The Queen and Canada: Residences, Governor General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, on the issue of WWI, I find it interesting how Canada and Australia had very similar war experiences there - incompetent British generals using their colonial troops as cannon fodder. You have Gallipole, we have Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele. But somehow we have a different lasting outlook on a similar experience.

In the article, Robert Finch, Dominion Chairman of the Monarchist League of Canada, says he has heard there’s a “realistic possibility” that William and Kate might tour the country this year, which would likely rule them out for 2017.

He said he wasn’t sure his information about a 2016 tour by William and Kate was entirely accurate, “but I had it from more than one person, both in Ottawa and in London.”

.... Hmmmm very interesting

Don’t be surprised if there is a regal presence on Parliament Hill when Canadians celebrate the country’s 150th anniversary on July 1, 2017.

Canadian Heritage officials raised that tantalizing prospect in a November 2015 briefing note prepared for Heritage Minister Mélanie Joly that discusses plans for Canada Day 2017 celebrations on Parliament Hill.

“Canada Day 2017 presents an opportunity to host a royal tour,” the officials observe in the briefing note, adding: “It is customary for members of the Royal Family who are in Canada on July 1 to join Canadians on Parliament Hill to celebrate the day.”
Read more: Government mulling royal visit to mark Canada Day 2017 celebrations in Ottawa | Ottawa Citizen

Last edited:

Though she turns 90 this April, Finch suggested that prominent member could be the Queen, who last visited Canada in 2010.

“Maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part, but I think the natural or obvious royal for 2017 would be the Queen herself,” he said. “She was here for the Centennial in 1967 and was here for Canada 125. It’s the obvious choice.”

If the Queen were to come, Finch said, no one would expect her to undertake a long, cross-country tour. But a short visit to attend Canada Day celebrations in Ottawa would be reasonable, he said. “It would be a great celebration.”

I know that Philip visited Canada at the age of 91 in April 2013, but I would still be very surprised if the Queen chooses to do the same in order to attend the 2017 Canada Day celebrations.

I think the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall will attend the 2017 Canada Day celebrations.

If the Queen did attend in 2017 she would surely have to come without Prince Philip who would then be almost 96, and that doesn't seem likely.

I'm sure both HM and the DoE would love to be there in Ottawa for this but as willing as the spirit is, the realities of the flesh place limitations. I don't see either of them making the long trip to Canada.

I can, however, see Charles and Camilla going and Charles reading a very endearing missive from his mother to the people of Canada.

But how long does it take to fly to Canada from London? I suppose it depends on what part you're flying to, but, assuming HM is feeling well, I wouldn't be surprised if she made the trip for such an important occasion, and I think Philip would give it a go, too, if he was up to it. ETA I just noticed the event will be in Ottawa. Apparently the flying time is about 8 hours. The train trip from Balmoral to London is four or five hours. These are tough people. Old, but tough. I wouldn't rule them out.

Last edited:
If the Queen did attend in 2017 she would surely have to come without Prince Philip who would then be almost 96, and that doesn't seem likely.

I don't know. Obviously things can change very quickly at that age, but if they're not able to come (assuming it's even being considered), it wouldn't actually surprise me if it was concerns about her ability to travel that were the main factor. I think he's actually made long-distance plane trips more recently than she has, and she's the one who seems to be having more trouble with things like stairs.

Last edited:
But how long does it take to fly to Canada from London? I suppose it depends on what part you're flying to, but, assuming HM is feeling well, I wouldn't be surprised if she made the trip for such an important occasion, and I think Philip would give it a go, too, if he was up to it. ETA I just noticed the event will be in Ottawa. Apparently the flying time is about 8 hours. The train trip from Balmoral to London is four or five hours. These are tough people. Old, but tough. I wouldn't rule them out.

There is major difference between taking a train and flying though. Especially when you consider how the queen travels by train. 8 hours on a trans-atlantic flight is not easy even on younger people at times. And yes, the main Canada day celebrations are held in our capital.

There is no time change between London & Balmoral. There is a significant one between London and Canada.

The time change messes you up more than the actual travel hours.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
The Royal Family ‏@RoyalFamily
A message from The Queen to @GGDavidJohnston following the news of the wild fires in #FortMcMurray #Canada
Prince Philip and I were shocked and saddened by the news of wild fires that are causing such devastation to Fort McMurray. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those who have been affected, and we send our heartfelt thanks to the firefighters and the other emergency workers.

ELIZABETH R

Last edited:
The Royal Family ‏@RoyalFamily
A message from The Queen to @GGDavidJohnston following the news of the wild fires in #FortMcMurray #Canada

I haven't seen the original message, but I doubt Her Majesty would write: "Prince Philip and I was shocked[...]" as opposed to "Prince Philip and I were shocked [...]".

I haven't seen the original message, but I doubt Her Majesty would write: "Prince Philip and I was shocked[...]" as opposed to "Prince Philip and I were shocked [...]".

The message was posted as a picture on twitter and therefore I couldn't copy the text. I should have looked on it more closely when I wrote it, but I've corrected it now.

The public is invited to an afternoon of music, marching, pageantry and precision at the Governor General and Commander-in-Chief's Military Tattoo on Saturday, May 14, 2016, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Rideau Hall.

This event will honour the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) and pay tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, who is celebrating her 90th birthday this year.‎

This military tattoo is presented in collaboration with the Canadian Armed Forces and will feature the Royal Military College of Canada, the Governor General's Horse Guards, the Governor General's Foot Guards and Band, the Canadian Grenadier Guards and the Central Band of the Canadian Armed Forces.

CNW Group

Canada's place in the monarchy is one of the things that unites the country, says Gov. Gen. David Johnston.

Canada's "remarkable diversity" works because some things, like the monarchy, "holds us together," Johnston told CTV's Question Period.

Johnston says, over a thousand years, constitutional monarchies have evolved into a stable form of government.
Read more: Monarchy 'holds us together,' says Canada's governor general | CTV News

:previous: That's interesting! So the rights and status of the Canadian indigenous people are guaranteed (in contrast to being defined) by the crown and not the Canadian legislation?

Last edited:
:previous: That's interesting! So the rights and status of the Canadian indigenous people are guaranteed (in contrast to being defined) by the crown and not the Canadian legislation?

It seems that's what it's saying.

:previous: The relationship between the aboriginal people and the government seems, at least to me, to be highly politicized--with mistrust on both sides. The relationship between them and the Queen seems to be an affectionate one, from what I've seen; and there also seems to be a greater acknowledgement of the place of the Crown. Treaty Day is a really big deal.

Basically the treaties were written before Canadian independence. So the treaties with the indigenous population were formed between the Crown and the tribes, not the Canadian government. Simply because there was no government as it stands with our own legislature an constitution, at the time. Which makes making any real changes hard, for its not a simple matter of a petition for change to the Canadian parliament. Any changes to such treaties fall to the queen, not to our government. John A MacDonald did attempt to change that but never succeeded.

The issue seems to be that not enough importance has been placed on the queen's role with the indigenous populations. The want her role as their political leader more defined, so it can gain more attention. They hope if the queen and her representatives pay more attention, changes can be made.

This article is hugely biased, misleading, and not altogether accurate.

Statements like "Michaëlle Jean, in her role as governor general, was the first to witness survivor accounts of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. David Johnston was one of the last" imply things that aren't true. You read that and think there have been a long line of Governor Generals, starting with Micheälle Jean and continuing on to the present (with Johnston falling somewhere near the present), witnessing this commission. Except their hasn't; Johnston is the current GG, and Jean is his immediate predecessor.

Aboriginal affairs falls under federal jurisdiction, and the federal government acts on behalf of the Crown in all matters relating to Aboriginals in Canada - just like they act on behalf of the Crown on all matters relating to national defence, or currency, or any other federal matter. The Queen or GG has the same responsibilities here that they have to any other federal matter.

Treaties in Canada were signed before confederation by various officials depending on the territory/who was in charge (i.e. in BC, the Douglas treaties were signed by James Douglas, then Governor of the Colony of Victoria). Shortly after Confederation, the federal government signed the Numbered treaties (11 between 1871 and 1921), then halted the treaty process (because of purely racist reasoning), with a focus on eradication of Canada's Aboriginal population, until the 1970s, when the federal government began what is a rather painstaking slow modern treaty process that attempts to actually bridge some reconciliation between Canada and the Aboriginals. One of the major modern treaties, the Nisga'a Final Agreement, was signed in 1998 by several important Nisga'a leaders, the then-Premier of BC, and the then Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development - not the Lieutenant Governor of BC, or the Governor General of Canada, or the Queen.

Last edited:
I see, so the events (or lack of them) between 1921 and the 70's explain the indigenous feeling of - shall we say - adherence to the GC and QEII rather than the Canadian government?

Perhaps it's time for the younger members of the royal family to get more involved with the indigenous people and their affairs.

Back
Top Bottom