The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #241  
Old 03-02-2018, 02:15 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,237
The fact that Meghan has a connection to the Commonwealth as "quasi-Canadian" is certainly playing a role here IMHO.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 03-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 5,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
No, fiancees don't usually attend this service. I can't remember whether Sophie attended before her marriage, she did go to several official and semi official events, but Kate didn't go.

I think Meghan is going because it's considered important for her to be introduced to many different aspects of the Royal year and to Commonwealth events which, as a foreign national, she may not have been aware of.
I don't recall the BRF being too involved with the Commonwealth Service when Sophie was a fiancee and Camilla/Kate didn't attend either.
I do agree that since the UK is hosting CHOGM and she's an immigrant, that she should be exposed to as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I also feel the family just making it very clear to anyone in denial that she is one of them and they are supporting her 100%. I think it is a clever tactic to be honest. Also no better way for her to learn than to be hands on. She has the background. Use it.
I agree. I hate to be cynical but if things do not work out for this couple, then the BRF can state that they provided her with extensive background knowledge of her new role and nation. Diana and Sarah both stated that they didn't feel well prepared to take on their new roles and I believe that the BRF does not want a repeat of these accusations.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 03-02-2018, 03:31 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,537
Let's not forget that Prince Harry will be formally accepting a prominent role pertaining to the youth in the upcoming Commonwealth meeting in April and Meghan will support him in the role. So, it is a no brainer that they would attend the service.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 03-02-2018, 03:31 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 5,919
Glad to see that Meghan will attend the event with the rest of the BRF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I don't recall the BRF being too involved with the Commonwealth Service when Sophie was a fiancee and Camilla/Kate didn't attend either.
I do agree that since the UK is hosting CHOGM and she's an immigrant, that she should be exposed to as much as possible.
Yeah, I believe the Queen and Prince Philip were the only ones that regularly attended the Commonwealth Day Service at WA. It wasn't until 2010 or 2011 that Prince Charles/Camilla started going regularly and around 2012 for Edward/Sophie. And of course William and Kate didn't start attending until 2015 and Harry 2016. So this explains why other fiancees have never attended.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 03-02-2018, 03:49 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree. I hate to be cynical but if things do not work out for this couple, then the BRF can state that they provided her with extensive background knowledge of her new role and nation. Diana and Sarah both stated that they didn't feel well prepared to take on their new roles and I believe that the BRF does not want a repeat of these accusations.
I don't think you are cynical at all. I agree. The know what they are doing. Sophie also had a hard time apparently. We all know Diana and Fergie's issues. Kate wasn't really involved in these official events either, IIRC, but she also had years as the girlfriend to kind of prepare in a different sense. Meghan is coming from a very different place where she not even a citizen. They just making sure that they doing everything possible to support her privately and publicly.

And as pointed out by others, they can use Meghan's background to their advantage. She lived and worked in a Commonwealth country. People in other countries might look at her and somewhat identity a little easier. I am sure that is not lost on HM. Also Harry is rumored to be taking on a much bigger role during the CHOGM so her attendance also makes sense in this case as well.

Overall I am glad so many of the royals are in attendance this year. I think this is the first time in a long time that has happened.
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 03-02-2018, 04:20 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
ACO I agree that she is really being considered a full family member even before the couple marries. IMO this should send a clear signal that the Queen and the rest of royal family is doing everything that they can to welcome her.
well they've got no choice have they? She's got to live here to arrange her wedding, and so she's here without her family or friends for support, apart from Harry. So the RF have to welcome her..
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 03-02-2018, 04:34 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 13,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
No, fiancees don't usually attend this service. I can't remember whether Sophie attended before her marriage, she did go to several official and semi official events, but Kate didn't go.

I think Meghan is going because it's considered important for her to be introduced to many different aspects of the Royal year and to Commonwealth events which, as a foreign national, she may not have been aware of.
Kate didn't go to the Commonwealth service as a fiancee because she was engaged after the Commonwealth service in 2010 and married by the time the service took place in 2011 so she was never a fiancee when it was held.

Sophie didn't attend as a royal fiancee as in 1999 only the Queen and Philip attended - no other members of the family at all, not even Charles or Anne.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 03-02-2018, 04:36 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,386
Yes, Denville, she is alone here. However, the Cambridges didn't HAVE to invite her to stay at Anmer with them for for Xmas, or walk with her to church. Charles wasn't obliged to smile at her when they were all on the Church steps. The Queen wasn't forced to invite her to the extended family lunch before Christmas, or to invite her to tea. And so on and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Kate didn't go to the Commonwealth service as a fiancee because she was engaged after the Commonwealth service in 2010 and married by the time the service took place in 2011 so she was never a fiancee when it was held.
So the Commonwealth service was held after Kate was married in late April 2011? I thought the Commonwealth service was held annually in March.
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 03-02-2018, 04:41 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
well they've got no choice have they? She's got to live here to arrange her wedding, and so she's here without her family or friends for support, apart from Harry. So the RF have to welcome her..
Of course they have a choice. Most people wouldn't think twice if the fiancee wasn't as present as Meghan has been. They love to point out how uncommon this is for her. You can be welcoming without her being involved in official engagements representing the family before even being an official royal.

Doesn't the Queen release a message annually as well?
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 03-02-2018, 04:53 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,866
True, but as a fiancée rather than a wife, they do not need to involve her in this. They have made two choices, the first is to stand unreservedly, and very positively, behind Harry and Meghan and, surprisingly to me at least, have decided to accept her as an educated woman who is not only going to be a future asset but are accepting and using her as such now.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 03-02-2018, 05:03 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Kate didn't go to the Commonwealth service as a fiancee because she was engaged after the Commonwealth service in 2010 and married by the time the service took place in 2011 so she was never a fiancee when it was held.

Sophie didn't attend as a royal fiancee as in 1999 only the Queen and Philip attended - no other members of the family at all, not even Charles or Anne.
Yes, Anne, Charles and others did attend the Commonwealth Service in the past.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 03-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,386
Btw what date was the Commonwealth Day service held on in 2011, and was Kate already married when it was held? I don't believe she was.
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 03-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 13,214
Going back in the CC and looking at attendance at the Commonwealth Service:

1997 - The Queen and Charles (Philip was in Mongolia)
1998 - The Queen
1999 - The Queen and Philip
2000 - The Queen and Charles (Philip was in the USA)
2001 - The Queen and Philip
2002 - The Queen and Philip
2003 - The Queen and Philip
2004 - The Queen and Philip
2005 - The Queen and Philip
2006 - The Queen and Philip - in Sydney as they were on a tour Down Under
2006 - Charles and Camilla - in London
2007 - The Queen and Philip
2008 - The Queen and Philip
2009 - The Queen and Philip
2010 - The Queen and Philip
2011 - The Queen and Philip
2012 - The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla and Sophie
2013 - Philip (the Queen attended the reception in the evening but not the service in the afternoon)
2014 - The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, Edward and Sophie
2015 - The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, William and Kate
2016 - The Queen, Philip, William, Kate, Harry and Andrew
2017 - The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, Harry, Andrew and Edward

It is therefore clear that Meghan attending is because the Queen has changed who attends from just herself and Philip, with Charles stepping occasionally to include more members of the family and this change took place AFTER Kate and William married so Meghan is the first fiancee to be in this position anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 03-02-2018, 05:31 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Going back in the CC and looking at attendance at the Commonwealth Service:

1997 - The Queen and Charles (Philip was in Mongolia)
1998 - The Queen
1999 - The Queen and Philip
2000 - The Queen and Charles (Philip was in the USA)
2001 - The Queen and Philip
2002 - The Queen and Philip
2003 - The Queen and Philip
2004 - The Queen and Philip
2005 - The Queen and Philip
2006 - The Queen and Philip - in Sydney as they were on a tour Down Under
2006 - Charles and Camilla - in London
2007 - The Queen and Philip
2008 - The Queen and Philip
2009 - The Queen and Philip
2010 - The Queen and Philip
2011 - The Queen and Philip
2012 - The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla and Sophie
2013 - Philip (the Queen attended the reception in the evening but not the service in the afternoon)
2014 - The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, Edward and Sophie
2015 - The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, William and Kate
2016 - The Queen, Philip, William, Kate, Harry and Andrew
2017 - The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, Harry, Andrew and Edward

It is therefore clear that Meghan attending is because the Queen has changed who attends from just herself and Philip, with Charles stepping occasionally to include more members of the family and this change took place AFTER Kate and William married so Meghan is the first fiancee to be in this position anyway.
1992- Princess Anne-
https://www.gettyimages.com/license/52103789
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 03-02-2018, 05:32 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 5,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
So the Commonwealth service was held after Kate was married in late April 2011? I thought the Commonwealth service was held annually in March.
Yes it's held every year in March, but only the Queen and Prince Philip were regular attendees. William didn't go to his first service until 2015, so that's the reason Kate didn't attend in 2011.

As Iluvbertie notes, Meghan is attending as a fiancee because it is now a regular event for the younger royals. Before 2015, it wasn't.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 03-02-2018, 05:41 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 5,919
Comments about Meghan's charity work is off-topic and has been deleted. If you wish to discuss her future role in the BRF, please take it to the appropriate thread.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 03-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,533
I wonder if on of the reasons we see more royals attend recently is that as the Queen gets older it smooths the way for succession (although of course the Head of Commonwealth isn't hereditary) to the Headship and shows the family's commitment to the Commonwealth.
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 03-02-2018, 06:55 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 13,214
Or more likely the Queen knows that the Commonwealth probably won't last after her death as it really is a useless organisation with no benefits to anyone. How many people living in the Commonwealth know what it does other than hold Games every four years?

It made sense when it was a trading block and when there were common values and ideas but that isn't the case anymore - hasn't been since the UK deserted the Commonwealth and Empire and joined the EEC. The only thing that has kept it together since as been the Queen but when she goes the one link will go. Charles isn't respected enough and William is too lightweight to have any hope of keeping together such a disparate organisation with so little in common anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 03-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Or more likely the Queen knows that the Commonwealth probably won't last after her death as it really is a useless organisation with no benefits to anyone. How many people living in the Commonwealth know what it does other than hold Games every four years?
The Commonwealth outlived Kings George V and George VI and, more significantly, outlived most of the former colonies of the British Empire becoming republics. I don't see why it would not survive Queen Elizabeth II as well.

In fact, neither the "wealthy" Commonwealth members (Australia, Canada, etc.) nor the African and Asian members have ever shown any intention to leave or break up the organization.
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 03-02-2018, 07:28 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,758
I tend to agree. I don't know if it will last or not but I don't think that the passing of HM will end it immediately. I do feel that getting the younger royals like William and Harry more involved is to help that transition be smoother.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, fiji, queen elizabeth ii


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sophie's Relationships with the Queen and Royal Family Claire The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family 98 11-04-2019 05:19 AM
Diana's Relationships with The Queen and Other Members of the Royal Family Beck Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 696 09-29-2017 08:33 PM
Charles and the Commonwealth Huddo The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 56 10-10-2016 09:22 PM
William and the Commonwealth Realms Harold The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 71 08-09-2015 11:16 PM
List of royal residences in the United Kingdom and Commonwealth Elspeth British Royal Residences 0 11-04-2008 02:30 PM




Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian baby names biography birth britain britannia british royal family british royals buckingham palace camilla camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house colorblindness coronation daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii family life family tree gemstones george vi gradenigo hello! henry viii highgrove history hochberg hypothetical monarchs japan jewellery książ castle liechtenstein list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchy mongolia mountbatten names nara period plantinum jubilee pless politics portugal prince harry princess eugenie queen elizabeth ii queen louise royal ancestry royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon spanish royal family speech sussex suthida unfinished portrait united states united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×