The Queen and Canada: Residences, Governor General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Justin Trudeau will meet the Queen at Holyrood Palace ahead of the G20 summit.

He said: "Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's commitment to public service has long inspired me and many other Canadians.

"With this year marking the 150th anniversary of Confederation, I look forward to thanking her personally for her dedication to our country, and for carrying out her duties with such grace and strength."

Read more: https://stv.tv/news/east-central/1392384-canadian-pm-justin-trudeau-announces-edinburgh-visit/

I look forward to it and hope we get a video of the greeting, as we did last time he met her.

Beautiful portrait! I think out of all HM's brooches, if I had to pick one of them to borrow, even for a very short while, it would be her maple leaf brooch. Living in the Detroit area for most of my life, I've spent many, many happy times in Canada. Seeing the Canadian maple leaf always makes me a tad bit homesick.

Beautiful portrait of an amazing monarch.

The Queen's approval rating in Canada is now at 84% (almost as high as in the UK).

53% wants to end the ties with the monarchy when the Queen dies, but if we exclude Quebec, then there are a large majority for retaining it.

This poll from Ipsos Canada for Global News came out two days ago, but I forgot to post it - watch both videos for more information:

2 min video - The Prince of Wales and the duchess of Cornwall will arrive in Canada Thursday to take part in Ottawa’s big Canada Day celebrations. Charles and Camilla are here because Queen Elizabeth — now 91 — is largely restricting her travel. But as our Chief Political Correspondent David Akin reports, if Canadians had their pick, they’d much prefer the Queen than her son:
New poll reveals what Canadians think of royal family | Watch News Videos Online

3 min video - Darrell Bricker from IPSOS discusses a new poll that looks at Canadians attitudes towards the Royal Family:
Are Canadians over the Royal Family? | Watch News Videos Online

Last edited:
:previous: Article with videos of both the audience and Trudeau's remarks:
Trudeau has audience with the Queen after receiving honorary doctorate in Edinburgh - Politics - CBC News
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he had a "warm and engaged conversation" with Queen Elizabeth during a private meeting in Edinburgh Wednesday.

In brief remarks outside the Queen's official Scottish residence, the Palace of Holyroodhouse, Trudeau also said he offered the monarch the Canadian flag that flew above the Peace Tower on July 1, the 150th anniversary of Confederation.

"It was as it often is, as it always is, a warm and engaged conversation in which she displayed knowledge and interest on a wide range of global affairs and goings-on in Canada," Trudeau said. "It's always a pleasure to meet with her."

The Queen had a very good day...

She rode on a cute boat, she met a cute, posy-nibbling pony, and she met with (cute) Prime Minister Trudeau.

:previous: You're welcome! :)

Roya Nikkhah‏ @RoyaNikkhah
The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh will visit Canada House inTrafalgar Square on July 19th to celebrate #Canada150

BREAKING: Julie Payette is the next Governor General of Canada, CBC News has confirmed. #cdnpoli

She is an astronaut

Why don't you like her Rudolph? Just wondering...

ROYAL NORWAY, I don't envy her, as His Excellency, The Rt Hon David Johnston has been one of the best Governor Generals Canada's ever had & anyone following him has a very tough act to follow. Having said that, I think Julie is an excellent choice.

Yes, she's an Astronaut, but she's also a People Person & is great w/kids. Plus being able to speak seven different languages will be a huge advantage both to Julie & Canada when making Diplomatic Trips on our behalf.

As an Astronaut, she knows Military Protocols & Procedure backwards, forwards & upside down. [emoji6] That will also be a huge advantage in the coming years as Commander in Chief of the Military. Not to mention all the personal contacts she has w/in both the US & Russian Military thanks to all those years spent in the Astronaut Corps. That's nothing to be casual about.

I think this is a great choice & that Julie will be a very good Governor General for Canada.

I'm a little surprised - I was half expecting it to be Peter Mansbridge!

I should say, that's a joke, as he wouldn't have been considered; the GG role alternates between someone from an English speaking background and someone from a French speaking background, and Mansbridge is English. But the last 4 GGs appointed under the Liberals (Sauvé, LeBlanc, Clarkson, and Jean) have had a background with CBC/Radio-Canada, so I was expecting this appointment to follow that trend.

I'm excited for a change in GG as I'm not a huge fan of how current GG David Johnston has fulfilled the role. I have mixed feelings about Payette's background - I like it when the GG comes from a non-political background for a number of reasons, but I also acknowledge that it can be problematic when the GG doesn't have a firm understanding of the governmental side of role. I think Michaëlle Jean did a wonderful job of fulfilling the cultural side of her role, but her background made things a bit more difficult when she was in a position to challenge the sitting PM - if a similar situation had arisen (or rather situations) under a GG who had a better understanding of what he/she could do, I think they may have played out differently.

In all honesty, I was expecting a Francophone individual (likely female) who was an ethnic minority (I was actually hoping someone who was First Nations), from a non-political background with ties to CBC/Radio-Canada.

That said, Payette is not who I expected to be named GG, but I'm looking forward to seeing how she approaches the role. I think she could very likely bring something that we've not seen in that role before, which I think is great.

Thanks to Rudolph, Tiggersk8 and Ish!

I'm excited for a change in GG as I'm not a huge fan of how current GG David Johnston has fulfilled the role.
Interesting - and (if you have time) can you explain why?

https://www.royal.uk/announcement-next-governor-general-canada
Her Majesty The Queen, on the recommendation of The Prime Minister of Canada, Mr Justin Trudeau, has approved the appointment of Ms. Julie Payette as the next Governor General of Canada

Ms. Payette will serve in succession to His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston who has served since 1st October 2010.

The installation ceremony for Ms. Payette will take place later this year.

Julie Payette OC, CQ
Julie Payette is an astronaut, engineer, scientific broadcaster and corporate director.

From 1992 to 2013, Ms. Payette worked as an astronaut and flew two missions in space. She also served many years as CAPCOM (Capsule Communicator) at NASA’s Mission Control Center in Houston, Texas, and was Chief Astronaut for the Canadian Space Agency.

She is well respected for her work in developing policies to promote science and technology. From 2011 to 2013, she worked as a scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, D.C., and was appointed scientific authority for Quebec in the United States. Between July 2013 and October 2016, she served as CEO of the Montréal Science Centre.

Ms. Payette is active in multiple facets of the community. She has produced several scientific outreach short programs on Radio-Canada and is a member of McGill University’s Faculty of Engineering Advisory Board. She has served on the boards of the Montréal Science Centre foundation, Robotique FIRST Québec, Drug Free Kids Canada, and the Montreal Bach Festival. She has long served on the board of Own The Podium, a granting organization dedicated to high performance sport in Canada, and has recently been appointed to the International Olympic Committee Women in Sports Commission. She has served as a Director of Développement Aéroport Saint-Hubert de Longueuil and of the National Bank of Canada.

Ms. Payette is a member of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec and a fellow of the International Academy of Astronautics. She obtained an International Baccalaureate from the United World College of the Atlantic in the United Kingdom, a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering from McGill University, and a Master’s in Computer Engineering from the University of Toronto. In addition, Ms. Payette can converse in six languages, holds a commercial pilot license and is an administratrice de sociétés certifiée (ASC is equivalent to the Institute of Corporate Directors, Director [ICD.D] designation).

Ms. Payette has received many distinctions and 27 honorary doctorates. She is a Knight of the Ordre national du Québec and an Officer of the Order of Canada.

Thanks to Rudolph, Tiggersk8 and Ish!

Interesting - and (if you have time) can you explain why?

Hmm.. it's hard to put into words.

Part of it is that I don't particularly like his public speaking style; for me I find him hard to connect to when he speaks.

Part of it, though, is that he's an older, while male who really had an "old boy's club" demeanour to him. I think if he's been appointed prior to Adrienne Clarkson and Michaëlle Jean I wouldn't have given his tenure a second thought, but because of the different approach that they took to the role I was a bit disappointed by the more traditional approach David Johnston has taken...

Clarkson and Jean are both individuals with their flaws and controversies, and I think they both made missteps in regards to the role they were expected to play in relation to the Queen - particularly in that they both acted as though they were the head of state, rather than the head of state's representative.

But they both had these amazing traits that revitalized the role. They are both well educated women who came to Canada as refugees and had broadcasting jobs before becoming GG (not immediately before, but in their background). This I think made them more interesting to watch/listen to when doing speeches than Johnston, and I really think helped influence a different attitude towards Canada than Johnston has. I loved how Clarkson made this point of travelling extensively within Canada to meet with Canadians. I loved how she was this huge promoter of Canadian arts, and how she worked with Aboriginal groups (which is something Canada is not good at). Jean was less active than Clarkson, but she continued this work and I loved how she did things like partaking in the Inuit seal feast shortly after the European Parliament banned the import of Canadian seal products. I loved how she went to Africa to promote women's rights and blogged about her experience.

Johnston, I feel, has been somewhat less... lively. He's played it safe; he doesn't have the same controversies as his predecessors, but I also feel like he doesn't have the same achievements either. That and the controversies he's been involved in.... his two immediate predecessors are a black woman and a Chinese woman who worked closely with Canada's Aboriginals. Johnston is a white man who refused to engage with Aboriginal leaders during the Idle No More movement and recently referred to the Indigenous people of Canada as "immigrants".

I like that he was a monarchist and strong supporter of the military. And as a white man myself, I certainly won't hold that against him. Go white men!

Hah... it's not that he's a white man persay, it's... how to put it into words.

There's been a lot out of the Conservative Party of Canada the last couple years - since the niqab issue really came up under the Harper government - about "old stock" Canadians; that is Canadians who are of white, European descent. There is something inherently racist, xenophobic, and in my opinion un-Canadian about that attitude. Canada has become a country of multiculturalism and diversity, and while we definitely have an issue with racism it's something that I feel we should be work towards overcoming, not embracing.

David Johnston is by no means a racist and has actually spoken against that type of thinking, but in being an older, white man appointed under a Conservative government he does kind of represent that idea of "old stock Canadians" that the Conservative Party has tried to push.

It's something that he's in a tough spot to overcome... were Clarkson or Jean GG at a time when the government of Canada was preaching the values of "old stock Canadians" they wouldn't have ever looked like agreed simply because they are women of colour. But Johnston is in a position where he has to speak out against it, but because of his avoidance of appearing to be political (which I don't criticize him for at all - he shouldn't be), he's in a hard spot to be more vocal against such attitudes, when it's coming from the government.

Again, it's not really something that Johnston himself can be faulted for, and I think had he been GG in the 90s or early 2000s, it's not something that would have been an issue. Or if he'd followed Clarkson or Jean, instead of both... or even if he'd taken more of a middling approach between their approach and the GGs of old's approach....

That said, Rudolph, I do agree with you on his being a monarchist, and that being a good thing. I think one of the biggest weaknesses that Clarkson and Jean had compared to Johnston wasn't that they weren't monarchists (Clarkson has outright called herself a monarchist), but that they didn't have the grasp of the legalities of their role... they made GG more about Canada and less about the monarch (not entirely a bad thing), and presented themselves as the head of state instead of the head of state's representatives (which I thoroughly disagree with). In this regards, I think Johnston has done much better than either of them did. But I think there's more to it than just that, and it's in other regards that I think he lacked.

David Johnston @GGDavidJohnston
For the last time as Governor General, I will be meeting with Her Majesty The Queen this afternoon at Buckingham Palace. @RoyalFamily

Governor General David Johnston breaks royal protocol by touching the Queen as she leaving from Canada House

Canada's Governor General blames 'slippy' carpet for royal protocol breach - BBC News

I think this entire article is completely nonsensical! The Queen is 91 the natural reaction is to ensure she doesn't fall. I think Her Majesty is on the ball enough to know that people are being protective of her rather than 'breaching protocol'. Clearly a slow day at the BBC!!

In one way the Governor General and the High Commissioner caused the problem my walking either side of the Queen rather than allowing her to go first so she could move to the side and hold the handrail as the DoE did. That said I don't think its a massive problem or something the Queen would be bothered about at all. As RoyalProtocol said the Queen was probably aware they were only trying to help rather than be too overfamiliar or breach protocol.

Indeed, RoyalProtocol.

He was being an attentive gentleman!
Does the "protocol" dictate that it's better to let QEII fall?

What a silly thing to write. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom