The Queen, the Royal Family and the Commonwealth

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The DM has picked up on it. ‘A giggly Meghan in the Abbey’

I wonder if it's nerves. I know sometimes when folks get nervous they laugh even at 'serious' times.

In regards to the laugh at Harry's singing..it seemed like he leaned in towards her...wonder if he said something as opposed to was singing...

LaRae

:previous: I don’t know, I find their reaction kind of rude.

I can see that. I just thought the entire thing was funny from their reaction to the kids expressions to Kate being so still felt if I tapped her she might fall over.

The DM has picked up on it. ‘A giggly Meghan in the Abbey’

As long as she doesn't do that at a memorial or funeral service, I guess she'll be fine. Not the best Abbey debut for her though.

We don't know what they were talking about. It was probably something entirely different from reaction to the song. And if three seconds of giggling at a Harry joke makes it a bad debut...then that's pretty harsh, especially as I've seen other royals whispering and grinning to each other over the years at various services. I've even seen a grin or two on the balcony on Remembrance Day among the Royal females.

I've watched the clip a couple of times and, for the life of me, can't find anything that could be considered rude.

It seemed that once the song was finished, the singer fist bumped his accompanists and then it flashes to Harry and Meghan. Harry like of looks like he's may be, as an aside to Meghan, doing "boom" (as in the video for the IG Harry with the Queen and the Obamas doing a mic drop) and Meghan giggles.

I don't see why this is a huge deal to pick on other than its something Meghan did. Just because its Westminster Abbey and a church service, it was also a service to celebrate an occasion and from what I've seen over my many moons on this rock, its OK to laugh, sing, express joy and be happy at a service.

Is this another example of turning a snowball into an avalanche? I think so.

Who knows exactly what triggered the reaction, but I also found Liam's fist bump with his band mates at the end of the song to be eye roll worthy so I'm going with that.

Honestly, it just seems to me like Harry and Meghan caught each others eye and Harry raised his eyebrows in the way that people do sometimes when they are joking with someone or acknowledging someone. Nothing rude about it. Meghan was nodding along to the song.

I will say I personally found the performance to be rather...well not to my liking but I am also not a fan of Liam's voice.

I also wonder if Meghan is just feeling soo out of body right now too? Its surreal for me as a spectator to see her there on so many levels. I imagine its even more so to be actually living it. I would probably have a laugh of incredulity at times too!

Last edited:
I've watched the clip a couple of times and, for the life of me, can't find anything that could be considered rude.

It seemed that once the song was finished, the singer fist bumped his accompanists and then it flashes to Harry and Meghan. Harry like of looks like he's may be, as an aside to Meghan, doing "boom" (as in the video for the IG Harry with the Queen and the Obamas doing a mic drop) and Meghan giggles.

I don't see why this is a huge deal to pick on other than its something Meghan did. Just because its Westminster Abbey and a church service, it was also a service to celebrate an occasion and from what I've seen over my many moons on this rock, its OK to laugh, sing, express joy and be happy at a service.

Is this another example of turning a snowball into an avalanche? I think so.

I’m not sure where you see Harry doing “boom.” He looks at Meghan and raises his eyebrows and then she giggles. It seemed to me that they were laughing at the performance (which is what the tweet stated). I think it’s fine to laugh, sing and giggle, but I don’t think it’s okay to laugh at a performer. Hence why I called it rude.

No one is staying it’s a big deal...it’s not. But it happened and now it’s being discussed.

Honestly, it just seems to me like Harry and Meghan caught each others eye and Harry raised his eyebrows in the way that people do sometimes when they are joking with someone or acknowledging someone. Nothing rude about it. Meghan was nodding along to the song.

I will say I personally found the performance to be rather...well not to my liking but I am also not a fan of Liam's voice.

I also wonder if Meghan is just feeling soo out of body right now too? Its surreal for me as a spectator to see her there on so many levels. I imagine its even more so to be actually living it. I would probably have a laugh of incredulity at times too!

True. They could have just been having a couple's moment and it seemed they were having a laugh about the performance. We won't know. I don't think it is a big deal though. Just thought it was a cute exchange but I can get how some don't. It is what it is. I don't think that moment means her debut was bad though. Thought it was quite successful.

True. They could have just been having a couple's moment and it seemed they were having a laugh about the performance. We won't know. I don't think it is a big deal though. Just thought it was a cute exchange but I can get how some don't. It is what it is. I don't think that moment means her debut was bad though. Thought it was quite successful.

Me too! But some want to find fault so here we are.

Another little tweak on precedence. The Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra sat ahead of Sophie and Duchess of Gloucester

That's right up there with Meghan's reaction to Harry's singing. So many cameras, this could be interesting...

notice how the camera turned away from them right at that point. i guess it wouldn't be great if social media starts talking about how 'meghan laughed at harry singing in church'.

