The Queen and Canada: Residences, Governor General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is not exactly the same strong republican debate in Canada as there is in Australia. One could probably say the same thing about a monarchist debate as well. If there was a GG with republican feelings most likely they would have been from Quebec, but I dont think any GG has had a history of expressing a wish for a republic in Canada. Even after leaving office most GG's have refrained from expressing political beliefs other than a belief in national unity during independence campaigns in Quebec.

Have any recent GG's of Canada been from Quebec?

There is a tradition of althernating between Anglophone and Francophone Governors Generals, and usually the Francophone is from Quebec. The previous Governor General was the beautiful Michaele Jean. Born in Haiti but came to Canada as a child and grew up in Quebec. She had a career with the CBC before her appointment. Both she and certainly her husband were rumoured to have seperatist tendancies or at least to be friendly with a lot of Quebec intellectuals who were known seperatists. As GG she performed her duties with great warmth and style and was actually quite popular. Some hoped the Prime Minister would extend her term, but there didnt seem to be a lot of love lost between the 2 of them (mostly for other political reasons during his minority government). 4 GG's have hailed from Quebec. The other Francophone GG was from New Brunswick.

Have any recent GG's of Canada been from Quebec?

Michaëlle Jean, who was in office from 2005 until 2010, lived in Quebec from the age of nine. It's traditional for governors general to come alternately from the anglophone and francophone communities. While there are francophone people outside of Quebec, most live in Quebec, so they'll quite commonly come from Quebec. Roméo LeBlanc was the only francophone governor general to not have significant ties to Quebec (Jeanne Sauvé was born in Saskatchewan and raised in Ontario, but she moved to Quebec as a young adult and was elected to the House of Commons from there).

Hypotheticals

This question is hypothetical and hopefully will remain so, but if Quebec ever did seceed from the Canadian federation, what would be the position of the crown in an independent Quebec, would there be an automatic severing of the link, or would the Queen continue as " Queen of Quebec " represented by a Governor-General?

That would depend on the wishes of the people of Quebec. They would have the option of separation as an independent realm with The Queen as Head of State or becoming a republic with some form of president or even create their own royal family.

Given Quebecers response to the monarchy for the last 50 years I have no doubt at all that they would opt for a republic. Staying within the Commonwealth would be a different question. They are already members of La Francophonie.

Right. He was the first Acadian governor-general, a great source of pride to the folks here in New Brunswick. :flowers:
Roméo LeBlanc was the only francophone governor general to not have significant ties to Quebec.

Jacques Parizeau (the Premier of Quebec at the time of the last referendum) is said to have floated the idea of keeping the monarchy, but he's just a touch strange, so I doubt there was anyone else on his side really supporting that idea.

The position of Governor General has always interested me and following on from Carolyn Harris` posting above, i have a question. Viscount Alexander was the last Briton to be appointed GG, and since then all successive Governor Generals have been Canadian citizens, representing Elizabeth in her position as Queen of Canada. Have they all been Canadian Monarchists, though?

1.Vincent Massey- lawyer, later diplomat, first Canadian envoy to a foreign capital (DC) with full diplomatic credentials. Was a member of the liberal party, friend of William Lyon Mackenzie King. Served in the king's privy counsel before he was appointed diplomat and later governor general.

2.George Vanier-military hero and diplomat, King's envoy extaordinaire. He was the first Francophone, and started the tradition of alternating between angliphones and franciphones. Was a staunch liberal, when John Diefenbaker appointed him GG (he himself a conservative). The quebec sepratist movement had grown at this time.

3.Roland Michener- Alberta born attorney and politician, member of the PC party. Friend of Liberal Lester Pearson, who appointed him high commisioner to India and Nepal. Before he became GG. First Canadian GG to make official state visits, usually only the monarch did.

4. Jules Leger-Liberal diplomat and politician. He taught diplomacy, and was an ambassador to numerous countries including Mexico and Italy. Was under-secratary of state under Lester Pearson and later Piere Trudeau.

5. Edward Schreyer- NDP party politician (first non-diplomat). He was leader of Manitoba's NDP opposition, when he stepped down, and accepted the position of GG.

6. Jeanne Sauve (first female)- Saskatchewan born journalist for the CBC, who later served as a minister of the crown (serves as minister to the reigning sovereign, seen as an advisor to the GG and sovereign) before her appointment as GG.

7.Ray Hnatyshyn- another from Saskatchewan. PC politician in Saskatoon, former lawyer and law professor. Twice served as minister of the crown, two non-consecutive terms.

8. Romeo Leblanc- Liberal, radio journalist and politician. Was press secratary for Pearson and Trudeau, minister of fishers, speaker of the house. Was minister of the crown as well.

9.Adrienne Clarkson-not actually born Canadian, came at the age of 2 as a refugee from Hong Kong. Mainly a CBC producer, and print journalist, but also did some diplomatic work in Europe.

