The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 04:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Y'know, typing all this, I wish we had something like this in the US. Seriously.
Well you did have your chance but then there was all that fuss over tea in Boston harbour

Incidentally this is very funny. It's been around for a while so you may already have seen it:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/scotl...1122994249694/

Old 09-04-2019, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

The German satire magazine "Der Postillon" had a "report" on its homepage about the Queen and the Brexit mess:

https://translate.google.de/translat...en-brexit.html

I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
The German satire magazine "Der Postillon" had a "report" on its homepage about the Queen and the Brexit mess:

https://translate.google.de/translat...en-brexit.html
Lovely, enjoyed that. Thank you!

Life is certainly more bearable with the ability to laugh at the absurdity of the human condition
Old 09-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Well you did have your chance but then there was all that fuss over tea in Boston harbour

Incidentally this is very funny. It's been around for a while so you may already have seen it:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/scotl...1122994249694/

This is wonderful! Thank you for sharing; it also helps describe the situations that Canadians often confront, especially the struggle with Microsoft spellcheck!
Old 09-05-2019, 12:15 PM
Majesty

“I understand from a palace source that Boris Johnson will travel to Balmoral tomorrow and stay with the Queen tomorrow night. Plenty to talk about with her 14th prime minister”

Via Rhiannon Mills Twitter
Old 09-05-2019, 01:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
And what should she have done otherwise? Stop the Prime Minister in his tracks? Well, that would exactly acting against the then majority of Parliament and I think against the assumed will of the people!

And imho she has thought about it, quite opposite what you are maybe implying... For an experienced monarch like Queen Elisabeth II. it is surely cristal clear, that not only the UK but the whole Europeland is at some important crossroad here.
The Queen just showed she would sell any royal prerogative for halfpence, in between the soup and the potatoes. She could have known that there was a conspicuous lack of explanation why it is necessary in the case of this particular prorogation to require such an unusually long period of five weeks during which Parliament may not sit even if it wishes to. The Queen could have requested an extendend Council before finally deciding. But no. It was a just a nod and "approved" and this minimal burp in her Scottish holidays was over again. Well, I am impressed by Her Majesty's Most Excellent and Most Courageous stateswomanship. Pffff.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The Queen did exactly as she was supposed to have done. She really had *no* other option but to assent on the advice of her Prime Minister. That's how it works in the UK.

We do not know how the Queen feels about all this and we'll never know. That will never be made public knowledge. We will never really know exactly what happened that day at Balmoral either. What was presented was a *possibility* of how things *may* have gone down.

I read a blip earlier but with a busy day today, I didn't read the report. It said something to the effect that Boris Johnson's brother has resigned his seat in Parliament? Perhaps with Mr. Johnson going to Balmoral for an overnight stay, the Queen will have time to personally sit with the man and truly use her prerogative "to warn and advise". We won't hear about that either.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Could this be a year of 3 Prime Ministers for H.M.The Queen?
Old 09-05-2019, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd love to know what the Queen has really thought of all her Prime Ministers. I always feel the Queen hates confrontation and unpleasantness, whilst still recognising political reality.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I read a blip earlier but with a busy day today, I didn't read the report. It said something to the effect that Boris Johnson's brother has resigned his seat in Parliament? Perhaps with Mr. Johnson going to Balmoral for an overnight stay, the Queen will have time to personally sit with the man and truly use her prerogative "to warn and advise". We won't hear about that either.
That is correct, Jo Johnson was not only an MP but he was also a minister in his brother's cabinet so he has resigned from the Cabinet and as an MP.

The Queen can certainly warn and advise but the problem is that I don't think the Prime Minister listens to anything except what he wants to hear.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:38 AM
Majesty

As the Court of Session in Scotland, the High Court in London has also rejected a legal challenge to the prorogation of Parliament.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49604584

The case will now go to the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom on appeal.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
“I understand from a palace source that Boris Johnson will travel to Balmoral tomorrow and stay with the Queen tomorrow night. Plenty to talk about with her 14th prime minister”

Via Rhiannon Mills Twitter
Court Circular 6th September:
Balmoral Castle

The Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP (Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury) and Ms Carrie Symonds have arrived at the Castle.

The Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP had an audience of The Queen this evening.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:32 AM
Aristocracy

I wonder if The Queen will give the Garter to Nicholas Soames MP (grandson of Winston Churchill and expelled from the Conservative Party last week). He and his family are very close to the BRF.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2008 View Post
I wonder if The Queen will give the Garter to Nicholas Soames MP (grandson of Winston Churchill and expelled from the Conservative Party last week). He and his family are very close to the BRF.
Unlikely, IMO!
Old 09-09-2019, 03:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Court Circular 7th September:
Balmoral Castle

The Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP (Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury) and Ms Carrie Symonds have left the Castle.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
Court Circular 6th September:
Balmoral Castle

The Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP (Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury) and Ms Carrie Symonds have arrived at the Castle.

The Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP had an audience of The Queen this evening.

I am surprised the PM was accompanied by Ms Carrie Symonds.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm not merely as it was announced a while ago that she would be going.

Despite what the media allude to, in recent times I have never known the Queen refuse to invite people to stay because they are not married in more modern times.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I'm not merely as it was announced a while ago that she would be going.

Despite what the media allude to, in recent times I have never known the Queen refuse to invite people to stay because they are not married in more modern times.
We’ll hope they were assigned rooms in opposite wings separated by long and meandering halls!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-09-2019, 08:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
... and get totally lost in said halls should they go wandering in search of each other in the dead of night.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2008 View Post
As Theresa May's honours lists show: even here it is not the Queen but the Prime Minister making the nomination and decision. So it should be Boris Johnson to nominate Nicholas Soames indeed.

By the way: another Tory grandee has quit as well in the meantime: Charles Arthur Valerian Wellesley, the 9th Duke of Wellington, Prins van Waterloo, Duque de Ciudad Rodrigo, Duque da Vitória has left the Tories in the House of Lords, to sit as an independent. He is in the same situation as Mr Soames now without a party whip.

Closed Thread

Tags
british commonwealth, british government, elizabeth ii, margaret thatcher, prime ministers, queen elizabeth ii, tony blair, winston churchill