and not simply to gawk.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I imagine, in regards to the Sandringham Church, St Mary Magdalene's (and possibly Craithie Church at Balmoral) most of the worshippers are estate employees or residents of estate properties who attend regularly so its not too hard to distinguish between actual worshippers and gawkers.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:37 PM
Royal Highness

Angry

I'm not sure where this should go but Sheffield Anglican Cathedral is to disband its choir. I wonder what HM would think of this. It's very sad.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...iscordant-note

I think the cathedral authorities trying to justify this cultural vandalism under the banner of diversity is pretty contemptible & disingenuous. Listen to what is being destoyed.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:30 PM
Royal Highness

That is sad. I wonder if it's also to do with money and possibly thinking it will get more bums on seats. Lots of Cathedral choirs were struggling anyway and have lost a lot of income as well as not being able to sing for a while to come as well.

Several Cathedrals I know have "diverse modern Anglican music" groups, choirs, services as well as the traditional choir. And those singing in the "traditional choir" are definitely not all white either. There are plenty of large churches where you can here worship music for hours on end, I'm not sure Cathedrals should join them - at least regularly.

Tags
balmoral, church attendance, church of england, church of scotland, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, religion, sandringham, windsor