The Queen, the Royal Family and the Commonwealth

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for filling me in a little bit about Liam Payne. To be honest, I'd never heard of the man before the Commonwealth Day service

Really ? No teenage girls in your family, I assume.

Really ? No teenage girls in your family, I assume.

Nope. All my kids are in their 40s and granddaughters in their 20s. :D

So I couldn't find a general Commonwealth thread so I wanted to post this here:

I have watched this tonight, and I just love what Lenny has to say.
BBC One - Lenny Henry: The Commonwealth Kid

The commonwealth has to be more than sport, and shared culture.

I wouldn't have said the Commonwealth even has a shared culture. We are extremely multi-cultural - no common language, religion, sports, music, etc.

What do we have in common? Nothing really. Not even that fact that we were all once colonies of Britain as nations who were never connected to Britian are now members.

The Queen has released a message ahead of Commonwealth Day on Monday.

https://www.royal.uk/commonwealth-day-message-her-majesty-queen

Article

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nwealth-Day-message-possible-Brexit-hint.html

Live Streaming Coverage a Service of Celebration for Commonwealth Day: Tomorrow on BBC One- 2:15pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00038sx

This Commonwealth Day The Countess of Wessex has written a letter to the people of Malawi - congratulating them on removing the risk of trachoma. Countess of Wessex is Vice-Patron of @qejubileetrust, which works across the Commonwealth to end avoidable blindness.

https://www.royal.uk/countess-wessex-sends-open-letter-people-malawi

The Queen will arrive with the Duke of York at the Service today

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1YLEQfXQAA5-Cw.jpg

The Commonwealth Mace was presented to The Queen as Head of Commonwealth on the fortieth anniversary of her accession to the throne

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1Y0jPDXQAAmasH.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1Y0jPcXcAIloSv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody who lives in a Commonwealth country actually do anything on this day? I am not interested in the GG attending something but something that ordinary people actually do?

For me, as a school teacher, like everything to do with the Commonwealth it is a totally meaningless day. It has never been acknowledged in any way at any school I have attended or in which I have worked (but then in Australia we no longer have to teach any European history at all). We did have a major celebration for Chinese New Year and have major celebrations planned for other religious festivals this year - other than Christian ones.

I am interested whether it is only Australia that doesn't make any sort of deal of this day or the rest of the Commonwealth as well.

Today is the start of March break for my daughters school in Canada where we live. Nothing at work.

Gosh! Is Grace Chatto, in bright red, on her way to a party? :lol:

The Duchess of Sussex has changed from her morning outfit, she's in white and blue suede shoes.

The Commonwealth Day Service is up Live!

The Queen has just arrived with The Duke of York.

A huge speech about the environment from Lewis Pugh the UN Patron for Oceans.

Notices DoC curtsied twice. Once when the HM first entered, along with everyone else.

Another when she was sure HM saw her. Interesting.

Last edited:
Is Grace Chatto related to Daniel Chatto by any chance? I thought it was interesting they had the same surname and are both in similar professions (acting/music) since IIRC Chatto is quite an unusual surname. Could just be a coincidence though, of course.
Great to see the RF there and I loved the interactions between Catherine and Meghan and Meghan and Charles.

Court Circular 11th March:
The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of York, this afternoon attended the Commonwealth Day Observance Service in Westminster Abbey and was received by the Dean of Westminster (the Very Reverend Dr. John Hall) and the Chairman of the Council of Commonwealth Societies (the Lord Howell of Guildford).

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were also present.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this evening attended a Reception given by the Commonwealth Secretary-General (the Baroness Scotland of Asthal) at Marlborough House, London SW1.

Interesting that HM was accompanied by Andrew, the coverage in media barely mentioned him.

Last edited:
The difference is the Commonwealth is trying to be a force for change throughout countries that use to be part of the British Empire. It strives to encourage equal rights across its members and by being part of the Commonwealth there is more pressure put on them from other members of the Commonwealth.

I don't deny that. However in many cases over many years that has not made much difference, according to the links provided above.

I do believe that the Commonwealth can be a force for good, and as an Australian I'm glad that Australia is a member of the organisation.

What I don't recognise is that the Commonwealth is some kind of cosy comfy international club under the gentle wing, somehow, of the British Crown and presided over by a kindly granny figure in the person of the Queen.

An organisation in fact that shouldn't, mustn't be criticised by anybody in any shape or form, because that would 'upset' Her Majesty. In fact Elizabeth II herself would reject this portrayal. She has been at times been very shrewd in dealing with the difficulties with various leaders in Commonwealth nations.

Last edited:
I don't deny that. However in many cases over many years that has not made much difference, according to the links provided above.

I do believe that the Commonwealth can be a force for good, and as an Australian I'm glad that Australia is a member of the organisation.

What I don't recognise is that the Commonwealth is some kind of cosy comfy international club under the gentle wing, somehow, of the British Crown and presided over by a kindly granny figure in the person of the Queen.

An organisation in fact that shouldn't, mustn't be criticised by anybody in any shape or form, because that would upset Her Majesty. In fact Elizabeth II herself would reject this portrayal. She has been at times been very shrewd in dealing with the difficulties with various leaders in Commonwealth nations.

And teh Commonwealth IS something that's very dear to the queen's heart..

Yes it is. That doesn't mean it shouldn't ever be criticised, however, about human rights abuses, racism or anything else.

British Commonwealth, now known as the Commonwealth of Nations, is just a gathering of former British Empire Colonies massaging British’s ego. British is not a superpower in the world or even in Europe, and at the Commonwealth is where they can pretend to shine.

So QEII invites the Heads of States of the 53 countries for a photo-op at Buckingham Palace, they are all so mesmerized to be “close” to their former colonizers; and they all agreed to have Prince Charles as the next Head of the Commonwealth. They should not have consented, this position is not hereditary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom