The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-31-2020, 06:31 AM

The Queen in Northern Ireland

Hi everyone, I'm trying to put together a timeline of the Queen visiting Northern Ireland but am having a bit of trouble with the dates before she became Queen.

The date 14 October 1942 keeps coming up on the IWM website images but I can't find another source to verify it.

at the moment I have: 1942, 1945, 1946, 1949

Would anyone have any information that could help?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Belfast

Old 03-31-2020, 03:23 PM

The Queen in Northern Ireland

Hi

The Princess Elizabeth paid a private visit to Comber in 1946 to stand as a Godmother at a Baptism.

http://www.comberhistory.com/chsphoto5.htm

Have you tried the Court Circular archive?

Belfast 19 March 1946 to launch a ship at Harland and Wolff

May 1949 with The Duke of Edinburgh

July 1945 with The King and Queen on the Victory Tour

The King and Queen visited NI in 1942 but I donít see any evidence of Princess Elizabeth accompanying them.

Hillsborough Castle have lots of photos of Princess Elizabeth visiting the Castle.

The present Queenís late Mother, Queen Elizabeth, was a sister of The Countess of Granville (wife of the Governor of NI from 1945-52) and they visited her at Hillsborough Castle on a regular basis.

God Save The Queen!

Old 04-02-2020, 06:35 AM

Thank you for this.

I have found archive photographs on the IWM website showing Princess Elizabeth in NI dated 14 October 1942, I wonder could this be correct?

Here is a link to the collection of images:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/s...=30&style=list

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Mark

Tags
northern ireland, princess elizabeth