The Queen, the Royal Family and the Commonwealth

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There cannot realistically be any suggestion that HM should be followed by anyone other than Charles, and after him William. No one with a really high public profile across the world would exactly be lining up for it. Equally, a former PM of Australia or Pakistan or Barbados etc. etc. would simply not be able to bring to the organisation the kind of PR it needs to justify its existence.

Say what you like about the Commonwealth, the BRF play an enormous role in keeping it relevant. I suspect that, if you take away that personal connection, something would be lost from it. It's doing good things across a whole range of sectors and it would be sad to see it diminished.

I think the problem with it being anyone other than Charles, William etc, is that it risks turning the position into a political position and therefore would lack the ability to unify an organisation of very, very diverse nations.

For example, if it were a rotating position between heads of government, there is no way Margaret Thatcher could have been acceptable to African and Caribbean nations given her position on sanctions against South Africa. Likewise some heads of state/governmanet may be considered to have unacceptable human rights records.

We only have to see from the choice of Olympic and football world cup venues how non-political decisions can become geo-political rows or open to bribery. What should be a simple decision based on who is best for the job, has the potential to become divisive.

I can understand the argument that Charles will only be monarch of a limited number of countries in the commonwealth (and William and George probably even fewer) and therefore why should he be head of the commonwealth. There is too, the uncomfortable reminder of Britain's colonial past. I am also generally predisposed against inherited titles and positions but, in this case, I genuinely believe the King or Queen is best placed to be the unifying force. Charles has spent his life visiting commonwealth countries and William and George will do the same over their lives. Who else would have had the contact with all the commonwealth countries that they will.

I have only seen confirmation for Prince Charles and Prince Edward.
My guess is that Camilla’s participation would depend on the length of the trip. She doesn’t handle long-distance travel well, so I assume if Charles is only in Australia for a couple of days she won’t go.

According to NT News (Northern Territories) Charles is visiting there in April. This is what it says on the page (further info requires subscription and I don't have one)

"PRINCE Charles will visit the Northern Territory in early April – soon after he opens the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast.The NT News can reveal plans are in place for the 69-year-old Prince of Wales to visit the Territory."

Cepe - small correction if I may.

It is the Northern Territory - singular not plural.

It is one of the two territories in Australia - the other being the ACT (Australian Capital Territory).

This is a link to a bit more - but be warned you only get a limited number of articles per month with this one https://www.theaustralian.com.au/ne...s/news-story/8ffa75d318c72a0e92768cc96b5b33fb

Given how hot the Top End gets I can understand Camilla not wanting to visit in April. I did so in June/July and was wearing shorts and t-shirts the entire time but froze at night unless in winter PJs and the warmest level sleeping bag I could get.

The Times has an article today saying that Harry will take on a senior role with the Commonwealth, particularly as a kind of youth ambassador. I was unsure where to post this but figured this was the best place.

Prince Harry will take on an official leadership role with the Commonwealth in a bid to attract new generations to the organisation.

In a significant boost to his position within the royal family — and in an effort to cement the monarchy’s ties to the member nations — Harry is expected formally to accept a new role at the Commonwealth heads of government meeting in London, which will run from April 16 to 20.

Senior royal sources confirmed that the prince will play a leading part at the summit, which is to be hosted by the Queen.

[...]

Harry, 33, is keen to carve out a distinct role for himself after his marriage in May to the American former actress Meghan Markle, 36, and he sees a Commonwealth position as a fitting tribute to his grandmother’s legacy.

It is thought there is already agreement among the Commonwealth heads for Harry to adopt a “youth leadership” role and he is expected to speak at the summit’s Commonwealth Youth Forum.

The move could also assist a smooth transition of the Commonwealth headship from the Queen, 91, to the Prince of Wales, 69.

[...]

Harry may also take on an ambassadorial role with the Commonwealth Games. Charles will open this year’s games on Australia’s Gold Coast and had opened the Delhi games in 2010.

Harry’s involvement with the Commonwealth is strongly supported by the government. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office is keen to capitalise on his and Markle’s global appeal. In their engagement interview Markle said: “There is so much work to do in the Commonwealth.”

In October the couple will visit Sydney for the Invictus Games and royal sources have indicated plans to expand the trip into an official tour of Australia and New Zealand.

[...]

Dr Sue Onslow, deputy director of the Institute of Commonwealth Studies at the University of London, said: “It’s a very astute move giving Prince Harry a non-political, global role, drawing on his charisma and energy to help keep the Commonwealth and its headship relevant to a younger generation. This is soft-power diplomacy.”

A royal source added: “Prince Harry has enjoyed his work on youth-led issues throughout the Commonwealth on behalf of the Queen and the institution. He will continue to expand on that and will be very visible at the heads of government meeting.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/prince-harry-to-take-commonwealth-role-f98q9qc22

Harry getting such a big role is amazing. Frankly I thought William would be getting such a role because he is a future King. I wonder if Meghan will be attending with Harry, especially for his formal appointment?

I think Harry is being picked for this role because it will include a lot of travelling and William, as a future King, will need to have most of his focus on the UK. That will be even more the case when he's Prince of Wales.

Equally, Harry doesn't have kids at this point so the travelling will be easier. I know he really wants kids but it could be a couple of years before that happens, particularly if Meghan takes a bit of time to come to terms with her new life. I know she's 36 but a bit of a gap between wedding and first child wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.

As well as that, Harry has a personality that's probably more suited to this role - very outgoing, energetic, quite young at heart while I think William is more mature and controlled. Harry has certain freedoms that William just doesn't.

I think Harry got the role as he is so good with young people and also because he and Meghan need a role and W&K as future Prince/Princess of Wales and future King/Queen have a role making official visits around the world not just in Commonwealth countries.

It might already have been in the works given that they emphasised the Commonwealth in the engagement interview. Seems a perfect fit.

As to the why Harry not William, it makes sense that William primarily focuses on the UK and representing the queen (and king in future years). At some point he will most likely take over the headship of the Commonwealth, so he will be involved with the Commonwealth as well but in a different role.

Since Prince Harry will be involved in the youth forum, I wonder if Meghan will have a role in the Commonwealth Women's forum?

Tomorrow Catherine and Sophie are hosting a reception at Buckingham Palace for The Commonwealth Fashion Exchange

Apparently both Charles and Camilla are going to Australia:flowers:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/members/rudolph-78903.html
Rudolph
Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall will attend the opening of the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast in Australia in April, Clarence House says.

Via Richard Palmer Twitter

Charles and Camilla will visit Australia in April. The Prince and Duchess are due in Brisbane to open @GC2018 on behalf of the Queen. The Prince will then travel to Queensland and the Northern Territory

Via Chris Ship Twitter

When it was first announced it was assumed Camilla was coming with Charles for the Commonwealth Games and then two weeks ago it was reported she wasn't but there were reports he was going solo to the NT. Now we have the confirmation it seems - she is coming for a few days for the Games and then he is going solo through Qld and the NT. Maybe she could go somewhere nice and cool and wait for him there e.g. Tassie is lovely this time of year - not too hot and not to cold and some lovely places to stay and maybe have some relaxation time.

In addition Edward is coming to Australia from the 10th - 16th (source is the FE).

I guess this belongs here: https://www.bt.dk/underholdning/teenager-forsoegte-at-draebe-dronning-elizabeth-ll-i-1981

Papers released today by SIS, the British security service, tells of an assassination attempt on QEII in New Zealand back in 1981.
Christopher Lewis, a then 17 year old, mentally disturbed man fired shots at QEII's car when she visited the town of Dunedin.

At the time no one noticed anything. However, shortly after Christopher Lewis was arrested for an armed robbery in connection with being questioned he also made a rambling confession of his attempt to kill QEII.
That was initially regarded with skepticism but a further investigation led them to the rifle he had used and spend cartridges inside the house from which he had fired the shots.
Christopher Lewis claimed to be acting on behalf of a right wing group called National Imperial Guerilla Army - which consisted of three members...

It was decided it was better to cover this genuine assassination attempt up, so he was only charged with robbery and illegal possession of a firearm.

A report concluded that Christopher Lewis did intend to kill QEII, but his rifle wasn't good enough for the purpose nor was his vantage point ideal
for such an attempt.
He committed suicide in prison in 1997.

---------

More info can be found at New Zealand Herald.

Last edited:
I was living in Australia at the time and can't really recall this incident. Probably the press then and now decided that, as this boy was quite obviously disturbed, the best approach was to soft pedal it, lest several more mentally afflicted people read saw headlines, absorbed the publicity and decided to copy-cat.

Meghan is joining the family for Commonwealth Day on the 12th. I am actually surprised.

THE QUEEN AND MEMBERS OF THE ROYAL FAMILY CELEBRATE COMMONWEALTH DAY 2018

Monday 12th March 2018

Her Majesty The Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, accompanied by the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle, the Duke of York, the Princess Royal, the Countess of Wessex, the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra will attend the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey on Commonwealth Day – Monday 12th March.

Organised by the Royal Commonwealth Society, the Commonwealth Service is the largest annual inter-faith gathering in the United Kingdom. The service will be broadcast live on BBC One and across BBC World Service, in celebration of Her Majesty's lifetime commitment to the Commonwealth.

The Commonwealth represents a global network of 53 countries and almost 2.4 billion people, of whom 60 per cent are under 30 years old.

Last edited:
I don't get why it is a surprise? I'd be more surprised if she wasn't there.

LaRae

I believe Camila Tominey was the first one to break the news regarding Meghan's role during the Commonwealth Events. I think it sends a clear message she is set to become an involved and working Royal.

I believe Camila Tominey was the first one to break the news regarding Meghan's role during the Commonwealth Events. I think it sends a clear message she is set to become an involved and working Royal.

Camilla reported on Meghan participating in CHOGM, which is separate from commonwealth day, but it does seem to indicate a bigger possibility of involvement in CHOGM than if she doesn’t attend Commonwealth Day service.

I don't get why it is a surprise? I'd be more surprised if she wasn't there.

LaRae

No reason really. I just didn't expect it because it is such a royal event and she technically is not one yet. The others I understood. Not upset about it. I am thrilled and now I do think there is some truth to her being involved in CHOGM afterall.

Meghan is seen as a full member right now. Kind of amazing.

ACO I agree that she is really being considered a full family member even before the couple marries. IMO this should send a clear signal that the Queen and the rest of royal family is doing everything that they can to welcome her.?

I think it's great. Why not let her take part...she's working hard behind the scenes already in order to get up to speed on everything.

I fully expect her to be at CHOGM and any other big events between now and May 19th.

LaRae

Just more evidence that the huge machine which is the BRF is undergoing well-planned change and rejuvenation - let's just hope that they don't let too much 'light in on the magic'!

So Meghan is attending the Commonwealth Day service. Wow. Is this standard for a royal fiancee to attend because I thought she wouldn't be able to attend an event like this until next year, after she's been married.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, fiancees don't usually attend this service. I can't remember whether Sophie attended before her marriage, she did go to several official and semi official events, but Kate didn't go.

I think Meghan is going because it's considered important for her to be introduced to many different aspects of the Royal year and to Commonwealth events which, as a foreign national, she may not have been aware of.

I also feel the family just making it very clear to anyone in denial that she is one of them and they are supporting her 100%. I think it is a clever tactic to be honest. Also no better way for her to learn than to be hands on. She has the background. Use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom