The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #342  
Old 04-10-2021, 03:56 AM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 7,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Prince Philip's Best One Liners
Hilarious!!Loved the videos with the best stand-up comedian!

I think that is very much part of remembering Prince Philip too,to find yourself in stitches over his,well,playing with words..foot in mouth or not,there never was too much of that..

It happens at every funeral,every remembrance...a good laugh will be heard
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old 04-10-2021, 04:33 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Lovely pics
Can someone identify the lady in pic 1 and people on pics 2and 8?
Thanks


Thanks
Pic 1 is Georgina, Princess of Liechtenstein, mother of Prince Hans-Adam II
Pic 2 I'm not sure, perhaps some of Prince Philip's German relations?
Pic 8 is the Dutch Royal Family - Queen Juliana, Prince Bernhard, Princess Beatrix, and ? Princess Irene
Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:51 AM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Angola
Posts: 4,891
Thank you so much
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
Pic 1 is Georgina, Princess of Liechtenstein, mother of Prince Hans-Adam II
Pic 2 I'm not sure, perhaps some of Prince Philip's German relations?
Pic 8 is the Dutch Royal Family - Queen Juliana, Prince Bernhard, Princess Beatrix, and ? Princess Irene
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old 04-10-2021, 08:03 AM
AC21091968's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,437
There are some photos of Prince Philip as a child from the ABC article that I have not seen before.

The man who wouldn’t be king
Banished from his home, Philip gave up his crown, country and career to be with Elizabeth.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...tuary/11866000
Reply With Quote
  #346  
Old 04-10-2021, 09:17 AM
tihkon2's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stafford, United States
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Lovely pics
Can someone identify the lady in pic 1 and people on pics 2and 8?
Thanks


Thanks
Number 2 is also Gina of Lichtenstein. That is her husband Franz Josef next to her.
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 04-10-2021, 09:41 AM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Angola
Posts: 4,891
Thanks, I wonder If the two ladies left and right to him are his sisters. The lady at his right with the red skirt look a little with the lady who was with him when he was in Israel, when his mother was honored.

Talking about his sisters, did they have any kind of relationship close or not? They have a certain age gap, and they have been estranged because of WWII, did they manage to retake any kind if contact after?
I know that he took his mother to live in Buckingham when dictatorship happened in Greece, but what about the sisters?



Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Thank you so much
Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
Number 2 is also Gina of Lichtenstein. That is her husband Franz Josef next to her.
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 04-10-2021, 10:24 AM
Prinsara's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: A place to grow, Canada
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Thanks, I wonder If the two ladies left and right to him are his sisters. The lady at his right with the red skirt look a little with the lady who was with him when he was in Israel, when his mother was honored.

Talking about his sisters, did they have any kind of relationship close or not? They have a certain age gap, and they have been estranged because of WWII, did they manage to retake any kind if contact after?
I know that he took his mother to live in Buckingham when dictatorship happened in Greece, but what about the sisters?
I think they were as close as they could be with the age gap, Sophie the youngest especially. Philip basically hitched halfway across a newly-liberated Europe so he could attend her second wedding in Germany, and Sophie said she was amazed at how much of their father's mannerisms and sense of humor he seemed to have.
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 04-10-2021, 10:37 AM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Angola
Posts: 4,891
Thanks @Prinsara. I'm Greek so Prince Philip and his family is somehow a part of our history n
It is strange that, despite that his 4 sisters well very well married with German princes, except the one whose husband was owning the Salem school, no-one of the others seem to have taken care of him as a young boy, while separated from his parents. I'm talking about the period before Pcs Cecilia and her whole family was killed.
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 04-10-2021, 10:54 AM
Prinsara's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: A place to grow, Canada
Posts: 1,501
Strange to modern eyes and non-1930s British culture maybe, but back then you sent your kid to school if you had the money and only saw them on holidays, so that probably would have seemed about the most normal place for Philip to be. Also Prince Andreas had final say, so I imagine he thought it would be better for the prep school and Alice's family to look after him in England than for any of his sisters to take the responsibility (Sophie, for one, was all of 16 when she got married).
Reply With Quote
  #351  
Old 04-10-2021, 11:01 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Lovely pics
Can someone identify the lady in pic 1 and people on pics 2and 8?
Thanks


Thanks

In pic 2 are Prince Georg Wilhelm of Hannover, Fürst Franz Jossph II.of Liechtenstein, Fürstin Gina of Liechtenstein, don't recognize her, Philip, Princess Sophie of Hannover, the Queen.
Pic 8: Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, Philip,. the Queen, Prince Bernhard, Queen Juliana and Princess Irene of the Netherlands
__________________
Stefan



Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 04-10-2021, 11:10 AM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Angola
Posts: 4,891
Maybe. My understanding is the opposite. That this young boy was left alone without anyone willing to take care of him, and hopefully his uncles filled the gap, because his sisters didn't.
If it was a parents' choice and not a necessity, it makes sense.
One point I disagree. It is known that they didn't have any money as they left Greece without nothing. For the first 10 years of his life, the family was living in Paris (Saint-Cloud) thanks to help of Princess Maria Bonaparte, wife of his uncle Prince George of Greece.
Furthermore, royalty has returned in Greece in 1935, so maybe family received some funds to leave and Princess Alice returned to Greece, alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Strange to modern eyes and non-1930s British culture maybe, but back then you sent your kid to school if you had the money and only saw them on holidays, so that probably would have seemed about the most normal place for Philip to be. Also Prince Andreas had final say, so I imagine he thought it would be better for the prep school and Alice's family to look after him in England than for any of his sisters to take the responsibility (Sophie, for one, was all of 16 when she got married).
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 04-12-2021, 08:28 AM
AC21091968's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,437
From a Royal Fan's instagram account, there are four pictures of Prince Philip at 7 years old winning a biscuit eating competition. I have never seen these pictures before.
@windsor.royal.family
Prince Philip aged seven winning a biscuit eating competition in Paris. 🍪 😆
1d
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNf0TS5nTxC/
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 04-12-2021, 06:08 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
From a Royal Fan's instagram account, there are four pictures of Prince Philip at 7 years old winning a biscuit eating competition. I have never seen these pictures before.
@windsor.royal.family
Prince Philip aged seven winning a biscuit eating competition in Paris. 🍪 😆
1d
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNf0TS5nTxC/
It's from a book. The Young Prince Philip by Philip Eade. He certainly was a gorgeous little boy. How could anyone not just adore him.

Sp good looking to. An absolute Nordic God.
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 04-13-2021, 03:13 AM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Angola
Posts: 4,891
Lovely pics , very pretty boy. The upper right picture, is really him, mimics went throughout the decades.
Talking about his young years in France, I know that he was fluent in French language. Did not manage to find any video of him talking French. Does someone has any? Speaking German also, as I know that he speaks also, maybe less fluently than French
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
From a Royal Fan's instagram account, there are four pictures of Prince Philip at 7 years old winning a biscuit eating competition. I have never seen these pictures before.
@windsor.royal.family
Prince Philip aged seven winning a biscuit eating competition in Paris.
1d
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNf0TS5nTxC/
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 04-13-2021, 07:17 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhķ, Ireland
Posts: 31,965
Wonderful photo of Prince Philip with his cousin ,King Michael of Romania as children.
https://images.app.goo.gl/WkVgj1KsuUvzFhxU8
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 04-13-2021, 07:38 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Maybe. My understanding is the opposite. That this young boy was left alone without anyone willing to take care of him, and hopefully his uncles filled the gap, because his sisters didn't.
At that time, it was common for boys and even girls from upper-class or upper-middle-class children to be sent to boarding school, and some of them were unable to go home in the holidays because their parents were working in India or in British colonies in Africa. But it's rather sad that Philip seems to have been passed around like a parcel during the holidays - sometimes with his grandmother, sometimes with the Mountbattens, sometimes with the Milford Havens. The one who abdicated responsibility was his father: it was really up to him, not the sisters, to look after Philip, but he seems to have been too busy living it up on the Riviera with his mistress.
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 04-13-2021, 07:28 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 7,596
Prince Philip accompanied Princess Margaret on her wedding day.
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 04-13-2021, 09:28 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,661
This video with parts of an interview undertaken in 1969 was uploaded last Friday.



He is asked about the difficulties of his position; to which he answers that it is difficult and that there is only one other person in his position, and that is prince Bernhard of the Netherlands.

He is also asked about abdication; while he agrees that it would have its advantages. He isn't sure it outweighs the disadvantages: he stresses how the heir is able to do a lot that he might not do as a Sovereign. It seems he had the foresight that Charles would be really crafting a role for himself in his role as heir; which at that point was only in its very early stages.
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 04-13-2021, 11:20 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Wonderful photo of Prince Philip with his cousin ,King Michael of Romania as children.

https://images.app.goo.gl/WkVgj1KsuUvzFhxU8

That is a great photo. Love his smile.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, pictures, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 21: October 2009-August 2010 Zonk Current Events Archive 593 08-21-2010 03:06 AM
Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 20: March-October 2009 Warren Current Events Archive 484 10-21-2009 11:06 PM
Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 19: October 2008-March 2009 Warren Current Events Archive 511 03-27-2009 11:15 AM
Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 18: May-October 2008 Warren Current Events Archive 221 10-14-2008 08:57 AM
Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 17: January-May 2008 Warren Current Events Archive 209 05-03-2008 11:32 AM




Popular Tags
america archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian baptism british british royal family british royals camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house commonwealth countries crown jewels customs daisy doge of venice duchess of sussex duke of sussex elizabeth ii family tree fashion and style genetics george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! highgrove history hochberg house of windsor jack brooksbank japan japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos książ castle liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers luxembourg monarchist movements monarchists mongolia pless politics prince harry queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal ancestry royalty of taiwan speech st edward suthida swedish queen taiwan thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×