The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-29-2020, 05:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

"This week, The Queen spoke to three winners of the Commonwealth Points of Light award to celebrate their achievements

��Each week The Queen awards one volunteer from across the commonwealth with a Points of Light award in recognition of their outstanding initiatives��"

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...274754/photo/2
https://twitter.com/i/status/1333169615917232129

Old 02-22-2021, 04:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

A special programme to be broadcast on BBC One will replace this year's Commonwealth Day service.

"The annual service had been due to take place on Monday 8th March, attended by Her Majesty The Queen and members of the Royal Family, but will not go ahead due to the pandemic.
Instead, HM The Queen will share her annual message in 'A Celebration for Commonwealth Day', which will be broadcast on Sunday 7th March on BBC One.

TRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and HRH The Countess of Wessex will also take part in the programme, sharing their perspectives on the importance of our Commonwealth links."

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/ab...mmonwealth-day

Old 02-22-2021, 05:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
A special programme to be broadcast on BBC One will replace this year's Commonwealth Day service.

"The annual service had been due to take place on Monday 8th March, attended by Her Majesty The Queen and members of the Royal Family, but will not go ahead due to the pandemic.
Instead, HM The Queen will share her annual message in 'A Celebration for Commonwealth Day', which will be broadcast on Sunday 7th March on BBC One.

TRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and HRH The Countess of Wessex will also take part in the programme, sharing their perspectives on the importance of our Commonwealth links."

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/ab...mmonwealth-day

Couldn't a service be held virtually too? Several churches have been doing it during lockdowns throughout the pandemic.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Pandemic or no pandemic, the Queen and her monarchy always finds a way to ensure that what needs to be done *will* be done even though it's different and not the traditional way things have been done in the past. The monarchy and the "Firm" adapts and adjusts and goes on with what they do somehow. I have to admire that immensely.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Couldn't a service be held virtually too? Several churches have been doing it during lockdowns throughout the pandemic.
Perhaps a Service will be included in the broadcast .
Old 02-22-2021, 06:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Perhaps a Service will be included in the broadcast .

The link mentioned that the broadcast would include prayers and blessings. I don't know if that qualifies as a full service in the Anglican liturgy, but, you are right, there will definitely be some religious component to it.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:35 PM
Serene Highness

Details from Buckingham Palace on the Royal Family's participation in BBC's "A Celebration for Commonwealth Day" at Sunday 7th March.

Picture 1 | Picture 2 | Picture 3 | Picture 4

Pictures from Roya Nikkhah
https://twitter.com/RoyaNikkhah/stat...74708803973121
Old 03-07-2021, 12:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Details from Buckingham Palace on the Royal Family's participation in BBC's "A Celebration for Commonwealth Day" at Sunday 7th March.

Picture 1 | Picture 2 | Picture 3 | Picture 4

Pictures from Roya Nikkhah
https://twitter.com/RoyaNikkhah/stat...74708803973121

The full 2021 Commonwealth Day broadcast on YouTube.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Queen's Commonwealth Day Message 2021

Old 03-07-2021, 01:39 PM
Royal Highness

I watched the whole service and it was good.

I liked what the Dean said about the importance of the Commonwealth at the beginning and that High Commissioners visit the Abbey on National Days.

I really liked the Lord's Prayer from around the commonwealth and blessings from many different faith communities around the commonwealth as well. And the many lovely musical performances.

In terms of the royals Good speeches from HM and Prince Charles.

I'm really glad Camilla got to talk about her reading room.

It was also nice to see the video of the calls William, Kate and Sophie were making that we'd already seen the pictures of and the people involved, there's so much incredibly worthwhile work that needs to be recognised.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:27 PM
Majesty

I wonder why the Princess Royal and the Earl of Wessex were not involved in the broadcast.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Big change from last year but likely got more viewers this year then ever before. One side of covid more people home and around to watch something. Not out on a Sunday with family doing activities and more.

The queen was wonderful as always to listen to.

I always enjoy Charles though. He is by far my favorite royal to listen to

I am happy to have Camilla and her reading program involved. I like hearing her talk about reading with her dad when she was little. Both on line learning and just plain reading and having access through on line has become so much bigger during covid. In ways it has opened doors for kids in certain areas to books they may never have had.

I'd have liked to see Anne or Edward involved.

Honestly the zoom call parts of Kate/William/Sophie didn't really ad much for me.

The performances were wonderful. Lovely mix showing the diversity in the commonwealth. A wonderful celebration.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

They had probably better things to do than take part in a programme about an organisation and a day that is meaningless for the vast majority of the people who live in Commonwealth countries.

The day isn't acknowledged, for instance, in Australia other than by the GG. For ordinary Australians it isn't a 'day' at all.

If it wasn't for having an interest in the BRF I would never have heard of Commonwealth Day and I am in my mid-60s but it isn't a thing here.

The only thing the Commonwealth means to most Aussies is the chance to dominate the Commonwealth Games every four years but otherwise it is a meaningless organisation.

It had some meaning before the UK abandoned it to join the EEC when there was a trade agreement called 'Empire Preference' but since the UK felt that the EEC offered them a better deal the rest of us have made out own trade arrangements and more than likely with non-Commonwealth countries as with them.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well you are Australian, not a royal.

The British royals usually take their role in the commonwealth seriously. Not brushing it off as 'just another day'.

I don't see Anne, who takes duty as important as her mother does, looking down her nose and saying 'its not important enough for my time'.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I wonder why the Princess Royal and the Earl of Wessec were not involved in the broadcast.
It was probably due to lack of time because the program was not just a showcase for the royal family. Of course the queen and Charles would participate but the others were probably chosen based on the Commonwealth's priorities. It seems that the themes things year are unity, environment, education, women's issues, and health.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

The only thing the Commonwealth means to most Aussies is the chance to dominate the Commonwealth Games every four years but otherwise it is a meaningless organisation.

Well, England beat you in Glasgow 2014 . That must have hurt !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Well you are Australian, not a royal.

The British royals usually take their role in the commonwealth seriously. Not brushing it off as 'just another day'.

I don't see Anne, who takes duty as important as her mother does, looking down her nose and saying 'its not important enough for my time'.

And for many people, especially in the poorer countries, the Commonwealth and Commonwealth programs actually make a difference. I am glad that those more disadavantaged communities were the focus of today's broadcast.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:11 PM
Royal Highness

That's definitely a positive of the Commonwealth. In a world dominated by organisations like the G20 the Commonwealth does give a platform for smaller countries to make their voices heard.

Australians should be made to compete with one hand tied behind their back. They win far too often & it goes to their heads.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

It was a lovely service, if of course different to usual. It isn't really a day here either certainly other than pics of the RF turning up to the usual church service it isn't really known about but I think it is important to the Queen and a good way to focus minds on the Commonwealth - even if it is only those who already care about it.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Well, England beat you in Glasgow 2014 . That must have hurt !
Not really as that was two years after the London Olympics and everyone knows that the home country from one Olympics will do well in international competitions for the next two Olympic cycles as they spend so much money developing medal prospects to do well at those home Olympics and there is a residual effect.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:52 PM
Courtier

Not sure if anyone else saw it, but the 3.5 hour 1969 documentary was on YouTube. I watched about 1/2 of it before falling asleep and planned on watching the rest of it today. It has been removed. The parts I saw were very interesting, and it was great seeing the family young and spry. I thought she had decided to release it due to DoE’s passing. I hope she changes her mind.

Tags
british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, fiji, queen elizabeth ii