The Queen and Canada: Residences, Governor General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonderful news is right!! :eek:) Thanks for the info bweir!!

I just read about this. Interesting news. I don't know how I feel about it yet or why this change was necessary at this time.

MacKay: Renaming military corrects 'historical mistake'

Canada's air force and navy will undergo a name change that honours the military's royal roots, Defence Minister Peter MacKay announced Tuesday.

Speaking in Halifax, MacKay said the Canadian air force, now officially named Air Command, will be renamed the Royal Canadian Air Force.

The navy, now called Maritime Command, will once again be known as the Royal Canadian Navy.
And the army, known as Land Force Command, will now be called the Canadian Army.

MacKay said the decision corrects a "historical mistake" that was made when the various branches of the military were renamed around 1970, with the word "royal" removed. CTV Edmonton - MacKay: Renaming military corrects 'historical mistake' - CTV News

I just read about this. Interesting news. I don't know how I feel about it yet or why this change was necessary at this time.

MacKay: Renaming military corrects 'historical mistake'

As an American, I have to admit that the name changes in Canada reflects a very big sense of history. I don't think it deflects from Canada being its own unique republic but a country that has far reaching roots into history and is proud to show it. Over the years, the armed service that has mostly stood out for me when I think of Canada is its brightly clad Royal Canadian Mounted Police who "always get their man". :)

It may have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it but can anyone think of a better way to honor HM the Queen for her Diamond Jubilee? I'm willing to bet that she's tickled pink.

:previous:Well that's how the government is portraying it. I hope that's truly their intention and this isn't about undoing something their rivals (the Liberals) did nearly 30 years ago. Although I admit that this latest decision is completely in line with the present government's pro-monarchy stance.

I hope that's truly their intention and this isn't about undoing something their rivals (the Liberals) did nearly 30 years ago.

Well, the Liberals aren't exactly their chief rivals at the moment. :lol:

Well, the Liberals aren't exactly their chief rivals at the moment. :lol:
But they have been historically...as is their ideology and that of a lot of people who aren't traditionalists or monarchists.
I can see where some of the criticism is coming from. I do feel that this is a political decision on the government's part, it'll win them some points with conservatives.

Last edited:
Incredibly sad news today

Death of the leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition

August 22, 2011

Message from His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, following the death of the leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, the Honourable Jack Layton

OTTAWA— My wife, Sharon, and I join all Canadians in deeply mourning the loss of Jack Layton today.
As leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, Mr. Layton was held in great esteem by Canadians for his passionate dedication to the public good. Throughout his career as a community leader and politician, he constantly strived to bring people together in the common cause of building a better Canada, and he did so with great energy and commitment. His fundamental decency and his love of our country serve as examples to us all, and he will be greatly missed.
We wish to extend our sincerest condolences to Mr. Layton's wife, Ms. Olivia Chow, and their family, friends and colleagues in this most difficult time. Our thoughts are with you.

Thanks for the link to His Excelleny's Statement Humera and sad news doesn't even cover it. This Country of ours lost a good man on Monday morning and one who truly cared about and for Canada and fought for Canada as well.

He is going to be deeply missed. :eek:(

As an American, I have to admit that the name changes in Canada reflects a very big sense of history. I don't think it deflects from Canada being its own unique republic but a country that has far reaching roots into history and is proud to show it. :)

FYI, Canada is not a republic. Canada is a constitutional monarchy headed by HM Queen Elizabeth II, The Queen of Canada.

FYI, Canada is not a republic. Canada is a constitutional monarchy headed by HM Queen Elizabeth II, The Queen of Canada.

OOOPS..my big mistake. I'm glad I have folks around like you that correct me. :)

If you see news reports about Royal visits to Canada, Osipi, I'm guessing that American newscasters refer to the Queen et. al. as "The Queen of England" (a mistake in itself) rather than The Queen of Canada or even "Canada's Queen."

OOOPS..my big mistake. I'm glad I have folks around like you that correct me. :)

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that HM's picture had been hanging in embassies but was taken down during the years that her picture was being taken off various denominations of bills and so on. ;)

I was actually quite surprised to find that this was not already the case.

The updated article has a quote that makes it sound like it was the usual practice anyways:

"Gar Pardy, a former Canadian diplomat, recalled one foreign mission where Canada didn’t hang the Queen. “I remember that most embassies use to carry a picture of the Queen somewhere in the public area. The only exception was Argentina and there for obvious reasons,” he said, referring to the Falklands War."

Does the royal family have a residence in Canada and the commonwealth realms?

When in Ottawa The Queen stays at Rideau Hall which is the official residence of the Governor General. There is no "royal" residence that is specific to the monarch or her family in Canada. If there were it would be vacant almost all the time.

Can someone list all the prerogative, reserve or whatever powers that Her Majesty the Queen of Canada, can exercise theoretically or exercised before? I am pretty sure she can dissolve Parliament and declare war (provided Parliament approves to preserve Canada's democratic principles) as well as refuse to grant the Royal assent and give Royal pardons.

She can refuse the royal assent, but never ever would.

Question

The position of Governor General has always interested me and following on from Carolyn Harris` posting above, i have a question. Viscount Alexander was the last Briton to be appointed GG, and since then all successive Governor Generals have been Canadian citizens, representing Elizabeth in her position as Queen of Canada. Have they all been Canadian Monarchists, though?

I'm not sure it's a question that's been frequently asked of them. It's not exactly the most salient issue, and from their appointments onward they usually only speak on political questions in relative generalities, so it might be hard to extract that information.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Thanks anyway. I suppose the very fact that they accept the appointment in the first place, would give some indication as to their personal opinions on the Canadian Monarchy. There was a republican GG in Australia ( Bill Hayden ) but of course, this did not effect the way he carried out his duties, on behalf of the Queen, and i`m quite sure the same could be said of any Canadian GG who may have had similar sympathies.

The interesting thing with Bill Hayden was that he started out his time as GG as an avowed republican but by the end of his term he had become a supporter of the monarchy. I suppose that having carried out the duties of the monarch he came to realise the worth of a constitutional monarchy.

From that knowledge I suppose that something similar could have happened to any non-monarchist GG in Canada.

The incumbent Governor-General, Ms Quentin Bryce, is herself rumoured to be a republican sympathiser. This however remains unconfirmed.

In her capacity as GG, she performs her vice regal responsibilities with such grace and is a wonderful representative of the Crown prerogative.

I'd expect that should any Canadian Governor General hold republican sentiment, that it would not hinder their ability to serve term(s) in the specified position. It is afterall not about the indavidual, per say, but the service to one's nation.

Last edited:
Thank you.

The interesting thing with Bill Hayden was that he started out his time as GG as an avowed republican but by the end of his term he had become a supporter of the monarchy. I suppose that having carried out the duties of the monarch he came to realise the worth of a constitutional monarchy.

From that knowledge I suppose that something similar could have happened to any non-monarchist GG in Canada.
Thanks for that interesting information about Bill Hayden, i did`nt know that he had changed his opinion, perhaps Monarchy does have a mystical power, after all ?!! Seriously, i do agree with your point that individual GG`s in Canada, Australia and elsewhere would indeed come to appreciate the benefits and strength of the office, regardless of any pre-concieved ideas they may have had on the relevance of the Monarchy.

The incumbent Governor-General, Ms Quentin, Bryce, is herself rumoured to be a republican sympathiser. This however remains unconfirmed.

In her capacity as GG, she performs her vice regal responsibilities with such grace and is a wonderful representative of the Crown prerogative.

I'd expect that should any Canadian Governor General hold republican sentiment, that it would not hinder their ability to serve term(s) in the specified position. It is afterall not about the indavidual, per say, but the service to one's nation.
I could`nt agree more.

Back
Top Bottom