The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Isnít that in line with the general precedence the last decade or so? The wives of British Princes come after the British Princesses when not accompanied by their husbandís?
Supposedly but itís rarely ever actually seen. Catherine was at the Remembrance concert without William and she kept her precedence.

If we assume a blood princess outranks a wife and William wasnít there today Catherine, as future Queen would be stuck in back middle row.

But I havenít seen it applied to Camilla or Catherine. They both seem to retain their precedence.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I might be alone in not caring too much about Meghanís presence here - whatís struck me more is the Duke of Edinburghís absence. I know heís retired, but this picture of the Queen and her family really struck me without the DoE by her side.

Interestingly, I think had Meghan not been with Harry, he would have ended up seated in the front row, beside Kate, instead of in the second row - thereís a space beside Kate that looks like itís supposed to have a chair.
Yeah, I know what you mean. It was weird seeing her without him and it became a slap in reality that it could be that way soon. He is not getting any younger. I think the set up made sense. It was 11 of them all together. If DoE was there then Harry likely would have been in the back for balance sake. Same with this. 6 in front and 7 in back. But yes if Meghan was not there and no DoE then he likely would have still been in the front.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Harry and Meghan's reaction to Liam's song is hilarious.

https://twitter.com/anitathetweeter/...32735903977479
Ha! This was exactly my reaction. I found it so absolutely bizarre that Liam Payne was singing at this service, it made absolutely no sense whatsoever and he isn't even the greatest ex one direction band member. Frankly I find his fist bumping un-necessary.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:00 PM
Majesty

I wonder whether Meghan's confirmation was done last week to make sure she was a church member before this service. She is also getting some experience in an Anglican (televised) service before her wedding day.

Or is the Commonwealth service not considered an Anglican service?
Old 03-12-2018, 03:02 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I wonder whether Meghan's confirmation was done last week to make sure she was a church member before this service. She is also getting some experience in an Anglican (televised) service before her wedding day.

Or is the Commonwealth service not considered an Anglican service?
Nope, it is considered an inter-faith gathering representing the variety of faiths in the Commonwealth.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
notice how the camera turned away from them right at that point. i guess it wouldn't be great if social media starts talking about how 'meghan laughed at harry singing in church'.

yes, that happens to some people. a friend of mine has it and she describes it as a reaction to realising that you are actually in a difficult / anxiety-causing situation. i guess it is due to this being meghan's first 'important' event, with the presence of the queen and all the family. also, i guess she never probably saw that 'religious' side of harry in the past, and she always met him in more informal situations. i'd say it is the reaction of the sudden realisation of what is to come for her - that she will indeed be a high-ranking member of a powerful family, where this pomp and circumstance is the norm, with all the excitement and the nervousness that comes with it.
She joined them for the Christmas service, and he joined her for her baptism and confirmation service, so not completely new, but first time on his side 'in public'.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
I will say I personally found the performance to be rather...well not to my liking but I am also not a fan of Liam's voice.
Liam is a poor singer, so that is hardly surprising. But were Harry and Meghan reacting to Liam's underwhelming performance or something else ?
Old 03-12-2018, 04:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Nothing rude happened folks.
In your opinion.

Others disagree.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
In your opinion.

Others disagree.
This service was suppose to be a joyous celebration. It wasn’t a funeral. I think people just need to relax and stop trying to be more royal than the royals. It’s okay to have a little giggle and smile. It’s not a good look to sit there and look like a bunch of sourpusses.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Sometimes the way you word things, Dman, it does sound like you're telling people what's what and how they should look at things as if they're facts and not your own personal opinion. Just as stating "there's nothing rude here folks" is your own personal opinion that there is nothing rude to be seen.

You do make some really good points but I can see where it might serve you better to express an opinion as an opinion rather than telling folks what's what. State your opinion and leave what other people should do or think out of it. This bit of advice has served me well over the years.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Anyone know why the the Kents, the Earl of Wessex, the Duke of Gloucester and Commander Sir Tim Lawrence did not attend Today ?
The Earl of Wessex will attend the launch of the Merseyside and Cheshire Commonwealth Association and The Duke of Edinburgh's Award Exporting Programme, Chester Racecourse, Chester.

No idea about the rest of them, but I expect they either had engagements or it was decided they didn’t all need to come. This is the biggest turnout for the service yet I think.

P.S.
The Duke of Gloucester is in Malawi.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Sometimes the way you word things, Dman, it does sound like you're telling people what's what and how they should look at things as if they're facts and not your own personal opinion. Just as stating "there's nothing rude here folks" is your own personal opinion that there is nothing rude to be seen.

You do make some really good points but I can see where it might serve you better to express an opinion as an opinion rather than telling folks what's what. State your opinion and leave what other people should do or think out of it. This bit of advice has served me well over the years.
I’m sorry, but it’s just get to me when folks get bent out of shape over a slight giggle or smile. If this was a state funeral, it’s all very understandable, but a smile and giggle at a joyous celebration is “rude.” C’mon now!

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Another little tweak on precedence. The Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra sat ahead of Sophie and Duchess of Gloucester
As noted the precedence of the unaccompanied Princesses was perfectly correct. What interested me was that Meghan, who is still a Miss or Ms, was seated where she will be in the order of precedence after her marriage. To me, that is a nice move by the BRF and the royal ladies who are not preceded by a fiancee.

