The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-17-2020, 04:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
What I find amazing is that the Queen's hairstyle is basically the same today as it was back in 1934. I guess she found what suited her best and stuck with it.
It's mildly amazing to think she's never, ever had long hair. I suppose the closest was around when she got married, but it's debatable?

I can't get over Anne's truly Philip-passed platinum hair as a child, either.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:14 PM
Courtier

It's a great idea. No embarrassing bad fashion photos to look back on! I've got some horrendous photos of my teenage self with huge Dynasty-type hair in the late '80s, and photos of my mum with a huge beehive hairstyle in the late '60s. Not to mention the clothes that seemed really cool at the time but don't now. The Queen's got it right!

Old 05-27-2020, 05:15 PM
Aristocracy

This popped up for me on YouTube. I've never heard the whole thing. It's very striking and moving. She sounds so much younger than 13, but she really has been getting it right for 80 years.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:43 PM
Courtier

The bit when she says at the end "come on Margaret" is rather sweet.

Margaret doesn't come across as shy at all.

I do agree about it being moving, especially when you think of the real danger that Britain was in at that point of falling to the darkness of Nazism.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
The bit when she says at the end "come on Margaret" is rather sweet.

Margaret doesn't come across as shy at all.

I do agree about it being moving, especially when you think of the real danger that Britain was in at that point of falling to the darkness of Nazism.
Shy, I think was one thing Margaret was never accused of! Now why she sounds almost American in that half a second... I must be hearing things.

Historical danger, current crisis, and just how very long HM has had to cope with the world going mad around her. It's a good thing she has so much equanimity.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I can't think of any 13 year old girls I've ever known (including myself) that could be put on par with a 13 year old Princess Elizabeth who was not only willing and able to make a speech to children everywhere globally that were displaced because of the Blitz but also to make a speech and come across as truly knowing and feeling what she was saying and meaning it. She had the seriousness of an adult.

It may have been a child's speech to children but it most definitely shows the depth of the Queen's commitment to not only duty to her country but also the depth of her inner fortitude which has really served her well over the many decades to come since that speech at 13 years old.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I can't think of any 13 year old girls I've ever known (including myself) that could be put on par with a 13 year old Princess Elizabeth who was not only willing and able to make a speech to children everywhere globally that were displaced because of the Blitz but also to make a speech and come across as truly knowing and feeling what she was saying and meaning it. She had the seriousness of an adult.

It may have been a child's speech to children but it most definitely shows the depth of the Queen's commitment to not only duty to her country but also the depth of her inner fortitude which has really served her well over the many decades to come since that speech at 13 years old.
Nope, look no further than Leonor and Sofia in Spain, who just did more or less the same thing and tried to send a message to their contemporaries — and while I thought they did it pretty well and sincerely, there was still enough Internet backlash about them being spoiled rich girls in a palace who didn't know anything.

The world has changed, people are more cynical, maybe, and "The Queen's Speech" is not just something special now — it seems to have been a gift she's always had in her from way back.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:52 AM

When you think about how drastically society has changed since the Queen was born, its almost overwhelming. I think she has done an amazing job of maintaining both her personal beliefs and her commitment to her role as Queen. She has been able to adapt and keep the respect of most of her subjects without having to take the low road. I hope the Prince of Wales can be the monarch his mother is.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

It may really be inconsequential but I've just started binge watching "Downton Abbey" from the first episode. One thing that has struck me is the thought that "this is before the Queen was born" and then "this is when the Queen was born" as the series spans the years 1912-1926. It may be fiction but it presents the era which the Queen was born into. So much has really changed since 1926 and you made a very good point, Merrie.

If there ever was someone who has had a lifelong, hands-on (in may ways) training to be a monarch, its the Prince of Wales. I don't think he'll disappoint the people at all as a king. He's more than ready.

Welcome to TRF, Merrie! Good to see you jumping in posting!
Old 06-04-2020, 01:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrie View Post
When you think about how drastically society has changed since the Queen was born, its almost overwhelming. I think she has done an amazing job of maintaining both her personal beliefs and her commitment to her role as Queen. She has been able to adapt and keep the respect of most of her subjects without having to take the low road. I hope the Prince of Wales can be the monarch his mother is.
Indeed. The fabric of society, and life in general has changed materially within the lifetime of the Queen. She has demonstrated a nimbleness to adapt to a changing world, perhaps a great strength of the Windsor dynasty over the years.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I think it's pretty amazing that a large number of people in the UK have only known HM as the monarch - this alone shows the influence she has had on the country.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-04-2020, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I think it's pretty amazing that a large number of people in the UK have only known HM as the monarch - this alone shows the influence she has had on the country.
In 2018 about 82% of the population was born after she ascended the throne (in my quick search I found population data for 2018 not for 2019 or 2020); so it's probably up to 84% or 85% by now.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:54 PM
Majesty

Of course, when you say people who have only 'known' the Queen as their monarch, that would encompass those who were born between say 1948 and 1952 as well, I think. There's a limit on what the memory retains at under five years of age.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:54 PM
Aristocracy

I remember always seeing her on black and white TV. My mom would always point out the Queen....live in the USA born in 1951. She is an amazing lady....even if people did not always agree with her. The Queens reign has not been easy, I bet she would have liked to be a plain unknown citizen many times. She always makes me smile.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Of course, when you say people who have only 'known' the Queen as their monarch, that would encompass those who were born between say 1948 and 1952 as well, I think. There's a limit on what the memory retains at under five years of age.
I would fall into this category. I was under a month old when George VI died on February 6, 1952. I do not remember it happening.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:36 PM
Majesty

I have a couple of years on you Osipi, and can remember, just, seeing the Queen's Coronation at a neighbour's house in England on a very small-screened TV. Not a complete memory just a few flashes, and I suspect that it would be similar for Charles, born in November 1948. Hardly a memory of his grandfather the King, and a few fleeting impressions of his mother's Coronation that he attended.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:33 PM

I hope HRH has had a wonderful birthday! Happy 99th Sir!
Old 06-10-2020, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I'm afraid I'm in the "looks photoshopped" camp - it does seem strange that they couldn't find a new-ish photo of HM and Prince Philip at Windsor to share. Nevertheless Philip looks fantastic for someone who is just a year's shy of being a century!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-14-2020, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Here's a video from this day June 14th,1989 when H.M. The Queen honoured the former President Ronald Reagan with an honourary knighthood at Buckingham Palace .The former US president was accompanied by his wife Nancy Regan ,The Duke of Edinburgh was also present and greeted the couple.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, pictures, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii