The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #421  
Old 09-19-2019, 07:24 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: L'angolo, Vatican City
Posts: 250
The BRF are part of the conservative establishment they have many friends and relatives who have been Conservative MPs and Lords. Their challenge is to appear to be neutral and distinct from the Conservative Party. They have generally been able to act as one-nation conservatives but the appearance is under strain because the Conservative party has been taken over by the far right attitude. It must be unsettling for the BRF. I think HM should honour Nicholas Soames with the Garter. He deserves it for the loyalty he shows to the one nation ethos at least.
__________________

  #422  
Old 09-19-2019, 08:07 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I don't think it is "unreasonable" for the monarch to remain strictly neutral. I think it makes perfect sense. It is the crown that is important not the personal views of the temporary occupant of the office. Political views are neither wanted nor welcome. I suspect a "political" monarch would soon be an ex monarch.

"As Head of State The Queen has to remain strictly neutral with respect to political matters" - a direct quote from the British Monarchy website.

I don't know much about the situation in Belgium but the King of Spain's intervention over Catalonia was not universally appreciated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43193481
I think the Queen must stay neutral in terms of not siding with any particular political party for example, but the Scottish independence referendum was quite different from a general election or any normal partisan contest. A Head of State is supposed to defend the territorial integrity of his/her state. In that sense, it is not unreasonable then for. a Head of State to speak against a political movement that aims at breaking the state apart, as King Felipe did.

Again, I understand your POV, but I still think the Brits take an ultra-orthodox view on the political neutrality of the Crown in matters where the Crown, one could argue, may actually have a duty not to stay neutral.
__________________

  #423  
Old 09-20-2019, 01:50 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I think the Queen must stay neutral in terms of not siding with any particular political party for example, but the Scottish independence referendum was quite different from a general election or any normal partisan contest. A Head of State is supposed to defend the territorial integrity of his/her state. In that sense, it is not unreasonable then for. a Head of State to speak against a political movement that aims at breaking the state apart, as King Felipe did.

Again, I understand your POV, but I still think the Brits take an ultra-orthodox view on the political neutrality of the Crown in matters where the Crown, one could argue, may actually have a duty not to stay neutral.
I can see where you're coming from. It's interesting to hear a different perspective. I guess I think that the present system works well enough which is in itself a reason to continue with things as they are.

Odd as it may sound I don't think that British people are actually that naturally monarchist. I think that the survival of the monarchy into the present day is an accident of history that could very easily have had a different outcome. My instinct is that in terms of a political role the monarchy is tolerated only in so far as it does not take sides in anything remotely politically controversial. I think that the question of the union between England & Scotland is one such topic.

In addition, to be fair to the SNP their policy was/is to retain the monarchy unlike in Catalonia where I think the aim is to establish a republic.
  #424  
Old 09-20-2019, 02:03 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 2,948
On the other hand, isn’t it funny to hear that the Queen drives at breakneck speed? Reminds me of the Beach Boys song, Little Old Lady from Pasadena.
(She drives real fast and she drives real hard.)
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.Ē

Abraham Lincoln
  #425  
Old 09-20-2019, 02:23 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 14,585
Good grief!

Is there anything this man, Cameron, hasn't screwed up?

IMO the greatest threat, if there really is such a threat, to the British monarchy is not that QEII is taking sides, but that she is seen acting on behalf on an agenda by the government.

I think it's very understandable that QEII should urge caution in connection with the Scottish referendum. She is after all the monarch and head of state, with Scotland being a prominent part of the realm - and the BRF as well.
I will even go as far as to say it's her job to urge people to think carefully before casting their vote.
  #426  
Old 09-20-2019, 02:27 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Good grief!

Is there anything this man, Cameron, hasn't screwed up?

IMO the greatest threat, if there really is such a threat, to the British monarchy is not that QEII is taking sides, but that she is seen acting on behalf on an agenda by the government.

I think it's very understandable that QEII should urge caution in connection with the Scottish referendum. She is after all the monarch and head of state, with Scotland being a prominent part of the realm - and the BRF as well.
I will even go as far as to say it's her job to urge people to think carefully before casting their vote.
Urging caution is one thing, but I think that's at the limits of what she can do and still stay in her lane.

I also think that Cameron's indiscretion is likely to make QEII even more restrained and cautious about what she does and does not say to a sitting PM, which is a real shame, since many previous PM's have found their time spent with her to be extremely beneficial.
  #427  
Old 09-20-2019, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,533
I think there are two issues:

Is it okay for the Sovereign of a country to urge her people to think carefully before voting to split the country up? Even with the underlying theme of it being because she doesn't want it to split.

IMO - yes this is what most sovereigns would do and most would want to keep the country together.

On the other hand, is it okay for the Queen to be used by one side of the argument against another (when both sides are made up of her own people) and to for the sovereign to be used for what is essentially political purposes?

IMO - no, the Sovereign should stay neutral in all things political.


To me it is not what the Queen said that is the problem, it was that Cameron asked her to say something that is the issue, well him revealing that he asked for it to happen.