As to all the angst about Meghan's reciprocal smile or even giggle, hey folks it's supposed to be a happy inter-faith gathering, not a funeral.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I might be alone in not caring too much about Meghanís presence here - whatís struck me more is the Duke of Edinburghís absence. I know heís retired, but this picture of the Queen and her family really struck me without the DoE by her side.

Interestingly, I think had Meghan not been with Harry, he would have ended up seated in the front row, beside Kate, instead of in the second row - thereís a space beside Kate that looks like itís supposed to have a chair.

Isnít that in line with the general precedence the last decade or so? The wives of British Princes come after the British Princesses when not accompanied by their husbandís?
Exactly Ish! Who really cares if Meghan is able to behave herself church or not? After all, she's not a child, and I'm sure we've all had a smile or giggle in church now and again, if we care to admit it!
But rather like the Diamond Jubilee Service of Thanksgiving, I think the DoE was conspicuous by his absence today. I know he's retired, but HM really does seem to miss him by her side - I noticed the same look of sadness on her face (which we rarely do) today, after the singing of the National Anthem, and before her procession through the cathedral. At least this time, hopefully she know he is well and content at home.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Some media took it as Harry was making fun of her "fangirling" and than shared a laugh. It seems overall the moment was seen as being lighthearted. It is not a big deal.

The precedence was interesting to me as well. I guess there is also some confusion if Meghan was standing on the correct side or something? Charlie Procter made a comment on his twitter about it. Can someone clarify?
Old 03-12-2018, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
As noted the precedence of the unaccompanied Princesses was perfectly correct. What interested me was that Meghan, who is still a Miss or Ms, was seated where she will be in the order of precedence after her marriage. To me, that is a nice move by the BRF and the royal ladies who are not preceded by a fiancee.
If i'm not mistaken it has happened before with Sophie at the decommissioning of the "Britannia"back in 1997.

I don't care about the giggle either. She will learn, i guess sometimes the hard way, to be more neutral during such ceremonies.
Kate was panned for a smile at the Cenotaph once ...
Old 03-12-2018, 06:12 PM
Royal Highness

The giggle moment could be a private moment that was caught on camera. The press was looking for anything to get outrage clicks. As for rude, rude happened last year when William and Kate, the future King and queen, ditched this event for personal reasons, one being a boys' ski trip and getting caught on camera getting flirty with a couple of blondes. That led to embarrassing headlines and most likely an embarrassed wife. Given that, giggling at a joyous interfaith service seems like no big deal.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:15 PM
Aristocracy

William and Kate are looking more and more regal.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I’m not sure where you see Harry doing “boom.” He looks at Meghan and raises his eyebrows and then she giggles. It seemed to me that they were laughing at the performance (which is what the tweet stated). I think it’s fine to laugh, sing and giggle, but I don’t think it’s okay to laugh at a performer. Hence why I called it rude.

No one is staying it’s a big deal...it’s not. But it happened and now it’s being discussed.
Seriously? For goodness sake. It's all speculation. But I agree with @Osipi, there's so much OTT scrutiny and unfounded criticism when it comes to Meghan Markle and the fact that she is fully accepted by the royals and she will soon be marrying into the family. We have no idea what message was passing between H&M. It could have been a moment referencing any number of past memories or feelings. It's none of our business.

We are on the outside looking in. Meghan is on the inside taking part in all of the current realities, behind palace walls dramas, celebrations, private interactions including dinner at Althorp with Earl Spencer (Diana's brother), and many other private occasions which we will never be privy to. So we can observe from afar and admire, and offer reasonable critiques, or simply take it all in by examining why we are sparked by different emotions. I think constructive critical commentary can be offered without the pettiness of so many of the negative slants.

There often seems to be trolling for negative things to say. The person who posted that clip said it was her favorite moment of the day. It did not seem to be posted as any kind of criticism. I saw a ridiculous comment on DF (which is known for negativity of course) about Meghan's collar being turned up on her coat, as some kind of faux pas. Actually, that's how the coat is designed.

No matter what Meghan does, she will be criticized in some quarters. So it's just best for her to continue being herself and to enjoy every moment. Life is too short. I believe Meghan is where she is today, partly due to fate, but mostly because of her genuine love of life, her striving to succeed, and her generosity in sharing her success with others. And then, above all, her genuine thankfulness for all her blessings. No matter the downsides of her life, Meghan strikes me as someone who has learned to be upbeat and positive. Her fiance, her mother, her dear friends, and her new family-to-be have her back, and in the end, that's all that matters. Meghan Markle is now part of the historic drama of the British royal family. It's curious to me why that seems to irk some observers.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Majesty

Part of Meghan’s job is to be seen and criticised. Like all royals she’s a public servant.

Whether it clothes, jewellery, hair etc, it’s all fair game for comment. She really should consider herself lucky. Back in the day it was no holds barred.

And really I have no sympathy for some of Meghan’s followers. Just a few comments back one of Meghan’s more vocal supporters on here just ripped into the Cambridges in order to ‘defend’ Meghan.

Tags
british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, fiji, queen elizabeth ii