I wonder if it's nerves. I know sometimes when folks get nervous they laugh even at 'serious' times.

yes, that happens to some people. a friend of mine has it and she describes it as a reaction to realising that you are actually in a difficult / anxiety-causing situation. i guess it is due to this being meghan's first 'important' event, with the presence of the queen and all the family. also, i guess she never probably saw that 'religious' side of harry in the past, and she always met him in more informal situations. i'd say it is the reaction of the sudden realisation of what is to come for her - that she will indeed be a high-ranking member of a powerful family, where this pomp and circumstance is the norm, with all the excitement and the nervousness that comes with it.

Nothing rude happened folks. Harry just shared a little joke. Relax! Meghan was elegant and poised throughout the service. She and the Family obviously enjoyed the great performances. I watched and got up and danced to some of the music. Loved it all.

The Queen looked very elegant, but did anyone notice how uneasy The Queen appeared on her feet? First time I notice some frailty in her walk.

Last edited:
great picture of the royal family sitting during the service
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYGToQSU0AEMjnB.jpg

I might be alone in not caring too much about Meghan’s presence here - what’s struck me more is the Duke of Edinburgh’s absence. I know he’s retired, but this picture of the Queen and her family really struck me without the DoE by her side.

Interestingly, I think had Meghan not been with Harry, he would have ended up seated in the front row, beside Kate, instead of in the second row - there’s a space beside Kate that looks like it’s supposed to have a chair.

Another little tweak on precedence. The Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra sat ahead of Sophie and Duchess of Gloucester

Isn’t that in line with the general precedence the last decade or so? The wives of British Princes come after the British Princesses when not accompanied by their husband’s?

Isn’t that in line with the general precedence the last decade or so? The wives of British Princes come after the British Princesses when not accompanied by their husband’s?

Supposedly but it’s rarely ever actually seen. Catherine was at the Remembrance concert without William and she kept her precedence.

If we assume a blood princess outranks a wife and William wasn’t there today Catherine, as future Queen would be stuck in back middle row.

But I haven’t seen it applied to Camilla or Catherine. They both seem to retain their precedence.

I might be alone in not caring too much about Meghan’s presence here - what’s struck me more is the Duke of Edinburgh’s absence. I know he’s retired, but this picture of the Queen and her family really struck me without the DoE by her side.

Interestingly, I think had Meghan not been with Harry, he would have ended up seated in the front row, beside Kate, instead of in the second row - there’s a space beside Kate that looks like it’s supposed to have a chair.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It was weird seeing her without him and it became a slap in reality that it could be that way soon. He is not getting any younger. I think the set up made sense. It was 11 of them all together. If DoE was there then Harry likely would have been in the back for balance sake. Same with this. 6 in front and 7 in back. But yes if Meghan was not there and no DoE then he likely would have still been in the front.

Harry and Meghan's reaction to Liam's song is hilarious.

Ha! This was exactly my reaction. I found it so absolutely bizarre that Liam Payne was singing at this service, it made absolutely no sense whatsoever and he isn't even the greatest ex one direction band member. Frankly I find his fist bumping un-necessary.

I wonder whether Meghan's confirmation was done last week to make sure she was a church member before this service. She is also getting some experience in an Anglican (televised) service before her wedding day.

Or is the Commonwealth service not considered an Anglican service?

I wonder whether Meghan's confirmation was done last week to make sure she was a church member before this service. She is also getting some experience in an Anglican (televised) service before her wedding day.

Or is the Commonwealth service not considered an Anglican service?

Nope, it is considered an inter-faith gathering representing the variety of faiths in the Commonwealth.

notice how the camera turned away from them right at that point. i guess it wouldn't be great if social media starts talking about how 'meghan laughed at harry singing in church'.

yes, that happens to some people. a friend of mine has it and she describes it as a reaction to realising that you are actually in a difficult / anxiety-causing situation. i guess it is due to this being meghan's first 'important' event, with the presence of the queen and all the family. also, i guess she never probably saw that 'religious' side of harry in the past, and she always met him in more informal situations. i'd say it is the reaction of the sudden realisation of what is to come for her - that she will indeed be a high-ranking member of a powerful family, where this pomp and circumstance is the norm, with all the excitement and the nervousness that comes with it.

She joined them for the Christmas service, and he joined her for her baptism and confirmation service, so not completely new, but first time on his side 'in public'.

Liam is a poor singer, so that is hardly surprising. But were Harry and Meghan reacting to Liam's underwhelming performance or something else ?

In your opinion.

Others disagree.

This service was suppose to be a joyous celebration. It wasn’t a funeral. I think people just need to relax and stop trying to be more royal than the royals. It’s okay to have a little giggle and smile. It’s not a good look to sit there and look like a bunch of sourpusses.

Last edited:
Sometimes the way you word things, Dman, it does sound like you're telling people what's what and how they should look at things as if they're facts and not your own personal opinion. Just as stating "there's nothing rude here folks" is your own personal opinion that there is nothing rude to be seen.

You do make some really good points but I can see where it might serve you better to express an opinion as an opinion rather than telling folks what's what. State your opinion and leave what other people should do or think out of it. This bit of advice has served me well over the years. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom