The Queen and Canada: Residences, Governor General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a white Canadian (families been here for generations) and from English Ontario (I live in Ottawa at the moment) and she is one of MY role models :D I have a picture of her on my desk for essay writing inspriation.

I liked the clothes she choose for the day, I think since most of the comments were Adrienne Clarkson was a great GG except for her spending. Good that she looked sensible. I have high hopes for her.

Question & it might sound stupid (the question :D ), but I really don't know that much about Canada's Politics & certain roles like the Governor General. I looked for some info on othe pages but I couldn't find a lot of info so I figured I'd ask you all.
What exactly is the Governor General's role? Is it largely ceremonial? How long is a person a Governor General for?

Lady Jennifer said:
Question & it might sound stupid (the question :D ), but I really don't know that much about Canada's Politics & certain roles like the Governor General. I looked for some info on othe pages but I couldn't find a lot of info so I figured I'd ask you all.
What exactly is the Governor General's role? Is it largely ceremonial? How long is a person a Governor General for?

The role of the Governor General is largely ceremonial and it is to represent the head of state, HM The Queen, in Canada and to represent the Queen of Canada and Canadians on the world stage. Although often a ceremonial role, the Governor General has a very cultural role as well. Sometimes the Governor General can be dragged into politics as the former Governor General was recently when the Government almost fell in May (during HM's visit to Saskatchewan and Alberta).

There is no fixed term for the Governor General but it is usually five years. Romeo LeBlanc's term lasted just over four years upon his retirement, and Adrienne Clarkson's term was extended by one year to six years, ending on Tuesday.

The GG signs all bills into law, is the commander in chief of the armed forces, hosts state dinners, present honours and awards and hosts state dinners (almost the same job as the Queen)

It is all ceremonial and usually lasts for 6-8 years.

edited to add I was posting at the same time bweir ;)

Last edited:
Thanks bweir & Oppie. Another question....what is the difference then between the GG & PM? Isn't the PM also representing the head of state (the Queen)? Wouldn't the PM sign all bills into law, be the commander in chief of the armed forces, hosts state dinners, present honours and awards, etc.? Sorry for all the questions- just curious.....its so different & interesting (for us who don't have a GG).

Last edited:
The GG is nominated by the PM. Of course our PM gets approval from our Majesty the Queen.

The GG, like the Queen, is apolitical, not involved in daily politics. Sometimes a very valuable person such as Madame Jean can be quiet down by her function as GG. We (well I) hope it will not be the case and that she will find a way to pass her message of unity and of reaching out to others.

The PM is the chief of government - not the chief of state. The G8, for example, reunites the chiefs of state (Bush for example) and chiefs of governments (Blair, Martin, for example) of the 8 countries blablabla.. If it was only the chiefs of state, then we would have Mr Bush and the Queen and our GG (+ the other 5 leaders of course). The Queen and the GG having to be apolitical, they would be allowed to only listen and smile, that's why Britain and Canada have their PM at those meetings. On important and highly symbolic events - such as remembering the 60th anniversary of the end of WW2 - sometimes both the GG and the PM assist to the event, the GG doing the symbolic work.

Like Tony Blair in Britain, our PM is the elected leader of our government. Bills will be initiated by him and his government but to have the force of law they have to be signed by the GG (like they have to be signed by the Queen in Britain). In our short history I think there was only one time where the GG refused to sign a bill presented by the government - they mentioned it on TV last week I believe it was about a minority government wanting to go to elections but I can't really recall for sure.

To have the force of law, a bill must be signed by the GG. A bill is first voted by the parliement (our elected representatives), then voted by the senate (our nominated representatives) then signed by the GG. The vote by the Senate and the signature by the GG are almost always automatic.

Like the Queen, the GG has weekly talks with the PM where they discuss internal and external affairs. In Britain the Queen is apparently a very well informed lady and privately shares her opinions and suggestions to her PM (she became Queen a year before or after Mr Blair was born); it is believe or anticipated that Michaelle Jean could bring to our actual PM a warmer and more human side.

That's about it.

She is beautiful, intelligent, and will do Canada proud.

(sorry if this has already been mentioned I don't think I read it)

We also don't have a set election date. Within five years the Prime Minister will ask the GG to dissolve Parliament and call an election. In theory if the Prime Minister didn't within five years then the GG would be able to.

Also the GG invites the winner of the election to form the government. If for some reason it was unclear who the winner is then it would be the GG job to sort it out.

Thanks for all the answers!
When the GG is nominated does he/she have to be approved by a committee or does he/she just take over?

He/She is appointed by the Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister.

In reality the Prime Minister tells the Queen who he wants I don't think the Queen has ever said no and I don't know if she looks at the person (or a short list) herself.

Ahh. Thanks. :D

Oppie said:
He/She is appointed by the Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister.

In reality the Prime Minister tells the Queen who he wants I don't think the Queen has ever said no and I don't know if she looks at the person (or a short list) herself.

That's probably right..she has better things to do...

I just wanted to add my bit to the question abou Tony Blair representing the Queen. I think thats a notion some people might have if they're not familiar with constitutional monarchies. The Prime Minister, whether British or Canadian, does not represent the Queen. He is elected by the people and represents the government. Its the same in other constitutional monarchies. The Queen, and in the Canadian case her vice-regal representative the Governor General, is supposed to be above politics. Thats something I think I lot of people appreciate about constitutional monarchies, a unifying, impartial figure to look up to.
The GG's role has been explained beautifully by some of the other Canadian members. While his/her mandate is largely ceremonial with "reserve powers", every once in a while they can be called on to make really important decisions, like the fate of a minority government.

It would be interesting to see what role Mme. Jean might have to play in the near future regarding the PM's minority gov't. The former GG, Adrienne Clarkson, suggested in a farewell speech in Toronto that she played a bigger role in the political crisis this past summer than most Canadians realize.

Last edited:
Lady Jennifer said:

In Canada the roles of the Head of State and Head of Government are seperate entities. Queen Elizabeth II is Queen of Canada (a role legally seperate from her role as Queen of the UK) and Canada's Head of State, while the Prime Minister, presently Paul Martin, is the Head of Government.

Since the Queen does not live in Canada, and out of tradition spends most of her time as Queen of the United Kingdom, the Governor General of Canada is the direct representative of the Queen at the federal level of government and performs the great majority of the Queen's duties on a day-to-day basis. (The Queen is represented seperatly in each of the provinces by a Lieutenant Governor).

The Governor General is appointed by the Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister of Canada. When a new GG is appointed, Rideau Hall (the GG's principal residence, the Queen also stays here when in Ottawa) creates Letters Patent (a legal document granting the new GG to act as the Queen's representative at "Her Majesty's Pleasure"). This letter is given royal assent (approval) by the Queen who signs the letter than sends it back to Rideau Hall. It is later read out during the new GG's investiture ceremony.

The Governor General performs nearly of the Queen's duties and is sometimes refered to as Canada's de facto Head of State (head of state in all but name). The Governor General is Commander-In-Chief of the Canadian Armed forces, and also administers the Canadian Honours system on the Queen's behalf. He/She gives royal assent to all Canadian bills (signs them into law). The GG also represents Canada abroad often. The GG, like the Queen, is mainly a ceremonal figure who has no real political power and normally serves five to seven years in office. The GG's most important political roles are to appoint a Prime Minister after a general election, ensure that Canada always has a Prime Minister, and swear in the Prime Minister and members of the Queen's Privy Counsel (the cabient)

However, there are some duties that are the Queen's and the Queen's alone. Only the Queen can create a new official Canadain Honour (eg the Order of Canada). Only the Queen can approve adding additional seats to the Sentate. Only the Queen can approve a new province to enter Canada. Only the Queen can appoint and dismiss a Governor General. Only the Queen can approve the extention of a GG's term in office. All Political Power is invested in the Queen (in reality however, the Prime MInister has all the political power, but this is why all laws are past in the Queen's name). The Queen is COmmander-in-Cheif of Canada (however since 1947, the GG has performed the role in order to have a resident C and C). Also, the Queen must give her approval if the GG wishes to leave Canada for any reason.

