The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-24-2020, 02:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
A letter from Prince Charles to Sir John Kerr written several months after the Dismissal, has turned up in the Australian, in which he expresses sympathy for Sir John's position and his actions of the year before (1975.)

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...tlam-condemned
I know that Jenny Hocking is a Whitlam supporter and possibly a republican, who is still bitter about the reveal of the Palace letters in July and mostly nick pick things out of context, but I think Charles should not have sent a "sympathy letter" to John Kerr. The reason is that it would show Charles is leaning on one side of the political controversy and not neutral. Unless, he also sent a "sympathetic letter" to Gough Whitlam, but then again, even if he does that, he would also dragged the monarchy into politics.

The part that drives the controversy was
“What you did last year was right and the courageous thing to do – and most Australians seemed to endorse your decision when it came to the point.”
Again, Charles should have done what The Queen did by staying away from politics. And I'm quite serious about Charles involvement in contentious issues, because that was one the main reasons that drives the republican movement in Australia.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:44 AM
Serene Highness

The Australian has published an article claiming that Sir John Kerr has the confidence of Malcolm Fraser and Buckingham Palace, based on newly released documents.

Revealed: How palace and prime minister’s misgivings led Sir John Kerr to resign
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...6e66319751dd9c

Both Paul Kelly and Troy Bramston (the writers of the above article) are the author of a new book, The Truth of the Palace Letters: Deceit, Ambush and Dismissal In 1975, due to be released on 3rd November.

https://books.google.com.au/books/ab...on&redir_esc=y

I know the link may be behind a paywall if you have access the recent The Australian's articles to the limit.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:27 PM
Royal Highness

I've never the understood why the Prince of Wales thinks it a good idea to involve himself with politics either in the UK or Australia or anywhere else for that matter. Surely he must realise that it does a lot more harm than good.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:45 PM
Serene Highness

The online Ipsos poll conducted for The Age (left-leaning), The Sydney Morning Herald (centrist) and Nine News asked 1222 Australian (aged 18+) on the question: Do you think Australia should become a republic?
Yes: 34%
No: 40%
Don’t know: 26%

[Apologies on the table not being lined up]
By age group:
18-24 25-39 40-54 55+
Yes 26% 34% 34% 34%
No 34% 35% 40% 45%
Don’t know 41% 31% 26% 22%

By voting intention (Coalition: Centre-right, Labor: Centre-left, Green: Left):
Coalition Labor Greens
Yes 27% 41% 46%
No 52% 34% 30%
Don’t know 21% 25% 25%

By country of birth:
Aus Other
Yes 33% 38%
No 41% 37%
Don’t know 26% 25%

https://www.theage.com.au/national/n...25-p56wpe.html

Ipsos director Jessica Elgood mentioned that this 34% was the lowest recorded by Ipsos and Nielsen polls since 1979.

Quote:
Ipsos director Jessica Elgood said 34 per cent support for republic was the lowest recorded by Ipsos and Nielsen polls since 1979.

She said she was surprised support was so low, but the country had been preoccupied with other issues, including bushfires and the COVID-19 pandemic.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:59 PM
Majesty

As an Aussie I echo the Ipsos director's remarks regarding the present support levels for a republic. With terrible bushfires followed almost immediately by the arrival of a pandemic the last thing Australians have been thinking about in the last twelve months is installing a republic, with all its associated expense.

I've always said that the litmus test for a serious debate about an Australian republic will come after the death of the present Queen. There is a great deal of respect for her here.

At the moment she is alive and well and long may she remain so. However, the feeling for Charles and Camilla is different. We shall see what happens in the future.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:25 PM
Courtier

Also as an Aussie I would agree with Curryong’s comments that Australia has had a lot of other issues to deal with.

I love the Royals however am a strong supporter of a republic in Australia but do feel that one of the issues now impacting the issue of a republic is the low standing of politicians in the country.

A decade ago even if you disagreed with a politician you respected their position as an MP. Now, we seem to have lost that and surveys have shown (particularly in recent elections) that people, particularly younger voters are losing respect for the political parties etc and we are seeing an increase in independent members of parliament at a federal and state level. The problem for a republic is that the only model we have had put forward (intentionally at that time) was one that was tied up in our politicians choosing the head of state. If people feel they can’t trust the politicians then they like a figurehead who is above that and a different model will need to be put forward.

My daughter is about to turn 16 and is definitely not as supportive of a republic as me. She sees the queen as a grandmother type figure and was not around for the Charles/Camilla/Diana triangle and therefore cares more about the fact that Charles looks after the environment which is important to her generation. The statistics above show that young people are not as worried about a republic and I wonder if that is because they never knew Diana and so don’t have that immediate deep seated reaction to Charles that those of us who are older do. By the time we get to a vote this generation will be voting in a Republic referendum.

The Queen dying will be a catalyst for a Republic in Australia and I have no doubt that it will happen but I don’t believe that if it happened in the next three years it would be the massive vote it once would have been.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:09 AM
Serene Highness

I know that this post might have been late. From Court Circular, The Queen had a telephone meeting with the Governor-General of Australia on 16th April at Windsor Castle.

Quote:
16 April 2021
Windsor Castle
His Excellency the Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia (General the Hon. David Hurley) had an audience with The Queen by telephone today.
https://www.royal.uk/court-circular?...F04%2F2021&id=
Old 05-04-2021, 02:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
As an Aussie I echo the Ipsos director's remarks regarding the present support levels for a republic. With terrible bushfires followed almost immediately by the arrival of a pandemic the last thing Australians have been thinking about in the last twelve months is installing a republic, with all its associated expense.

I've always said that the litmus test for a serious debate about an Australian republic will come after the death of the present Queen. There is a great deal of respect for her here.

At the moment she is alive and well and long may she remain so. However, the feeling for Charles and Camilla is different. We shall see what happens in the future.
Always interesting to hear about this debate in Australia. What would replace the present system? A directly elected president? And what powers would a president have? Would Ireland be the model followed?
Old 05-04-2021, 08:03 PM
Majesty

Well, that’s a deeply interesting question isn’t it? And one that came up constantly in the debate before the referenda we had in the 1990s, which was lost for the republic side. Several of their leaders came out at the time and said that the question had been defeated on what form of Presidency not being fully sorted out before the Referendum was held and being made clear on the form.

The sort of President countries like Ireland have, who mostly concern themselves with ceremonial duties and are not involved in politics, appointed by Parliament or the PM, would be the least contentious. It is the sort of thing our Governors General do now (though THEY have far reaching powers as well.)

However in surveys taken before the referendum that wasn’t the sort of Presidency the majority of Australians were enthusiastic about. They appeared to want a US style Presidency elected by the people.

As that is obviously not very compatible with the Westminster style of government it’s hardly surprising that republican- minded govt ministers and members of the House of Representatives weren’t particularly happy with that model.

Maybe the Australian public have changed their minds about the sort of Presidency they want since the late 1990s. However, it is central to any future republic of Australia. There will have to be a great deal of debate and a lengthy Constitutional Convention held before a referenda is held next time. I do think it will come nevertheless, in the next reign.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:45 PM
Heir Apparent

The Australian Republic Movement promotes an Irish-style republic, not the sort the USA has. An Irish-style system would slip most easily into our current parliamentary system and involve minimal change. It would give the people the power to decide who their head of state is going to be as they would have the final say from the pool selected by whatever method is adopted.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:15 PM
Majesty

Yes, and it would be the safe and sure model. However, everything is on the back burner at the moment due to the pandemic etc. When the question of an Australian republic comes to the fore again, and it will, I’m not so sure that adherents of the US presidential system won’t pop their heads up once more.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Roslyn and Curryong are quite right. I might also add that I believe people here would also prefer to remain within the Commonwealth family, even if we do become a republic.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:38 PM
Royal Highness

Many thanks for those posts in answer to my question.

It's certainly an interesting topic. I fully understand why Australians might chose to replace the crown but it would still be sad to think our two countries (plus others) no longer had this symbolic link with each other.

Tags
australia, british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, governor general, julia gillard, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii