The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh: Old Pictures and Videos

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you I flower for the link of unseen pictures of the Queen and PP. I love the one of her with a hooded cloak petting the horses nose. So long ago.

He was always so handsome, even as a lad!

He came to visit a youth club/organisation that my mum was in, in about 1960. He'd have been nearly 40 by then, but she said he was incredibly handsome!

Prince Philip met every US President since President Harry Truman. He accompanied The Queen on 451 trips abroad. That's a lot of travel. He visited Australia 21 times and I saw him in Tamworth with The Queen in 1977. The Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme operated in 144 countries. And he and Prince Bernard of the Netherlands were instrumental in getting The World Wildlife Fund up and running. Just a few of the many things he accomplished.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Prince Philip's Best One Liners

Hilarious!!Loved the videos with the best stand-up comedian!

I think that is very much part of remembering Prince Philip too,to find yourself in stitches over his,well,playing with words..foot in mouth or not,there never was too much of that..:lol:

It happens at every funeral,every remembrance...a good laugh will be heard

Lovely pics
Can someone identify the lady in pic 1 and people on pics 2and 8?
Thanks

Thanks

Pic 1 is Georgina, Princess of Liechtenstein, mother of Prince Hans-Adam II
Pic 2 I'm not sure, perhaps some of Prince Philip's German relations?
Pic 8 is the Dutch Royal Family - Queen Juliana, Prince Bernhard, Princess Beatrix, and ? Princess Irene

Thank you so much
Pic 1 is Georgina, Princess of Liechtenstein, mother of Prince Hans-Adam II
Pic 2 I'm not sure, perhaps some of Prince Philip's German relations?
Pic 8 is the Dutch Royal Family - Queen Juliana, Prince Bernhard, Princess Beatrix, and ? Princess Irene

Thanks, I wonder If the two ladies left and right to him are his sisters. The lady at his right with the red skirt look a little with the lady who was with him when he was in Israel, when his mother was honored.

Talking about his sisters, did they have any kind of relationship close or not? They have a certain age gap, and they have been estranged because of WWII, did they manage to retake any kind if contact after?
I know that he took his mother to live in Buckingham when dictatorship happened in Greece, but what about the sisters?

Thank you so much
Number 2 is also Gina of Lichtenstein. That is her husband Franz Josef next to her.

Last edited:
Thanks, I wonder If the two ladies left and right to him are his sisters. The lady at his right with the red skirt look a little with the lady who was with him when he was in Israel, when his mother was honored.

Talking about his sisters, did they have any kind of relationship close or not? They have a certain age gap, and they have been estranged because of WWII, did they manage to retake any kind if contact after?
I know that he took his mother to live in Buckingham when dictatorship happened in Greece, but what about the sisters?

I think they were as close as they could be with the age gap, Sophie the youngest especially. Philip basically hitched halfway across a newly-liberated Europe so he could attend her second wedding in Germany, and Sophie said she was amazed at how much of their father's mannerisms and sense of humor he seemed to have.

Thanks @Prinsara. I'm Greek so Prince Philip and his family is somehow a part of our history n
It is strange that, despite that his 4 sisters well very well married with German princes, except the one whose husband was owning the Salem school, no-one of the others seem to have taken care of him as a young boy, while separated from his parents. I'm talking about the period before Pcs Cecilia and her whole family was killed.

Strange to modern eyes and non-1930s British culture maybe, but back then you sent your kid to school if you had the money and only saw them on holidays, so that probably would have seemed about the most normal place for Philip to be. Also Prince Andreas had final say, so I imagine he thought it would be better for the prep school and Alice's family to look after him in England than for any of his sisters to take the responsibility (Sophie, for one, was all of 16 when she got married).

Lovely pics
Can someone identify the lady in pic 1 and people on pics 2and 8?
Thanks

Thanks

In pic 2 are Prince Georg Wilhelm of Hannover, Fürst Franz Jossph II.of Liechtenstein, Fürstin Gina of Liechtenstein, don't recognize her, Philip, Princess Sophie of Hannover, the Queen.
Pic 8: Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, Philip,. the Queen, Prince Bernhard, Queen Juliana and Princess Irene of the Netherlands

