The Queen and Australia: Residences, Governor-General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Curryong but as soon as I read "members of the Royal Family have been warmly welcomed by most Australians since 1867" I switched off. That is simply not possible. One only has to look at the crowd turn out for the Queen on her last visit, including the sourcing of children to give her flowers, etc. At best, the author could say that most "Australians don't care".

If most Australians supported the monarchy, the turn out would be much better than what we see. Crowds turn out in far greater numbers for lesser occasions. Have a look at the Oprah turn out. :D

I'm glad I read the article because it gave me a laugh, but for an unintended reason.

I found it amusing and telling that the Sydney-dwelling author is the Royal Correspondent for 2Max FM 91.3 at ... drum roll ... Narrabri. Narrabri! :ROFLMAO: She has a monthly segment there. :lol: I'm sure the CWA ladies of Narrabri and Wee Waa and environs enjoy her show, too. They probably gather around the wireless together to listen to it, with their knitting and crochet and some nice cheese scones and cakes and cups of tea, talking about the latest issue of the Women's Weekly.

Perhaps you have to know Narrabri to get the joke, but to me the fact she is Royal Correspondent to a community radio station in the conservative North-West New South Wales wheat/sheep/cotton belt says a lot about the real level of interest in the Royal Family in this country.

The problem with the wording in the article is that it generalises and leaves people assuming it is true.

It's alway nice to see the crowds - of any country - greet the Queen and wave flags etc, but common sense tells you that it's only those bothered or who have the time on their hands to wait for the Queen to arrive. Others who stay at home or have to work may watch events on the news later, others still will have no interest.

I am from the UK and very much a supporter of the monarchy and our lovely Queen. Nonetheless, only once in all my life have I gone to an event the Queen was attending to see her and that was only because in was close by to where I worked and at lunchtime.

Clearly there is some support for the Monarchy in Australia, but without some polls one can only guess as to what that support might be. So are there any recent polls in Australia concerning the Monarchy? We seem to have them quite regularly here in the UK!

:previous: Just pic the right one and it will give you the figures you want!

I'd say majority probably don't care and wouldn't know much or anything about the family. The rest may be divided into monarchists and republicans.

:previous: Just pic the right one and it will give you the figures you want!

I'd say majority probably don't care and wouldn't know much or anything about the family. The rest may be divided into monarchists and republicans.

And even amongst those who identify as monarchists and republicans, there is a scale of level of commitment. I think a lot of monarchists are of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind.

The problem with the wording in the article is that it generalises and leaves people assuming it is true.

It's alway nice to see the crowds - of any country - greet the Queen and wave flags etc, but common sense tells you that it's only those bothered or who have the time on their hands to wait for the Queen to arrive. Others who stay at home or have to work may watch events on the news later, others still will have no interest.

I am from the UK and very much a supporter of the monarchy and our lovely Queen. Nonetheless, only once in all my life have I gone to an event the Queen was attending to see her and that was only because in was close by to where I worked and at lunchtime.

Clearly there is some support for the Monarchy in Australia, but without some polls one can only guess as to what that support might be. So are there any recent polls in Australia concerning the Monarchy? We seem to have them quite regularly here in the UK!

Most recent polls I found on the web show support for the republic in the upper 30's, slightly below support for the monarchy in the low 40's. "Neutral" or "undecided" respondents hover around 20 %. Surprisingly, republican support among younger Australians is also only around 35 %.

Republican cause takes heavy knock in poll

If those figures stand, I'd say that likelihood of the monarchy being abolished in Australia in the near future is very low.

Last edited:
And even amongst those who identify as monarchists and republicans, there is a scale of level of commitment. I think a lot of monarchists are of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind.

Yeah, I was one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type. No more.:big grin:

Used to be in that undecided 20%.;)

Well, well, well! Interesting things happening here at the moment. Malcolm Turnbull might be our Prime Minister by tomorrow morning.

:hornets:

I haven't been this interested in what is happening in Canberra since 11 November 1975.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
:previous: Oooooh, and suddenly, Australia as a republic could be around the corner! :lol:

As much as I would like to think so it didn't happen when the ALP were in power and Turnbull was leader of the opposition so unless he can see some political capital in it I don't see him moving that way, if elected as PM this evening. At this time the vote hasn't happened. I do think that neither side will move while The Queen is alive but ... I am rarely right on anything so this will probably be another of those occasions.

Apologies, can someone enlighten me please? :)

And the winner is....Malcolm Turnbull with Julia Bishop as deputy leader.

Republic here we come!

As much as I would like a republic I still don't think it will happen for some time - simply because both sides of politics have said they won't do so during the current reign.

For those not understanding what has happened: The PM of Australia has changed from the monarchist PM Abbott to the Republican Turnbull - former leader of the Australian Republican Movement. He was the Leader of the Opposition when Kevin Rudd was elected as PM after the defeat of the Howard government and there was no move then towards a republic.

The republicans won't move on the issue until they are fairly sure of winning and that won't be overnight. It is possible that a plebiscite could be held with the next election asking the simple question 'do you want Australia to become a republic?' If that gets a Yes vote then they can start to negotiations on the type of republic, which could take years.

I would like it to happen and would also like to see a proposal that the republic takes effect the instant the Queen dies with the simple process that the incumbent GG immediately becomes President, rather than Charles becoming King, and then whatever process we decide to use to choose the new President comes into force. If we wait until the new reign to even vote there will be emotion in the vote etc which could delay it even further.

I'd like to hear the Australian view on why Abbot was toppled?
(He is being described as "controversial" in DK press.)

And how come you've had so many PM's recently?

From a [non Australian] viewpoint - because he was a laughing stock, and his crude statements and repellent views on many subjects painted Australia in a TERRIBLE light to the rest of the world.

With all due respect, voting for a republic without knowing a priori what kind of republic you will get doesn't make any sense. Let me remind you that the term "republic" alone can actually be anything, from the People's Republic of China to the Republic of Zimbabwe or the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela.

If republicans are serious about changing the system of government that has served Australia remarkably well since 1901, they have to present to the voters their complete choice of republican model, including how the Head of State will be elected and what his/her powers will be vis a vis the parliament and the PM/cabinet. Otherwise, they are asking to be given basically a blank check. I sincerely hope monarchists in Australia will not allow that to happen.

As much as I would like a republic I still don't think it will happen for some time - simply because both sides of politics have said they won't do so during the current reign.

For those not understanding what has happened: The PM of Australia has changed from the monarchist PM Abbott to the Republican Turnbull - former leader of the Australian Republican Movement. He was the Leader of the Opposition when Kevin Rudd was elected as PM after the defeat of the Howard government and there was no move then towards a republic.

The republicans won't move on the issue until they are fairly sure of winning and that won't be overnight. It is possible that a plebiscite could be held with the next election asking the simple question 'do you want Australia to become a republic?' If that gets a Yes vote then they can start to negotiations on the type of republic, which could take years.

I would like it to happen and would also like to see a proposal that the republic takes effect the instant the Queen dies with the simple process that the incumbent GG immediately becomes President, rather than Charles becoming King, and then whatever process we decide to use to choose the new President comes into force. If we wait until the new reign to even vote there will be emotion in the vote etc which could delay it even further.

Hi Muhler,
Tony was on borrowed time since he narrowly escaped Macolm Turnbull's challenge earlier this year, in the opinion of many political pundits here.

Abbott and his Treasurer Joe Hockey got off on the wrong foot with the Australian electorate since this government's first budget, which was a very tough one. Many sections of the community were affected by it and I think the Government have been on the back foot ever since.

The poll numbers have been dreadful for the Abbott government for months and MP's have become worried about their own seats in next year's election. In addition it appears that Abbott has been somewhat isolated from his front bench, not listening to their concerns. Some have blamed the advisers in his office for this.

So what would Australians like to be asked in regards to "getting rid" of the monarchy?

And I am presuming, Australia would remain in the commonwealth of nations?

I certainly would object to being asked to vote for a republic without knowing exactly which model(s) are being proposed. I don't want the Governor General to be transformed into a defacto President either, thanks, even temporarily.

I don't believe that Australia will leave the Commonwealth no matter what happens.

Last edited:
Does it even matter whether Australia is a republic or not. Such a none issue and slap in the face to HM.

Thanks, Wyewale and Curryong :flowers:

I must confess I haven't heard why Abott should be controversial.

But surely Abott is not responsible for, how many is it, five or six PM's in recent years? So what is going on?

Australia had a recession later than many other parts of the world. The need to make harsh economic decisions coincided with two very ambitious individuals on the front bench in each of the two main political parties.

This led to destabilisation and consequently bad poll numbers for both the Rudd/Gillard Labor Govenments and the Liberals under Abbott. Abbott had replaced Turnbull as Oppposition leader but Malcom Turnbull has been biding his time. I don't approve of it, as I believe an elected Prime Minister should have a full term in office to prove himself. It's increasingly poll driven, IMO.

Last edited:
Does it even matter whether Australia is a republic or not. Such a none issue and slap in the face to HM.

It matters a great deal to Australia and it's people. Quite insulting that you would insinuate otherwise.

It's not in anyway a "non issue", it is in fact a big issue for Australia and it's people. I believe they should have the choice of having a "home grown leader".

(I don't mean that to sound offensive to any Aussie's, I hope people understand my meaning)

How is it a slap in the face the HM? What has she done for Australia, what has the current British monarchy done for Australia?
If as previously stated a child of Queen Victoria's had been placed on the throne, and become King/Queen in their own right, things would be different.

Australia should be independent should they wish.

And seriously, Scotland a country physically attached to England and Wales held a referendum as to whether they should separate from the United Kingdom and everything that went with it including to an extent The Queen. If they got a shot so should Australia, a country thousands of miles away with no connection to the UK.

Last edited:
It's not just a question of choosing a republic. Australians should also be allowed to retain the monarchy if we wish. The last referendum on a possible republic failed.

I'm unsure of how the Australians will like funding a President AND a PM.. Presumably they pay the cost of a GG at the moment, and the cost of the visits by HMQ, and her family ?

Has it been estimated how the different systems might compare on price ?

Thanks, Wyewale, for your short briefing. :flowers:

Without wishing to to take sides, I do hope that if or when Australia becomes a republic it is with a solid margin, not merely a 49-51 result.

Because republicans (and those who favor independence elsewhere as well) can lose as many referendums as it takes, those in favor of a monarchy can only lose one.

Australian prime minister Tony Abbott ousted by staunch republican Malcom Turnbull - Telegraph
Mr Turnbull oversaw the bid for the nation to remove the British monarch as head of state – an attempt which ultimately failed at a referendum in 1999. He did not comment on Monday on whether he will now try to lead a shift to a republic.

“Of course policies change … but they will be when people should have the confidence that we will be making decisions in a thoughtful and considered manner,” he said.

“There has never been a more exciting time to be alive than today and there has never been a more exciting time to be an Australian.”

Mr Turnbull will formally become prime minister when he is sworn in by the Governor-General, the Queen’s representative, in the coming days – an occasion which will be tinged with irony, given the incoming leader’s lifelong devotion to the republican cause.

I'm unsure of how the Australians will like funding a President AND a PM.. Presumably they pay the cost of a GG at the moment, and the cost of the visits by HMQ, and her family ?

Has it been estimated how the different systems might compare on price ?

One thing I imagine will change is that if Australia opts to have an president that is elected by the people, candidates most likely will spent a gazillion dollars in campaign funds and the public will be able to see some serious mudslinging between candidates happen. Our next president here in the States will be elected in November 2016 and the circus has already started here in full force.

:D

One thing I imagine will change is that if Australia opts to have an president that is elected by the people, candidates most likely will spent a gazillion dollars in campaign funds and the public will be able to see some serious mudslinging between candidates happen. Our next president here in the States will be elected in November 2016 and the circus has already started here in full force.

I never understood why some are so eager to bring this circus to countries that have a constitutional monarchy. I was hoping that watching idiots in the States would be enough to deter anyone. It's not even 2016, and the craziness is in full swing. I'm afraid to think of how it'll be come this time next year.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Perhaps naively, I do not consider that it is likely that Australia would accept the sort of presidential republic that you have in the US, so therefore the sort of circus you have over there with long and expensive presidential campaigns is unlikely to happen here.

I - again perhaps naively - think that even those who favour a directly elected president still envisage a parliamentary model where parliament is paramount and the president is essentially a ceremonial figurehead without a separate mandate to go off on a frolic of his/her own and do important things without parliamentary approval.

Back
Top Bottom