At the time no one could argue with the Queen's words, because no matter what people may have thought HM's private belief was, what she said was purely neutral - how could either the independence or union side of the debate say people shouldn't think carefully about the way they vote. Of course they couldn't, because BP is thorough in its work and worded it so that it appeared neutral and not taking sides. It is Cameron revealing that the Queen did so because (so he makes out) there was worry the vote would go against remaining in the Union, that makes it seems she was taking sides.

It is even worse when you consider BP has been made out as liars for trying to do their job to keep the Queen neutral and exposed as liars by Cameron.

In other words - if the Queen had said what she did without being asked to do so by either side what she said would have been okay, it is why she said it that exposes apparent side taking.
  #428  
Old 09-20-2019, 03:56 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Urging caution is one thing, but I think that's at the limits of what she can do and still stay in her lane.

I also think that Cameron's indiscretion is likely to make QEII even more restrained and cautious about what she does and does not say to a sitting PM, which is a real shame, since many previous PM's have found their time spent with her to be extremely beneficial.
I agree & I think that's a great shame. What on earth was Cameron thinking of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Good grief!

Is there anything this man, Cameron, hasn't screwed up?

IMO the greatest threat, if there really is such a threat, to the British monarchy is not that QEII is taking sides, but that she is seen acting on behalf on an agenda by the government.

I think it's very understandable that QEII should urge caution in connection with the Scottish referendum. She is after all the monarch and head of state, with Scotland being a prominent part of the realm - and the BRF as well.
I will even go as far as to say it's her job to urge people to think carefully before casting their vote.
The monarchy is far less popular in Scotland then elsewhere in the UK. There is the risk of it becoming even less popular if it seen as championing unionist sentiment. Scots obviously know that the British monarch will not be in favour of the dissolution of the UK but many would still resent the monarch entering the public debate & actually saying so.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...port-monarchy/
  #429  
Old 09-20-2019, 04:11 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
The monarchy is far less popular in Scotland then elsewhere in the UK. There is the risk of it becoming even less popular if it seen as championing unionist sentiment. Scots obviously know that the British monarch will not be in favour of the dissolution of the UK but many would still resent the monarch entering the public debate & actually saying so.



https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...port-monarchy/


I mean that poll is ridiculous, the survey takes in 500 people out of a population of 5.425 million.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #430  
Old 09-20-2019, 04:49 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I mean that poll is ridiculous, the survey takes in 500 people out of a population of 5.425 million.
If that was the only evidence of the popularity of the monarchy in Scotland vs the rest of the UK I would take your point but there are other indications that opinion in Scotland is different. This should't surprise us, after all politics in Scotland is becoming increasingly distinct from England. Interestingly the Scottish Greens are officially republican & that is pretty unusual for a British political party.

Here is another link & whilst it shows that the monarchy remains hugely popular it also clearly demonstrates that attitudes are somewhat different in Scotland. Not massively so but enough to be noticed:

"There is little difference in support for the monarchy across England and Wales, but republicanism does appears to have more support in Scotland, with one in five favouring a republic compared to, for example, one in ten in the North of England."

https://whorunsbritain.blogs.lincoln...-the-monarchy/

I would accept that "far less" is perhaps a mischaracterisation of the evidence but there is a demonstrable difference in attitudes north & south of the border.

Maybe one of our Scottish members could give us their perspective?
  #431  
Old 09-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,388
Iím not at all surprised that the opinion is different in Scotland. But polls arenít the most reliable source for that information, particularly not ones that ask just 0.01% of the countries population.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #432  
Old 09-20-2019, 05:43 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I’m not at all surprised that the opinion is different in Scotland. But polls aren’t the most reliable source for that information, particularly not ones that ask just 0.01% of the countries population.
Well of course they're not. There are an indication, a suggestion, nothing more. Polls can be wrong as well.

But if opinion is different in Scotland then the monarchy needs to be careful not to make the difference wider by appearing to take sides on the independence question.

Which take us back to Cameron's irresponsibilty in firstly asking the Queen to become involved & then making things worse by telling us all about it three years later.
  #433  
Old 09-20-2019, 05:54 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I agree & I think that's a great shame. What on earth was Cameron thinking of.
Selling his d***ed book.
  #434  
Old 09-20-2019, 06:05 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Selling his d***ed book.
Cameron has been rich all his life. Born with a silver spoon. If that's his motive then he is as greedy as he is dishonourable.

A really contemptible betrayal of the monarch. Unforgivable.
  #435  
Old 09-20-2019, 06:37 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 14,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I agree & I think that's a great shame. What on earth was Cameron thinking of.
Evidently, he wasn't...

Back to the Scottish referendum.

I doubt QEII's appeal for consideration, would have made much difference for those who were in favor of independence.
Nor would it have made much difference to those who were pro-union and pro-monarchy for that matter.
It was those (I don't know how big percentage) who were undecided or who would likely have stayed at home this was mainly directed at. There QEII's appeal might have moved a percent or two or made them leave their couches to go the ballot booths - and that's mainly due to her huge personal credit IMO.
I suspect it was not the words of the monarch as much as the words of Elizabeth Windsor, who happens to be Queen, that would have made a difference.
I think her words would have appealed just as much to republicans, as to monarchists as well as those who are indifferent.

Of course the Scottish nationalists would make a big song and dance act of out this. - They lost.
Had they won, they would have trumpeted that "the Scottish people were defiant of QEII or the Scottish people were not moved by this desperate appeal by QEII..."
  #436  
Old 09-20-2019, 07:00 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Scottish opinion of the Monarchy worse than even those in N.I. about the Monarchy? Hmmm that would be interesting.



LaRae
  #437  
Old 09-20-2019, 09:39 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Good grief!

Is there anything this man, Cameron, hasn't screwed up?

IMO the greatest threat, if there really is such a threat, to the British monarchy is not that QEII is taking sides, but that she is seen acting on behalf on an agenda by the government.

I think it's very understandable that QEII should urge caution in connection with the Scottish referendum. She is after all the monarch and head of state, with Scotland being a prominent part of the realm - and the BRF as well.
I will even go as far as to say it's her job to urge people to think carefully before casting their vote.
To encourage the people to think carefully about their vote when it came to the Scottish Referendum is not political at all. She is Queen of the United Kingdom and as such is probably more historically invested in keeping the realm intact than any politician.

As to the Queen acting behalf of an agenda by the government? That is her job and credit where credit is due, she has dutifully rolled out the Red Carpet and best champagne for some of the most degenerate dictators in the world at the behest of her government. I cannot, in my wildest imagination, believe that she has enjoyed every carriage ride, guided tour, State Dinner, etc. In fact, it is my personal belief that there are many that when she was finally home and "en famille" that she knocked back more than a few G and T's and said all those things she wished she could say.

Actually, it has been said that she did just that with David Cameron!
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #438  
Old 09-21-2019, 07:09 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Scottish opinion of the Monarchy worse than even those in N.I. about the Monarchy? Hmmm that would be interesting.



LaRae
Ok, well let me put like this - support for the monarchy in NI is entirely predictable depending which of the two traditional communities you belong to, for well known historical reasons.

Support in Scotland is not predictable. Years ago Scottish self rule/independence was just the interest of a small fringe. Now it's mainstream, obviously. Opinions on national identity and the monarchy are not set in stone in Scotland. They are up for debate, especially among the young.

If the future does turn out to be a return to the pre-1707 two kingdoms one king model on the island of Great Britain then the the monarchy needs to hedge its bets in order to head off a potential Scottish republic. That means being non partisan. The monarchy needs to retain the support of Scots who are both monarchists and nationalists. They do exist, holding both opinions is not a contradiction. Why alienate such people?

Articles like this show clearly how easily the monarchy has been dragged into controversy over Scottish issues by the last PM but one.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-scotland-vote
  #439  
Old 09-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Ok, well let me put like this - support for the monarchy in NI is entirely predictable depending which of the two traditional communities you belong to, for well known historical reasons.

Support in Scotland is not predictable. Years ago Scottish self rule/independence was just the interest of a small fringe. Now it's mainstream, obviously. Opinions on national identity and the monarchy are not set in stone in Scotland. They are up for debate, especially among the young.

If the future does turn out to be a return to the pre-1707 two kingdoms one king model on the island of Great Britain then the the monarchy needs to hedge its bets in order to head off a potential Scottish republic. That means being non partisan. The monarchy needs to retain the support of Scots who are both monarchists and nationalists. They do exist, holding both opinions is not a contradiction. Why alienate such people?

Articles like this show clearly how easily the monarchy has been dragged into controversy over Scottish issues by the last PM but one.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-scotland-vote

Ah I see...interesting, thanks! Is there still much of a difference between views in the lowlands vs highlands?



LaRae
  #440  
Old 09-21-2019, 09:32 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Ah I see...interesting, thanks! Is there still much of a difference between views in the lowlands vs highlands?



LaRae

I would imagine opinions on anything are as diverse in Scotland as you would find in England or the US but with some regional/historical differences. But I'm no expert!

I think the old romantic highland/lowland split on monarchy/Jacobites etc (if it ever really existed) is long gone.

The Glasgow Herald & The Scotsman are two well known newspapers in Scotland. They often have some interesting articles on politics & society in Scotland. There's also BBC Scotland.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
british commonwealth, british government, elizabeth ii, margaret thatcher, prime ministers, queen elizabeth ii, tony blair, winston churchill


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queen Elisabeth Of The Belgians (1876-1965) Julia Belgian Royal History 91 06-03-2021 10:54 AM
The Snow Princess: Queen Astrid Of Belgium, Part 1 Julia Belgian Royal History 198 12-12-2006 09:15 AM
Pavlos And Marie Chantal: Current Events December 2002 - October 2003 Julia Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family 76 10-14-2003 08:40 PM




Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian baby names british british royal family buckingham palace camilla camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house commonwealth countries coronation crown jewels daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of sussex edward vii family tree genetics george vi gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan highgrove history hochberg hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos książ castle liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers meghan markle monarchy mongolia mountbatten names plantinum jubilee pless politics portugal prince harry princess eugenie queen consort queen victoria royalty of taiwan st edward sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan thai royal family unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:04 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×