Maybe. My understanding is the opposite. That this young boy was left alone without anyone willing to take care of him, and hopefully his uncles filled the gap, because his sisters didn't.
If it was a parents' choice and not a necessity, it makes sense.
One point I disagree. It is known that they didn't have any money as they left Greece without nothing. For the first 10 years of his life, the family was living in Paris (Saint-Cloud) thanks to help of Princess Maria Bonaparte, wife of his uncle Prince George of Greece.
Furthermore, royalty has returned in Greece in 1935, so maybe family received some funds to leave and Princess Alice returned to Greece, alone.
Strange to modern eyes and non-1930s British culture maybe, but back then you sent your kid to school if you had the money and only saw them on holidays, so that probably would have seemed about the most normal place for Philip to be. Also Prince Andreas had final say, so I imagine he thought it would be better for the prep school and Alice's family to look after him in England than for any of his sisters to take the responsibility (Sophie, for one, was all of 16 when she got married).

From a Royal Fan's instagram account, there are four pictures of Prince Philip at 7 years old winning a biscuit eating competition. I have never seen these pictures before.
@windsor.royal.family
Prince Philip aged seven winning a biscuit eating competition in Paris. ? ?
1d​
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNf0TS5nTxC/

From a Royal Fan's instagram account, there are four pictures of Prince Philip at 7 years old winning a biscuit eating competition. I have never seen these pictures before.
@windsor.royal.family
Prince Philip aged seven winning a biscuit eating competition in Paris. ? ?
1d​

It's from a book. The Young Prince Philip by Philip Eade. He certainly was a gorgeous little boy. How could anyone not just adore him.

Sp good looking to. An absolute Nordic God.

Lovely pics , very pretty boy. The upper right picture, is really him, mimics went throughout the decades.
Talking about his young years in France, I know that he was fluent in French language. Did not manage to find any video of him talking French. Does someone has any? Speaking German also, as I know that he speaks also, maybe less fluently than French
Thanks.
@windsor.royal.family
Prince Philip aged seven winning a biscuit eating competition in Paris. [emoji514] [emoji38]
1d​

Maybe. My understanding is the opposite. That this young boy was left alone without anyone willing to take care of him, and hopefully his uncles filled the gap, because his sisters didn't.

At that time, it was common for boys and even girls from upper-class or upper-middle-class children to be sent to boarding school, and some of them were unable to go home in the holidays because their parents were working in India or in British colonies in Africa. But it's rather sad that Philip seems to have been passed around like a parcel during the holidays - sometimes with his grandmother, sometimes with the Mountbattens, sometimes with the Milford Havens. The one who abdicated responsibility was his father: it was really up to him, not the sisters, to look after Philip, but he seems to have been too busy living it up on the Riviera with his mistress.

This video with parts of an interview undertaken in 1969 was uploaded last Friday.

He is asked about the difficulties of his position; to which he answers that it is difficult and that there is only one other person in his position, and that is prince Bernhard of the Netherlands.

He is also asked about abdication; while he agrees that it would have its advantages. He isn't sure it outweighs the disadvantages: he stresses how the heir is able to do a lot that he might not do as a Sovereign. It seems he had the foresight that Charles would be really crafting a role for himself in his role as heir; which at that point was only in its very early stages.

Wonderful photo of Prince Philip with his cousin ,King Michael of Romania as children.
https://images.app.goo.gl/WkVgj1KsuUvzFhxU8

That is a tremendous link, thanks. Lots of wonderful old photos. I never realised he was so close to the Romanian side.

I had to take a quick look at the family tree after seeing the photos.

King Constantine I (of Greece) B 1868 ------------- younger brother Andrew B 1882
Dau Helen B 1896 ------------------- -------------------------- Andrews son Philip B 1921
Helen m Carol II of Romania
her son Michael B 1921

So King Michael of Romania is a second cousin to Prince Philip. As Queen Helen of Romania (mother of michael) is Philips first cousin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely pics , very pretty boy. The upper right picture, is really him, mimics went throughout the decades.
Talking about his young years in France, I know that he was fluent in French language. Did not manage to find any video of him talking French. Does someone has any? Speaking German also, as I know that he speaks also, maybe less fluently than French
Thanks.

Here's three occasions where he spoke French:

Edit:
And here's when he spoke German

It's also said that he's fluent in Danish, but I don't remember ever watched any (then again, I'm not an avid follower of Philip in the past, mostly just WWF-related one so don't count on me).

Last edited:
That is a tremendous link, thanks. Lots of wonderful old photos. I never realised he was so close to the Romanian side.

No nor did until I thought about the close family links.

Back
Top Bottom