10. Michelle Jean- like Adrienne, not born a Canadian. She was 11 when she came to Canada as a refugee from Haiti. Journalist and actress

11. David Johnstone- college professor and administrator, who involved himself in politics.

So there are some patterns

not born in Canada: 2 (Clarkson and Jean)
men: 8
women: 3
diplomats: 5
ministers of the crown: 3
career politicians (not as diplomats): 5 (3 libs, 1 PC, 1 NDP)
journalists: 3

Commemoration?

This year marks the bicentennial of the outbreak of the war of 1812, an extremely important event in history, but regretably, largely forgotten now. There are no plans for any official commemorations here in the UK, but what of Canada? Surely such an important event in the history and development of the nation, is not being overlooked?

Jacques Parizeau (the Premier of Quebec at the time of the last referendum) is said to have floated the idea of keeping the monarchy, but he's just a touch strange, so I doubt there was anyone else on his side really supporting that idea.

That's so funny to read for me - a Quebecer. Parizeau floated the idea of keeping the Canadian dollar, not the monarchy. He respects Queen Elizabeth the person but does not adhere to what she represents for us French-speaking Quebecers. Being a true stateman, he never gave into any monarchy-bashing. After all, like the previous leaders of this separatist movement he believed that if you want respect you should give and show respect.

Oh, I'm sure it's possible (probably even likely) that he was misconstrued in some way; it's just something that I've seen in little lists of trivia about either him or the Canadian monarchy.

ETA: He says that a sovereign Quebec should be a republic in a book published in 2009, so the anecdotes are almost certainly incorrect.

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks for posting Carolyn. It's a pleasure to read your work and have you share it with us.

This year marks the bicentennial of the outbreak of the war of 1812, an extremely important event in history, but regretably, largely forgotten now. There are no plans for any official commemorations here in the UK, but what of Canada? Surely such an important event in the history and development of the nation, is not being overlooked?

The bicentennial is indeed being commemorated, with the Canadian government spending millions over the next couple of years to mark the occasion.
You can google 'war of 1812 commemoration events' or check out this page for some info: War of 1812 Bicentennial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Portrait of Queen by Canadian artist unveiled at Buckingham Palace

The first thing that struck the Queen was the sheer size of the woman looking back at her.

At six feet two inches, she had never seen herself quite so tall.

The monarch, who stands 5'4" in real life, took a moment to admire the new portrait of herself. A hush fell over the dignitaries gathered in the White Drawing Room of Buckingham Palace. Everyone wanted to hear the Queen’s assessment.

She turned to the Canadian artist who painted the portrait.

“It’s changed quite a bit since I last saw it,” she said.

“Yes,” Phil Richards replied. “It went from six inches to this.”

Everyone laughed. Then the Queen turned to her representative in Canada.

“Do you think you’re going to have to rebuild Rideau Hall?” she asked.

“We’ll find a spot for it,” Gov. Gen. David Johnston replied.
Portrait of Queen by Canadian artist unveiled at Buckingham Palace - The Globe and Mail

I found the Queen's joke about rebuilding Rideau Hall so funny. It is indeed a massive portrait. Perhaps her biggest? Or are there bigger ones around?

Behind the Queen is an archway through which a portrait of Canada's first monarch, Queen Victoria, can be seen. She of course, also celebrated her Diamond Jubilee.

Here's a brief news report from the CBC: CBC.ca Player

The Governor-General's website also has a picture: The Governor General of Canada > Photos > Visit to London - Queen's Diamond Jubilee - Day 4

A couple of pictures of the Prime Minister's audience with the Queen and the unveiling of the portrait: ImageShack Album - 6 images

The portrait will return to Ottawa later this month, until then it will be on display at Canada House.

Last edited:
I wish the Australian government would commission a similar one for somewhere in Canberra *longing sigh*. It's a very impressive portrait, but is it me or does the Queen look twice as tall in the portrait as she does in real life? :ermm:

“It’s changed quite a bit since I last saw it,” she said.

“Yes,” Phil Richards replied. “It went from six inches to this.”

Everyone laughed. Then the Queen turned to her representative in Canada.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who had a little giggle at this comment? :lol:

A better look at the painting: Diamond Jubilee portrait

Some interesting info. on the portrait:

. . . The painting includes a number of symbolic elements that represent aspects of Her Majesty’s 60 years of service to Canada.

For example, Her Majesty is depicted wearing her Canadian honours.

Resting against two Victorian ink pots is a copy of the British North America Act of 1867 that was signed by Queen Victoria and repatriated in 1982 during Her Majesty’s reign.

The vase is embossed with The Queen’s Canadian Diamond Jubilee Emblem. Painting of Her Majesty - About the Diamond Jubilee - Diamond Jubilee

Another article:
PM attends unveiling of new Canadian portrait of The Queen and announces Canada's contribution to the Diamond Jubilee Trust - Prime Minister of Canada

Canadians warm to Prince Charles
Prince Charles - the future king of England - has a few more admirers on this side of the pond than he did a year ago, according to a new poll from Ipsos Reid. While the majority of Canadians (54 per cent) still would like to see the 63-year-old Charles step aside in favour of allowing his son, Prince William, to take the throne, that number is down. Just last year, 60 per cent wanted Charles to take a pass on the succession.

The numbers show the image shift seems to be working - particularly among young Canadians. While 60 per cent of Canadians over age 55 would prefer to see Prince William wear the crown, younger Canadians are split down the middle. They are "much more supportive" of the idea of Charles as king, with half firmly in his camp.

The poll also shows that while 61 per cent Canadians - across age groups - believe Canada should maintain its ties to the monarchy after the Queen dies, new Canadians (63 per cent) are more likely to support the monarchy in Canada. Wright said "new Canadian citizens are looking for icons that they can actually hang onto in order to become more Canadian." Support for maintaining a constitutional monarchy was highest in Alberta with 77 per cent, and lowest in Quebec, where only 28 per cent of people support the Queen's claim in Canada.

Governor General to Unveil Canada Post Stamp Commemorating the 60th Anniversary of Her Majesty’s Coronation:

Their Excellencies the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, and Mrs. Sharon Johnston, along with Deepak Chopra, President and CEO of Canada Post, will unveil a postage stamp commemorating the 60th anniversary of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation, during a ceremony at Rideau Hall on Wednesday, May 8, 2013, at 10 a.m-

New Canadian Stamp To Honour Queen Elizabeth

Monarchy’s role in government: Most Canadians want fixes, but how?
Monarchy

Monarchy’s role in government: Most Canadians want fixes, but how?
Monarchy

Dman - thanks for this excellent and informative article. Those of us who read it will no longer make flip comments about the issue. Hint hint. :flowers:

I find that here in America, we often are offered the argument "it would take a constitutional amendment" as a reason to not even try for reforms. Sadly - we buy that as credible. In fact, there were 6 amendments enacted in the last 50 years (here) of the 20 century. Several of these related to how we select our President, an issue relatively as important as the role of the monarch.

Of course, our current national Congress is so ineffective that they seem only to be motivated by interruptions to their ease of travel. ;)

Modern companies look to "Best Practices" of other companies in order to generate change, efficiency and effectiveness. I find that when I look at the Constitutional issues and practices of other countries, it's possible to see the different way governments can be effective. Not that I think Constitutions should copy one another - but rather they can serve as platforms for different ideas and reforms.

Sorry for the rant. I WAS a good article and it will be interesting to see Canadians work through the issue. :flowers:

Governor General David Johnston has stripped Conrad Black of his Order of Canada: Official Press Release

Canada strips former publisher Conrad Black of honors | Reuters

. . . The government on Friday terminated his appointment as an officer of the Order of Canada, which recognizes a lifetime of high achievement and merit.

It also removed him from the Queen's Privy Council for Canada, ostensibly a group of cabinet ministers and other prominent Canadians appointed to advise Queen Elizabeth, Canada's head of state, though for distinguished individuals outside of the cabinet it is mainly a mark of honor.

Conrad Black removed from the Order of Canada and stripped of Privy Council position | National Post

. . . In 2012 comments to the National Post, Mr. Black said he was fighting to keep the Order as a matter of principle. “Whether I am actually an officer of [the Order of Canada] is not especially important, but the process is,” Mr. Black said in a 2012 email to the National Post, “and no one should be threatened with deprivation of such an honour on the basis of anonymous officials in a secret proceeding slavishly following a rogue foreign judge, in a, to say the least, unrigorous finding.”

Ontario appeal court upholds oath to the Queen in citizenship case | CTV News
"The oath to the Queen of Canada is an oath to our form of government, as symbolized by the Queen as the apex of our Canadian parliamentary system of constitutional monarchy," Weiler wrote in her decision.

"Applying a purposive and progressive approach to the wording of the oath, with regard to its history in Canada and the evolution of our country, leads to the conclusion that the oath is a symbolic commitment to be governed as a democratic constitutional monarchy unless and until democratically changed."

"Because the Queen remains the head of our government, any oath that commits the would-be citizen to the principles of Canada's government is implicitly an oath to the Queen."
Kelly McParland: Court ruling confirms Canadian citizenship comes with the Queen, like it or not | National Post
When you apply to become a citizen of a country, it’s not the responsibility of the country to change its style of government to suit your needs. You don’t get to pick and choose which parts of a country are satisfactory to your needs, and reject the rest. If the three applicants can’t accept that, there’s no need for them to become citizens. They’ll be the worse for it, not Canada.

Back
Top Bottom