The Queen, the Royal Family and the Commonwealth

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Commonwealth outlived Kings George V and George VI and, more significantly, outlived most of the former colonies of the British Empire becoming republics. I don't see why it would not survive Queen Elizabeth II as well.

In fact, neither the "wealthy" Commonwealth members (Australia, Canada, etc.) nor the African and Asian members have ever shown any intention to leave or break up the organization.

Being a member of the Commonwealth is totally voluntary so I don't see why a country would remain part of it if there was a strong feeling against it.

Gambia has actually returned this year after having left in 2013.

Yes it just seems like common sense to fully welcome her into the fold now rather than later. It seems like a vote of confidence but also strategic.

Also lets not forget that now is the time for the younger royals to fully step up now that Prince Phillip is retired.

well obviously. If she were an Englishwoman she might not be asked to do more than 1 or 2 engagements at present, as she'd be preparing for the wedding and she would have the support and company of her famly and friends. But she's not English, and it is only polite then to include her more in her new family...

1. Well, she is said to be very proud of it, so I don't think she sees the Commonwealth as you sees it (a useless organisation with no benefits to anyone).

2. I won't go into this, but many commentators/experts disagree with you.

3. William a lightweight?

Today: Couldn't disagree more.

In 20 to 30 years, when he probably have a chance to be head of the Commonwealth: I am 6 years younger than the guy, so I hope to be around when he acceeds to the throne and if someone calls him a lightweight in 2038-2048, then he must really have done a poor job.
THe queen is very pro Commonwealth. that doesn't mean everyone is.
As for William, its hard to say as yet how he will turn out. I don't think he's as serious as his father or as devoted to royal work. Neither is Harry. but I don't think it is up to him, in htat the nations of the Commonwealth will decide for themselves whether they want to go on and it may nto be dependent on how solid William is as a king or whether they like him

THe queen is very pro Commonwealth. that doesn't mean everyone is.
As for William, its hard to say as yet how he will turn out. I don't think he's as serious as his father or as devoted to royal work.

On the other hand, William is far less controversial and far more popular than his father, which helps to explain perhaps why the Foreign Office trusted him to carry out high-profile official visits to key countries like France, China, Germany and Israel. So far, William has not disappointed and, I would dare say, has even exceeded most people's expectations about him.

On the other hand, William is far less controversial and far more popular than his father, which helps to explain perhaps why the Foreign Office trusted him to carry out high-profile official visits to key countries like France, China, Germany and Israel. So far, William has not disappointed and, I would dare say, has even exceeded most people's expectations about him.

I think he's more popular than his father because of Charles being inclined to sound off, about political issues that it would be better he didn't do. (and also because William is young and Charles is getting on, and because he hasn't got a failed marriage in his past).
But while I don't think C should make his views too public, it shows that he HAS got ideas and opinions. I'm not sure if William has.
However I think he's a decent chap, and probably willing to be guided and do his job well and quietly. Time will tell.....

Last edited:
Camilla reported on Meghan participating in CHOGM, which is separate from commonwealth day, but it does seem to indicate a bigger possibility of involvement in CHOGM than if she doesn’t attend Commonwealth Day service.

Yes Commonwealth Day feels somehow different than the other family event Meghan attended. Christmas was ostensibly a family holiday and the church walk was just part of that. The rumored CHOGM participation I assumed H&M would be in the audience for some of the sessions, present but no real role. Just another part of Meghan's education. Now I'm not so sure. This seems more official. Am I wrong?

More royals are attending this year. Prince Andrew is going, but I'm wondering if Eugenie and Beatrice was be added on at the last minute? It's been reported that Andrew wants his daughters to have bigger Royal roles and their attendance could signal that occuring.

Last edited by a moderator:
More royals are attending this year. Prince Andrew is going, but I'm wondering if Eugenie and Beatrice was be added on at the last minute? It's been reported that Andrew wants his daughters to have bigger Royal roles and their attendance could signal that occuring.

