The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-18-2018, 01:13 PM
Majesty

Tomorrow Catherine and Sophie are hosting a reception at Buckingham Palace for The Commonwealth Fashion Exchange

Old 02-19-2018, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Apparently both Charles and Camilla are going to Australia

Quote:
Rudolph
Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall will attend the opening of the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast in Australia in April, Clarence House says.

Via Richard Palmer Twitter

Charles and Camilla will visit Australia in April. The Prince and Duchess are due in Brisbane to open @GC2018 on behalf of the Queen. The Prince will then travel to Queensland and the Northern Territory

Via Chris Ship Twitter

Old 02-19-2018, 06:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

When it was first announced it was assumed Camilla was coming with Charles for the Commonwealth Games and then two weeks ago it was reported she wasn't but there were reports he was going solo to the NT. Now we have the confirmation it seems - she is coming for a few days for the Games and then he is going solo through Qld and the NT. Maybe she could go somewhere nice and cool and wait for him there e.g. Tassie is lovely this time of year - not too hot and not to cold and some lovely places to stay and maybe have some relaxation time.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:54 PM
Heir Apparent

April 4th – 6th, Prince Charles & Camilla will visit Brisbane & the Gold Coast together. Then 7th-10th, Prince Charles will make a solo visit to Queensland and the Northern Territory.
https://twitter.com/Gertsroyals/stat...03412833759232
Old 02-24-2018, 11:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

In addition Edward is coming to Australia from the 10th - 16th (source is the FE).
Old 03-01-2018, 02:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

I guess this belongs here: https://www.bt.dk/underholdning/teen...beth-ll-i-1981

Papers released today by SIS, the British security service, tells of an assassination attempt on QEII in New Zealand back in 1981.
Christopher Lewis, a then 17 year old, mentally disturbed man fired shots at QEII's car when she visited the town of Dunedin.

At the time no one noticed anything. However, shortly after Christopher Lewis was arrested for an armed robbery in connection with being questioned he also made a rambling confession of his attempt to kill QEII.
That was initially regarded with skepticism but a further investigation led them to the rifle he had used and spend cartridges inside the house from which he had fired the shots.
Christopher Lewis claimed to be acting on behalf of a right wing group called National Imperial Guerilla Army - which consisted of three members...

It was decided it was better to cover this genuine assassination attempt up, so he was only charged with robbery and illegal possession of a firearm.

A report concluded that Christopher Lewis did intend to kill QEII, but his rifle wasn't good enough for the purpose nor was his vantage point ideal
for such an attempt.
He committed suicide in prison in 1997.

---------

More info can be found at New Zealand Herald.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

The story from New Zealand Herald: Spy files confirm teenager Christopher Lewis tried to shoot the Queen in Dunedin - NZ Herald

I must confess I'm surprised. This story has got decent coverage here in DK, but even Daily Mail don't seem to bring the story.
After all there are not that many assassination attempts on QEII's life, are there?!?
I even had to a search on the story in this New Zealand paper!
Old 03-01-2018, 07:44 PM
Majesty

I was living in Australia at the time and can't really recall this incident. Probably the press then and now decided that, as this boy was quite obviously disturbed, the best approach was to soft pedal it, lest several more mentally afflicted people read saw headlines, absorbed the publicity and decided to copy-cat.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Meghan is joining the family for Commonwealth Day on the 12th. I am actually surprised.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

THE QUEEN AND MEMBERS OF THE ROYAL FAMILY CELEBRATE COMMONWEALTH DAY 2018

Monday 12th March 2018

Her Majesty The Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, accompanied by the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle, the Duke of York, the Princess Royal, the Countess of Wessex, the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra will attend the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey on Commonwealth Day – Monday 12th March.

Organised by the Royal Commonwealth Society, the Commonwealth Service is the largest annual inter-faith gathering in the United Kingdom. The service will be broadcast live on BBC One and across BBC World Service, in celebration of Her Majesty's lifetime commitment to the Commonwealth.

The Commonwealth represents a global network of 53 countries and almost 2.4 billion people, of whom 60 per cent are under 30 years old.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't get why it is a surprise? I'd be more surprised if she wasn't there.

LaRae
Old 03-02-2018, 10:33 AM
Courtier

I believe Camila Tominey was the first one to break the news regarding Meghan's role during the Commonwealth Events. I think it sends a clear message she is set to become an involved and working Royal.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
I believe Camila Tominey was the first one to break the news regarding Meghan's role during the Commonwealth Events. I think it sends a clear message she is set to become an involved and working Royal.
Camilla reported on Meghan participating in CHOGM, which is separate from commonwealth day, but it does seem to indicate a bigger possibility of involvement in CHOGM than if she doesn’t attend Commonwealth Day service.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't get why it is a surprise? I'd be more surprised if she wasn't there.

LaRae
No reason really. I just didn't expect it because it is such a royal event and she technically is not one yet. The others I understood. Not upset about it. I am thrilled and now I do think there is some truth to her being involved in CHOGM afterall.

Meghan is seen as a full member right now. Kind of amazing.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:49 AM
Heir Apparent

ACO I agree that she is really being considered a full family member even before the couple marries. IMO this should send a clear signal that the Queen and the rest of royal family is doing everything that they can to welcome her.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think it's great. Why not let her take part...she's working hard behind the scenes already in order to get up to speed on everything.

I fully expect her to be at CHOGM and any other big events between now and May 19th.

LaRae
Old 03-02-2018, 01:21 PM
Aristocracy

Just more evidence that the huge machine which is the BRF is undergoing well-planned change and rejuvenation - let's just hope that they don't let too much 'light in on the magic'!
Old 03-02-2018, 01:23 PM
Royal Highness

So Meghan is attending the Commonwealth Day service. Wow. Is this standard for a royal fiancee to attend because I thought she wouldn't be able to attend an event like this until next year, after she's been married.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:35 PM
Majesty

No, fiancees don't usually attend this service. I can't remember whether Sophie attended before her marriage, she did go to several official and semi official events, but Kate didn't go.

I think Meghan is going because it's considered important for her to be introduced to many different aspects of the Royal year and to Commonwealth events which, as a foreign national, she may not have been aware of.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I also feel the family just making it very clear to anyone in denial that she is one of them and they are supporting her 100%. I think it is a clever tactic to be honest. Also no better way for her to learn than to be hands on. She has the background. Use it.

Tags
british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, fiji, queen elizabeth ii