Governer-Generals New Year Speech

I had no idea they did this. I was just fliping through the channels and I stumbled upon it. It is really nice. Does only Canada do it or do other commonwealth realms do it. I love GG Michaëlle Jean. She is so charismatic. Her eyes ooze optimism and she has that enthusiastc smile. She is a great leader for Canada. I love her voice and accent. You also get a nice view of Rideau Hall.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060101/2006_GGmichaellejeanmessage_20060101/20060101?hub=TopStories (includes video of the speech)

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/01/01/gg-newyear060101.html

Princejonnhy25 said:
I had no idea they did this. I was just fliping through the channels and I stumbled upon it. It is really nice. Does only Canada do it or do other commonwealth realms do it. I love GG Michaëlle Jean. She is so charismatic. Her eyes ooze optimism and she has that enthusiastc smile. She is a great leader for Canada. I love her voice and accent. You also get a nice view of Rideau Hall.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060101/2006_GGmichaellejeanmessage_20060101/20060101?hub=TopStories (includes video of the speech)

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/01/01/gg-newyear060101.html

so is she the queen's represenative in Canada?

Yes she is Her Majestys represenitive in Canada. The Dominions de facto head of state.

Princejonnhy25 said:
Yes she is Her Majestys represenitive in Canada. The Dominions de facto head of state.

does the queen pick the person? does the incoming GG travel to buckingham palace to get invested? (that would be so cool for them!)

The Queen appoints them by advise from the Prime Minister of their respective nations. They do not travel to Buckingham Palace though they might meet the Queen. This one traveled to Balmoral with her whole family and met the Queen. It was a very informal meeting and the Queen looked like an old granny during the meeting. I loved it. They have an investiture ceremony in their respective captials. Thats when I fell in love with Michaelle. There was controversy over her in the begining but watching the investiture ceremony and hearing her speech she really proved herself.

http://www.gg.ca/media/doc.asp?lang=e&DocID=4651

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean
New Year Message

Recorded at Rideau Hall, Monday, December 19, 2005

"Dear Friends,
I am pleased to offer you greetings as we look back on some of the events that shaped 2005 and called on us all to stand together. This past year will be remembered for its harshness. You may recall that it began on a tragic note with the tsunami that devastated entire populations in Southeast Asia. Several other natural disasters struck other regions of the world. The flooding in Haiti and New Orleans, hurricanes along the Florida coastline, the earthquake in Pakistan, to name but a few.........."

P.S. Elections were held today in Canada after the goverment collapsed in December. The State Opening of Parliament will take place soon and it will be the New GG's first one. I for one am exited to see Michaelle open parilament and hear her read the speech. I will make sure to post a bunch of pics when it happens. Also, is the Canada the only Commonwealth realm where the GG does a New Years speech. What is the history behind it.

Princejohnny25 said:
Also, is the Canada the only Commonwealth realm where the GG does a New Years speech.

In Australia The Governor-General places the emphasis on Her Majesty The Queens' Christmas speech, but as we have a national day of celebration just over a month after Christmas, they don't record a New Years speech. Following the same logic, the presentation of awards of the Australia Day Honours List occurs on Ausatralia Day (26th of January), rather than on New Years Day (our other main presentation being HM The Queen's official Birthday).

Stephen Harper is sworn-in as Canada's Prime Minister as Governor General Michaelle Jean (R) looks on during a ceremony at Rideau Hall in Ottawa, February 6, 2006. (Chris Wattie/Reuters)

Stephen Harper (R) reacts to applause after being sworn-in as Canada's Prime Minister during a ceremony at Rideau Hall with Governor General Michaelle Jean (L) in Ottawa February 6, 2006. Harper was sworn-in as Canada's 22nd Prime Minister Monday. REUTERS/Chris Wattie & AP/Canadian Press

Canada's Governor General Michaelle Jean and Prime Minister Stephen Harper talk during the swearing-in ceremony in Ottawa Monday Feb. 6, 2006. Harper was sworn in as Canada's 22nd prime minister.(AP PHOTO/Adrian Wyld/CP)

Prime Minister Stephen Harper (bottom row, fourth from left) poses for a photograph with his new cabinet and Governor General Michaelle Jean (beside Harper) after a swearing-in ceremony in Ottawa, Monday, Feb. 6, 2006.(AP PHOTO/Fred Chartrand/CP)

Governor General Michaelle Jean congratulates Prime Minister Stephen Harper after he was sworn in as Canada's 22nd prime minister in Ottawa, Monday, Feb. 6, 2006. (AP PHOTO/CP, Adrian Wyld)

Screencaps
The Governor-General, her husband Jean Daniel-Lafond and PM Harper

Your Governor-General seems like a warm and nice person, very photogenic. :)

I agree Australian, from what I've observed so far, the media seems to love her.

Polfoto 17-02-2006 Music producer David Foster was invested to the Order of Canada as an officer by Gov. General Michaelle Jean during a ceremony at Rideau Hall in Ottawa, Friday, Feb. 17, 2006. The Victoria-born music impresario donned his humanitarian hat Thursday to announce that after 20 years of helping British Columbia families with children who need organ transplants, his foundation is going national. Established in 1986, the David Foster Foundation helps fund non-medical needs of families who have a child undergoing an organ transplant. (AP Photo/CP, Fred Chartrand & Reuters)

Canadian actor Steve Smith (L) is congratulated by Governor General Michaelle Jean after being awarded the rank of Member in the Order of Canada at Rideau Hall in Ottawa February 17, 2006. The award is to recognize outstanding achievement and service in various fields of human endeavour and is the country's highest honor for lifetime achievement. REUTERS/Chris Wattie

Canadian physicist Richard Taylor (L) reacts with Governor General Michaelle Jean after being awarded the rank of Companion in the Order of Canada. Taylor won the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1990. REUTERS/Chris Wattie

Canadian jazz vocalist Ranee Lee (L) is congratulated by Governor General Michaelle Jean after being awarded the rank of Member in the Order of Canada.REUTERS/Chris Wattie

Canadian computer pioneer Mers Kutt (L) is congratulated by Governor General Michaelle Jean after being awarded the rank of Member in the Order of Canada. Kutt is recognized as the inventor of the first personal computer. REUTERS/Chris Wattie

Canadian businessman Brian MacNeill (L) is congratulated by Governor General Michaelle Jean after being awarded the rank of Member in the Order of Canada. MacNeill is Petro-Canada's chairman of the board and chair of Dofasco's board of directors. REUTERS/Chris Wattie

Canadian entertainer Jean-Guy Moreau (L) is awarded the rank of Member in the Order of Canada by Governor General Michaelle Jean at Rideau Hall in Ottawa February 17, 2006. REUTERS/Chris Wattie

I just love her. She is so charismatic and warm. She seems at ease with everyone she meets. She is also very photogenic and has that great smile which of coarse will give her a boost with the media. There was so much controversy when she was first choosen but I think everyone has forgotten about that.

Sorry PrinceJohnny - it's unfortunate but no one here has really forgotten about her controversy. They quite often refer to Mr Lafond as «her controversial husband», after all he's the one the controverse came from. Good grief he also looks so much older than her.

I must say Princess Bellyflop, I feel quite differently. Are you referring to Quebec? because Im pretty sure elsewhere its a different story. When the media covers an event related to the GG sometimes there's a passing mention of the initial controversy but then they promptly move on to the event at hand. The GG's not so much in the media but I usually pay attention to the coverage. Her first official visit was very successful, she was greeted by huge welcoming crowds in Manitoba, and lets not forget headlines like "A star is born." Even I was somewhat surprised by this. And only recently when I was watching the coverage of her first official visit to Quebec, reporters were raving about her, how gorgeous she looked.
You rarely hear the newsmedia commenting on someone's looks that way.
From what I observed, the media (the English media anyway) fell in love with her starting with her swearing in.
Even in Quebec you had huge support for her from Haitians.
Not to mention the polls that showed a support for her from a majority of Quebecers (more than 70%).
My impression is that most people, and most definately the media, have moved on from the initial controversy. People are more interested in seeing the GG in action, how well she can perform her duty.

Governor General's First Official Visit to Ontario February 19 to 21, 2006

OTTAWA, Feb. 17 /CNW Telbec/ - Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaelle Jean, Governor General of Canada will travel to Toronto on her first official visit to Ontario, February 19 to 21, 2006. Traditionally, governors general travel to each province and territory during the first year of their mandate to meet with Canadians in their respective communities. The detailed itinerary is attached. The schedule is subject to change.​
Detailed schedule

Back
Top Bottom