Since Andrew's daguthers are very unlikely to be allowed to take on "bigger royal roles", it doesn't matter.

Live Streaming Coverage: Tomorrow on BBC One- 2:45pm
A Service of Celebration for Commonwealth Day: The Queen and senior members of the Royal Family in attendance-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08k1s90

Last edited:
A question for other people who live in the Commonwealth:

Do you celebrate in any way this day?

I know in Australia the GG and some other politicians will make some mention of it - maybe go to church but as a general rule the rest of the Australian population wouldn't even know that it was occurring so I was wondering whether the rest of the Commonwealth do anything for Commonwealth Day?

From what I've been able to find out, Commonwealth Day, for the most part and in most places, is not a holiday that is observed by being called a "bank holiday" where people get the day off. That, I think, makes a huge difference in how people would observe it.

I think, here in the US, should they declare that the 4th of July would no longer be an "official" holiday with time off and its business as usual, people wouldn't do too much to really celebrate it very much either.

From what I've been able to find out, Commonwealth Day, for the most part and in most places, is not a holiday that is observed by being called a "bank holiday" where people get the day off. That, I think, makes a huge difference in how people would observe it.

I think, here in the US, should they declare that the 4th of July would no longer be an "official" holiday with time off and its business as usual, people wouldn't do too much to really celebrate it very much either.

Gotta have the time off to BBQ!

We didn't have a public holiday last week for International Women's Day but it was acknowledged in the media and many workplaces etc but I know no one who will even know that today is Commonwealth Day and I was wondering if it is just Australia?

A day doesn't have to have a holiday to be acknowledged here but this one isn't even known.

The kingdom of the Netherlands has a kingdom day in December but only a few members of the royal family and some politicians from the different countries within the kingdom attend. Most people wouldn't even know it exists.

Tomorrow afternoon, Meghan will join Her Majesty and a number of members of the royal family for the annual Commonwealth Day service. It will be broadcast live on the BBC at 2:45 p.m.

This evening The Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall and The Duke of Cambridge will attend a reception on behalf of The Queen at Marlborough House – which is the home of @commonwealthsec #CommonwealthDay

Via Royal Family Twitter

Last edited:
The Countess of Wessex has arrived in Navy, followed by Princess Alexandra, The Duke of York and Princess Anne.

The Duchess of Gloucester arrived prior.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Henry and Meghan.

Catherine in Navy (Repeat), Meghan in Cream.

My god this commentary is awful!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Meghan's coat.
(Hi! it's my first post. It's not witty. Sorry)

My god that colour on The Queen is stunning! I wish other royals would be so bold with their colours!

Last edited:
I hope Harry has explained to his Fiance, that this service is atypical for the Abbey..

Last edited:
I hope Harry has explained to his Fiance, that this service is atypical for the Abbey..

I would guess she's aware of that without tutelage. She's a bright woman. And also, they don't exactly pop in to the Abbey for regular services, do they?

I think over the nearly two years that they have been dating Harry has had long talks with Meghan about the Commonwealth and about Commonwealth Day and what the services mean. I'm sure others have too. I also think that, as an intelligent woman Meghan will have asked questions. I expect her to have been told about Westminster Abbey and she's probably visited it several times.

I too love that colour on the Queen. In fact I've never seen her in a colour that doesn't suit her. I also think Meghan looks very nice.

The front row seats consist of the most senior royals. The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall and The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Lower ranking royals are behind

They all look amazing. No complaints.

Anyone know why the the Kents, the Earl of Wessex, the Duke of Gloucester and Commander Sir Tim Lawrence did not attend Today ?

Anyone know why the the Kents, the Earl of Wessex, the Duke of Gloucester and Commander Sir Tim Lawrence did not attend Today ?

Earl of Wessex and Duke of Gloucester are attending Commonwealth Lunches and activities elsewhere in the Commonwealth. I didn't catch/can't remember where, but it was discussed during the arrivals of their respective spouses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom