The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-02-2018, 07:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Or more likely the Queen (1) knows that the Commonwealth probably won't last after her death as it really is a (2) useless organisation with no benefits to anyone. How many people living in the Commonwealth know what it does other than hold Games every four years?

It made sense when it was a trading block and when there were common values and ideas but that isn't the case anymore - hasn't been since the UK deserted the Commonwealth and Empire and joined the EEC. The only thing that has kept it together since as been the Queen but when she goes the one link will go. Charles isn't respected enough and William is too (3) lightweight to have any hope of keeping together such a disparate organisation with so little in common anymore.
1. Well, she is said to be very proud of it, so I don't think she sees the Commonwealth as you sees it (a useless organisation with no benefits to anyone).

2. I won't go into this, but many commentators/experts disagree with you.

3. William a lightweight?

Today: Couldn't disagree more.

In 20 to 30 years, when he probably have a chance to be head of the Commonwealth: I am 6 years younger than the guy, so I hope to be around when he acceeds to the throne and if someone calls him a lightweight in 2038-2048, then he must really have done a poor job.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

I notice no one can actually tell me ONE benefit the Commonwealth provides its members - not just the wealthy members but any member at all.

I would like to add that in Australia we don't even teach any history to do with the Commonwealth - other than the ANZAC invasion of Turkey in 1915. We used to teach that Australia was a member of APEC and the UN but now we only teach that Australia is a member of the UN - no mention of the Commonwealth. Why - because even the Australian government that sets the History syllabus sees no relevance for it in our lives.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:54 PM
Heir Apparent

March 14, 2011 was the date of the Commonwealth Observance Service-before William and Kate's wedding.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:08 PM
Majesty

Thank you, O-H.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I notice no one can actually tell me ONE benefit the Commonwealth provides its members - not just the wealthy members but any member at all.

I would like to add that in Australia we don't even teach any history to do with the Commonwealth - other than the ANZAC invasion of Turkey in 1915. We used to teach that Australia was a member of APEC and the UN but now we only teach that Australia is a member of the UN - no mention of the Commonwealth. Why - because even the Australian government that sets the History syllabus sees no relevance for it in our lives.
Yet the Prime Minister and or senior government ministers attend CHOGM, our athletes participate in the Commonwealth Games, Australia plays its part in various endeavours within the Commonwealth such as Scholarships provision.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I disagree my 10 year old grandson has been learning all things Australia political and knows about the commonwealth. But I am not going to argue with you we all believe what we want
Old 03-02-2018, 10:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I would like to add that in Australia we don't even teach any history to do with the Commonwealth - .
Unfortunately, nowadays, if something is or is not taught in schools can hardly be taken as a sign its relevance! This said I don't have a particular opinion on the benefits of the Commonwealth, I'm just saying that your argument is not very strong.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

If the Australian Government - who approved the national curriculum - thought that British history or the history of the Commonwealth was something they believed was relevant to Australia they would have put it in there.

Our History syllabus is all about Australia and its place in the world - and that really means our place in Asia with virtually no mention of Europe (other than to show how evil Europeans were when they conquered Australia or somewhere else e.g. the Americas).

European history and culture isn't taught at all - nor is American either - not relevant to young Australians according to our state and federal governments of both persuasions who sign off and fund education in this country.

If kids aren't taught it at school most will never learn it at all and so what is left out is as important as what is put in. Of course what is taught is schools is relevant - it is a sign of what the government regards as important for Australian students to know and they don't see the Commonwealth or European History as important for young Aussies.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
If the Australian Government - who approved the national curriculum - thought that British history or the history of the Commonwealth was something they believed was relevant to Australia they would have put it in there.

Our History syllabus is all about Australia and its place in the world - and that really means our place in Asia with virtually no mention of Europe (other than to show how evil Europeans were when they conquered Australia or somewhere else e.g. the Americas).

European history and culture isn't taught at all - nor is American either - not relevant to young Australians according to our state and federal governments of both persuasions who sign off and fund education in this country.

If kids aren't taught it at school most will never learn it at all and so what is left out is as important as what is put in. Of course what is taught is schools is relevant - it is a sign of what the government regards as important for Australian students to know and they don't see the Commonwealth or European History as important for young Aussies.
I'm honestly shocked. Truly, utterly shocked. I think you're proving my point with your own answer...
Old 03-03-2018, 09:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
well they've got no choice have they? She's got to live here to arrange her wedding, and so she's here without her family or friends for support, apart from Harry. So the RF have to welcome her..
Yes it just seems like common sense to fully welcome her into the fold now rather than later. It seems like a vote of confidence but also strategic.

Also lets not forget that now is the time for the younger royals to fully step up now that Prince Phillip is retired.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The Commonwealth outlived Kings George V and George VI and, more significantly, outlived most of the former colonies of the British Empire becoming republics. I don't see why it would not survive Queen Elizabeth II as well.

In fact, neither the "wealthy" Commonwealth members (Australia, Canada, etc.) nor the African and Asian members have ever shown any intention to leave or break up the organization.
Being a member of the Commonwealth is totally voluntary so I don't see why a country would remain part of it if there was a strong feeling against it.

Gambia has actually returned this year after having left in 2013.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
Yes it just seems like common sense to fully welcome her into the fold now rather than later. It seems like a vote of confidence but also strategic.

Also lets not forget that now is the time for the younger royals to fully step up now that Prince Phillip is retired.
well obviously. If she were an Englishwoman she might not be asked to do more than 1 or 2 engagements at present, as she'd be preparing for the wedding and she would have the support and company of her famly and friends. But she's not English, and it is only polite then to include her more in her new family...
Old 03-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
1. Well, she is said to be very proud of it, so I don't think she sees the Commonwealth as you sees it (a useless organisation with no benefits to anyone).

2. I won't go into this, but many commentators/experts disagree with you.

3. William a lightweight?

Today: Couldn't disagree more.

In 20 to 30 years, when he probably have a chance to be head of the Commonwealth: I am 6 years younger than the guy, so I hope to be around when he acceeds to the throne and if someone calls him a lightweight in 2038-2048, then he must really have done a poor job.
THe queen is very pro Commonwealth. that doesn't mean everyone is.
As for William, its hard to say as yet how he will turn out. I don't think he's as serious as his father or as devoted to royal work. Neither is Harry. but I don't think it is up to him, in htat the nations of the Commonwealth will decide for themselves whether they want to go on and it may nto be dependent on how solid William is as a king or whether they like him
Old 03-03-2018, 12:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
THe queen is very pro Commonwealth. that doesn't mean everyone is.
As for William, its hard to say as yet how he will turn out. I don't think he's as serious as his father or as devoted to royal work.
On the other hand, William is far less controversial and far more popular than his father, which helps to explain perhaps why the Foreign Office trusted him to carry out high-profile official visits to key countries like France, China, Germany and Israel. So far, William has not disappointed and, I would dare say, has even exceeded most people's expectations about him.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
On the other hand, William is far less controversial and far more popular than his father, which helps to explain perhaps why the Foreign Office trusted him to carry out high-profile official visits to key countries like France, China, Germany and Israel. So far, William has not disappointed and, I would dare say, has even exceeded most people's expectations about him.
I think he's more popular than his father because of Charles being inclined to sound off, about political issues that it would be better he didn't do. (and also because William is young and Charles is getting on, and because he hasn't got a failed marriage in his past).
But while I don't think C should make his views too public, it shows that he HAS got ideas and opinions. I'm not sure if William has.
However I think he's a decent chap, and probably willing to be guided and do his job well and quietly. Time will tell.....
Old 03-03-2018, 01:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Camilla reported on Meghan participating in CHOGM, which is separate from commonwealth day, but it does seem to indicate a bigger possibility of involvement in CHOGM than if she doesn’t attend Commonwealth Day service.
Yes Commonwealth Day feels somehow different than the other family event Meghan attended. Christmas was ostensibly a family holiday and the church walk was just part of that. The rumored CHOGM participation I assumed H&M would be in the audience for some of the sessions, present but no real role. Just another part of Meghan's education. Now I'm not so sure. This seems more official. Am I wrong?
Old 03-03-2018, 05:24 PM
Royal Highness

More royals are attending this year. Prince Andrew is going, but I'm wondering if Eugenie and Beatrice was be added on at the last minute? It's been reported that Andrew wants his daughters to have bigger Royal roles and their attendance could signal that occuring.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen, as Head of the Commonwealth, has sent the following message ahead of Commnwealth Day on Monday.

https://www.royal.uk/message-queen-h...ealth-day-2018

And one drawing of the Duchess of Cambridge and the future Duchess by the Adrian Valencia

"Meanwhile in Westminster Abbey."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgRYy-oF...drawadriandraw
Old 03-10-2018, 08:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
More royals are attending this year. Prince Andrew is going, but I'm wondering if Eugenie and Beatrice was be added on at the last minute? It's been reported that Andrew wants his daughters to have bigger Royal roles and their attendance could signal that occuring.
Since Andrew's daguthers are very unlikely to be allowed to take on "bigger royal roles", it doesn't matter.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Live Streaming Coverage: Tomorrow on BBC One- 2:45pm
A Service of Celebration for Commonwealth Day: The Queen and senior members of the Royal Family in attendance-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08k1s90

A.W. TOZER

Tags
british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, fiji, queen elizabeth ii