The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-27-2019, 05:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

This 'rumour' about the Queen asking for a Regency when she turns 95 has been doing the rounds since Philip retired if not earlier. It is just that a 'rumour'. I imagine what happened was someone asked her if she would like to 'retire' in the same way that Philip had and she replied something like 'if I reach his age it would be tempting' and away it goes to 'she is going to 'retire' when she turns 95.

It is the same sort of Chinese whispers that have been around for approaching 30 years now that Charles is going to have a smaller royal family and will simply cut off his siblings and mother's cousins.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:44 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
No regent in the UK has any constitutional role whatsoever in these realms.
New Zealand has actually explicitly dealt with this, unlike most (I guess it's easy for a unitary state with a supreme parliament). The UK's regent is automatically New Zealand's regent according to Section 4 of the Constitution Act.

Old 11-28-2019, 02:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
New Zealand has actually explicitly dealt with this, unlike most (I guess it's easy for a unitary state with a supreme parliament). The UK's regent is automatically New Zealand's regent according to Section 4 of the Constitution Act.
Thank you informing me on this. I'm surprised though that the kiwis have this in their constitution. On the other hand I guess it makes for convenience if nothing else & any regent would be the next in line for the NZ throne anyway.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:01 PM
Serene Highness

I would say she would reduce her workload but I would be doubtful with regards abdication.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think she is even discussing 'abdication'. That wouldn't result in a Regency but in a full blown succession. What is being 'rumoured' is retirement. She would therefore not do the day to day job of being the monarch. Charles would. She would probably appear once or twice a year - Trooping the Colour and Remembrance Sunday for instance.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I think anybody at her age should have the right to rest and live a tranquil life.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen will never abdicate - but the Regency is interesting. If she chooses to go that route, does that mean she'd be admitting she's not up to the job? Based on what I've read, I think it would be more along the lines of just wanting to spend however many years she has left with her husband. She became Queen at such a young age and has carried the burden of responsibility so magnificently. Maybe she just feels like taking it easy now - and IF she felt this way, I couldn't blame her, especially if she felt good about leaving the monarchy in Charles' hands.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
The Queen will never abdicate - but the Regency is interesting. If she chooses to go that route, does that mean she'd be admitting she's not up to the job? Based on what I've read, I think it would be more along the lines of just wanting to spend however many years she has left with her husband. She became Queen at such a young age and has carried the burden of responsibility so magnificently. Maybe she just feels like taking it easy now - and IF she felt this way, I couldn't blame her, especially if she felt good about leaving the monarchy in Charles' hands.
Technically, other than in the situation where the King is a minor, a regency is only in place when the monarch has been declared incapable of reigning. That means the monarch is suspended from exercising all royal powers and prerogatives.

A regency therefore is not equivalent to retirement, much less partial retirement, and cannot be used for that purpose. In fact, the law says that a declaration of incapacity needs a specific cause and, in the case that cause is an infirmity of body or mind, it requires medical evidence.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

I just remember her speech to the country after her father died...she pledged her life to the country, be it long or short. Unless she has a serious health issue I think she will remain Queen until she passes.

LaRae
Old 11-28-2019, 09:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

The law can always be changed or amended. I am sure if HM went to the PM and said 'I am tired and want to retire but not abdicate. Please amend the Regency Act to allow for this to happen as when the Act was passed it wasn't probably wasn't foreseen that a monarch would reign for 70 or so years' that the PM would very quickly introduce and pass the legislation to allow for that to happen.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:09 PM
Majesty

While a law can be changed a vow cannot and she vowed to work for her whole life whether it be long or short on her 21st Birthday. A Regency can only go into effect if she is mentally impaired. I think we can look forward to seeing a whole lot more of Charles and Camilla, the Wessexes, perhaps Anne and Tim, the Cambridges, the Sussexes and perhaps even Beatrice and Eugenie filling out spaces at official events.

A State Dinner or something like the Diplomatic Dinner, etc. are not just about the meal. It is about the ability to make small talk, make the guests feel welcome and comfortable and while we have so many insisting Charles will pare things down to the bare bones, there are occasions that need actual people to represent the Country. It's called soft diplomacy and HM is the leading expert on just how to achieve what is needed.

At this point, HM calls on her cousins as well as her immediate family and some senior staff. And with Brexit, this has changed as we have seen the with the increased number of overseas visits, the networking, the soft diplomacy or we would see more clearly if the media wasn't trying to recycle old news.

I think we may possibly see HM retreating to just appear as hostess for State occasions and the trooping of the colour, opening of Parliament, etc. Apart from that, I think she is going to marshall her troops to best effect and limit her workload even if she takes to working with Charles on official business and Charles has William overseeing the Duchy of Cornwall.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If anyone knows what is needed to be done in the role of a monarch, its the Queen. Every so often it crops up that she's going to "turn it all over to Charles" and ride her Fell pony off into the sunset. That will never happen. As you've stated, Marg, there are just some things that she will never refrain from doing as long as she physically and mentally can because of that vow she made. She takes that vow as seriously today as the day she made it so long ago.

The Queen doesn't have her head in the clouds but is a pragmatist when it comes to her monarchy and as time passes, I think she also realizes that at 93 years old, the spirit may be willing but the body is protesting more and more as time passes and, for the smooth running of her monarchy and all that it entails, she knows what she needs to do and what she doesn't. Turn a bulk of it over to the "younger" heir (who actually is going full speed ahead when most men his age are riding off in their golf carts into the sunset).

Queen Elizabeth II has never shirked her duty and I don't see her starting now. It just means too much to her.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:02 AM
Majesty

If retirement is the goal, then I think abdication would be a more appropriate route than a regency , which, as Muriel said, only applies to situations where the monarch is incapacitated.

Unfortunately abdication would require new legislation not only in the UK , but also in several Commonwealth realms , which means it could be a long and complex process. Furthermore , Charles’ accession may be a turbulent time when there might be renewed calls for republican referenda in countries like Australia, Barbados, Jamaica, maybe even New Zealand . and, if one of those dominos fall, especially Australia, the shock waves may even reach Canada ( the oldest Dominion).

I believe HM takes all of the above into consideration..
Old 11-29-2019, 06:38 AM
Aristocracy

The Queen will not be abdicating and she has made that abundantly clear. It is tied up with her deep Christian faith and the vow she took at her coronation - to serve for the length of her life.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:51 AM
Royal Highness

The Queen will never abdicate - however the regency will come into affect soon - I am guessing next year. If the Queen doesn't pass away before.
I also think that it has been agreed that Charles and William and later George will then follow the Dutch manner of abdication - so that we never get to the point where the monarchy is out of touch with their people and there is too many royals in duty. I also feel it it far to allow royals a change to retire.
Mind you , however, I do not think the monarchy will survive for this to happen. I expect the UK to be a republic before 2030.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
The Queen will never abdicate - however the regency will come into affect soon - I am guessing next year. If the Queen doesn't pass away before.
I also think that it has been agreed that Charles and William and later George will then follow the Dutch manner of abdication - so that we never get to the point where the monarchy is out of touch with their people and there is too many royals in duty. I also feel it it far to allow royals a change to retire.
Mind you , however, I do not think the monarchy will survive for this to happen. I expect the UK to be a republic before 2030.

That topic should be discussed in the "Future of the Monarchy " forum, but I don't think the UK will be a republic before 2030. As I said , I do think however that the end of Queen Elizabeth II's reign might accelerate the transition to a republic in realms where the republican movement is backed by at least one of the mainsteam parties that alternate in government, e.g. Australia, Barbados, Jamaica, and maybe New Zealand.

Abdication or even a regency may anticipate that process, which, in any case, will happen eventually as the Queen is already 93 and, like all of us, she is not eternal.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Every so often these Media rumors driven circulate about an Abdication which I can't see happening under QEII , however a Regency under the Prince of Wales is not that far fetched given the queens age.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

I could see a regency as her health declines.

LaRae
Old 11-29-2019, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I think she will never ever retire. She will fulfil her duties until she dies.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Certainly, the next 5-7 years will bring about enormous changes within the British Royal Family. (deaths/ births) Time marches on and waits for no one, royals included. While this sad fact makes me a little melancholy. However, it will be engaging to see the evolution these changes bring about. Specifically regarding QEII, God Save the Queen.

Tags
abdication, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, regency, retirement